Lull vs. Nectar
Buying a new mattress used to be a tedious thing to do before the explosion of the online mattress companies took place. It involved visiting retail stores and lying on different mattresses for hours in an attempt to find the right one, but online mattress companies and their growing popularity changed everything and made getting a new mattress easier than ever.
In today’s Lull vs Nectar review, we’ll take a look at two such companies. Both offer the highest quality all foam mattresses at a fraction of the price of the in-store brands and both have high customer satisfaction rates. But, which one may have the right mattress for your needs?
Keep reading to find out. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Lull is a 10-inch universal comfort type memory foam mattress, designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers, and it is composed of 3 layers of foam.
- A 1.5″ Top layer – The top layer is made of gel infused memory foam designed to provide cooling and comfort for the sleeper.
- A 1.5″ Middle layer – This layer is made up of conventional memory foam designed to support the body and provide even weight distribution and spinal alignment.
- A 7″ Bottom layer – This layer is made of dense support foam. It serves as the foundation for the mattress and works well with the top layers to provide a supportive sleeping surface.
The Lull has an extremely soft cover made of 90% polyester and 10% rayon. It provides breathability to the mattress and aids in cooling.
Firmness and Support
The Lull is a medium soft mattress coming in around a 5/6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being firmness). But as we always tend to mention, firmness is largely weight dependent, and for me, this mattress was firmer than it was for my boyfriend Andrew. He is 230 lbs, and he compressed the top layers more than I did.
The Lull provides a pretty good support, and its combination of foam layers distributes body weight evenly across the mattress.
It isn’t too firm to cause pressure point pain, or too soft not to provide the support needed to sleep comfortably. It is, therefore, suitable for all sleeping positions.
The Lull mattress is a comfortable one, allowing a cool and comfortable night’s sleep. The foam within its layers offers enough give to mold to your body without causing you to feel enveloped by the mattress.
There is a good amount of bounce coming from the gel-infused memory foam layer which perfectly adapts to changes in sleep position as well.
The softness of the cover combined with the initial soft response from the memory foam layers really places this mattress among the most comfortable ones we have tried out to date.
The layer of gel-infused memory foam and soft breathable cover work together to prevent the build-up of heat and the feeling of stickiness usually present in many memory foam mattresses. They work together to create a cool and comfortable sleep surface and provide you with a restful and quality sleep.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
As it has been already mentioned, sinkage is largely weight dependent and Andrew, being significantly heavier than me, sunk into the mattress more than I did. However, he did not sink down to the foundation, and I did not experience the feeling of sinking into a hole or rolling towards Andrew.
Edge support with this mattress is solid and prevented us from rolling off the sides.
There was a decent amount of motion transfer with this mattress when Andrew adjusted positions during the night which, again, is to be expected due to our weight disparity.
Smell / Off-Gassing
There was a small degree of smell when we opened and unpacked the Lull mattress, but it was nothing overpowering and dissipated within a few hours. This is to be expected due to its all foam nature and the fact that it is shipped compressed in a box.
- Shipping – free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days
- Lifetime Warranty
- 365 Night Sleep Trial Period
- Made in the USA
The Lull is reasonably priced, coming in at $799 for a Queen. This is an excellent price given the quality materials used its construction.
Construction and Materials
The Nectar is an 11″ all foam mattress made up of 4 layers of various foams.
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of quilted foam sewn into the cover and designed to improve airflow, relieve pressure points, provide pain relief, softness, and a luxurious feel to the top.
- 1″ Support Layer – This layer is 1″ of 4lb patented Lush Foam semi-open fast-recovery gel memory foam, which provides primary support and aids in cooling and comfort.
- 3″ Transition Layer – This layer is 3″ of 3lb medical grade cooling gel embedded foam that aids in cooling and serves as a transitional support layer between the upper and lower layers.
- 6″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 6″ of high-density foam that provides deep compression support and serves as the foundation.
The cover of the Nectar mattress is made up of soft, long staple cotton that includes Tencel – a fabric more absorbent than cotton, softer than silk, and cooler than linen. It adds to the soft and luxurious feel of this bed, allows the circulation of air through the upper layer to improve airflow and circulation, and is naturally resistant to bed bugs.
Nectar Sleep is unique in that it offers its customers the option to replace the cover at no charge. Therefore, if the existing cover wears out, you don’t have to spend your money on buying a new mattress when you can simply replace the cover.
Firmness and Support
The Nectar mattress, like the Lull, only comes in one firmness option which is medium firm and scores 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
Its top comfort layer provides a soft, luxurious feel, while the underlying support layers made of dense foam provide firmer support below and do not allow heavier sleepers like Andrew who is 230lbs to press through the top comfort layers and come to rest on the base support layers.
The Nectar provides good support for all sleeping positions. It provides the necessary support for back and stomach sleeping and it provides enough give in the top comfort layer to perfectly hug and mold to hips and shoulders when sleeping on your side.
The Nectar is a very comfortable mattress. The top layer with its Tencel cover provides a soft and supple sleeping environment, while the layers below consisting of gel foam and adaptive foam support and contour the body during sleep.
These underlying layers also provide the needed response when switching positions during the night and a nice degree of push-back and bounce ideal for late night amorous activities of couples.
The Nectar mattress does a good job at reducing heat, sleeping cool, and eliminating sweating and the feeling of stickiness present with many other memory foam mattresses. This is due to its multiple gel-infused foam layers and the quilted foam within the cover that allows easier circulation of air.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Nectar does a pretty good job in this category. It does not cause too much sinkage when lying or sitting on the mattress due to the high-quality dense foam layers used in its construction.
Edge support with this mattress is also good, and it prevents you from rolling off of the bed when sitting or sleeping near the edge.
Motion transfer with the Nectar mattress, unlike with the Lull, is almost non-existent due to its all-foam construction known for its capability of reducing the motion transfer when adjusting positions or getting in and out of bed during the night.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Nectar gets high marks in this category too for not having any noticeable smell upon opening the box. There is not much off-gassing and odor with this mattress as it is the case with many other memory foam mattresses, and any smell present dissipates within 24 hours.
- 365 night Trial period
- “Forever Warranty” for the life of the mattress
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
Nectar is reasonably priced, coming in at $799 for a Queen. This is a great price for a mattress of such a high quality.
Lull vs. Nectar Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Lull vs. Nectar mattress.
|Layers||1.5″ of gel infused memory foam, 1.5″ of conventional memory foam, 7″ of dense support foam||1″ of quilted foam, 1″ of 4lb patented Lush Foam, 3″ of 3lb medical grade cooling gel embedded foam, 6″ of high-density foam|
|Cover||Extremely soft, made of 90% polyester and 10% rayon||Soft, long staple cotton including Tencel|
|Firmness||5-6 out of 10||6 out of 10|
|Support||Very good||Very good|
|Motion Transfer||Minimal||Very minimal|
|Trial Period||365 days||365 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||100% money back guarantee for Refunds & Returns|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Lull mattress if you like:
- A medium firm feel – The Lull mattress comes in at a universal firmness option which scores 5/6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being the firmest). It isn’t too firm to cause pressure point pain, or too soft not to provide the support needed to sleep comfortably.
- A mattress that sleeps cool – A 1.5″ of gel-infused memory foam in the top comfort layer of this mattress does a good job of preventing the build-up of heat and the feeling of stickiness usually present in memory foam mattresses. A soft and breathable cover aids in cooling and helps create a pleasant sleep surface.
- A supportive mattress – The combination of different foam layers in the construction of the Lull helps distribute body weight evenly across the mattress and provides an excellent support for all sleeping positions.
Choose Nectar mattress if you like:
- A medium feel –The Nectar comes in only one firmness option, which is a medium firm scoring 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest, and it is suitable for sleepers of different firmness preferences and different weights.
- A full memory foam mattress – The Nectar is a full memory foam mattress composed of the highest-quality memory foam layers. It offers the sleepers many benefits of traditional memory foam such as deep compression, pressure relief, more hug and contour, minimal motion transfer, etc. while at the same time provides enough support and eliminates the feeling of being trapped in foam that many classic memory foam mattresses cause.
- A very supportive mattress – As it has been already mentioned, this mattress offers enough support for all sleeping positions which makes it ideal for sleepers of different weights.
- Responsiveness and bounce – The underlying gel foam and adaptive foam layers of the Nectar mattress provide the needed response when switching positions during the night and a nice degree of push-back and bounce ideal for late night amorous activities of couples.