Leesa Legend Mattress Review
We make a small commission if you purchase a Leesa Hybrid mattress from our site after clicking on our referral links. All opinions and reviews are based on our personal experience.
Our Leesa Legend mattress review takes a look at the newest hybrid mattress by Leesa, one of the most popular online mattress companies.
Although the company started out with just one all foam mattress, they have expanded recently and now they offer 4 amazing new mattresses, including this unique hybrid that we will be reviewing today.
The Leesa Legend is an amazing coil / foam hybrid that combines two layers of special pocketed coils with the highest-quality foams to provide a comfortable and pain-free night’s sleep.
Read our review of the Leesa Legend mattress to see what we think about this exciting new mattress and find out how well it could work for you. (Review updated)
Is the Leesa Legend Mattress Right for You?
Buy the Leesa Legend Mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel – The Leesa Legend combines various layers of memory foam in the top comfort layers that provide perfect pressure relief and that will allow you to sink in the mattress to a certain degree and provide you with the classic memory foam feel of contouring without the feeling of being trapped.
- Sleeping cool – This mattress sleeps quite cool due to the combination of two layers of pocketed springs with the multiple layers of cooling foams in the top comfort layer and breathable cover.
- Bounce and responsiveness of hybrid mattresses – The Leesa Legend mattress features two layers of springs – pocketed springs for edge-to-edge support and special microcoils for targeted support which offer a nice degree of bounce and responsiveness and which facilitate moving around in bed and make this mattress excellent for sex.
- Mattresses with excellent support – This mattress provides excellent support for all sleeping positions and all types of sleepers due to its unique construction and design. It features two layers of springs – pocketed springs for edge-to-edge support and special microcoils that provide just the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most.
You might not like the Leesa Legend Mattress if:
- You don’t like the bounce and responsiveness of hybrid mattresses – As mentioned, the Leesa Legend mattress features two layers of pocketed coils which makes it have more bounce and responsiveness than all foam mattresses. So, if you are not a big fan of this, the Leesa Legend may not be the best choice for you.
Construction and Materials
The Leesa Legend mattress is a 12″ mattress made up of 6 layers of pocketed coils, microcoils and foam.
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of hole-punched responsive foam, designed to improve airflow through the mattress and provide the initial response to the sleeper as well as enough bounce and hug.
- 1″ Pressure-Relieving Memory Foam Layer – This layer is 1″ of pressure-relieving memory foam designed to provide enhanced body contouring and pressure relief during sleep.
- 1.5″ Micro-Pocket Spring Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of special microcoils designed to provide enhanced stability and pressure relief for your hips and shoulders. It works with stabilizing foam to reduce motion transfer and provide advanced support and durability.
- 1″ Transition Core Support Foam Layer – This layer is 1″ of transitional core support foam which works to provide transitional support between the microcoil layer above and the layer of pocketed coils beneath.
- 6″ Support Layer – This layer is 6″ of active response pocketed coils (1,000+) which provide extraordinary support to the body, reduce motion transfer and increase the overall durability and stability of the mattress. This pocketed coil system also comes with special Full Perimeter Edge Support which provides exceptional edge support for all body types.
- 1″ Core Support Foam Base Layer – This layer is 1″ of core support base foam which provides support for the layers above.
The cover of the Leesa Legend mattress is a natural, knitted cover with the iconic four-stripe design. It is made of 28% polyester, 28% recycled PES, 19% organic cotton, 12% Merino wool, 12% rayon and 1% Spandex. The Recycled PES is made from recycled water bottles with approximately 60 plastic bottles in a Queen.
The cover is soft and beautiful and it also assists with airflow and breathability and aids in cooling.
Firmness & Support
The Leesa Legend mattress only comes in one firmness option which we feel to be medium firm and rate it a 6.5 out of 10 (10 being the firmest).
The company has their own firmness scale where they rate this mattress in a range you can see below.
With most mattresses since I’m a heavier sleeper, I tend to press through the top comfort layers and feel more of the firmer support layers beneath which are often hard and not so comfortable.
This wasn’t the case with the Leesa Legend. It is true that I compressed the soft top comfort layers quite a bit, but the microcoil layer and the slightly firmer transition foam layer below nicely transitioned my body weight into the firm pocketed coil support layer and I didn’t feel any pain or discomfort. I also didn’t sink too much into the mattress and feel enveloped by it.
So, the Leesa Legend does a good job in terms of support. The combination of various layers of pocketed coils, microcoils and foam did a good job of lifting my heavy weight and our weights combined as a couple and distributed them evenly across the bed.
We are primarily side sleepers and we like the mattresses that have enough give in the top comfort layers to cushion our shoulders and hips and prevent the appearance of pressure points while also having enough support needed to keep our spines properly aligned if we switch to our stomachs and backs.
The Leesa Legend has it all. It offers enough give in the top comfort layers and works perfectly with the layer of microcoils to cradle our shoulders and hips and prevent any pain and stiffness while the firmer foams and pocketed coil system below provide the right amount of support needed for all sleeping positions.
The Leesa Legend mattress is quite comfortable with its premium materials and unique design that really set it apart from most other mattresses we have reviewed.
The incredibly soft cover of this mattress combined with the top comfort layers of various foams and the special layer of microcoils provides a very supple and comfortable sleeping surface.
The foam and micro coil spring design provide a high level of responsiveness and a degree of bounce to the mattress which facilitates moving around in bed and getting in and out of it during the night and makes this mattress perfect for sex.
So, if you like medium firm beds that offer both memory foam feel and bounce coming from the pocketed coils, then you will truly enjoy this hybrid. The level of comfort that it provides works for a large variety of sleepers with different sleeping styles and preferences.
It has enough softness in the top comfort layers to cradle your shoulders and hips and prevent the appearance of pressure points when sleeping on your side while it also has enough firmness necessary to support your body and promote proper spinal alignment when you switch to your stomach or back.
The Leesa Legend does a good job of sleeping cool due to the combination of the innerspring pocketed coil and microcoil construction with the multiple layers of cooling foams in the top comfort layer and breathable cover.
While using a variety of foams in the top construction often lends to heat buildup and retention, the Leesa Legend does a good job at minimizing this, especially because it features the hole-punched top foam layer, just like the Leesa Hybrid, that allows great airflow through the mattress and helps keep things cool and comfortable throughout the whole night.
We didn’t sweat a lot and didn’t feel any stickiness that is often present with most all foam mattresses or those featuring memory foam in their top comfort layers.
Sinkage & Motion Transfer
The Leesa Legend mattress does a good job with minimizing sinkage, especially compared to most mattresses we have reviewed. As we always preach, sinkage and motion transfer are largely weight dependent.
The fact that I weigh around 230lbs tends to have a rather large bearing on the degree of sinkage I experience when sitting and lying on a mattress. Kaye, who is half my weight, experiences much less sinkage than I do, but again this is to be expected due to her much lighter weight.
The combination of various foam layers with the pocketed coil layer and layer of special microcoils does a really good job of minimizing the amount of sinkage I experience when sitting or lying on a mattress.
It is true that I compressed the softer top comfort layers quite a bit, but the layer of microcoils and the slightly firmer transition foam layer below nicely transitioned my heavy weight and our combined weights as a couple into the firm pocketed coil layer and prevented us from sinking too much into the mattress and feeling trapped in it.
Edge support is very good with this mattress, and better than many mattresses we have reviewed due to the special Full Perimeter Edge Support that the pocketed coil system of this mattress comes with.
I slept near the edge at times to test this and did not experience any of the “rolling off” the edges or having them compressed under my weight when sitting on the edge as well.
As for motion transfer, the unique foam and microcoil construction of the Leesa Legend caused less motion transfer between both Kaye and myself when sleeping and changing positions during the night.
We did feel each other move around and get up during the night, as my heavier weight would move the mattress to a decent degree, but it was nothing too serious and did not interfere with our sleep.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Leesa Legend mattress gets high marks in this category for not having a noticeable smell upon opening the box. The hybrid coil / foam construction minimized the degree of off-gassing that all foam mattresses usually have.
Leesa offers many of the same features as other online mattress retailers which includes:
- 100-Night Trial Period
- 10-Year Warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- Save money on the purchase of a Leesa Legend by clicking here
- American made
The Leesa Legend is priced a bit higher and comes in at $1849, but this is a good price given the highest-quality materials used in the construction of this mattress and its overall comfort and luxuriousness.
The Leesa Legend mattress is a great new hybrid coil / foam mattress that combines two layers of springs – pocketed springs and microcoils with the highest quality foams for an amazing sleeping experience.
It is a medium-medium firm mattress that offers a perfect balance of pressure relieving comfort and support. Its top comfort layers made of soft and comfortable foams work together with the special microcoil layer to cradle your shoulders and hips and prevent the appearance of pressure points or any other kind of discomfort.
The firmer foams below and pocketed coil system provide the right amount of support needed to keep your spine properly aligned regardless of your preferred sleeping position.
The Leesa Legend sleeps quite cool and has excellent edge support as well due to the special edge support technology included in the pocketed coil system of this mattress.
There is also a minimal amount of motion transfer with this mattress due to the special microcoils and top comfort layers of foam which reduce motion transfer between partners.
All in all, this is a great hybrid mattress of unique design and construction. It will provide you with the bounce and response of coils but also with the contour of classic memory foam!