Brentwood Home Cedar vs. Avocado
Today again we’ll be reviewing two luxury hybrid mattress brands that are focused on using natural and organic materials. the Brentwood Home Cedar vs Avocado.
Both are highest-quality “green” mattresses, composed of all natural, eco-friendly, and organic materials. Both are, therefore, suitable for those sensitive to off-gassing and those suffering from airborne allergies, and both offer a luxurious feel and extraordinary sleeping experience that will help you get more out of your rest. But which one will better suit your preferences and specific needs? Let’s find out.Last updated
Brentwood Home Cedar
Construction and Materials
The Brentwood Home Cedar is a 13″ latex and pocketed coil hybrid. It is a “green” mattress made up of all natural materials including natural latex, GOTS certified organic cotton fiber, organic coconut husks, New Zealand wool, and natural flax seed.
- 2″ Latex Layer – This layer is 2″ of natural Dunlop latex that provides pressure relief, comfort and responsiveness to the mattress, and combines with the grooved latex layer beneath for support and cooling.
- 2″ Latex Comfort Layer – This layer is 2″ of grooved Dunlop latex cut into 3 separate zones to provide comfort and support for the body and aid in ventilation and airflow for a cooler sleeping environment.
- 8″ Support Layer – This layer is 8″ of individually wrapped coils which provide the core mattress support and deep compression support for the body during sleep. Reinforced coils in the lumbar region provide support for the lower back, while edge retention coils provide appropriate edge support.
- 1″ Base Support Layer – This layer is 1″ of organic coconut husks which help with circulation and have anti-microbial properties.
The Cedar mattress has an organic hand–tufted cotton cover that is naturally pesticide free, eco-friendly, and quilted with natural fire-retardant silica sand.
It covers a layer of New Zealand wool that wicks away moisture, allows the circulation of air, and provides temperature regulation naturally via wool’s natural temperate regulating properties. In addition to this, the mattress has organic cotton tailored tweed sides, and custom handles.
Firmness and Support
The Cedar mattress comes in only one firmness option, which is medium firm and it scores 6/7 out of 10, with 10 being the firmest.
The micro coil construction and the latex in the top layers of this mattress provide more response and push-back than foam mattresses and give you the feeling of “floating on top of” the mattress, combined with the bouncier feeling of the supportive pocketed coil springs.
With its 13″ design, the Cedar mattress provides an excellent support for sleepers of different weights in all sleeping positions. It has the firmness necessary for back and stomach sleeping and offers enough give in the top comfort layers to support shoulders and hips. It is a really supportive mattress and yet soft enough to be comfortable.
The premium materials used in the construction of the Cedar mattress make it quite comfortable. The soft cover with the quilted layer of organic cotton and the latex and coil layers combine to provide a very comfortable sleeping surface and a nice degree of responsiveness and bounce.
The Cedar mattress does a good job at sleeping cool due to its specific construction. You will not get the sticky sweaty feeling that some mattresses cause as the natural materials and micro coil system used in the construction of this mattress allow excellent airflow and prevent the build-up of heat.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
There is a minimal degree of sinkage with this mattress and a decent amount of motion transfer due to its coil and latex design, but this again largely depends on the weight of the sleepers.
Edge support in this mattress is good, as the edges do not compress when sitting or lying near them and there is no feeling of “rolling off” the edge. Its 13″ thick construction prevents the heavier sleepers like Andrew to sink to the foundation when sitting on the edge.
As for the motion transfer, the bouncy latex and coil construction of the Cedar causes some motion transfer when sleeping and changing positions during the night.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Cedar mattress gets high marks in this category for not releasing any noticeable smell upon opening the box. This has to do with the natural materials included in its construction which do not contain chemicals or petroleum by-products that usually produce the smell.
- 120 Night Sleep Trial
- 25 Year Warranty
- Handmade in Los Angeles at their own facility
- No questions asked return policy
- Free Shipping
The Cedar mattress is a little bit pricey coming in at $1795 for a Queen (save 15% by clicking here and entering code MFT15). But, this is a good value given the quality materials used in the construction of this bed.
Construction and Materials
The Avocado mattress is an 11″ hybrid combining natural latex, wool, organic cotton, and pocketed coil. It consists of 3 layers and is available either with or without an optional pillow top for those who want a plusher feel.
- 2″ Comfort Layer – This layer is made of 2″ soft natural Dunlop latex designed to increase airflow and provide comfort and responsiveness to the mattress.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of the high-density Dunlop latex, which gives firmness to the mattress and provides a transition between the upper comfort layer and the coil support layer.
- 8″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 8″ of individually pocketed innerspring coils (up to 1303 in the largest mattress) that provide even distribution of weight, pressure point, and the underlying support to the mattress. The coils are arranged in zones for greater comfort with 3 distinct areas to provide support where it is needed most.
The cover of the Avocado mattress is button-tufted and made up of 100% organic cotton and Joma New Zealand antimicrobial wool. It is soft to the touch, breathable, provides a luxurious feel and helps with temperature control. Besides this, the Avocado mattress has hand-sewn upholstered handles on its sides for easier moving or rotating.
Firmness and Support
The Avocado mattress like the Brentwood Home Cedar comes in only one firmness option and scores 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
Its pocketed coil foundation layer provides good support, whereas the top latex layer provides more of a sensation of floating that is a specific characteristic of memory foam mattresses.
There is also a large degree of bounce to the mattress coming from the latex foam and innerspring layers. The Avocado uses two different latex layers, a soft in the comfort layer and firmer in the transition layer that adds to the comfort when combined with the luxurious organic cotton and wool.
The latex will not provide you with a feeling of deep hug felt with layers of traditional memory foam, but it offers a good contouring and makes the mattress suitable for all sleeping positions.
As for the comfort, the Avocado mattress is a rather comfortable one. The coil base foundation provides your body with a good support while the top comfort layers provide necessary contouring.
It offers nice bounce and a high degree of push-back and response. Although latex may not provide you with a feeling of deep hug offered by memory foam, with time it will adapt to your body and become a lot more comfortable.
Apart from the organic cotton and wool cover, latex layers, and air circulation that innerspring coils offer, the Avocado mattress doesn’t have a large degree of cooling technology, but this is enough to keep your sleeping surface cool and comfortable and provide you with a quality night’s sleep.
Latex is known for its cooling properties, while wool acts as a natural temperature regulator. All this combined with a good airflow coming from the innerspring coils will prevent the build-up of heat and keep you cool throughout the entire night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Avocado mattress has a minimal sinkage with the latex and coil construction doing an excellent job in providing the support and push-back. It offers solid edge support and eliminates the feeling of “rolling off“ of the mattress.
As for the motion transfer, it is a little bit higher than in most mattresses we have reviewed as the coils and latex provide a large degree of bounce and responsiveness. The heavier weight of my partner Andrew (230lbs) also caused the mattress to move more than usual.
The Avocado mattress doesn’t have any noticeable smell upon opening the box which is the result of the organic design and build of the mattress and the absence of foam in its construction. Therefore, it gets high marks in this category.
- 100 night Trial period
- 10-year Warranty
- Free Shipping, $99 white glove delivery option
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- American made
- All organic, natural materials and construction.
Although the Avocado mattress costs less than the Brentwood Home Cedar, it is priced higher than many of the mattresses we have tested and it comes in at $1399 for a Queen. It is pricier than foam mattresses, but less than all latex mattresses in general.
All in all, $1399 for a Queen is a great price for a high-quality organic mattress, and it is surprisingly low given the luxurious materials included.
Brentwood Home Cedar vs. Avocado Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Brentwood Home Cedar vs. Avocado mattress.
|Brentwood Home Cedar||Avocado|
|Layers||2″ of natural Dunlop latex, 2″ of grooved Dunlop latex, 8″ of individually wrapped coils, 1″ of organic coconut husks||2″ of softer natural Dunlop latex, 1″ of firmer Dunlop latex, 8″ of pocketed innerspring coils|
|Coil Count||Over 2500 coils in a Queen||1303 in the largest mattress|
|Cover||Organic hand–tufred cotton cover that is naturally pesticide free, eco-friendly, and quilted with natural fire-retardant silica sand||Organic cotton and New Zealand wool cover, hand tufted rosettes, hand-sewn upholstered handles on the sides|
|Firmness||6-7 out of 10||6 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Minimal||Higher than in most other mattresses|
|Warranty||25 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||120 days||100 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping, $99 white glove delivery option|
|Refunds & Returns||No questions asked return policy||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Brentwood Home Cedar mattress if you like:
- Eco-friendly materials – The Cedar mattress is a green mattress incorporating natural materials such as natural latex, coconut husks, natural flaxseed, organic cotton, and New Zealand Wool. It is one of the most natural mattresses you’ll find online, made without pesticides, toxins and harmful chemicals.
- Pressure relief – This mattress offers excellent pressure relief due to the zoned support in the 2″ latex comfort layer.
- Comfort and bounce – The soft cover with the quilted layer of organic cotton and the latex and coil layers combine to provide a very comfortable sleeping surface and a nice degree of responsiveness and bounce.
Choose Avocado mattress if you like:
- Eco-friendly materials – The Avocado mattress is made of eco-friendly materials without petroleum-based polyurethane foam, toxic flame retardants, dangerous pesticides, and without risk from volatile chemicals and gasses.
- Supportive and comfortable mattress – The mattress provides a good support from the pocketed coil foundation layer, while the latex top layer provides more of a comfort and sensation of floating.
- Mattress with bounce – The combination of latex and innerspring coils used in the mattress construction creates a pretty large degree of bounce.