Saatva HD Mattress Review
Are you a heavier person looking for a mattress capable of meeting your specific needs? If so, the new premium innerspring hybrid bed that we’ll be reviewing today in our Saatva HD mattress review may be the right choice for you.
The Saatva company was founded in 2011, and although they originally started out selling innerspring mattresses, they have since expanded their product line to incorporate environmentally-friendly latex and memory foam mattresses known as the Zenhaven and the Loom & Leaf and the recently released Solaire Smart Adjustable bed.
The Saatva HD that we’ll be reviewing today is a mattress specially tailored to larger sleepers with its firm feel and thick 15.5″ profile. It combines coils and dense foam layers to create a mattress that relieves pressure points, sleeps incredibly cool and offers a long lasting support for heavier individuals.
This in-depth review of the Saatva HD mattress evaluates all of the criteria we use to determine what constitutes a good mattress, which includes firmness / support, comfort, sleeping hot, and other features as outlined below.
Hopefully this review will help you decide if the Saatva HD mattress is the right choice for you! Review updated
Is the Saatva HD Mattress Right for You?
Buy the Saatva HD mattress if you like:
- Mattresses that are suitable for heavier sleepers – The Saatva HD is an innerspring hybrid that provides just the right amount of support that the heavier sleepers need, while it also has enough softness and comfort in the upper foam and latex layers and plush pillow top to cushion their bodies and relieve pressure points.
- Buoyant mattresses – There is an optimal degree of bounce and responsiveness with this mattress coming from the use of the pocketed coils in its construction and latex layer.
- Mattresses with minimal amount of sinkage and motion transfer – The layers of thick foams and strong coil layer with 17-gauge helical wire help minimize movement between sleepers. Sinkage is also minimal with the Saatva HD due to the durable and sturdy materials used in the construction of this mattress and its incredible 15.5″ design.
- Mattresses that sleep cool – The mattress sleeps quite cool due to the use of the breathable cover, latex layer and coil system which all work together to allow greater airflow through the mattress, wick away moisture, dissipate excessive body heat and keep you cool and comfortable all night long.
You might not like the Saatva HD mattress if:
- You like softer mattresses – This mattress is specially designed to support heavier sleepers and offer a somewhat firmer feel. If you like soft mattresses, this one may not be the right pick for you.
- You don’t like buoyant mattresses – The Saatva HD is an innerspring hybrid with a high degree of bounce and responsiveness. If you don’t like buoyant mattresses, then this mattress may not be the right option for you.
Construction and Materials
The HD is a 15.5″ thick hybrid innerspring mattress made up of the following layers:
- Organic Cotton Pillow Top – This layer is made of plush and luxurious cushioning materials inserted underneath the breathable organic outer covering for a neater look. This pillow top is very breathable and more convenient than regular pillow tops as it is quilted tightly into the mattress itself which prevents shifting and provides consistent cushioning comfort and extraordinary pressure relief.
- Talalay Latex Layer with 5-Zone Support – This is the first comfort layer. It is a thick, 100% natural and hypoallergenic layer that offers a buoyant and responsive feel. It quickly responds to your movements and provides targeted support for your back and under your shoulders and hips. It also alleviates pain pressure and stiffness and is naturally aerated for cool sleep.
- Contouring Comfort Layers – Here we have a unique combination of dense memory foam and support foams that work together to contour and cushion your body and enhance pressure relief on your joints, while at the same time they aid in even weight distribution.
- High-Durability Coil Base – This layer is designed with 12.5-gauge tempered steel coils that are 25% stronger than the industry standard. It ensures a solid and durable foundation and is also threaded with 17-gauge helical wire to eliminate motion transfer. Besides this, a Patented Spinal Zone active wire adds lumbar support.
- Edge Support – A high-density foam rails encase top, bottom, and sides of the mattress. This creates a firmer, more supportive edge, makes it easier to get in and out of bed, and also increases sleeping surface of this bed.
The cover of the Saatva HD mattress is made from soft and breathable 100% organic cotton. It is quilted with foam and connected directly to the mattress to create that pillow top.
Besides this, the cotton in this cover is treated with the company’s special Guardin botanical antimicrobial fabric treatment which inhibits bacteria to prolong the life of the organic cotton fabric.
We were quite impressed with the luxuriousness and the quality of this cover, as it is vastly different from ordinary covers seen in most mattresses.
Firmness & Support
The Saatva HD mattress is designed to provide support that heavier sleepers need and we felt it to be around an 7.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being the firmest), so it is more on the medium-firm side.
We both felt this mattress to be more on the firmer side, although we initially felt a soft cushioning of its pillow top and latex and foam layers beneath.
This gave us the feeling of sleeping more on the top of the mattress rather than inside it. As mentioned, the latex and foam layers on top both cushioned and supported my body and, combined with the strong pocketed coil layer below, they did an excellent job of supporting my heavy weight and our weights combined sleeping as a couple and distributed them evenly across the bed.
As this mattress is designed with heavier individuals in mind, lighter individuals may find it to be too firm as it was the case with Kaye who is almost half of my weight.
I also felt it to be on the firmer end of the spectrum when I slept on my side. I felt some pressure on my hips and shoulders but still felt decent pressure relief too. As the Saatva HD is designed for people who weigh between 300 and 500 lb,
I believe that larger individuals will feel even better pressure relief and sink down more into the mattress than we did. While lying on my back I felt that extra lumbar support coming from the coils and latex layer.
There is also enough bounce and responsiveness to this mattress coming from its hybrid coil construction and latex layer which facilitates changing positions and getting in and out of bed during the night and which makes this mattress good for sex.
All in all, this mattress offers the amount of support that a heavy sleeper such as myself needs, although it is more on the firmer side due to the strong and quality materials used in its construction.
As mentioned, the Saatva HD mattress may feel more on the firmer side, especially if you are of a smaller frame and not so heavy, but it is also quite comfortable with its amazing 15.5″ thickness, quilted pillow top, latex layer and various high-quality foam layers which mold and hug your body and provide a comfortable sleeping surface.
As soon as you lie down on this mattress you will feel the softness and luxuriousness of the cover, pillow top, latex and other foam layers below that will cradle your body for pressure relief and provide enough responsiveness and bounce to prevent you from feeling stuck in foam.
The strong pocketed coil layer beneath will provide you with an excellent support and a nice lift and the feeling of sleeping on the top of a mattress rather than inside it.
The mattress also sleeps incredibly cool due to the use of a latex layer in its construction and coil system which allows greater airflow to keep you cool and comfortable throughout the night.
The Saatva HD mattress gets high marks in this category for sleeping incredibly cool during the night. Its breathable cover works perfectly with the latex layer to provide more airflow and breathability to the mattress and prevent overheating, while coil layer beneath aids in this.
Any mattress that is a hybrid bed featuring a coil system will sleep pretty cool and this one is not an exception either. The space between the coils allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress to prevent the build-up of excessive body heat and it guarantees that you won’t experience that sticky sweaty feeling typical for all foam mattresses and hybrid mattresses using foam in its construction.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Saatva HD mattress does an excellent job with minimizing the amount of sinkage, especially when compared to most other hybrid mattresses we have reviewed.
As we always tend to mention, sinkage and motion transfer are largely weight dependent and the fact that I weigh around 230 lbs tends to have a rather large bearing on the degree of sinkage I experience when sitting and lying on a mattress.
I often compress the top comfort layers of most hybrid mattresses quite a bit and reach their coil support layers which are hard and not so comfortable. But, this wasn’t the case with the Saatva HD.
Being designed specially for heavier sleepers, it is built of durable, highest quality materials and allows you to sink into its softer top layers to a certain degree and yet you won’t feel the coil construction beneath.
Although I compressed its soft pillow top and comfort layers beneath a little, I did not feel the coil layer. In addition, the strong 12.5-gauge tempered steel coils prevented me from sinking into the mattress and provided me with a nice lift and the feeling of sleeping on top of a mattress rather than inside it.
As for motion transfer, there is a minimal amount of it with this mattress. The 17-gauge helical wire works well with foam layers and does a good job of minimizing the amount of motion transfer.
The Saatva HD has excellent edge support. The reinforced perimeter uses extremely dense foam to create solid edges all the way around the mattress. This prevents sagging, increases overall support that this mattress offers and gives more usable sleeping space.
I sat and slept at times near the edges to test this and didn’t have them compressed under my weight too much. I also didn’t experience that sensation of “rolling off” the edges.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Off-gassing is non-existent with the Saatva mattresses. Off-gassing is a by-product of the chemicals used in the foam that create a sour odor when compressed, put in a bag and a box for shipping purposes and then opened at home.
The Saatva HD doesn’t have any noticeable smell as the company ships their mattresses uncompressed in their natural form. So, your mattress will be delivered directly to your doorstep and installed by professionals in your home.
They are one of the rare only online mattress companies that do this, and they are committed to a smaller carbon footprint and are members of the Sustainable Furnishings Council (SFC). Needless to say, no smelly chemical odor was present with our bed when we received it.
Customer service is something that Saatva prides itself on which is evident during the ordering process.
As the mattresses are made to order and delivered directly to you by truck and professionally installed, you have to first put in your zip code on the site to determine if they offer delivery to your area. As they have so many distribution facilities setup by now, this usually isn’t an issue.
Once you select the size and model of bed and place your order, within 24 hours you’ll receive a call confirming it and letting you know the expected delivery date.
The company representatives are extremely friendly and will walk you through the entire process, which for us was around 10 days. The delivery is arranged via a local delivery company who calls you the day before delivery is scheduled and then on the same day within an hour of delivery.
The guys that delivered our bed took away our older mattress, brought in the Saatva mattress, unwrapped and installed it in our room quickly and professionally.
Every person involved was extremely friendly and helpful, and the entire ordering process went super smoothly. High marks in this category.
Other customer attributes:
- 120 night sleep trial
- 20 year warranty
- Direct in-home delivery and setup with mattress removal
- Made in the USA
- Click here to save $200 on a Saatva HD
Price of the Saatva HD
The Saatva HD mattress comes in at only $2499 for a Queen which is a bit expensive, but this is quite a reasonable price given the exceptional quality of materials used in its construction and direct-to-home shipping and installation.
All in all the Saatva HD is an amazing new innerspring hybrid and can be a great match for heavier people and those looking for a long-term investment. Made of the highest quality, durable materials, it will improve the quality of your sleep and last for many years.
It provides just the right amount of support that the heavier sleepers need, while it also has enough softness and comfort in the upper foam and latex layers and plush pillow top to cushion their bodies and relieve pressure points.
There is also an optimal degree of bounce and responsiveness with this mattress coming from the use of the pocketed coils in its construction and latex layer.
Although this may cause some motion transfer, there won’t be much of it as the layers of thick foams and strong coil layer with 17-gauge helical wire help minimize movement between sleepers.
Sinkage is minimal with the Saatva HD due to the durable and sturdy materials used in the construction of this mattress and its incredible 15.5″ design.
The mattress also sleeps quite cool due to the use of the breathable cover, latex layer and coil system which all work together to allow greater airflow through the mattress, wick away moisture, dissipate excessive body heat and keep you cool and comfortable all night long.
So, if you are looking for a luxury and comfortable hybrid mattress that can support your heavy weight with ease and work perfectly for both you and your partner, you definitely can’t go wrong choosing the Saatva HD innerspring hybrid mattress.
We hope that this review of the Saatva HD mattress helps you in your next mattress purchase decision!
Construction / Materials9.5/10
Firmness & Support9.1/10
Sinkage & Motion Transfer9.4/10
Smell / Off-Gassing9.5/10
- In-Home Delivery
- Perfect for heavier sleepers
- High-quality materials
- Excellent edge support
- No smell / off-gassing
- May be too firm for those who prefer mattresses with a softer feel