Puffy vs. Tempur Pedic
Are you looking for a mattress with a softer feel? Do you want to feel like you’re sleeping on clouds? If so, you should know that buying a high-performance soft mattress is not an easy thing to do. In this review, we’ll be comparing two soft mattresses: Puffy vs Tempur Pedic to help you avoid the tedious process of choosing.
There are a wide range of choices available on today’s market, and it may be hard for you to pick a quality soft mattress that will suit all your needs and sleep preferences, but that will also maintain its original shape, comfort and support properties regardless of how long you use it.
Both the Puffy and Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze are all foam mattresses, both feel soft to the touch, and both provide the right balance of comfort and support necessary for a continuous and restful sleep, but which one would better suit you?
Keep reading and you’ll find out. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Puffy is a 10″ mattress made of 3 layers of proprietary designed memory foam:
- 2″ Top Cooling layer – The top layer is made of 2″ of patent pending Cooling Cloud gel infused memory foam designed to provide cooling cooling and comfort.
- 2″ Support Layer – This layer is made of 2″ of special ClimateComfort Foam designed to keep your spine properly aligned while providing extraordinary pressure relief on all temperature and humidity levels which makes it resistant to contractions and expansions that often occur from extreme temperatures.
- 6″ Bottom layer – This foundation layer is made of 6″ of dense support foam, that is designed to be responsive and the company claims 4x the support of traditional support foam layers.
The Puffy mattress incorporates a patent-pending Cooling Cloud gel infused memory foam in its top cooling layer that helps keep the mattress cool and comfortable. It also has a deep comfort core support layer that provides the underlying support for sleepers.
The Puffy has an extremely soft cover that wicks away moisture and heat and creates a cool and comfortable sleeping surface.
Firmness and Support
The Puffy is a universal comfort type memory foam mattress, designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers. We felt it was a medium soft mattress, coming in around a 5/6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being firmest).
As always, firmness is largerly weight dependent, and Andrew compressed the top comfort layer of the Puffy mattress more than I did as he weights considerably more than I (230lbs vs. 115), and while the Puffy was more on the softer side for Andrew as its top comfort layer compressed quite a bit under his weight, for me it was not so soft.
Andrew’s weight was fairly distributed when lying on the mattress, but when he sat up on the bed, he felt the harder support layer as he basically bottomed out.
As I have already mentioned when lying his weight was fairly distributed across the bed, and the Puffy worked well for us as side sleepers by supporting our hips and shoulders without causing numbness or stiffness which is often the case with firmer mattresses.
The Puffy is a rather comfortable mattress. Its top comfort layer of foam provides a bit of responsiveness and bounce without causing too much sinkage typical for most memory foam mattresses, though heavier sleepers like Andrew may push down into the mattress more than those with lighter weight.
In addition, the mattress has a very soft and comfortable exterior that works together with the top comfort layer to provide a comfortable sleeping surface. The softness of the cover combined with the initial soft response from the memory foam layers does a great job at providing a comfortable night’s sleep.
The Puffy mattress sleeps quite cool due to its thin cover and the presence of the gel-infused foam layer designed to provide air flow and breathability.
It retains a minimal amount of heat, which is to be expected given its all foam construction, but it is nothing too serious, and it does not cause sweating and the feeling of stickiness usually present with memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
As for sinkage, there was a bit of it with this mattress, but it was nothing too extreme. It is true that Andrew quickly compressed its top comfort layer and came to rest on the firmer support layer beneath, especially when sitting near the edge, but I experienced a minimal amount of it, and it did not cause me to roll towards Andrew or feel as if I was sinking into a hole.
There was some motion transfer with the Puffy when Andrew adjusted positions during the night which, again, is to be expected due to our weight disparity, but there was not too much of it given its all foam construction designed to isolate and minimize motion transfer.
Smell / Off-Gassing
There was a small degree of off-gassing/smell, but it was nothing overpowering when compared to some other mattresses we have reviewed, so the Puffy mattress gets high marks in this category.
- Shipping – free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days
- Lifetime Warranty
- 101 Night Sleep Trial Period
- Made in the USA
The Puffy mattress comes in $950 for a queen, which is a very reasonable price given its overall comfort and quality materials used in its construction.
Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze
Construction and Materials
Tempur-Pedic, unlike other mattress companies, don’t share a lot of information about their technology. They consider it proprietary information, so there are not many details about the materials they use for the construction of their mattresses, density of the layers, etc.
Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze is an all-foam mattress by design and it is based on the following layers:
- PureCool+ Phase Change Top Layer: This is their new comfort layer that includes exclusive technology designed to wick heat away from the body and provide a cooling layer. All memory foam, no gel materials or anything, and not a lot of public information on exactly what the Breeze consists of.
- TEMPUR-CM+ Layer: This is their support layer, made of the advanced TEMPUR material which allows maximum airflow and works with the top layer to dissipate heat for all-night cooling comfort and provide overall sleep support.
- The Foundation Layer: This Layer is made of the Ventilated TEMPUR-APR material which is known to be one of the most pressure relieving materials ever and now it also comes with an ultra breathable design. It serves as the core foundation of this mattress and provides overall support and base for the mattress.
The cover of the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze comes with a SmartClimate Dual Cover System. It is an advanced zip-off cover with double the cool-to-touch power that cool and pleasant to the touch and that will also make you feel cooler when you lie down.
Firmness & Support
The new Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze soft model is quite soft when compared to other models just like the Puffy mattress. The PureCool+ Phase Change layer and TEMPUR-CM+ layer of this mattress place it around a 4-5 on a 10-point scale (10 being the firmest). So, when you lay on the mattress, you sink into it quite a bit, especially if you are a heavier sleeper like Andrew (230lbs).
The Tempur Pedic differs from many other memory foam mattresses in that it may initially seem to sleep hot or be too hard. However, the company recommends a 2-3 week “break-in” period for your body to acclimate to the mattress, and as the time passes your body totally adapts to it.
As it has been already mentioned, the new Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze soft is a very soft model and it gives you the feeling of sleeping on a could. It is extremely comfortable, it cushions your body and feels super luxurious.
Although it doesn’t have any special technology and materials included in its construction, its high-quality, heavy foam for which it is known perfectly conforms and adapts to your body.
Tempur Pedics used to be known for sleeping hot. The early models would be hot in the summer, and hard and cold in the winter. The ones we have used and slept on were no different.
The company has introduced their special cooling technology to address this, which is a key feature in the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze model which to a degree isn’t bad, but really is just more layers of memory foam designed to wick heat away.
These innovations are equally as effective as those of the mattresses including the newer heat regulating technology such as the use of copper, gel cooling layer or latex. Their new cooling technology does keep the mattress much cooler than previous generations of Tempur Pedic models for sure.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Tempur Pedics are known for having a very minimal motion transfer, due to the use of a high-quality dense foam in their construction.
However, sinkage with the new Cloud Luxe Breeze is a little pronounced as it is with the Puffy, because it is Tempur Pedic’s softest model, and when Andrew sat down on it, it compressed quite a bit but did not cause him to sink down to the foundation.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Although there was a significant chemical smell with the earlier Tempur Pedics, they seemed to have addressed this with the current models, and with their delivery of uncompressed mattresses. So, no noticeable smell comes from the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
Tempur Pedic used to sell their mattresses through major mattress retailers exclusively which helped them avoid dealing directly with the customers. Lately, however, they began selling their mattresses online as well.
Tempur Pedic customer service includes:
- 90 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- In-home delivery guaranteed by Tempur Pedic.
Although Tempur Pedics are generally expensive (a queen Cloud Luxe Breeze costs $4499), the company offers discounts which can help you save up to 30% on certain sizes of the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
Puffy vs. Tempur Pedic Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Puffy vs. Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze mattress.
|Puffy||Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze|
|Layers||3″ of patent-pending Cooling Cloud gel-infused memory foam, 7″ of dense support foam||PureCool+ Phase Change Top Layer, TEMPUR-CM+ Layer, Ventilated TEMPUR-APR Foundation Layer|
|Cover||Extremely soft, heat and moisture wicking cover||Thin, removable cotton cover|
|Firmness||5-6 out of 10||4-5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Minimal||Very minimal|
|Warranty||Lifetime Warranty||10 years|
|Trial Period||101 days||90 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days||In-home delivery|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Puffy mattress if you like:
- Softer mattresses – The Puffy mattress scores 5-6 on a firmness scale (10 being the firmest) which places it more on a softer side. It may work perfectly for you if you are a sleeper of a lighter weight. It will provide you with pressure point relief and a good balance of support and comfort necessary for all sleeping positions.
- Memory foam feel – The Puffy is an all foam mattress that will provide you with deep compression support, contouring and the hugging feeling typical for memory foam mattresses, but it will not cause you to sink too much and feel trapped in foam.
- Cool-sleeping mattresses – A thin and breathable cover of this mattress and the presence of the gel-infused foam layer make it sleep quite cool. It retains a minimal amount of heat and does not cause sweating and the feeling of stickiness typical for memory foam mattresses.
Choose Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze if you like:
- The feel of the memory foam – If you like the soft feel of full memory foam mattresses, then the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze may be the right choice for you. It is an all foam mattress, made of the high-quality dense foam layers that provide necessary comfort and hug typical for memory foam.
- Soft mattresses – Cloud Luxe Breeze a very soft all foam mattress. Its top comfort layers provide enough cushioning and they perfectly mold to your body.
- Sharing your bed – Memory foam is known for causing minimal or no motion transfer at all, and the Cloud Luxe Breeze does a good job at isolating excessive motion transfer as well due to its dense memory foam layers. Therefore, if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner, this mattress may be ideal for you. You can change your position or get in and out of bed during the night freely without disturbing your beloved one.