Our Bear mattress review of this exciting new memory foam mattress that is targeted to athletes and those that live an active lifestyle. We take a look at how well this bed delivers on this promise!
Bear engineered their mattress to focus on cooling and muscle recovery for athletes by using a combination of different foams and Celliant in the cover which helps to regulate temperature and convert body heat into infrared light.
Read more of our Bear mattress review to see how we feel about this exciting new mattress technology on the market, and how it feels in real world sleeping conditions for us!Review updated
Is the Bear Mattress Right for You?
Buy the Bear Mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel without the feeling of being trapped – The layer of responsive memory foam within this mattress allows you to change positions during the night, and it does not cause the feeling of being stuck in foam typical for most memory foam mattresses.
- A cool-sleeping mattress – The unique design of this mattress combining the graphite gel-infused memory foam and the Celliant does a good job at regulating temperature and keeping this mattress cool throughout the entire night.
- Leading an active lifestyle – Celliant cooling technology incorporated within the cover of the Bear mattress converts body heat into infrared light, helps with muscle recovery, and ensures a quality sleep, which makes this mattress ideal for athletes and those with an active lifestyle
You might not like the Bear Mattress if:
- You like a heavier sleeper – If you are a heavier sleeper, the Bear mattress may feel a bit firm to you as it will cause you to press through the top comfort layer and feel more of the support layers below which are significantly firmer. So, if you are a heavier sleeper and you prefer sleeping on your side, this mattress may not be the right pick for you.
- You like mattresses with a lot of bounce – The Bear mattress is an all foam mattress that isn’t very buoyant. So, if you are looking for a lot of bounce and responsiveness, the Bear may not work well for you.
Construction / Materials
The Bear mattress is a 10″ thick memory foam mattress made up of 3 layers of graphite gel-infused memory foam, quick response foam, and core support foam wrapped in a Celliant cover .
- 1″ Top comfort layer – This layer is made of 1″ graphite infused memory foam and designed to provide cooling and comfort. Graphite is included which has been shown to be 7 times cooler than traditional memory foam.
- 2.5″ Middle support layer – This layer is made of 2.5″ quick response foam and provides responsive support and pressure relief. The Bear Quick Response Foam used provides faster responsiveness during the night when changing sleeping positions.
- 6.5″ Bottom foundation layer – This layer is made of 6.5″ core support foam and provides a foundation for the layers above as well as deep compression support.
The Bear has a cover made of polyester and Celliant which provides a soft sleeping surface and conveys the many benefits that Celliant is designed to provide.
Celliant converts body heat into infrared light, which has been shown in a number of studies to increase the oxygenation of blood in the body which results in decreased temperature, reduced muscle pain, and increased recovery time.
The inclusion of Celliant in the Bear Mattress is the primary reason the mattress is targeted towards the athletic and active lifestyle market, and it does a great job in this regard.
Firmness & Support
The Bear mattress is a universal comfort mattress, coming in at a 7 on the firmness scale (10 being firmest). The combination of graphite gel-infused memory foam and quick response foam in the comfort and support layers provide a somewhat firmer feel but one that adapts to the body over time.
As a heavier sleeper than Kaye, I felt the Bear was on the firmer side, which is often the case for me with many universal comfort memory foam mattresses. This is because I tend to compress through thinner top comfort layers and feel the underlying firmer foundation layers.
Kaye felt it was just right, as she prefers a firmer mattress anyway and weights a lot less than I do. The longer we slept on it, however, I did feel that it adapted to my body and seemed less firm than I initially considered it to be.
Support was good with the Bear, as the 10″ design and combination of foam layers does a good job of supporting you during the night in various sleep positions.
The 3.5″ comfort layer does a very good job of providing responsiveness during the night and a degree of bounce, while the underlying core support layer is firm enough to prevent “bottoming out” or excessive sinkage even with my 230lb weight.
The Bear is a quite comfortable mattress, with the graphite gel-infused memory foam, quick response foam, and overall construction providing a comfortable night sleep in all sleeping positions.
The combination of the graphite infused memory foam and the quick response foam really made for a comfortable sleeping surface when changing positions.
We did not feel stuck in the foam and the mattress quickly responded to our changes in position during the night.
This all foam performance mattress also has a good amount of bounce due to the responsive foam layer, which was especially beneficial for us as a couple during those late-night (and early-morning) amorous activities.
Compared to other memory foam mattresses which sometimes would leave us “stuck” in the foam, the Bear does a great job preventing this by providing enough “bounce back”.
One of the greatest attributes of the this mattress is how cool it sleeps. The combination of the graphite infused memory foam and its ability to cool 7x faster than traditional foam made a noticeable difference during the night.
The Celliant cover also seemed to reduce any aches and pains that I sometimes experience during the night due to back and shoulder injuries, and made a big difference.
Bear gets high marks in our sleeping cool evaluation by the excellent combination of these two technologies.
Sinkage & Motion Transfer
There was a average amount of sinkage with the Bear mattress, but this was mostly due to my heavier weight as a fairly large sleeper (230 lbs.)
When sitting up or near the edge, I compressed the mattress a fair amount. However, when lying prone on the bed during the night, the mattress did a good job and supporting my body evenly.
As a lighter sleeper, Kaye did not sink into the mattress nearly as much as I did, which again – is a function of sleeper weight.
As for motion transfer, there is a moderate due to bounce amount that we encountered when sleeping on the Bear mattress as a couple.
This is an important factor for us, as excessive movement from our mattress causes sleep disruptions for both of us. The Bear did a decent job of preventing too much motion compared to other memory foam mattresses.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Bear Mattress had minimal amounts of off-gassing when we unboxed it, which is above average compared to the other mattresses we have reviewed. Any smell that was present quickly dissipated and we did not notice it really at all during our first night’s sleep.
Bear provides pretty much the standard amount of customer service you can expect in a “Bed In A Box” online mattress retailer. This includes:
- 100 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- No questions asked return policy
- Click here and save $50 using this coupon: TALK50
- Free Shipping
The Bear is reasonably priced at $850 for a Queen (actually, $800 with $50 memoryfoamtalk.com coupon, just follow this link and enter code TALK50)
|Size||Bear Hybrid||Bear Mattress|
In summary, the Bear Mattress is a great mattress designed for those that lead an active lifestyle and who are looking for a memory foam mattress that sleeps cool and provides a nice degree of bounce as well.
The Bear is great for couples due to the cooling features as well as the bounce, although this also does cause a small degree of motion transfer.
Of all the mattresses we have tested so far, the Bear by far sleeps the coolest and is one of the few mattresses to utilize the impressive Celliant technology in its construction.
All in all, the Bear mattress is a very high quality mattress and delivers on its promises. We hope that our Bear mattress review helped you evaluate this great mattress!
Bear vs Nectar
Memory foam mattresses are known for their ability to provide extraordinary support, body contouring and pressure point relief, and their design can also involve some special materials and technologies which can encourage faster muscle recovery, help handle body heat, deal with allergens, etc.
To illustrate all the benefits of memory foam mattresses incorporating special technologies within their construction, we have picked two highest-quality all foam mattresses, Bear and Nectar that we’ll compare in this review and help you realize why an all foam mattress may be the right pick for you.
Read the full Bear vs. Nectar comparison.
Bear vs Tempur Pedic
Are you looking for a comfortable and supportive mattress made of the highest-quality? Perhaps a memory foam mattress may be the right choice for you.
Memory foam mattresses such are Bear and Tempur Pedic that we’ll be comparing in this review can provide ultimate support for your whole body, mold and conform to it perfectly, and evenly distribute your weight across the bed. Their specialized technology and contouring abilities may be an ideal solution for your achy joints, morning pains, and restless sleep.
Read the full Bear vs. Tempur Pedic comparison.
Bear vs Leesa
Do you love being physically active? Are you looking for something to help you sleep better and recover faster? If so, perhaps you should consider purchasing one of these all foam mattresses that we’ll be comparing in today’s review – Bear and Leesa.
The Bear mattress incorporates Celliant technology within its construction to help you recover quickly and get the rest you deserve, while the Leesa is soft and comfortable enough to lull you into sleep within minutes.
Read the full Bear vs. Leesa comparison.