IDLE Air Mattress Review
This review takes a look at the new IDLE Air mattress, a new adjustable bed made of various latex and foam layers and special air chambers that can can be inflated with a remote control to adjust the firmness level.
The IDLE Air recently hit the online mattress market, promising high quality materials and construction and an unparalleled sleeping experience at an affordable price, with the adjustable air chamber design and flippable Eurotop which allows you to choose to have a latex or memory foam feel whenever you desire.
IDLE Sleep has come out with a variety of different mattresses, all with their trademark flippable design that along with the IDLE Air, includes a Hybrid, Latex, and Foam model. This time we were sent the Air model, which we will discuss in more detail below.
This in-depth review of the IDLE Air mattress evaluates all of the criteria we use to determine what constitutes a good mattress, which includes firmness / support, comfort, sleeping hot, and other features as outlined below.
Hopefully our review of this innovative mattress will help you in your next mattress purchase decision! Review last updated
Is the IDLE Air Mattress Right for You?
Buy the IDLE Air mattress if you like:
- Adjustable mattresses – This mattress features a special air chamber that can be inflated with a wired remote and that gives you the ability to adjust the firmness whenever you like. You can also get a dual chamber system so that each side of the mattress can have different firmness according to your needs and the needs of your partner.
- Mattresses that sleep cool – The IDLE Air sleeps cool due to the use of various cooling technologies in its cover as well as in the foam layers.
- Durable mattresses with excellent edge support – This mattress has excellent Memory Weave wrapped Power Edge support with a “no bow” design which prevents oxidation of foam and increases the longevity of the mattress.
You might not like the IDLE Air mattress if:
- You are looking for cheaper mattresses – The IDLE Air mattress is priced much higher than most other beds we have reviewed, coming in at $2584 for a Queen (Dual chamber) option, so if you are looking for cheaper option, this one may not be the right choice for you.
Construction and Materials
The IDLE Air mattress is a 14″ latex and foam mattress made up of 7 layers, with the special side panels and Memory Weave wrapped Power Edge support.
- Comfort Layer – This Smart Pillow Top layer features memory foam on one side and latex on the other. This means that sleepers can flip this layer and depending on their preferences and choose either the plush and pressure-relieving memory foam that perfectly contours to the body and evenly distributes body weight or bouncier latex that allows greater airflow through the mattress and sleeps cool.
- Multi-zoned Posture Grid Support Layer – This layer helps transition the sleeper from softer top materials into the firmer materials below. This layer is also zoned for posture support with firmer foams at the hips for a bit of lift and softer ones at the shoulders for pressure relief and head-to-toe comfort.
- Super Soft Contouring Comfort Layer – This layer contours to the body, distributes body weight evenly and eliminates pressure points.
- Exclusive Moisture Barrier Backing – This material protects internal components of this mattress thus prolonging its life and promoting a healthier sleeping environment.
- 5-zone Anatomic 1″ Support Layer – This layer is 1″ of extra-thick, high-density polyurethane foam. It includes a unique combination of 5 different zones which help reduce pressure points and provide customized support for your entire body.
- Air Support Layer – This layer is comprised of two air support chambers which can be filled with as much air as the sleeper wants. At the touch of a button on remotes attached to either side of the bed you can customize the firmness to your individual preferences without disturbing your partner. More air will make a mattress firmer while less air will produce a softer feel and allow deep pressure relief.
- Memory Weave wrapped Power Edge support – All of the above layers are wrapped in a firm ring of edge support which offers comfort and support when sitting on the side or lying on the mattress. It has a “no bow” design which increases the durability and longevity of the mattress by preventing oxidation of the foam and which allows you to safely sit or sleep on the edge.
The cover of the IDLE Air features a 3-D Euro style super pillow top. It is highly breathable and incredibly soft to the touch and promotes a temperature neutral sleep experience. A special material used in this cover creates a contouring plush feel of fiber while it prevents the appearance of body impressions associated with fiber.
The side panels of this bed are beautifully quilted and finely tailored with contrasting basalt grey threading and accent faux straps which offer classic style and traditional looks but offer a very modern feel.
Firmness & Support
The IDLE Air mattress is fully adjustable in terms of firmness going from soft at a 3 to firm at a 9 as you can from the image provided below that is found on the company’s website.
This means that with just a touch of a button you can add air to the special air chambers, adjust the firmness level of your mattress to your liking and go from firm to soft and back again whenever you want.
In addition, you can choose to have either latex layer on top or the memory foam simply by unzipping the Eurotop of this mattress and turning the layers which adds to the customizability of this luxurious mattress.
You can order queen and king size mattresses with 1 or 2 chambers and while single sleepers may prefer the single chamber option, especially if they prefer sleeping in the middle of the mattress, couples will certainly enjoy the dual chamber option that allows each side to be controlled separately.
With this level of customizability, the IDLE Air mattress was the perfect firmness for both of us. The nice 14″ thickness of the IDLE Air mattress with its special Air Support system did a great job of supporting both my heavier 230lb weight and combined weight with Kaye.
Kaye generally prefers firmer mattresses than me so she added more air to the air chamber on her side of the bed while I like mattresses that mold to my hips and shoulders and prevent the appearance of pressure points so I added less air than Kaye.
In terms of support, the IDLE Air mattress does a great good job of providing excellent support in all sleeping positions, with the top memory foam or latex comfort layer providing body hug and contour and the underlying air and foam layers providing excellent support for the body and preventing it from sinking too much into the mattress and feeling trapped in it.
Since Kaye and myself are primarily side sleepers, we like mattresses that provide enough give in the top comfort layer to support our shoulders and hips, while also having the firmness if we switch to our stomachs and backs and the IDLE Air mattress with its Air Support system, latex or memory foam layer on top, quilted pillow top and other foam layers did an excellent job here.
Having a mattress that is too soft causes the spine to be misaligned and results in pain, but the IDLE Air prevents this by giving you the possibility to add the air as much as you need for a comfortable and painless night’s sleep.
The IDLE Air really provides the degree of support a heavier sleeper like myself needs from the various foam layers and air chambers to the nice 14″ thick design.
The IDLE Air is an extremely comfortable mattress with all the adjustability and customization that it allows. Various foams and latex layer combined with the air chambers provide the perfect amount of body hug and contour without making you feel stuck in the mattress.
The soft pillow top and comfort layers will cradle your shoulders and hips and provide you with great pressure relief while the adjustable air chambers that you can inflate and deflate and adjust the firmness to your liking will prevent you from sinking too much into the mattress and feeling enveloped by it.
It will lift your body, evenly distribute your body weight across the bed and provide just the right amount of support and comfort to those areas of your body where it is needed most.
The IDLE Air mattress does a good job at providing a comfortable sleeping surface while there is also some bounce and responsiveness coming from its air layer and latex layer that is known for its buoyant, bouncy feel, so this mattress is also great for sex. When inflated more it provides good push-back and bounce needed for sex without making you feel trapped in foam.
The memory foam layers will provide you with good body hug and contour, while it also has some bounce and responsiveness coming from its latex layers and air chambers but it doesn’t feel like sleeping on an air mattress.
The air chambers basically take the place of the spring system, but unlike pocketed springs, they are adjustable in that you can inflate or deflate them and customize the firmness of your mattress to your liking.
The IDLE Air is one of the most unique mattresses we have tried our so far, in that it so adjustable. It provides an ideal balance of comfort and support and is perfect for all types of sleepers and all sleeping styles.
The cooling technologies in the mattress also do a great job at preventing heat buildup or that “sticky sweaty” feel that some all-foam mattresses cause you to feel which is a big plus if you sleep with a partner.
All the various cooling technology in the mattress makes the IDLE Air mattress sleep rather cool. The Thermocool infused top layer as well as the IDLE Cooling Buoyancy foam made without visco-elastic chemicals help this bed sleep much cooler than many models we have tested.
The Thermocool fabric with its smart fiber cross-sections is designed to work with the body’s natural thermal capabilities and help you feel warm when you are cold and cool when you feel hot.
Sleeping hot is a big pet peeve of ours, and is something that many all foam mattresses struggle with. The IDLE Air mattress, however, solves this issue by the use of all these special cooling technologies built into the mattress.
It didn’t cause us to wake up feeling hot and sticky during the night, which is a big issue for us as a couple living in Texas.
Sinkage & Motion Transfer
The IDLE does an excellent job with sinkage, especially compared to most other mattresses we have reviewed. Like we always preach, sinkage and motion transfer are largely weight dependent, and the fact that I weight around 230 lbs tends to have a rather large bearing on the degree of sinkage I experience when sitting and lying, which is not the case with Kaye who is half of my weight.
With the separate air chambers that allow you to inflate or deflate the support chambers to your liking, we could regulate sinkage and adjust the firmness according to our needs.
My side of the IDLE Air did a great job with minimizing the amount of sinkage I experienced both when sitting upright or laying and prevented me from sinking too much and bottoming our which is often the case with the thinner lower quality mattresses. It lifted my body weight with ease and distributed it evenly across the bed and Kaye’s side did the same for her.
Separate air chambers prevented Kaye from experiencing her common feel of sinking into a hole or rolling towards me due to the difference in our weights.
Edge support is also great with this mattress. Memory Weave wrapped Power Edge support of the IDLE Air offers comfort and support both when sitting on the side or lying on the mattress.
The edges also have a “no bow” design which does not allow oxidation of the foam which further increases the the durability and longevity of the mattress.
The IDLE Air also uses high density edge support foam encasement which prevents you from experiencing any “roll off bed” sensation and increases the sleeping surface.
As for motion transfer, there is a small amount of it coming from air layer and bouncy latex, but the special construction of this mattress and the separate air chambers that we used minimized the amount of motion transfer to a large degree.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The IDLE Air mattress gets high marks in this category for not having much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box. The unique construction of this mattress minimized the degree of off-gassing that all foam mattresses usually have.
IDLE Sleep has above average customer service offerings that most bed-in-a-box online mattress companies are offering these days, mainly with the lifetime warranty which only a few mattress companies provide these days. This includes the following:
- 120 night Trial period
- Lifetime Warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- You can save $275 or more by clicking here
- American made
The IDLE Air mattress is priced much higher than most other beds we have reviewed, coming in at $2584 for a Queen (Dual chamber) option, but this actually a good price given the quality materials and construction used in this mattress and compared to pricier beds like the Sleep Number.
|Queen (Single Chamber)||$2524|
|Queen (Dual Chamber)||$2584|
|Split Head Queen w/ Adjustable Base||$4582|
|King (Dual Chamber)||$2774|
|Split King (Two Twin XL's)||$3248|
|Split Head King & Adjustable Base||$4982|
Overall, the IDLE Air is a great mattress with a unique construction that comes with many benefits the primary one being changing the firmness of your bed with a remote without having to switch out layers or being stuck with how the mattress arrives at your door.
A special air chamber used in the place of pocketed coils that can be inflated with a wired remote gives you the ability to adjust the firmness whenever you like without having to change out the layers or add a mattress topper. You can also get a dual chamber system like we did so that each side of the mattress can have different firmness according to your needs and the needs of your partner.
This make the IDLE Air mattress a great option for couples, especially those with considerably different firmness preferences. It is capable of suiting individual firmness preferences and minimizes the amount of motion transfer too so you don’t have to worry about waking up your partner with frequent changing of positions or getting in and out of bed during the night.
It is also good for people that may need to change the firmness of their mattress frequently due to their specific health issues or other conditions.
In addition the mattress features a flippable Eurotop which gives you the possibility of choosing either latex or memory foam feel on top and is replaceable which means that you can replace the layer once it wears out too much.
The IDLE Air sleeps cool due to the use of various cooling technologies in its cover as well as in the foam layers and has excellent Memory Weave wrapped Power Edge support with a “no bow” design which prevents oxidation of foam and increases the longevity of the mattress.
All in all, the IDLE Air mattress is a great bed at a great price given the materials used in its construction and the level of comfort, support and customization that it offers.
Hopefully our review of the IDLE Air mattress helps you out with your next mattress purchase decision! If you have any questions, feel free to let us know.