Leesa Original vs. Nectar
Are you looking to buy an all foam mattress, but you are not sure which one to pick – Leesa Original vs Nectar? Are you eager to know how the Leesa Original mattress compares to the Nectar?
In this review, we’ll present you with the basic characteristics, pros, and cons of each mattress to make your decision easier and help you pick the right one for your needs. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Leesa Original is an all foam mattress that combines premium foams for extraordinary cooling, contouring and pressure-relieving support. It is composed of the following layers:
- 2″ Cooling Foam Top Layer – The top layer is 2″ of the special cooling foam, designed to provide both hug of a classic memory foam and enough bounce which facilitates moving around in bed and prevents you from feeling stuck in foam. The special structure of this foam also allows greater airflow through the mattress and aids in cooling.
- 2″ Contouring Memory Foam Layer – This layer is made up of 2″ of contouring memory foam designed to support the body and provide pressure relief and proper spinal alignment.
- 6″ Core Support Foam Base Layer – This layer is 6″ of dense support foam that serves as the foundation for the layers above and works with them to provide excellent support for all types of sleepers and all sleeping positions.
The Leesa Original has a seamless gray, twill fabric cover that is extremely soft to the touch. The cover works to provide a cool sleeping surface that is pleasant to the touch and increase the overall comfort and luxuriousness of this mattress.
Firmness and Support
The Leesa Original comes in a universal firmness option designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers, and it is around a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
However, firmness is largely weight dependent and I tended to compress the top layers less than Andrew who weights considerably more than I do. Unlike its predecessor, the Leesa Original mattress provided us with excellent support in all sleeping positions and did not cause Andrew to compress the mattress so much and bottom out when sitting up on it.
The Leesa Original mattress is a comfortable mattress. Its top comfort cooling foam layer is soft enough to mold to your body and offers incredible pressure relief to prevent the appearance of pressure points and dead arm sensation while it’s at the same time supportive enough to keep your spine properly aligned regardless of your the position you sleep in.
The special foams used in its construction also provide a bit of responsiveness and bounce which facilitates moving around and getting in and out of bed during the night.
Andrew felt this mattress was supportive enough for his heavy weight, and it didn’t cause him to reach the foundation of our bed. So, if you are a heavier sleeper, you will find this mattress quite comfortable and it’s thinner construction won’t affect your overall comfort and the quality of your sleep.
As for sleeping hot, the Leesa Original does a good job here, and it is about average in this category.
Its top comfort layer made of the special cooling foam combined with the soft breathable cover prevents the build-up of excessive body heat, eliminates any discomfort and the feeling of stickiness usually present with many all foam mattresses and provides you with a cool and comfortable night’s sleep.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
As it has been already said, sinkage and motion transfer is highly dependent on sleeper’s weight and as Andrew weights around 230 lbs, he compressed a bit the top comfort layer of this mattress, but the special foam used in this layer worked perfectly with the memory foam layer and the firmer base layer below to prevent him from sinking all the way down through the mattress and bottoming out.
Edge support is also good with this mattress. Andrew didn’t press all the way down through the mattress and come to rest on the foundation of our bed when sitting on or near its edge, and it worked perfectly well for me as well. We also didn’t experience any feeling of sliding and rolling off the bed.
As for motion transfer, there is almost no motion transfer with this mattress due to its all foam construction which isolates movements between partners to the least bit.
Smell / Off-Gassing
There is a small degree of off-gassing/smell upon opening the box. It is due to the all-foam construction of this mattress, but it is nothing overpowering when compared to some other mattresses we have reviewed.
- Shipping – free shipping, arrives in 3-6 days
- 10 Year Warranty
- 100 Night Sleep Trial Period
- Made in the USA
The Leesa Original is pretty reasonably priced when compared to the in-store brands, and it comes in at $849 for a queen.
Click here to read the full Leesa Hybrid mattress review.
Construction and Materials
The Nectar is an 11″ all foam mattress made up of 4 layers of various foams.
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of quilted foam sewn into the cover and designed to improve airflow, relieve pressure points, provide pain relief, softness, and a luxurious feel to the top.
- 1″ Support Layer – This layer is 1″ of 4lb patented Lush Foam semi-open fast-recovery gel memory foam, which provides primary support and aids in cooling and comfort.
- 3″ Transition Layer – This layer is 3″ of 3lb medical grade cooling gel embedded foam that aids in cooling and serves as a transitional support layer between the upper and lower layers.
- 6″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 6″ of high-density foam that provides deep compression support and serves as the foundation.
The cover of the Nectar mattress is made up of soft, long staple cotton that includes Tencel – a fabric more absorbent than cotton, softer than silk, and cooler than linen. It adds to the soft and luxurious feel of this bed, allows the circulation of air through the upper layer to improve airflow and circulation, and is naturally resistant to bed bugs.
Nectar Sleep is unique in that it offers its customers the option to replace the cover at no charge. Therefore, if the existing cover wears out, you don’t have to spend your money on buying a new mattress when you can simply replace the cover.
Firmness and Support
The Nectar mattress, like the Leesa Original, only comes in one firmness option which is medium firm and scores 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
Its top comfort layer provides a soft, luxurious feel, while the underlying support layers made of dense foam provide firmer support below and do not allow heavier sleepers like Andrew who is 230lbs to press through the top comfort layers and come to rest on the base support layers.
The Nectar provides good support for all sleeping positions. It provides the necessary support for back and stomach sleeping and it provides enough give in the top comfort layer to perfectly hug and mold to hips and shoulders when sleeping on your side.
The Nectar is a very comfortable mattress. The top layer with its Tencel cover provides a soft and supple sleeping environment, while the layers below consisting of gel foam and adaptive foam support and contour the body during sleep.
These underlying layers also provide the needed response when switching positions during the night and a nice degree of push-back and bounce ideal for late night amorous activities of couples.
The Nectar mattress, like the Leesa Original, does a good job at reducing heat, sleeping cool, and eliminating sweating and the feeling of stickiness present with many other memory foam mattresses. This is due to the multiple gel-infused foam layers and the quilted foam within the cover that allows easier circulation of air.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Nectar does a pretty good job in this category, just like the Leesa Original. It does not cause too much sinkage when lying or sitting on the mattress due to the high-quality dense foam layers used in its construction.
Edge support with this mattress is also good, and it prevents you from rolling off of the bed when sitting or sleeping near the edge.
Motion transfer with the Nectar mattress is almost non-existent due to its all-foam construction known for its capability of reducing the motion transfer when adjusting positions or getting in and out of bed during the night.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Nectar gets high marks in this category too for not having any noticeable smell upon opening the box. There is not much off-gassing and odor with this mattress as it is the case with many other memory foam mattresses, and any smell present dissipates within 24 hours.
- 365 night Trial period
- “Forever Warranty” for the life of the mattress
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
Nectar is reasonably priced, coming in at $799 for a Queen. This is a great price for a mattress of such a high quality.
Leesa Original vs. Nectar Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Leesa Original vs. Nectar mattress.
|Layers||2″ of the special cooling foam, 2″ of contouring memory foam, 6″ of dense support foam||1″ of quilted foam, 1″ of 4lb patented Lush Foam, 3″ of 3lb medical grade cooling gel embedded foam, 6″ of high-density foam|
|Cover||Seamless gray, twill fabric cover that is extremely soft to the touch||Soft, long staple cotton including Tencel|
|Firmness||6 out of 10||6 out of 10|
|Support||Very good||Very good|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Very minimal|
|Warranty||10 years||Everlong warranty|
|Trial Period||100 days||365 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||100% money back guarantee for Refunds & Returns|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Leesa Original mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel – The softness of the Leesa Original cover combined with the initial soft response from its memory foam layers provide a soft feel typical for memory foam.
- Sleeping cool – The thin cover of this mattress and the use of the special cooling technologies in its construction allow easier air flow, make this mattress breathable, and eliminate the feeling of stickiness usually present in memory foam mattresses.
Choose Nectar mattress if you like:
- A medium feel –The Nectar comes in only one firmness option, which is a medium firm scoring 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest, and it is suitable for sleepers of different firmness preferences and different weights.
- A full memory foam mattress – The Nectar is a full memory foam mattress composed of the highest-quality memory foam layers. It offers the sleepers many benefits of traditional memory foam such as deep compression, pressure relief, more hug and contour, minimal motion transfer, etc. while at the same time provides enough support and eliminates the feeling of being trapped in foam that many classic memory foam mattresses cause.
- A very supportive mattress – As it has been already mentioned, this mattress offers enough support for all sleeping positions which makes it ideal for sleepers of different weights.
- Responsiveness and bounce – The underlying gel foam and adaptive foam layers of the Nectar mattress provide the needed response when switching positions during the night and a nice degree of push-back and bounce ideal for late night amorous activities of couples.