Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Review
In this review of the Helix Midnight Luxe, we take a look at another amazing mattress from Helix’s newest product line.
Helix Sleep is a popular brand known for its wide variety of mattresses, which now offers a Sleep Quiz to help you pick the best Helix mattress for your needs based on your answers.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is an amazing 14″ hybrid mattress that comes with some extraordinary features and provides incredible comfort and support in all sleeping positions.
Read our review and find out what we think about this amazing new mattress that is 4″ taller than other Helix mattresses and that includes body zoning technology and premium quilted pillow top with Ultra Breathable Cover. Review updated
Is the Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Right for You?
Buy the Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress if you like:
- Sleeping on your side and back – This mattress provides the support necessary for side sleeping and back sleeping without causing any discomfort in hips and shoulders that some mattresses often cause. The plush top comfort layers provide perfect pressure relief for hips and shoulders while pocketed coil system lifts your body weight and provides excellent support.
- A mattress that sleeps cool – The Helix Midnight Luxe sleeps quite cool due to its unique pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat and a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow through the top of the mattress in order to create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
- Beds with excellent support – This mattress features an 8″ thick Zoned Body Shape layer consisting of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.
You might not like the Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress if:
- You don’t like the bounce and responsiveness of hybrid mattresses – The Helix Midnight Luxe is a hybrid mattress constructed of multiple foam layers and pocketed coils which work together to give this mattress a lot of bounce and responsiveness.
Construction and Materials
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is a 14″ hybrid mattress made up of gel memory foam, 1000 + pocketed coils, and foam and it consists of the following layers.
- 1″ Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of Gel memory foam that is extremely soft and designed to provide pressure relief and increase the overall comfort of this mattress.
- 2″ Support Layer – This layer is 2″ of Memory Plus Foam, designed to cushion and support your body.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of high-density High-Grade Polyfoam, designed to provide ergonomic support, contour to your body and serve as a transition layer between the top comfort foam layers and firmer coils bellow. It also allows a seamless progression of your body weight into the mattress.
- 8″ Zoned Body Shape Layer – This layer is 8″ of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping and limit excessive motion transfer. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.
- 1″ Base Layer – This layer is 1″ of DuraDense high density support foam that serves as the foundation and support for the mattress and increases its durability and stability.
The cover of the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is extremely soft 1-inch quilted premium pillow top made up of high-density polyurethane foam.
It increases the overall comfort of this mattress and the Ultra Breathable technology that it incorporates helps increase the airflow through the mattress and keeps you cool all night long.
Firmness & Support
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers and we felt it to be a medium firm mattress, falling somewhere around a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being the firmest).
The company has their own firmness scale on their site and they rate this mattress in a range you can see below.
As soon as we lay down in bed we felt how soft and smooth to the touch the pillow top was, and combined with the gel memory foam comfort layer below it offered a really gentle, soft feel.
Together, they allowed me to sink into a mattress to a certain degree and provided excellent pressure relief without making me feel stuck in foam.
The slightly firmer support and transition layers beneath with the pocketed coil layer did an excellent job of providing extraordinary support to those areas of my body where I needed it most.
Zoning technology used in the coil layer offered a softer feel under my shoulders and firmer under my hips which made this mattress perfect for side sleeping. In addition these layers lifted my heavy weight with ease and helped distribute it evenly across the bed.
The Helix Midnight Luxe on my side had just enough give in the comfort layers to mold to my shoulders and hips and enough firmness necessary if I turn to my back.
So, various layers in this mattress work together to provide a level of firmness that works perfectly for all sleeping styles and sleepers of different weights, even the heavier ones such as myself.
A high-quality hybrid construction and materials of this mattress offer the amount of support that a heavy sleeper such as myself needs while it has enough softness and pressure relieving comfort that both Kaye and myself prefer as a couple sharing a mattress.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is extremely comfortable. Its unique construction and quality materials all worked together really well to provide a medium feel that we like and a perfect balance of comfort and support.
The premium quilted pillow top increased the overall comfort of this mattress and gave us the feeling of sleeping on clouds. It allowed me to sink quite a bit into it, perfectly molded to my hips and shoulders, and eliminated any possibility of the appearance of pressure points.
It also has a nice degree of responsiveness coming from its pocketed coil layer which, when combined with other the firmer transition and support layer prevents you from sinking too deep into the mattress and feeling enveloped by it.
This also facilitates moving around in bed during the night and makes this mattress perfect for sex.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress does an excellent job at sleeping cool due to its unique pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat.
In addition, this Helix mattress, like other Helix mattresses, features a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow through the top of the mattress in order to create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
Sinkage & Motion Transfer
The Helix Midnight Luxe does a great job with minimizing sinkage, especially when compared to most other hybrid mattresses we have reviewed.
Sinkage and motion transfer are largely weight dependent and the fact that I weigh around 230 lbs tends to have a rather large bearing on the degree of sinkage I experience when sitting and lying on a mattress.
I often tend to compress the top comfort layers of most hybrid mattresses quite a bit and come to rest on their coil support layers which are hard and not so comfortable.
But, this was not the case with the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress. It is true that I compressed the pillow top and comfort layer beneath it quite a bit, but the firmer support and transition layers combined with the pocketed coils prevented me from sinking further into the mattress and feeling enveloped by it.
These layers lifted my heavy weight with ease and distributed it evenly across the bed while the zoned technology of the pocketed coil layer provided just the right amount of support to those areas of my body where I needed it most.
Kaye’s felt the mattress perfectly supported her lighter weight and it didn’t cause her to roll into me which is often the case with lower quality mattresses due to our weight differences.
She also didn’t experience the common feel of “sinking into a hole” which resulted in peaceful and truly enjoyable night’s for both.
Edge support is excellent with this mattress and better than with many other beds we have reviewed so far due to the quality pocketed coils used in its construction.
I compressed its pillow top and comfort layer to a certain degree when when sitting and lying near the edge, but the firmer support and transition layers, as well as the pocketed coil layer, supported my heavy weight and prevented me from sinking too much and bottoming out. We also didn’t experience any rolling off the edges sensation.
Smell / Off-Gassing
This high quality mattress gets high marks in this category as well. It didn’t have much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box. Its hybrid design significantly reduced the amount of of-gassing and any smell that was present dissipated within a few hours.
Helix Sleep provides about the standard amount of customer service you can expect in a “Bed In A Box” online mattress retailer. This includes:
- 100 Night Sleep Trial
- 15 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- Free Shipping
- Save $125 on a Helix Midnight Luxe : Use Code: MFT125
- Money back guarantee
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is priced a bit higher and comes in at $1620 for a Queen.
However, for a mattress of such a unique construction and highest-quality materials that are used in its construction, this is more than a reasonable price.
The Helix Midnight Luxe that has been recently released by one of the leading online mattress companies is an innovative and premium mattress with a unique construction that makes it unlike any other mattress currently present on the online mattress market.
It totally met all our needs and sleep preferences and we choose it as one of our favorite mattresses for couples.
The Helix Midnight Luxe offers an extraordinary amount of comfort and support and unparalleled sleeping experience. Its incredibly soft pillow top will make you feel like sleeping on clouds while at the same time it will work with the pocketed coil layer to allow the air to circulate freely through the mattress and keep you cool and comfortable all night long.
In addition, its zoned technology will provide just the right amount of support to those areas of your body that need it most and will be a perfect choice for you if you prefer sleeping on your side.
If you like sleeping on your side and you share your bed with a partner, we heartily recommend you the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress, and we hope that this review can help you in your next mattress purchase!