Zenhaven vs. Tempur Pedic
Picking a perfect mattress for your specific needs and preferences isn’t so simple. There are many many different features, types, and materials available that it may be hard to realize what would best work for you.
Memory foam and latex mattresses both have made a reputation as being the best in the market, but which would be the best for you?
In today’s review, we’ll be comparing Zenhaven, a 100% all natural latex mattress with the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze coming from Tempur-Pedic’s line of memory foam mattresses. Both have their specific characteristics and benefits that set them apart from many other similar mattress brands available online.
Keep reading to see which one would better meet your needs. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Zenhaven mattress is a 10″ all natural Talalay latex mattress made up of 4 layers of 100% latex, with a unique flippable design which provides two different firmness options in the same mattress.
- 2 ” Comfort Layer – This layer is made up of 2″ of 100% Talalay latex with a unique 5-zone comfort layer that provides support for different areas of the body and a cool, responsive sleep surface.
- 3″ Support Layer – This layer is 3″ of denser Talalay latex, with an ILD (indention load deflection – a measure of firmness) of 25-29 when Luxury Plush is selected. This thicker layer under the top layer provides support and pressure relief.
- 3″ Support Layer – This layer is 3″ of firmer Talalay latex, with an ILD of 30-34 which, when the mattress is in the Firm setting, provides the firmer response from the latex with more push-back and a firmer overall feel. When in the Luxury Plush setting, this layer provides more support beneath the softer upper layers.
- 2 ” Comfort Layer – This layer is the same 2″ of 100% Talalay latex on the top layer of the mattress that when flipped over becomes the comfort layer.
The Talalay latex that this mattress uses is the American sourced latex, and it is hypoallergenic and resistant to mold, microbes, and dust mites. It does not contain harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs) or other chemicals as well.
The cover of the Zenhaven mattress is made up of 100% organic New Zealand wool which serves as a natural temperature regulator. It is wrapped in a very soft and luxurious organic cotton and adds to the overall high quality and luxury feel of the Zenhaven mattress.
Firmness and Support
The Zenhaven mattress, comes with two firmness options on the same mattress that can be adjusted simply by flipping the mattress over. Both sides have the same cover and comfort layer, but with different firmnesses: Gentle Firm and Luxury Plush.
The Luxury plush side provides more of a “sleeping on top” of the mattress feel vs. a “sleeping down in” the mattress” feel typical for memory foam mattresses due to its latex construction, and it scores 5-6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
The Gentle Firm side of the Zenhaven mattress is markedly firmer than the Luxury Plush setting and it feels around a 7-8 out of 10, with 10 being firmest.
Both sides of this mattress provide enough give in the top comfort layers to support shoulders and hips and have the firmness necessary for back and stomach sleeping which makes it ideal for all sleeping positions. The unique 5-zone support system provides support in the areas where it is needed most, while the buoyant Talalay latex provides good contouring to your body and a nice degree of push-back.
This mattress provides a perfect balance of comfort and support in all sleeping positions which is why it is so much loved by customers. The soft and supple Talalay latex used in the construction of the Zenhaven provides great body contouring, responsiveness, and comfort, while the soft organic cotton and wool cover contribute to its overall luxuriousness.
The latex construction of the Zenhaven combined with the wool layer and organic cotton prevents the build-up of heat, keeps the mattress cool, and eliminates the feeling of stickiness usually present in full memory foam mattresses. It keeps you cool during the whole night and allows undisturbed and quality sleep.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
With the Zenhaven mattress, sinkage is reduced to the minimum, even on the softer Luxury Plush side, due to its 100% latex construction. It provides excellent support to heavier sleepers like my partner Andrew (230lbs) and prevents them from compressing the mattress and sinking into it when sitting or lying.
Edge support is also good with this mattress as the edges do not compress when sitting or lying near them, and there is no feeling of “rolling off” the edges.
As for motion transfer, there is some motion transfer present due to the all latex nature of this mattress, but it is significantly lower than in most other mattresses we have tested.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Zenhaven gets high marks in this category for not having any smell upon the delivery as the mattress does not arrive compressed in a box like other “Bed In A Box” mattresses. The all natural Talalay latex design of this mattress contributes to this.
- 75 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- $99 White Glove shipping and setup of the mattress within your home.
The Zenhaven mattress is priced higher than most other mattresses we have reviewed. It comes in at $1899 for a Queen, but this is quite a reasonable price for a mattress of such a high quality.
Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze
Construction and Materials
Tempur-Pedic, unlike other mattress companies, don’t share a lot of information about their technology. They consider it proprietary information, so there are not many details about the materials they use for the construction of their mattresses, density of the layers, etc.
Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze is an all-foam mattress by design and it is based on the following layers:
- PureCool+ Phase Change Top Layer: This is their new comfort layer that includes exclusive technology designed to wick heat away from the body and provide a cooling layer. All memory foam, no gel materials or anything, and not a lot of public information on exactly what the Breeze consists of.
- TEMPUR-CM+ Layer: This is their support layer, made of the advanced TEMPUR material which allows maximum airflow and works with the top layer to dissipate heat for all-night cooling comfort and provide overall sleep support.
- The Foundation Layer: This Layer is made of the Ventilated TEMPUR-APR material which is known to be one of the most pressure relieving materials ever and now it also comes with an ultra breathable design. It serves as the core foundation of this mattress and provides overall support and base for the mattress.
The cover of the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze comes with a SmartClimate Dual Cover System. It is an advanced zip-off cover with double the cool-to-touch power that cool and pleasant to the touch and that will also make you feel cooler when you lie down.
Firmness & Support
The new Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze soft model is quite soft when compared to other models and the Zenhaven mattress. The PureCool+ Phase Change layer and TEMPUR-CM+ layer of this mattress place it around a 4-5 on a 10-point scale (10 being the firmest). So, when you lay on the mattress, you sink into it quite a bit, especially if you are a heavier sleeper like Andrew (230lbs).
The Tempur Pedic differs from many other memory foam mattresses in that it may initially seem to sleep hot or be too hard. However, the company recommends a 2-3 week “break-in” period for your body to acclimate to the mattress, and as the time passes your body totally adapts to it.
As it has been already mentioned, the new Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze soft is a very soft model and it gives you the feeling of sleeping on a could. It is extremely comfortable, it cushions your body and feels super luxurious.
Although it doesn’t have any special technology and materials included in its construction, its high-quality, heavy foam for which it is known perfectly conforms and adapts to your body.
Tempur Pedics used to be known for sleeping hot. The early models would be hot in the summer, and hard and cold in the winter. The ones we have used and slept on were no different.
The company has introduced their special cooling technology to address this, which is a key feature in the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze model which to a degree isn’t bad, but really is just more layers of memory foam designed to wick heat away.
These innovations are equally as effective as those of the mattresses including the newer heat regulating technology such as the use of copper, gel cooling layer or latex. Their new cooling technology does keep the mattress much cooler than previous generations of Tempur Pedic models for sure.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Tempur Pedics are known for having a very minimal motion transfer, due to the use of a high-quality dense foam in their construction.
However, sinkage with the new Cloud Luxe Breeze is a little pronounced, because it is Tempur Pedic’s softest model, and when Andrew sat down on it, it compressed quite a bit but did not cause him to sink down to the foundation.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Although there was a significant chemical smell with the earlier Tempur Pedics, they seemed to have addressed this with the current models, and with their delivery of uncompressed mattresses. So, no noticeable smell comes from the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
Tempur Pedic used to sell their mattresses through major mattress retailers exclusively which helped them avoid dealing directly with the customers. Lately, however, they began selling their mattresses online as well.
Tempur Pedic customer service includes:
- 90 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- In-home delivery guaranteed by Tempur Pedic.
Although Tempur Pedics are generally expensive (a queen Cloud Luxe Breeze costs $4499), the company offers discounts which can help you save up to 30% on certain sizes of the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
Zenhaven vs. Tempur Pedic Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Zenhaven vs. Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze mattress.
|Zenhaven||Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze|
|Layers||2″ of 100% Talalay latex with a unique 5-zone comfort layer, 3″ of denser Talalay latex, 3″ of firmer Talalay latex, 2″ of 100% Talalay latex||PureCool+ Phase Change Top Layer, TEMPUR-CM+ Layer, Ventilated TEMPUR-APR Foundation Layer|
|Cover||Made up of 100% organic New Zealand wool wrapped in a very soft and luxurious organic cotton||Thin, removable cotton cover|
|Firmness||Luxury plush side: 5-6 out of 10 |
Gentle Firm side: 7-8 out of 10
|4-5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Minimal||Very minimal|
|Warranty||10 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||75 nights||90 days|
|Shipping||$99 White Glove shipping and setup of the mattress within your home||In-home delivery|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Zenhaven mattress if you like:
- Flippable mattress – The Zenhaven comes with two firmness options, Gentle Firm and Luxury Plush, within the same mattress. They can be easily adjusted simply by flipping the mattress over.
- An all-natural mattress – The Zenhaven is made up of 100% organic cotton, wool, and natural latex. Therefore, it is an all-natural, eco-friendly mattress.
- Cool-sleeping mattress – The latex construction of the Zenhaven combined with the wool layer and organic cotton prevents the build-up of heat, keeps the mattress cool, and eliminates the feeling of stickiness usually present in full memory foam mattresses.
Choose Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze if you like:
- The feel of the memory foam – If you like the soft feel of full memory foam mattresses, then the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze may be the right choice for you. It is an all foam mattress, made of the high-quality dense foam layers that provide necessary comfort and hug typical for memory foam.
- Soft mattresses – Cloud Luxe Breeze a very soft all foam mattress. Its top comfort layers provide enough cushioning and they perfectly mold to your body.
- Sharing your bed – Memory foam is known for causing minimal or no motion transfer at all, and the Cloud Luxe Breeze does a good job at isolating excessive motion transfer as well due to its dense memory foam layers. Therefore, if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner, this mattress may be ideal for you. You can change your position or get in and out of bed during the night freely without disturbing your beloved one.