WinkBeds vs. Leesa Hybrid
In today’s mattress comparison, we’ll be reviewing the two luxury hybrid mattresses: The WinkBeds and the Leesa Hybrid (created by the maker of the Leesa mattress).
Both are made of innerspring and foam materials and both come at a fraction of what you normally have to pay for mattresses of such high quality.
If you are in the market for a new mattress, but you can’t decide between these two highest-quality mattresses, take a look at our in-depth comparison and see if this is what you are really looking for. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The WinkBed mattress is a 15″ thick innerspring and foam hybrid. It is made up of 6 layers of foam and springs wrapped up in a luxurious and very attractive and soft exterior.
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of 1.5lb Hypersoft foam that provides buoyancy, comfort, and contour for the body.
- 1″ Top Cooling and Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of premium 1.5lb Gel foam that provides additional comfort, cooling, and breathability.
- 2.5″ Foam Coil Layer – This layer is 2.5″ of foam encased innerspring micro air-spring coils. There are 1,358 coils in a Queen, designed to provide support and pressure relief and allow better airflow and cooling.
- Lumbar Pad Layer – Located beneath the air springs, this layer is made of pre-compressed densified cotton for lower back support.
- Steel Coil Support Layer – 14.15 gauge steel coil with 858 coils per queen – a total of 2,211 with the above layers for a queen which provides support and weight distribution and aids in cooling.
- 2″ Support Foam Layer – It is the final bottom layer of 1.5lb density support foam that acts as the foundation for the above layers and helps keep the mattress shape.
The cover of the WinkBed mattress is a luxurious one, made from Tencel, a plant-based fiber that is more absorbent than cotton, softer than silk and cooler than linen. Besides this, it is OEKO-TEX Standard 100, Class 1 certified – which means it is safe enough for babies and children.
The white and polka dot blue color scheme combined with the tufting adds to the elegance and stylishness of this mattress.
Firmness and Support
The WinkBeds comes in multiple firmness options and the one we tested is the Luxury Firm. It scores 6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest and feels more on the firm side when compared to the universal comfort mattresses.
In terms of support, the WinkBed mattress feels very supportive with its 15″ thickness and the spring layer beneath the euro-top comfort layer. It provides excellent support to sleepers of different weights, even heavier sleepers like my partner (230lbs).
It has the necessary firmness for back and stomach sleeping while offering enough give in the top comfort layers to cradle your hips and shoulders, which makes this mattress suitable for all sleeping positions.
The WinkBed mattress is very comfortable with the top layer of quilted foam and Tencel providing a supple sleeping surface, while the springs beneath do the heavy lifting.
It gives you the feeling of sleeping “on top” instead of “down in” the mattress and provides a nice degree of bounce and responsiveness needed to switch positions and support heavy body weight.
The WinkBed does a good job at sleeping cool due to the combination of the gel foam top layer with the micro air springs and inner steel coils in its construction.
The CoolControl base option that the WinkBeds company offers aids in cooling by providing independent heating and cooling of each side of the mattress.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The WinkBed does an excellent job with sinkage and motion transfer. The 15″ construction of this mattress including durable support steel springs and the micro air springs supports weight and regulates sinkage exceptionally well.
Edge support is also very good with this mattress as the edges do not compress too much when sleeping or sitting near them and you will not experience the feeling of the “rolling off” the edges.
The degree of motion transfer in this mattress is a little bit higher than in most of the foam mattresses we have reviewed, but it is nothing too extreme.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The company delivers white-glove to your door so there is no any smell or off-gassing. The WinkBeds mattress comes directly to your door in its natural form, uncompressed, so it doesn’t release any noticeable smell typical for many Bed-In-A-Box mattresses that often come wrapped in plastic packages.
- 101 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- Made in America at their Wisconsin plant
- Custom made to order
- Free Shipping and white glove delivery.
The WinkBed is priced very reasonably given the premium materials used in its construction and white glove delivery.
A foundation is available for $250 with the CoolControl foundation for the additional $2200.
Construction and Materials
The Leesa Hybrid mattress is a 11″ mattress made up of 5 layers of hybrid pocketed coils and foam.
- 1.5″ Cooling Premium Foam Top Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of hole-punched responsive foam, designed to improve airflow through the mattress and provide the initial response to the sleeper as well as enough bounce and hug.
- 1.5″ Contouring Memory Foam Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of memory foam that is directly beneath the responsive top foam layer. This layer helps provide enhanced body contouring and pressure relief during sleep.
- 1″ Core Support Foam Layer – This layer is 1″ of transitional core support foam which works to provide transitional support between the memory foam layer above and the layer of pocketed coils beneath.
- 6″ Support Layer – This layer is 6″ of active response pocketed coils (1,000+) which provide extraordinary support to the body, reduce motion transfer and increase the overall durability and stability of the mattress. This pocketed coil system also comes with special Perimeter Edge Support which provides exceptional edge support for all body types.
- 1″ Core Support Foam Base Layer – This layer is 1″ of core support base foam which provides support for the layers above.
The Leesa Hybrid mattress has a beautiful seamless, white and grey cover which is not only soft and comfortable but also assists with airflow and breathability.
The cover has a similar 4 bar pattern like the Leesa Original but with more of a sheen to it which is visually appealing and also quite soft.
Firmness and Support
The Leesa Hybrid mattress comes in only one firmness option and scores 6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
The combination of pocketed coil foundation and the top comfort layers provides excellent support to heavier sleepers without making them feel like they are sinking into the mattress. It provides enough give in the top comfort layer to support shoulders and hips and has the firmness necessary for back and stomach sleeping. Therefore, it is suitable for all sleeping positions.
The Leesa Hybrid mattress is quite comfortable with the expected degree of bounce needed to switch positions during the night and support body weight, and different foam layers in the top comfort layer that provide good body contour and hug.
The soft exterior cover combined with the multiple layers of foam does a good job at providing response and body contour without the feeling of being trapped in foam.
Just like the WinkBeds, the Leesa Hybrid mattress does a good job at sleeping cool due to the combination of the innerspring pocketed coil construction with the multiple layers of cooling foams in the top comfort layer and breathable cover.
While using a variety of foams in the top construction often lends to heat buildup and retention, the Leesa Hybrid does a good job at minimizing this, especially because it features the hole-punched top foam layer that allows great airflow through the mattress and helps keep things cool and comfortable throughout the whole night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The pocketed coil construction of the Leesa Hybrid does an excellent job at supporting heavier sleepers like Andrew (230lbs) and causes a minimal degree of sinkage.
Edge support is also very good with this mattress as edges do not compress when sitting or lying near them.
As for the motion transfer, it is a little bit higher than in most memory foam mattresses we have reviewed, but it is to be expected with the hybrid construction of this mattress which naturally provides more bounce than the full foam or latex mattresses due to the innerspring coils in its construction.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Leesa Hybrid gets high marks in this category for not having a noticeable smell upon opening the box. Its hybrid construction minimizes the degree of off-gassing typical for memory foam mattresses.
- 100 night Trial period
- 10-year Warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- American made
The Leesa Hybrid is reasonably priced, coming in at $1799 for a Queen. This is a good price given the quality materials and construction used in this mattress.
WinkBeds vs. Leesa Hybrid Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the WinkBeds vs. Leesa Hybrid mattress.
|Layers||1″ of 1.5lb Hypersoft foam, 1″ of premium 1.5lb Gel foam, 2.5″ of foam encased innerspring micro air-spring coils, pre-compressed densified cotton, 14.15 gauge steel coils, 1.5lb density support foam||1.5″ of hole-punched responsive foam, 1.5″ contouring memory foam, 1″ of transitional core support foam, 6″ of active response pocketed coils, 1″ of core support base foam|
|Cover||Made of soft plant-based Tencel with the white and polka dot blue color scheme combined with the tufting||A beautiful seamless, white and grey cover which is assists with airflow and breathability|
|Firmness||6.5 out of 10||6.5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Higher than in most foam mattresses||Higher than in most memory foam mattresses|
|Warranty||10 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||101 days||100 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping and white glove delivery||Free shipping, $99 white glove delivery and installation option|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||100% money back guarantee for Refunds & Returns|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose WinkBed mattress if you like:
- Mattresses with luxury but eco-friendly covers – The cover of the WinkBed is a luxurious one, made from Tencel, that is soft and absorbent, plant-based eco-friendly fiber. Besides this, it is OEKO-TEX Standard 100, Class 1 certified – which means it is safe enough for babies and children.
- Excellent support – In terms of support, the WinkBed mattress feels very supportive with its 15″ thickness and the spring layer beneath the euro-top comfort layer.
- Sleeping cool – Gel foam top layer helps the WinkBed sleep cool while the coil structure of it allows for increased airflow through the mattress and aids in cooling. Besides this, WinkBeds offers accessory options for temperature regulation.
Choose Leesa Hybrid mattress if you like:
- Mattress with a good support – The combination of the innerspring coil system and different foam layers in the top comfort layer provides an excellent degree of support suitable for sleepers of different weights and all sleeping positions.
- Sleeping on your back or stomach – The Leesa Hybrid mattress is more on the firmer side with 6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being the firmest) which makes it ideal for back and stomach sleepers.
- The feeling of hug offered by memory foam – The soft exterior cover of this mattress combined with the multiple layers of foam does a good job at providing your body with a necessary hug, response, and contour without the feeling of being trapped in foam.