Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Review
In this review of the Helix Midnight Luxe, we take a look at another amazing mattress from Helix’s newest product line.
Instead of the usual “universal comfort” one-size-fits-all models that most Bed-In-A-Box mattresses utilize, Helix Sleep, a popular brand known for its wide variety of mattresses, customizes your mattresses based on your individual sleep needs.
The company utilizes an online questionnaire to customize the design and construction of your new bed, so you will get a personalized mattress that you kind of make yourself.
This is particularly exciting for us, as this enables couples to have their own individual sides completely customized to their needs and makes fighting over choosing the right mattress as a couple a thing of the past.
Read our review and find out what we think about this amazing new mattress that is 4″ taller than other Helix mattresses and that includes body zoning technology and premium quilted pillow top with Ultra Breathable Cover. Review updated
Is the Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Right for You?
Buy the Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress if you like:
- Sleeping on your side and back – This mattress provides the support necessary for side sleeping and back sleeping without causing any discomfort in hips and shoulders that some mattresses often cause. The plush top comfort layers provide perfect pressure relief for hips and shoulders while pocketed coil system lifts your body weight and provides excellent support.
- A mattress that sleeps cool – The Helix Midnight Luxe sleeps quite cool due to its unique pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat and a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow through the top of the mattress in order to create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
- Beds with excellent support – This mattress features an 8″ thick Zoned Body Shape layer consisting of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.
You might not like the Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress if:
- You don’t like the bounce and responsiveness of hybrid mattresses – The Helix Midnight Luxe is a hybrid mattress constructed of multiple foam layers and pocketed coils which work together to give this mattress a lot of bounce and responsiveness.Get the Helix Midnight Luxe MattressThe Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is made up of gel memory foam that is designed to provide perfect pressure relief for hips and shoulders perfect for side and back sleeping. It also has 1000+ pocketed coils that allow air to circulate freely keeping the mattress cool.Save $125 on the purchase of a Helix Midnight Luxe mattress. Use code: MFT125
Construction and Materials
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is a 14″ hybrid mattress made up of gel memory foam, 1000 + pocketed coils, and foam. The construction of the mattress varies based on the preferences entered on an online questionnaire that is utilized to configure the mattress before it is built.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress consists of the following layers, which are custom configured via altering their densities and weights to achieve the proper degree of customization for your sleep preferences.
- 1″ Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of Gel memory foam that is extremely soft and designed to provide pressure relief and increase the overall comfort of this mattress.
- 2″ Support Layer – This layer is 2″ of Memory Plus Foam, designed to cushion and support your body.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of high-density High-Grade Polyfoam, designed to provide ergonomic support, contour to your body and serve as a transition layer between the top comfort foam layers and firmer coils bellow. It also allows a seamless progression of your body weight into the mattress.
- 8″ Zoned Body Shape Layer – This layer is 8″ of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping and limit excessive motion transfer. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.
- 1″ Base Layer – This layer is 1″ of DuraDense high density support foam that serves as the foundation and support for the mattress and increases its durability and stability.
The cover of the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is extremely soft 1-inch quilted premium pillow top made up of high-density polyurethane foam.
It increases the overall comfort of this mattress and the Ultra Breathable technology that it incorporates helps increase the airflow through the mattress and keeps you cool all night long.
Firmness & Support
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress like other Helix mattresses is unique in that there is no pre-set level of firmness that can be evaluated based on pre-set factory construction of the mattress.
Like we mentioned in our previous two Helix reviews, the entire idea behind the Helix mattresses is to do exactly the opposite – provide customized firmness and support for each sleeper, not only in one bed – but in one bed with different values for each side.
This functions in such way where Helix takes the output from their questionnaire and either – builds two individual mattresses, then fuses them together to create one or takes the output from the questionnaire and designs a mattress blending both sleeper preferences.
As part of our Helix Midnight Luxe mattress review, we filled out the questionnaire that asks for each of our individual height, weight, sleep preferences, firmness preferences, and other specific information to design the mattress.
We have included some screen shots of this process below:
Once the design and manufacturing is complete, the mattress then is delivered with the individual firmness, support, and comfort preferences that were defined in the questionnaire to your doorstep.
In our case, my side (Andrew) required more support for my heavier weight, but a softer feel. This resulted in a mattress that felt around a 5.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale for me (10 being firmest).
The soft pillow top was smooth to the touch, and combined with the gel memory foam comfort layer below it offered a really gentle, soft feel. Together, they allowed me to sink into a mattress to a certain degree and provided excellent pressure relief without making me feel stuck in foam.
The slightly firmer support and transition layers beneath with the pocketed coil layer did an excellent job of providing extraordinary support to those areas of my body where I needed it most.
Zoning technology used in the coil layer offered a softer feel under my shoulders and firmer under my hips which made this mattress perfect for side sleeping. In addition these layers lifted my heavy weight with ease and helped distribute it evenly across the bed.
The Helix Midnight Luxe on my side had just enough give in the comfort layers to mold to my shoulders and hips and enough firmness necessary if I turn to my back.
As Kaye generally prefers firmer mattresses than I do, and weighs almost half my weight, her side of the mattress ended up being firmer and not requiring weight support that my needs require. She felt her side was more of a 7 out of 10 (10 being the firmest).
As we have already mentioned, we love that Helix gives you the ability to combine individual firmness and comfort preferences in one bed.
Just like the Helix Moonlight and the previous model we have reviewed, it did a great job of meeting our individual firmness and support needs and provided us with what each of us enjoy in the same bed.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress that we ordered is extremely comfortable. Its unique split construction and quality materials all worked together really well to provide a medium feel that we like and a perfect balance of comfort and support.
The premium quilted pillow top increased the overall comfort of this mattress and gave us the feeling of sleeping on clouds. It allowed me to sink quite a bit into it, perfectly molded to my hips and shoulders, and eliminated any possibility of the appearance of pressure points.
It also has a nice degree of responsiveness coming from its pocketed coil layer which, when combined with other the firmer transition and support layer prevents you from sinking too deep into the mattress and feeling enveloped by it.
This also facilitates moving around in bed during the night and makes this mattress perfect for sex.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress does an excellent job at sleeping cool due to its unique pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat.
In addition, this Helix mattress, like other Helix mattresses, features a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow through the top of the mattress in order to create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
Besides this, the split design of the bed ensured that our individual heat did not transfer over to each other, which seemed to make a difference in the overall temperature regulation of the mattress.
Sinkage & Motion Transfer
Just like the previous Helix mattresses that we have reviewed, Helix Midnight Luxe varies in terms of the amount of sinkage depending on each side of the mattress and our weights.
On my side, I compressed the pillow top and comfort layer beneath it quite a bit, but the firmer support and transition layers combined with the pocketed coils prevented me from sinking further into the mattress and feeling enveloped by it.
These layers lifted my heavy weight with ease and distributed it evenly across the bed while the zoned technology of the pocketed coil layer provided just the right amount of support to those areas of my body where I needed it most.
Kaye’s side did the same for her and perfectly supported her lighter weight. The split design of this mattress also prevented her from rolling into me which is often the case with lower quality mattresses due to our weight differences.
She also didn’t experience the common feel of “sinking into a hole” which resulted in peaceful and truly enjoyable night’s for both.
Edge support is excellent with this mattress and better than with many other beds we have reviewed so far due to the quality pocketed coils used in its construction.
I compressed its pillow top and comfort layer to a certain degree when when sitting and lying near the edge, but the firmer support and transition layers, as well as the pocketed coil layer, supported my heavy weight and prevented me from sinking too much and bottoming out.
Kaye’s side did the same for her and we didn’t experience any rolling off the edges sensation.
Smell / Off-Gassing
This high quality mattress gets high marks in this category as well. It didn’t have much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box. Its hybrid design significantly reduced the amount of of-gassing and any smell that was present dissipated within a few hours.
Helix Sleep provides about the standard amount of customer service you can expect in a “Bed In A Box” online mattress retailer. This includes:
- 100 Night Sleep Trial
- 15 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- Free Shipping
- Save $125 on a Helix Midnight Luxe : Use Code: MFT125
- Money back guarantee
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is priced a bit higher and comes in at $1620 for a Queen.
However, for the level of customization you get and for a mattress of such a unique construction and highest-quality materials that are used in its construction, this is more than a reasonable price.
The Helix Midnight Luxe that has been recently released by one of the leading online mattress companies is an innovative and premium mattress with a unique construction and level of customization that make it unlike any other mattress currently present on the online mattress market.
By utilizing the individual sleeper’s answers to an online questionnaire, Helix Sleep configures and manufactures mattresses that are customized according to the needs of each sleeper.
Therefore, their mattresses can have a split design and different firmness on each side and such mattresses are a must for couples of varying weight and sleep preferences.
This ability to have a mattress fully customized to our individual needs and sleep preferences makes the Helix Midnight Luxe, just like the previous Helix mattresses that we have reviewed, one of our favorite mattresses for couples.
Besides this, the Helix Midnight Luxe offers an extraordinary amount of comfort and support and unparalleled sleeping experience. Its incredibly soft pillow top will make you feel like sleeping on clouds while at the same time it will work with the pocketed coil layer to allow the air to circulate freely through the mattress and keep you cool and comfortable all night long.
In addition, its zoned technology will provide just the right amount of support to those areas of your body that need it most and will be a perfect choice for you if you prefer sleeping on your side.
If you like sleeping on your side and you share your bed with a partner and you disagree on firmness or comfort preferences, we heartily recommend you the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress, and we hope that this review can help you in your next mattress purchase!
Helix Midnight Luxe
Construction / Materials9.6/10
Firmness & Support9.5/10
Sinkage & Motion Transfer9.6/10
Smell / Off-Gassing9.5/10
- Custom mattress design
- Quality materials
- Individual firmness levels
- Sleeps cool
- Zoned support technology
- A little pricy