WinkBeds vs. Sapira
In today’s mattress comparison, we’ll be reviewing the two luxury hybrid mattresses: The WinkBeds and the Sapira (created by the maker of the Leesa mattress).
Both are made of innerspring and foam materials and both come at a fraction of what you normally have to pay for mattresses of such high quality.
If you are in the market for a new mattress, but you can’t decide between these two highest-quality mattresses, take a look at our in-depth comparison and see if this is what you are really looking for.
Construction and Materials
The WinkBed mattress is a 15″ thick innerspring and foam hybrid. It is made up of 6 layers of foam and springs wrapped up in a luxurious and very attractive and soft exterior.
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of 1.5lb Hypersoft foam that provides buoyancy, comfort, and contour for the body.
- 1″ Top Cooling and Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of premium 1.5lb Gel foam that provides additional comfort, cooling, and breathability.
- 2.5″ Foam Coil Layer – This layer is 2.5″ of foam encased innerspring micro air-spring coils. There are 1,358 coils in a Queen, designed to provide support and pressure relief and allow better airflow and cooling.
- Lumbar Pad Layer – Located beneath the air springs, this layer is made of pre-compressed densified cotton for lower back support.
- Steel Coil Support Layer – 14.15 gauge steel coil with 858 coils per queen – a total of 2,211 with the above layers for a queen which provides support and weight distribution and aids in cooling.
- 2″ Support Foam Layer – It is the final bottom layer of 1.5lb density support foam that acts as the foundation for the above layers and helps keep the mattress shape.
The cover of the WinkBed mattress is a luxurious one, made from Tencel, a plant-based fiber that is more absorbent than cotton, softer than silk and cooler than linen. Besides this, it is OEKO-TEX Standard 100, Class 1 certified – which means it is safe enough for babies and children.
The white and polka dot blue color scheme combined with the tufting adds to the elegance and stylishness of this mattress.
Firmness and Support
The WinkBeds comes in multiple firmness options and the one we tested is the Luxury Firm. It scores 6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest and feels more on the firm side when compared to the universal comfort mattresses.
In terms of support, the WinkBed mattress feels very supportive with its 15″ thickness and the spring layer beneath the euro-top comfort layer. It provides excellent support to sleepers of different weights, even heavier sleepers like my partner (230lbs).
It has the necessary firmness for back and stomach sleeping while offering enough give in the top comfort layers to cradle your hips and shoulders, which makes this mattress suitable for all sleeping positions.
The WinkBed mattress is very comfortable with the top layer of quilted foam and Tencel providing a supple sleeping surface, while the springs beneath do the heavy lifting.
It gives you the feeling of sleeping “on top” instead of “down in” the mattress and provides a nice degree of bounce and responsiveness needed to switch positions and support heavy body weight.
The WinkBed does a good job at sleeping cool due to the combination of the gel foam top layer with the micro air springs and inner steel coils in its construction.
The CoolControl base option that the WinkBeds company offers aids in cooling by providing independent heating and cooling of each side of the mattress.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The WinkBed does an excellent job with sinkage and motion transfer. The 15″ construction of this mattress including durable support steel springs and the micro air springs supports weight and regulates sinkage exceptionally well.
Edge support is also very good with this mattress as the edges do not compress too much when sleeping or sitting near them and you will not experience the feeling of the “rolling off” the edges.
The degree of motion transfer in this mattress is a little bit higher than in most of the foam mattresses we have reviewed, but it is nothing too extreme.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The company delivers white-glove to your door so there is no any smell or off-gassing. The WinkBeds mattress comes directly to your door in its natural form, uncompressed, so it doesn’t release any noticeable smell typical for many Bed-In-A-Box mattresses that often come wrapped in plastic packages.
- 101 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- Made in America at their Wisconsin plant
- Custom made to order
- Free Shipping and white glove delivery.
The WinkBed is priced very reasonably given the premium materials used in its construction and white glove delivery. The WinkBed sells for $1299 for a Queen, and you can save $50 using our code MFT50.
A foundation is available for $250 with the CoolControl foundation for the additional $2200.
Construction and Materials
The Sapira mattress is an 11″ pocketed coil and foam hybrid made up of 5 layers.
- 1.5″ Comfort & Cooling Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of high-density performance foam that serves to provide an initial response to the sleeper and improve airflow.
- 1.5″ Contour Layer – This is a 1.5″ memory foam layer beneath the top performance layer that provides body contouring and pressure relief during sleep.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of poly foam which provides support and serves as the transition between the memory foam layer and pocketed coils.
- 6″ Support Layer – This layer is 6″ of pocketed coils (1,041 in a Queen mattress) which provide the main support for the mattress. They feature pressure zones that provide support where it is needed most, while edge support coils provide exceptional edge support for the Sapira.
- 1″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 1″ of poly base foam which serves as the support for the layers above it.
The cover of the Sapira mattress is made up of a soft and comfortable blend of poly and lycra. It has a visually appealing and soft 4 bar pattern and assists with airflow and breathability.
Firmness and Support
The Sapira mattress, unlike the WinkBeds that is offered in multiple firmness options, comes in only one firmness option and scores 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
The combination of pocketed coil foundation and the top comfort layers provides excellent support to heavier sleepers without making them feel like they are sinking into the mattress. It provides enough give in the top comfort layer to support shoulders and hips and has the firmness necessary for back and stomach sleeping. Therefore, it is suitable for all sleeping positions.
The Sapira mattress is quite comfortable with the expected degree of bounce needed to switch positions during the night and support body weight, and different foam layers in the top comfort layer that provide good body contour and hug.
The soft exterior cover combined with the multiple layers of foam does a good job at providing response and body contour without the feeling of being trapped in foam.
Just like the WinkBeds, the Sapira mattress does a good job at sleeping cool due to the combination of the innerspring pocketed coils and multiple foam layers in the top comfort layer.
Memory foam often leads to the build-up of heat, but this is not the case with the Sapira. It helps you stay cool during the night without causing the sweaty and sticky feel typical for memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The pocketed coil construction of the Sapira does an excellent job at supporting heavier sleepers like Andrew (230lbs) and causes a minimal degree of sinkage.
Edge support is also very good with this mattress as edges do not compress when sitting or lying near them.
As for the motion transfer, it is a little bit higher than in most memory foam mattresses we have reviewed, but it is to be expected with the hybrid construction of this mattress which naturally provides more bounce than the full foam or latex mattresses due to the innerspring coils in its construction.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Sapira gets high marks in this category for not having a noticeable smell upon opening the box. Its hybrid construction minimizes the degree of off-gassing typical for memory foam mattresses.
- 100 night Trial period
- 10-year Warranty
- Free Shipping
- White glove delivery and installation option, for $99 a two-person team will set up your mattress in your house.
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- Save $200 on a Sapira by clicking here
- American made
The Sapira is reasonably priced, coming in at $1475 for a Queen. This is a good price given the quality materials and construction used in this mattress.
WinkBeds vs. Sapira Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the WinkBeds vs. Sapira mattress.
|Layers||1″ of 1.5lb Hypersoft foam, 1″ of premium 1.5lb Gel foam, 2.5″ of foam encased innerspring micro air-spring coils, pre-compressed densified cotton, 14.15 gauge steel coils, 1.5lb density support foam||1.5″ of high-density performance foam, 1.5″ memory foam, 1″ of poly foam, 6″ of pocketed coils, 1″ of poly base foam|
|Cover||Made of soft plant-based Tencel with the white and polka dot blue color scheme combined with the tufting||Made up of a soft and comfortable blend of poly and lycra with visually appealing and soft 4 bar pattern|
|Firmness||6.5 out of 10||7 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Higher than in most foam mattresses||Higher than in most memory foam mattresses|
|Warranty||10 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||101 days||100 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping and white glove delivery||Free shipping, $99 white glove delivery and installation option|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||100% money back guarantee for Refunds & Returns|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose WinkBed mattress if you like:
- Mattresses with luxury but eco-friendly covers – The cover of the WinkBed is a luxurious one, made from Tencel, that is soft and absorbent, plant-based eco-friendly fiber. Besides this, it is OEKO-TEX Standard 100, Class 1 certified – which means it is safe enough for babies and children.
- Excellent support – In terms of support, the WinkBed mattress feels very supportive with its 15″ thickness and the spring layer beneath the euro-top comfort layer.
- Sleeping cool – Gel foam top layer helps the WinkBed sleep cool while the coil structure of it allows for increased airflow through the mattress and aids in cooling. Besides this, WinkBeds offers accessory options for temperature regulation.
Choose Sapira mattress if you like:
- Mattress with a good support – The combination of the innerspring coil system and different foam layers in the top comfort layer provides an excellent degree of support suitable for sleepers of different weights and all sleeping positions.
- Sleeping on your back or stomach – The Sapira mattress is more on the firmer side with 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being the firmest) which makes it ideal for back and stomach sleepers.
- The feeling of hug offered by memory foam – The soft exterior cover of this mattress combined with the multiple layers of foam does a good job at providing your body with a necessary hug, response, and contour without the feeling of being trapped in foam.