Zenhaven vs. Spindle
Are you looking for a mattress made from natural materials? These days there is a great variety of mattresses made from natural materials on the market, and latex mattresses are those that have people talking.
Latex proves to be a fantastic choice for many reasons. Besides being a natural, eco-friendly material, latex is also noted for delivering optimal comfort from its inherent springiness and for being more hygienic than other types of materials used in the construction of mattresses.
In today’s review, we’ll present you with the characteristics and benefits of two 100% latex mattresses: Zenhaven and Spindle.
There are only slight differences between the two as both are made of the highest quality natural latex and both can provide you with the sound and comfortable sleep.
Construction and Materials
The Zenhaven mattress is a 10″ all natural Talalay latex mattress made up of 4 layers of 100% latex, with a unique flippable design which provides two different firmness options in the same mattress.
- 2 ” Comfort Layer – This layer is made up of 2″ of 100% Talalay latex with a unique 5-zone comfort layer that provides support for different areas of the body and a cool, responsive sleep surface.
- 3″ Support Layer – This layer is 3″ of denser Talalay latex, with an ILD (indention load deflection – a measure of firmness) of 25-29 when Luxury Plush is selected. This thicker layer under the top layer provides support and pressure relief.
- 3″ Support Layer – This layer is 3″ of firmer Talalay latex, with an ILD of 30-34 which, when the mattress is in the Firm setting, provides the firmer response from the latex with more push-back and a firmer overall feel. When in the Luxury Plush setting, this layer provides more support beneath the softer upper layers.
- 2 ” Comfort Layer – This layer is the same 2″ of 100% Talalay latex on the top layer of the mattress that when flipped over becomes the comfort layer.
The Talalay latex that this mattress uses is the American sourced latex, and it is hypoallergenic and resistant to mold, microbes, and dust mites. It does not contain harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs) or other chemicals as well.
The cover of the Zenhaven mattress is made up of 100% organic New Zealand wool which serves as a natural temperature regulator. It is wrapped in a very soft and luxurious organic cotton and adds to the overall high quality and luxury feel of the Zenhaven mattress.
Firmness and Support
The Zenhaven mattress, comes with two firmness options on the same mattress that can be adjusted simply by flipping the mattress over. Both sides have the same cover and comfort layer, but with different firmnesses: Gentle Firm and Luxury Plush.
The Luxury plush side provides more of a “sleeping on top” of the mattress feel vs. a “sleeping down in” the mattress” feel typical for memory foam mattresses due to its latex construction, and it scores 5-6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
The Gentle Firm side of the Zenhaven mattress is markedly firmer than the Luxury Plush setting and it feels around a 7-8 out of 10, with 10 being firmest.
Both sides of this mattress provide enough give in the top comfort layers to support shoulders and hips and have the firmness necessary for back and stomach sleeping which makes it ideal for all sleeping positions. The unique 5-zone support system provides support in the areas where it is needed most, while the buoyant Talalay latex provides good contouring to your body and a nice degree of push-back.
This mattress provides a perfect balance of comfort and support in all sleeping positions which is why it is so much loved by customers. The soft and supple Talalay latex used in the construction of the Zenhaven provides great body contouring, responsiveness, and comfort, while the soft organic cotton and wool cover contribute to its overall luxuriousness.
The latex construction of the Zenhaven combined with the wool layer and organic cotton prevents the build-up of heat, keeps the mattress cool, and eliminates the feeling of stickiness usually present in full memory foam mattresses. It keeps you cool during the whole night and allows undisturbed and quality sleep.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
With the Zenhaven mattress, sinkage is reduced to the minimum, even on the softer Luxury Plush side, due to its 100% latex construction. It provides excellent support to heavier sleepers like my partner Andrew (230lbs) and prevents them from compressing the mattress and sinking into it when sitting or lying.
Edge support is also good with this mattress as the edges do not compress when sitting or lying near them, and there is no feeling of “rolling off” the edges.
As for motion transfer, there is some motion transfer present due to the all latex nature of this mattress, but it is significantly lower than in most other mattresses we have tested.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Zenhaven gets high marks in this category for not having any smell upon the delivery as the mattress does not arrive compressed in a box like other “Bed In A Box” mattresses. The all natural Talalay latex design of this mattress contributes to this.
- 75 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- $99 White Glove shipping and setup of the mattress within your home.
The Zenhaven mattress is priced higher than most other mattresses we have reviewed. It comes in at $1899 for a Queen, but this is quite a reasonable price for a mattress of such a high quality.
The Spindle is made of 100% natural Dunlop latex which can be customized to suit your needs and sleep preferences based on your questionnaire answers. It is unique in that the company sends it as a customized parcel of three latex layers, which you can assemble at home according to your liking. If it happens that the combination of the latex layers you have received does not suit your needs, Spindle offers the option to swap out the layers until you finally find those that will be perfect for you.
Construction and Materials
We have tested the Spindle mattress in the “Firm“ setting. It is 10“ thick and made up of 3 layers of natural Dunlop latex.
- A 3″ Top Layer – This layer is 3″ of all natural Dunlop latex with medium firmness
- A 3″ Middle Layer – This is another 3″ layer of natural latex with “firm” firmness
- A 3″ Bottom Layer – This is another 3″ layer of natural latex with “firm” firmness
The cover of the Spindle mattress is made up of circular knit fabric with 1″ of natural wool batting.
The Spindle mattress arrives in different boxes and is designed to be assembled at home. The cover is unfolded and then 3 boxes of the 3″ latex are laid out and placed within the cover depending on the firmness options selected and then zipped up.
Firmness and Support
As it has been already mentioned, the Spindle mattress comes in a variety of firmness configurations. Based on the weight of my partner Andrew (230lbs), the company recommended that we go with the Firm model.
The Firm setting has a Medium firm layer on top and two layers of firmer latex below, and we rate it around a 7-8 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being the firmest).
What is great about this mattress is that it feels more comfortable than many foam or spring mattresses of the same level of firmness due to its latex nature. As such, it provides excellent support for all sleeping positions and does a great job at supporting Andrew’s heavier weight. It offers enough give in the top comfort layers to support our shoulders and hips while also having the firmness necessary if we switch to our stomachs and backs.
Although the Spindle mattress initially feels rather firm and not as cushioned as some of the memory foam mattresses, with the time it adapts to your body and provides a nice body contouring and a very comfortable night sleep.
The responsiveness and bounce coming from its quality latex construction do not just provide a comfortable sleeping surface, but they can also enhance the romantic moments with your partner as well.
The Spindle mattress, like the Zenhaven, does an excellent job at sleeping cool. Latex doesn’t retain heat like foam does, so it eliminates the sticky, sweaty feeling typical for memory foam mattresses and provides a comfortable and cool sleeping surface.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
There is not much sinkage and motion transfer with the Spindle, especially with the Firm setting as the latex used in its construction, ensures there is minimal sinkage when sitting or lying on the mattress.
Edge support is very good with this mattress too. The edges don’t compress when sitting or lying near them, and they will not cause you to feel as if you are going to roll off your bed.
Although the Spindle is a bouncy and responsive full latex mattress, it causes minimal motion transfer as the high-density latex layers and firmness of the mattress all work together to isolate movement to a good degree.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Spindle does not have any off-gassing and any significant odor due to its all natural latex design. Although we did have the latex smell on our hands after assembling the mattress, the mattress itself did not have any significant odor.
• 365 Night Sleep Trial
• 10 Year Warranty
• 25 Year Comfort Life Program
• Free Shipping
Although the Spindle is priced lower than the Zenhaven, it is still more expensive than most mattresses we have tested as it is 100% latex. It comes in at $1349 for a Queen, but you can save 5% on this price using code: talk5.
Zenhaven vs. Spindle Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Zenhaven vs. Spindle mattress.
|Layers||2″ of 100% Talalay latex with a unique 5-zone comfort layer, 3″ of denser Talalay latex, 3″ of firmer Talalay latex, 2″ of 100% Talalay latex||3″ of all natural Dunlop latex with medium firmness, 3″ layer of natural latex with “firm” firmness, 3″ layer of natural latex with “firm” firmness|
|Cover||Made up of 100% organic New Zealand wool wrapped in a very soft and luxurious organic cotton||Made up of circular knit fabric with 1″ of natural wool batting|
|Firmness||Luxury plush side: 5-6 out of 10 |
Gentle Firm side: 7-8 out of 10
|Customizable; Firm: 7-8 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Minimal||Very minimal|
|Warranty||10 years||10 years and 25 of Comfort Life Program|
|Trial Period||75 nights||365 days|
|Shipping||$99 White Glove shipping and setup of the mattress within your home||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Zenhaven mattress if you like:
- Flippable mattress – The Zenhaven comes with two firmness options, Gentle Firm and Luxury Plush, within the same mattress. They can be easily adjusted simply by flipping the mattress over.
- An all-natural mattress – The Zenhaven is made up of 100% organic cotton, wool, and natural latex. Therefore, it is an all-natural, eco-friendly mattress.
- Cool-sleeping mattress – The latex construction of the Zenhaven combined with the wool layer and organic cotton prevents the build-up of heat, keeps the mattress cool, and eliminates the feeling of stickiness usually present in full memory foam mattresses.
Choose Spindle mattress if you like:
- Natural materials – From the all-natural latex used in the construction of the Spindle mattress to the organic cotton and wool batting in its cover, it is an all-natural, eco-friendly mattress. It is an excellent choice for all eco-conscious individuals.
- A Mattress With a Lot of Bounce – The Spindle is a very bouncy mattress thanks to its all-latex construction. So if you opt for a mattress with a buoyant structure that will provide you with the feeling of sleeping on top of the mattress rather than sleeping in the mattress, then the Spindle would be a fantastic pick for you.
- A Cool-Sleeping Mattress – The combination of wool that wicks away moisture and serves as a natural temperature regulator and all-natural latex in this mattress will prevent the build-up of heat and provide you with a cool and comfortable sleep.