Zenhaven vs. Loom and Leaf
Are you looking for the easiest way to buy the mattress that will perfectly meet your needs? Perhaps you should look for your mattress online.
There are a large number of online mattress retailers offering various types of mattresses, and Saatva has established themselves as one of the leading names in the mattress industry and as one of the largest online mattress retailers.
The company was founded in 2011, and although they originally started out selling innerspring mattresses, they have since expanded their product line to incorporate environmentally-friendly latex and memory foam mattresses known as the Zenhaven and the Loom & Leaf.
One of the great things about Saatva mattresses, including the ones we look at today, is that they don’t arrive in your house in a box! Today, we’ll take a look at the basic characteristics and benefits of these two mattresses, and maybe we can help you find out if one of them may be the right choice for you. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Zenhaven mattress is a 10″ all natural Talalay latex mattress made up of 4 layers of 100% latex, with a unique flippable design which provides two different firmness options in the same mattress.
- 2 ” Comfort Layer – This layer is made up of 2″ of 100% Talalay latex with a unique 5-zone comfort layer that provides support for different areas of the body and a cool, responsive sleep surface.
- 3″ Support Layer – This layer is 3″ of denser Talalay latex, with an ILD (indention load deflection – a measure of firmness) of 25-29 when Luxury Plush is selected. This thicker layer under the top layer provides support and pressure relief.
- 3″ Support Layer – This layer is 3″ of firmer Talalay latex, with an ILD of 30-34 which, when the mattress is in the Firm setting, provides the firmer response from the latex with more push-back and a firmer overall feel. When in the Luxury Plush setting, this layer provides more support beneath the softer upper layers.
- 2 ” Comfort Layer – This layer is the same 2″ of 100% Talalay latex on the top layer of the mattress that when flipped over becomes the comfort layer.
The Talalay latex that this mattress uses is the American sourced latex, and it is hypoallergenic and resistant to mold, microbes, and dust mites. It does not contain harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs) or other chemicals as well.
The cover of the Zenhaven mattress is made up of 100% organic New Zealand wool which serves as a natural temperature regulator. It is wrapped in a very soft and luxurious organic cotton and adds to the overall high quality and luxury feel of the Zenhaven mattress.
Firmness and Support
The Zenhaven mattress, comes with two firmness options on the same mattress that can be adjusted simply by flipping the mattress over. Both sides have the same cover and comfort layer, but with different firmnesses: Gentle Firm and Luxury Plush.
The Luxury plush side provides more of a “sleeping on top” of the mattress feel vs. a “sleeping down in” the mattress” feel typical for memory foam mattresses due to its latex construction, and it scores 5-6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
The Gentle Firm side of the Zenhaven mattress is markedly firmer than the Luxury Plush setting and it feels around a 7-8 out of 10, with 10 being firmest.
Both sides of this mattress provide enough give in the top comfort layers to support shoulders and hips and have the firmness necessary for back and stomach sleeping which makes it ideal for all sleeping positions. The unique 5-zone support system provides support in the areas where it is needed most, while the buoyant Talalay latex provides good contouring to your body and a nice degree of push-back.
This mattress provides a perfect balance of comfort and support in all sleeping positions which is why it is so much loved by customers. The soft and supple Talalay latex used in the construction of the Zenhaven provides great body contouring, responsiveness, and comfort, while the soft organic cotton and wool cover contribute to its overall luxuriousness.
The latex construction of the Zenhaven combined with the wool layer and organic cotton prevents the build-up of heat, keeps the mattress cool, and eliminates the feeling of stickiness usually present in full memory foam mattresses. It keeps you cool during the whole night and allows undisturbed and quality sleep.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
With the Zenhaven mattress, sinkage is reduced to the minimum, even on the softer Luxury Plush side, due to its 100% latex construction. It provides excellent support to heavier sleepers like my partner Andrew (230lbs) and prevents them from compressing the mattress and sinking into it when sitting or lying.
Edge support is also good with this mattress as the edges do not compress when sitting or lying near them, and there is no feeling of “rolling off” the edges.
As for motion transfer, there is some motion transfer present due to the all latex nature of this mattress, but it is significantly lower than in most other mattresses we have tested.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Zenhaven gets high marks in this category for not having any smell upon the delivery as the mattress does not arrive compressed in a box like other “Bed In A Box” mattresses. The all natural Talalay latex design of this mattress contributes to this.
- 75 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- $99 White Glove shipping and setup of the mattress within your home.
The Zenhaven mattress is priced higher than most other mattresses we have reviewed. It comes in at $1899 for a Queen, but this is quite a reasonable price for a mattress of such a high quality.
Loom and Leaf
Construction and Materials
The Loom and Leaf is over 12″ thick and made up of 4 layers of memory foam:
- 2″ Top Cooling and Comfort Layer – This layer is a 2″ 4lb gel memory foam using a patented gel-on-gel swirl design and convoluted foam laminated to medical grade cooling gel which provides a cool, supportive sleep environment and promotes airflow furthering cooling.
- 2.5″ Mattress Core Layer – This layer is made of 2.5″ of 5lb visco-elastic memory foam for deep contouring support
- 2″ Transition Layer – This layer is a 2″ transition loft pad, which serves as a transfer layer between the base support layer and those layers above and provides better support and comfort overall.
- 5.5″ Bottom Foundation Layer – Thus layer is a 5.5″ high-density foam core base which acts as the foundation and support for the rest of the mattress.
The cover of the Loom and Leaf is vastly different from the normal thin covers of the most other memory foam mattresses. It is made from 100% organic cotton with a circular knit top, quilted with a 5/8” foam layer that provides a luxurious feel and acts as a natural flame retardant.
Firmness and Support
The Loom and Leaf, like the Zenhaven, offers two firmness options: the Loom and Leaf Relaxed Firm, scoring 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest, and the Loom and Leaf Firm, which is an 8 out of 10. This makes the Loom and Leaf suitable for people with different firmness preferences and different body weights like Andrew and myself.
The thick construction and high-density foam of this mattress perfectly supported Andrew’s weight (230lbs) and our hips and shoulders and provided us with the necessary comfort and feeling of massage during the night.
The 12″ thickness of the Loom and Leaf, its tufted quilted cotton cover that includes a 5/8″ foam layer, and the 6.5″ of specialty foams and the exclusive gel cooling layer included in its construction make this mattress a very comfortable one.
When you first lay down on the Loom and Leaf you will feel an immediate softness due to the quilted cover with the foam layer, and the support layers will begin to sense your pressure and react accordingly providing you with a very balanced feel.
The Loom and Leaf will hug your body and provide it with a nice degree of contouring without causing the feeling of being trapped in the memory foam typical for most memory foam mattresses.
Most memory foam mattresses lead to the retention of heat and cause a sweaty sticky feeling, but this is not the case with the Loom and Leaf. Like the Zenhaven, this mattress sleeps cool and eliminates any feeling of discomfort caused by a build-up of heat.
The exclusive cooling gel in the top layer of the Loom and Leaf, which is usually found in hospital burn units, allows maximum cooling and airflow and helps you stay cool and comfortable during the night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Sinkage and motion transfer on the Loom and Leaf depend on the model that you select (Relaxed Firm vs. Firm), as well as how much you weigh. The Relaxed Firm that we tested caused more sinkage when compared to the Firm model. But both models, thanks to their thick construction, did not cause us to sink down to the foundation of our bed like most of the other mattresses did.
Both Loom and Leaf models also do a good job of supporting heavier sleepers like my partner when sleeping or sitting near the edge, and they cause very minimal motion transfer with the high-quality dense foam construction doing a great job of insulating movement when turning or adjusting the positions during sleep.
Smell / Off-Gassing
As for smell/off-gassing, it is non-existent with the Loom and Leaf mattresses just like with the Zenhaven as they are shipped uncompressed in their natural form, which is not the case with other online mattress retailers and their memory foam mattresses.
Customer service is something that Loom and Leaf prides itself on, and it gets high marks in this category. Upon putting your zip code on the site and determining whether the delivery is possible for your area, the mattresses are delivered directly to you by truck and professionally installed.
Other customer attributes include:
- 120-night sleep trial
- 10-year warranty
- Direct in-home delivery and setup with mattress removal
- Made in the USA
- Factory-direct pricing at Loomandleaf.com
The price of the Loom and Leaf mattresses coming in at around $1100 for a queen is quite surprising given the exceptional quality materials used in their construction and the direct-to-home shipping and installation.
Zenhaven vs. Loom and Leaf Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Zenhaven vs. Loom and Leaf mattress.
|Zenhaven||Loom and Leaf|
|Layers||2″ of 100% Talalay latex with a unique 5-zone comfort layer, 3″ of denser Talalay latex, 3″ of firmer Talalay latex, 2″ of 100% Talalay latex||2″ 4lb gel memory foam, 2.5″ of 5lb visco-elastic memory foam, 2″ transition loft pad, 5.5″ high-density foam core base|
|Cover||Made up of 100% organic New Zealand wool wrapped in a very soft and luxurious organic cotton||Made from 100% organic cotton with a circular knit top, quilted with a 5/8” foam layer|
|Firmness||Luxury plush side: 5-6 out of 10 |
Gentle Firm side: 7-8 out of 10
|Relaxed Firm: 6 out of 10, Firm: 8 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Minimal||Very minimal|
|Warranty||10 years||15 years|
|Trial Period||75 nights||120 days|
|Shipping||$99 White Glove shipping and setup of the mattress within your home||$85-$99, full service in-home delivery|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Zenhaven mattress if you like:
- Flippable mattress – The Zenhaven comes with two firmness options, Gentle Firm and Luxury Plush, within the same mattress. They can be easily adjusted simply by flipping the mattress over.
- An all-natural mattress – The Zenhaven is made up of 100% organic cotton, wool, and natural latex. Therefore, it is an all-natural, eco-friendly mattress.
- Cool-sleeping mattress – The latex construction of the Zenhaven combined with the wool layer and organic cotton prevents the build-up of heat, keeps the mattress cool, and eliminates the feeling of stickiness usually present in full memory foam mattresses.
Choose Loom and Leaf mattress if you like:
- A medium or hard firmness – The Loom & Leaf is available in two firmness options: a medium and firm. The medium is a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale and the hard is an 8 out of 10. This makes the Loom and Leaf mattresses suitable for people with different firmness preferences and different body weights.
- A balanced feel – The padded cover, thick comfort layer, and high-quality materials of this mattress create a balanced feel that will be enjoyable by most sleepers.
- A mattress that uses natural materials – The Loom and Leaf is known for using plant-based foams, organic cotton cover, and natural fire-retardant thistle.
- A thick and supportive mattress – The thick construction and high-density foam of this mattress makes it suitable for sleepers of different weights as it provides a necessary comfort and perfect support even to heavier sleepers.
- Full service in-home delivery – The Loom and Leaf may be an ideal choice for you if you don’t like unboxing the mattress and setting it up yourself as the Loom and Leaf provides full service in-home delivery. The mattress will be delivered directly to you by truck and professionally installed.