Zenhaven vs. Avocado
We are back with another comparison. This time we’ll be comparing the 100% all natural latex Zenhaven with the latex/coil hybrid Avocado.
Both are durable green mattresses using natural latex in their construction, and both are highly breathable mattresses that sleep quite cool. Both provide a good degree of bounce and responsiveness, and both use natural wool under the cover. But which one would be a better choice for you?
Keep reading to learn the basic characteristics and benefits of both mattresses, and you’ll eventually find out which one would better suit your specific needs and preferences. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Zenhaven mattress is a 10″ all natural Talalay latex mattress made up of 4 layers of 100% latex, with a unique flippable design which provides two different firmness options in the same mattress.
- 2 ” Comfort Layer – This layer is made up of 2″ of 100% Talalay latex with a unique 5-zone comfort layer that provides support for different areas of the body and a cool, responsive sleep surface.
- 3″ Support Layer – This layer is 3″ of denser Talalay latex, with an ILD (indention load deflection – a measure of firmness) of 25-29 when Luxury Plush is selected. This thicker layer under the top layer provides support and pressure relief.
- 3″ Support Layer – This layer is 3″ of firmer Talalay latex, with an ILD of 30-34 which, when the mattress is in the Firm setting, provides the firmer response from the latex with more push-back and a firmer overall feel. When in the Luxury Plush setting, this layer provides more support beneath the softer upper layers.
- 2 ” Comfort Layer – This layer is the same 2″ of 100% Talalay latex on the top layer of the mattress that when flipped over becomes the comfort layer.
Click here for more details on the Zenhaven mattress layers.
The Talalay latex that this mattress uses is the American sourced latex, and it is hypoallergenic and resistant to mold, microbes, and dust mites. It does not contain harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs) or other chemicals as well.
The cover of the Zenhaven mattress is made up of 100% organic New Zealand wool which serves as a natural temperature regulator. It is wrapped in a very soft and luxurious organic cotton and adds to the overall high quality and luxury feel of the Zenhaven mattress.
Firmness and Support
The Zenhaven mattress, comes with two firmness options on the same mattress that can be adjusted simply by flipping the mattress over. Both sides have the same cover and comfort layer, but with different firmnesses: Gentle Firm and Luxury Plush.
The Luxury plush side provides more of a “sleeping on top” of the mattress feel vs. a “sleeping down in” the mattress” feel typical for memory foam mattresses due to its latex construction, and it scores 5-6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
The Gentle Firm side of the Zenhaven mattress is markedly firmer than the Luxury Plush setting and it feels around a 7-8 out of 10, with 10 being firmest.
Both sides of this mattress provide enough give in the top comfort layers to support shoulders and hips and have the firmness necessary for back and stomach sleeping which makes it ideal for all sleeping positions. The unique 5-zone support system provides support in the areas where it is needed most, while the buoyant Talalay latex provides good contouring to your body and a nice degree of push-back.
This mattress provides a perfect balance of comfort and support in all sleeping positions which is why it is so much loved by customers. The soft and supple Talalay latex used in the construction of the Zenhaven provides great body contouring, responsiveness, and comfort, while the soft organic cotton and wool cover contribute to its overall luxuriousness.
The latex construction of the Zenhaven combined with the wool layer and organic cotton prevents the build-up of heat, keeps the mattress cool, and eliminates the feeling of stickiness usually present in full memory foam mattresses. It keeps you cool during the whole night and allows undisturbed and quality sleep.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
With the Zenhaven mattress, sinkage is reduced to the minimum, even on the softer Luxury Plush side, due to its 100% latex construction. It provides excellent support to heavier sleepers like my partner Andrew (230lbs) and prevents them from compressing the mattress and sinking into it when sitting or lying.
Edge support is also good with this mattress as the edges do not compress when sitting or lying near them, and there is no feeling of “rolling off” the edges.
As for motion transfer, there is some motion transfer present due to the all latex nature of this mattress, but it is significantly lower than in most other mattresses we have tested.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Zenhaven gets high marks in this category for not having any smell upon the delivery as the mattress does not arrive compressed in a box like other “Bed In A Box” mattresses. The all natural Talalay latex design of this mattress contributes to this.
- 75 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- $99 White Glove shipping and setup of the mattress within your home.
The Zenhaven mattress is priced higher than most other mattresses we have reviewed. It comes in at $2399 for a Queen, but this is quite a reasonable price for a mattress of such a high quality.
Click here to read the full Zenhaven mattress review.
Construction and Materials
The Avocado mattress is an 11″ hybrid combining natural latex, wool, organic cotton, and pocketed coils and it now comes with pillow top that is permanently attached with 2 more inches of plush organic latex for added pressure relief and luxury.
The Avocado consists of 3 layers and is available either with or without an optional pillow top for those who want a plusher feel.
- 2″ Comfort Layer – This layer is made of 2″ soft natural Dunlop latex designed to increase airflow and provide comfort and responsiveness to the mattress.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of the high-density Dunlop latex, which gives firmness to the mattress and provides a transition between the upper comfort layer and the coil support layer.
- 8″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 8″ of individually pocketed innerspring coils (up to 1303 in the largest mattress) that provide even distribution of weight, pressure point, and the underlying support to the mattress. The coils are arranged in zones for greater comfort with 3 distinct areas to provide support where it is needed most.
The cover of the Avocado mattress is button-tufted and made up of 100% organic cotton and antimicrobial wool. It is soft to the touch, breathable, provides a luxurious feel and helps with temperature regulation. Besides this, the Avocado mattress has hand-sewn upholstered handles on its sides for easier moving or rotating.
Firmness and Support
The Avocado mattress unlike the all latex Zenhaven comes in only one firmness option and scores 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
Its pocketed coil foundation layer provides good support, whereas the top latex layer provides more of a sensation of floating that is a specific characteristic of memory foam mattresses.
There is also a large degree of bounce to the mattress coming from the latex foam and innerspring layers. The Avocado uses two different latex layers, a soft in the comfort layer and firmer in the transition layer that adds to the comfort when combined with the luxurious organic cotton and wool.
The latex in this mattress will not provide you with a feeling of deep hug usually felt with layers of traditional memory foam, but it will provide you with a nice contouring and it will perfectly suit all your sleeping positions.
As for the comfort, the Avocado mattress is a rather comfortable one, especially with the soft 2″ pillow top that adds pressure relief and luxury.The coil base foundation provides your body with a good support while the top comfort layers provide necessary contouring.
It offers a nice bounce and a high degree of push-back and response. Although latex may not provide you with a feeling of deep hug offered by memory foam, with time it will adapt to your body and become a lot more comfortable.
Apart from the organic cotton and wool cover, latex layers, and air circulation that innerspring coils offer, the Avocado mattress doesn’t have a large degree of cooling technology, but this is enough to keep your sleeping surface cool and comfortable and provide you with a quality night’s sleep.
Latex is known for its cooling properties, while wool acts as a natural temperature regulator. All this combined with a good airflow coming from the innerspring coils will prevent the build-up of heat and keep you cool throughout the entire night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Avocado mattress has a minimal sinkage with the latex and coil construction doing an excellent job in providing the support and push-back. It offers solid edge support and eliminates the feeling of “rolling off“ of the mattress.
As for the motion transfer, it is a little bit higher than in most mattresses we have reviewed as the coils and latex provide a large degree of bounce and responsiveness. The heavier weight of my partner (230lbs) also caused the mattress to move more than usual.
The Avocado mattress doesn’t have any noticeable smell upon opening the box which is the result of the organic design and build of the mattress and the absence of foam in its construction. Therefore, it gets high marks in this category.
- 100 night Trial period
- 10-year Warranty
- Free Shipping, $99 white glove delivery option
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- American made
- All organic, natural materials and construction.
The Avocado mattress like the Zenhaven is priced higher than many of the mattresses we have tested, and it comes in at $1399 for a Queen. It is pricier than foam mattresses, but less than latex mattresses in general.
All in all, $1399 for a Queen is a great price for a high-quality organic mattress, and it is surprisingly low given the luxury materials included.
Click here to read the full Avocado mattress review.
Zenhaven vs. Avocado Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Zenhaven vs. Avocado mattress.
|Layers||2″ of 100% Talalay latex with a unique 5-zone comfort layer, 3″ of denser Talalay latex, 3″ of firmer Talalay latex, 2″ of 100% Talalay latex||2″ of softer natural Dunlop latex, 1″ of firmer Dunlop latex, 8″ of pocketed innerspring coils|
|Cover||Made up of 100% organic New Zealand wool wrapped in a very soft and luxurious organic cotton||Organic cotton and New Zealand wool cover, hand tufted rosettes, hand-sewn upholstered handles on the sides|
|Firmness||Luxury plush side: 5-6 out of 10 |
Gentle Firm side: 7-8 out of 10
|6 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Minimal||Higher than in most other mattresses|
|Warranty||10 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||75 nights||100 days|
|Shipping||$99 White Glove shipping and setup of the mattress within your home||Free shipping, $99 white glove delivery option|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Zenhaven mattress if you like:
- Flippable mattress – The Zenhaven comes with two firmness options, Gentle Firm and Luxury Plush, within the same mattress. They can be easily adjusted simply by flipping the mattress over.
- An all-natural mattress – The Zenhaven is made up of 100% organic cotton, wool, and natural latex. Therefore, it is an all-natural, eco-friendly mattress.
- Cool-sleeping mattress – The latex construction of the Zenhaven combined with the wool layer and organic cotton prevents the build-up of heat, keeps the mattress cool, and eliminates the feeling of stickiness usually present in full memory foam mattresses.
Choose Avocado mattress if you like:
- Eco-friendly materials – The Avocado mattress is made of eco-friendly materials without petroleum-based polyurethane foam, toxic flame retardants, dangerous pesticides, and without risk from volatile chemicals and gasses.
- Supportive and comfortable mattress – The mattress provides a good support from the pocketed coil foundation layer, while the latex top layer provides more of a comfort and sensation of floating.
- Mattress with bounce – The combination of latex and innerspring coils used in the mattress construction creates a pretty large degree of bounce.