Puffy Royal Hybrid Mattress Review
In this review we take a look at another amazing Puffy hybrid that combines some of the extraordinary features of the luxurious Puffy Royal with the highest quality pocketed coils to form the incredible 14″ Puffy Royal Hybrid.
This mattress combines the highest quality proprietary foams and the most advanced SMT cooling technology with the special Contour-Adapt pocketed coil system to provide you with the best contouring and adaptive support needed for a cool comfortable night’s sleep.
Just like their original, this mattress is super thick and it is designed to suit all sleeping styles and all types of sleepers, including heavier sleepers and couples. You can read more about our experiences with the Puffy mattress review.
Read our review of the newest Puffy mattress to see what we think about this new royal hybrid and what are our experiences sleeping on it and find out how well it could work for you. Review updated
Is the Puffy Royal Hybrid Mattress Right for You?
Buy the Puffy Royal Hybrid Mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel – The Puffy Royal Hybrid mattress, just like the all foam Puffy Royal, features a proprietary designed memory foam which will hug and mold to your body to provide you with incredible comfort and relieve your pressure points.
- Supportive mattresses – This mattress features the highest quality pocketed coil system and the advanced technology for enhanced spinal support. It is separated into 5 cloud zones and designed to provide customized support to the back and a softer feel for the head, neck, shoulders and feet.
- A mattress that sleeps cool – The Puffy Royal Hybrid mattress uses various cooling technologies such as infused cooling beads, the unique STM cloud design and special pocketed coils which all work together to minimize heat absorption, increase airflow and create an optimal level of comfort necessary for a restorative night’s sleep.
You might not like the Puffy Royal Hybrid Mattress if:
- You don’t like the bounce and responsiveness of hybrid mattresses – The Puffy Royal Hybrid is a hybrid mattress made of multiple foam layers and pocketed coils which work together to give this mattress a lot of bounce and responsiveness.
Construction and Materials
The Puffy Royal Hybrid is a 14″ thick mattress made of multiple layers of proprietary designed memory foam and pocketed coil system:
- Top Cooling layer – The top layer is made of proprietary foam infused with cooling beads, designed to reduce heat retention and provide plush contouring and a consistent and comfortable sleeping surface.
- Comfort Layer – This layer is made of premium reflexive memory foam designed to contour to your body and provide reflexive bounce to relieve stress and restore your body throughout the night so you can wake up rejuvenated and refreshed every morning.
- Climate Comfort Foam Layer – This layer is made of special temperature and humidity resistant Climate Comfort Foam designed to provide extraordinary pressure relief on all temperature and humidity levels and combat climate fluctuations which can disrupt a comfortable night’s sleep. It is also resistant to contractions and expansions that often occur from extreme temperatures.
- Support Layer – This layer is made of premium foam that features the unique Sectional Cloud Technology to minimize heat absorption and increase airflow throughout the mattress.
- Pocketed Coil Layer – This layer is made of high quality Contour-Adapt Coils that combine with the firm core support layer to provide extraordinary support and keep your spine properly aligned in all sleeping positions. It also serves as foundation for the layers above, allows greater airflow through the mattress, aids in cooling and provides greater durability and stability to the mattress.
The new Puffy Royal Hybrid, just like the previous all foam Puffy Royal mattress, has a breathable and extremely soft cover with a silky, luxury feel to it that works to wick away moisture and heat and provide you with a cool, comfortable and recovering sleep that you need.
Firmness & Support
The Puffy Royal Hybrid is a universal comfort model designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers with different needs and sleep preferences and we felt it to be around a 6 on the firmness scale (10 being the firmest).
Puffy has their own firmness scale on their site and they rate this mattress in a range you can see below.
As we always preach, firmness is largely weight dependent, and I usually compress the top comfort layers of most highly rated mattresses more than Kaye does as I weigh considerably more than she does (230lbs vs. 115).
Although I compressed the top comfort layers of the Puffy Royal Hybrid mattress to a certain degree, it did a great job of lifting my heavy weight and our combined weights sleeping as a couple and distributed them evenly across the bed.
A nice 14″ thick design worked perfectly with the dense foam layers and highest quality pocketed coil system to support my heavy weight and prevent me from sinking too much into the mattress and feel enveloped by it.
This mattress, just like the all foam Puffy Royal, features a special advanced STM technology which separates the bed into 5 different cloud zones for enhanced spine support and this technology combined with the supportive pocketed coil system provides enhanced zoned support for your lumbar and back region and a slightly softer feel under your head, neck, shoulders and feet.
So, in terms of support, the Puffy Royal Hybrid does a great job of providing excellent support in all sleeping positions and for all sleeping styles. The dense foam layers used on top will provide you with a gentle cushioning and that classic memory foam feel while the pocketed coil system in combination with these foam layers and the special Sectional Cloud Technology will provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most.
A nice 14″ thick design of this mattress and the use of various proprietary foams and highest quality pocketed coils in its construction make it incredibly comfortable.
The top comfort layers work together with the Climate-Adaptive Regulation layer, the layer featuring the unique Sectional Cloud Technology and special pocketed coil system to keep your spine aligned while cradling your body and preventing any pressure points during sleep.
Its dense foam layers will hug and cushion your body to provide you with incredible comfort and pressure relief and that classic memory foam feel, but they won’t make you feel stuck in foam.
The special foams used in the construction of this mattress combined with the pocketed coil system will respond to your body and provide enough bounce to facilitate moving around in bed and getting in and out of it during the night. This also makes the Puffy Royal Hybrid perfect for sex.
The top comfort layers will work together with the zoned design and highest-quality pocketed coils to provide enhanced spine support, while also offering enough pressure relieving comfort where it is needed.
So, this hybrid is supportive enough, and yet has the softness coming from its plush top comfort layers necessary for a comfortable sleep. It will make you feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud, but it will prevent you from sinking too much in the mattress and feel enveloped by it.
Finally, the Puffy Royal Hybrid, like all other Puffy mattresses features a soft and breathable cover that has a silky feel to it which adds to its overall comfort and luxuriousness.
The Puffy Royal Hybrid mattress sleeps incredibly cool due to various cooling technologies used in its construction.
The cooling layer infused with cooling beads prevents the build-up of heat and regulates the temperature of your body, while the special Climate-Adaptive Regulation layer regulates temperature and humidity to keep you cool and comfortable and prevent overheating.
In addition, the unique layer that features Sectional Cloud Technology minimizes heat absorption and works perfectly with the pocketed coil system below to allow greater airflow through the mattress and keep you cool throughout the night.
A soft and breathable cover of this mattress also aids in cooling and keeps the sleeping surface cool and pleasant to the touch.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Like we often preach, sinkage and motion transfer are highly weight dependent and as I weigh more than Kaye, I usually tend to sink down a lot more into mattresses when sitting up on them or on the edge.
I tend to compress the soft top comfort layers of most mattresses and feel more of the firm support layers below which are hard and not so comfortable. However, this was not the case with the Puffy Royal Hybrid mattress.
It did a great job with minimizing the amount of sinkage, especially when compared to most other hybrid mattresses that we have reviewed.
It is true that I compressed its softer top comfort layers quite a bit, but the slightly firmer foam layers and the pocketed coil system below prevented me from sinking too much into the mattress and feeling enveloped by it.
A nice 14″ thick design of this mattress worked with the denser foam layers and pocketed coil system to provide excellent support and lifted my heavy body weight and our combined weights sleeping as a couple with ease and distributed them evenly across the bed.
Kaye didn’t experienced the same amount of sinkage as I did given that she’s half my weight, and she also didn’t roll towards me or feel as if she was going to sink into a hole as it is often the case with other mattresses.
Edge support was also good with this mattress. I compressed its softer top comfort layers to a certain degree when sitting or lying near the edges, but I didn’t experience any “rolling off” the edges sensation.
As this Puffy model has thick layers of durable foams just like the previous Puffy Royal, there is almost no motion transfer. It does a great job of minimizing the amount of motion transfer between the partners and we didn’t feel any disruption in our sleep.
Smell / Off-Gassing
There was a small amount of off-gassing / smell with this mattress coming mostly from being compressed during packaging and shipping, but it was nothing overpowering when compared to some other mattresses we have reviewed. Any smell that was present, dissipated pretty quickly (within a few hours).
The Puffy company is pretty standard when it comes to their warranty and support offerings. Their customer service includes:
- 101-Night Sleep Trial
- Lifetime Warranty
- Free shipping
- Free Refunds & Returns
- Made in the USA
- Save money on the purchase of the Puffy Royal Hybrid by clicking on this link
The Puffy Royal Hybrid mattress comes in at $2395 for a Queen. It is a bit pricey, but this is quite a reasonable price given the premium materials used in its construction and the overall comfort and luxuriousness that it offers.
The Puffy Royal Hybrid is a great foam / coil hybrid that recently hit the market with an amazing 14″ design and some extraordinary cooling technologies.
Just like the previous Puffy mattresses, this one is a universal comfort model designed to appeal to a wide variety of sleepers with different needs and sleep preferences.
Various foam layers used in the construction of the Puffy Royal Hybrid mattress provide a perfect pressure relief and the cloud-like feel while the firmer pocketed coil layer provides excellent support and works with the zoned layer to provide support to those areas of your body where it is needed the most.
So, this mattress provides an ideal balance of pressure relieving comfort and support needed for a comfortable and pain-free night’s sleep.
Besides this, the proprietary foams used in the design of this mattress work with the pocketed coil system to provide extraordinary cooling and reduce the amount of sinkage and motion transfer which makes it one of the top choices for those who tend to sleep hot and frequently change positions during the night.
If you’re looking for an interesting hybrid mattress that comes with an amazing 14″ thick design and some great cooling features, then the Puffy Royal Hybrid might be a perfect pick for you.