Leesa vs. Nectar
Are you looking to buy an all foam mattress, but you are not sure which one to pick – Leesa vs Nectar? Are you eager to know how the Leesa mattress compares to the Nectar?
In this review, we’ll present you with the basic characteristics, pros, and cons of each mattress to make your decision easier and help you pick the right one for your needs. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Leesa is a 10-inch combination of memory foam and Avena foam for additional cooling and bounce and it is composed of the following layers:
- 2″ Top Cooling layer – The top layer is made of 2″ of cooling Avena foam, designed to provide cooling and bounce.
- 2″ Middle layer – This layer is designed to provide support to the body and pressure relief, and it is made up of 2″ of contouring memory foam.
- 6″ Bottom layer – This layer is made of 6″ of dense support foam and it provides the foundation for the mattress and works with the top layers to create support.
The Leesa has an extremely soft cover woven from one piece of polyester-Lycra blend fabric that works to provide a cool surface and comfort as well.
Firmness and Support
The Leesa is a universal comfort type memory foam mattress, designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers, and it is around a 5/6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
However, firmness is largely weight dependent and I tended to compress the top layers less than Andrew who weights considerably more than I do. Therefore, Andrew did not feel that the Leesa provided much support to him when sleeping, as his heavier weight caused him to compress through the upper layers quite a bit.
The thinner construction of this mattress also caused him to bottom out when sitting up on it.
While the Leesa has a soft and comfortable exterior and the Avena foam in the top cooling layer provides a bit of responsiveness and bounce, it does not provide enough support and comfort like some of the other all-foam mattresses we have tried out to date.
Andrew felt it was not supportive enough for his heavy weight, and it caused him to reach the foundation of our bed. This, if you are a heavier sleeper as well, may reduce the overall comfort and affect the quality of your sleep.
As for sleeping hot, the Leesa does a good job here, and it is about average in this category. Its thin cover and the use of the Avena foam layer in its construction provides good air flow, makes this mattress breathable, and eliminates the feeling of stickiness usually present in memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
As it has been already said, sinkage and motion transfer is highly dependent on sleeper’s weight and as Andrew weights around 230 lbs, he pressed through the 10″ Leesa top layers immediately upon sitting and lying on the mattress.
The sinkage of the Leesa also caused motion transfer during the night as Andrew would sink lower than me, which caused me to roll into him.
Edge support in this mattress is minimal and Andrew’s weight compressed the bed. Lying flat seemed to disperse his weight, but at times when rolling over in the night, he would feel the harder support layer through the compressed thinner comfort layer.
Smell / Off-Gassing
There is a small degree of off-gassing/smell upon opening the box. It is due to the all-foam construction of this mattress, but it is nothing overpowering when compared to some other mattresses we have reviewed.
- Shipping – free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days
- 10 Year Warranty
- 100 Night Sleep Trial Period
- Discounts – Save $100 on a Leesa with this link
- Made in the USA
Leesa is pretty reasonably priced when compared to the in-store brands, and it comes in at $890 for a queen. You can save $100 on this mattress by using the link given above.
Construction and Materials
The Nectar is an 11″ all foam mattress made up of 4 layers of various foams.
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of quilted foam sewn into the cover and designed to improve airflow, relieve pressure points, provide pain relief, softness, and a luxurious feel to the top.
- 1″ Support Layer – This layer is 1″ of 4lb patented Lush Foam semi-open fast-recovery gel memory foam, which provides primary support and aids in cooling and comfort.
- 3″ Transition Layer – This layer is 3″ of 3lb medical grade cooling gel embedded foam that aids in cooling and serves as a transitional support layer between the upper and lower layers.
- 6″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 6″ of high-density foam that provides deep compression support and serves as the foundation.
The cover of the Nectar mattress is made up of soft, long staple cotton that includes Tencel – a fabric more absorbent than cotton, softer than silk, and cooler than linen. It adds to the soft and luxurious feel of this bed, allows the circulation of air through the upper layer to improve airflow and circulation, and is naturally resistant to bed bugs.
Nectar Sleep is unique in that it offers its customers the option to replace the cover at no charge. Therefore, if the existing cover wears out, you don’t have to spend your money on buying a new mattress when you can simply replace the cover.
Firmness and Support
The Nectar mattress, like the Leesa, only comes in one firmness option which is medium firm and scores 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
Its top comfort layer provides a soft, luxurious feel, while the underlying support layers made of dense foam provide firmer support below and do not allow heavier sleepers like Andrew who is 230lbs to press through the top comfort layers and come to rest on the base support layers.
The Nectar provides good support for all sleeping positions. It provides the necessary support for back and stomach sleeping and it provides enough give in the top comfort layer to perfectly hug and mold to hips and shoulders when sleeping on your side.
The Nectar is a very comfortable mattress. The top layer with its Tencel cover provides a soft and supple sleeping environment, while the layers below consisting of gel foam and adaptive foam support and contour the body during sleep.
These underlying layers also provide the needed response when switching positions during the night and a nice degree of push-back and bounce ideal for late night amorous activities of couples.
The Nectar mattress, like the Leesa, does a good job at reducing heat, sleeping cool, and eliminating sweating and the feeling of stickiness present with many other memory foam mattresses. This is due to the multiple gel-infused foam layers and the quilted foam within the cover that allows easier circulation of air.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Unlike the Leesa mattress which caused my boyfriend to sink down to the foundation, the Nectar does a pretty good job in this category. It does not cause too much sinkage when lying or sitting on the mattress due to the high-quality dense foam layers used in its construction.
Edge support with this mattress is also good, and it prevents you from rolling off of the bed when sitting or sleeping near the edge.
Motion transfer with the Nectar mattress is almost non-existent due to its all-foam construction known for its capability of reducing the motion transfer when adjusting positions or getting in and out of bed during the night.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Nectar gets high marks in this category too for not having any noticeable smell upon opening the box. There is not much off-gassing and odor with this mattress as it is the case with many other memory foam mattresses, and any smell present dissipates within 24 hours.
- 365 night Trial period
- “Forever Warranty” for the life of the mattress
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
Nectar is reasonably priced, coming in at $670 for a Queen (after applying the MFT125 coupon). This is a great price for a mattress of such a high quality.
Leesa vs. Nectar Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Leesa vs. Nectar mattress.
|Layers||2″ of cooling Avena foam, 2″ of contouring memory foam, 6″ of dense support foam||1″ of quilted foam, 1″ of 4lb patented Lush Foam, 3″ of 3lb medical grade cooling gel embedded foam, 6″ of high-density foam|
|Cover||Soft, woven from one piece of polyester-Lycra blend fabric||Soft, long staple cotton including Tencel|
|Firmness||5-6 out of 10||6 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Higher than in most memory foam mattresses||Very minimal|
|Warranty||10 years||Everlong warranty|
|Trial Period||100 days||365 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||100% money back guarantee for Refunds & Returns|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Leesa mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel – The softness of the Leesa cover combined with the initial soft response from its memory foam layers provide a soft feel typical for memory foam.
- Sleeping cool – The thin cover of this mattress and the use of the Avena foam layer in its construction allow easier air flow, make this mattress breathable, and eliminate the feeling of stickiness usually present in memory foam mattresses.
Choose Nectar mattress if you like:
- A medium feel –The Nectar comes in only one firmness option, which is a medium firm scoring 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest, and it is suitable for sleepers of different firmness preferences and different weights.
- A full memory foam mattress – The Nectar is a full memory foam mattress composed of the highest-quality memory foam layers. It offers the sleepers many benefits of traditional memory foam such as deep compression, pressure relief, more hug and contour, minimal motion transfer, etc. while at the same time provides enough support and eliminates the feeling of being trapped in foam that many classic memory foam mattresses cause.
- A very supportive mattress – As it has been already mentioned, this mattress offers enough support for all sleeping positions which makes it ideal for sleepers of different weights.
- Responsiveness and bounce – The underlying gel foam and adaptive foam layers of the Nectar mattress provide the needed response when switching positions during the night and a nice degree of push-back and bounce ideal for late night amorous activities of couples.