Puffy vs. Nolah Original
If you wake up feeling tired or achy, or you tend to sleep better at hotels than at home, if your mattress looks saggy or lumpy or is at least five to seven years old then you should consider buying a new mattress.
In this Puffy vs Nolah Original comparison review, we’ll be comparing two highest-quality all foam mattresses available on today’s market that may help you solve your problem and sleep like a baby again.
The Puffy offers extraordinary back pain alleviation with its Adaptive Cloud technology and the feeling of sleeping on clouds, and the Nolah uses its own proprietary Nolah Air foam that provides excellent pressure point relief, retains less heat and is more durable than other types of foam.
Read on and find out which one of these mattresses may be the right match for your needs. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Puffy is a 10″ mattress made of 3 layers of proprietary designed memory foam:
- 2″ Top Cooling layer – The top layer is made of 2″ of patent pending Cooling Cloud gel-infused memory foam designed to disperse heat away from your body by using convection and conduction and allow more effective airflow through the mattress for better cooling and comfort.
- 2″ Climate-Adaptive Regulation foam layer – This layer is made of 2″ of special Climate-Adaptive Regulation foam that provides extraordinary pressure relief on all temperature and humidity levels which makes it resistant to contractions and expansions that often occur from extreme temperatures.
- 6″ Bottom layer – This foundation layer is made of 6″ of dense support foam, that is designed to be responsive and the company claims 4x the support of traditional support foam layers.
The new, upgraded Puffy comes with an all-new Stain Resistant cover that allows you to easily wipe up all the spills. It is extremely soft and works together with the foam layers to provide a cool surface and comfort as well as wick way heat and moisture.
Besides this, their Zip-N-Wash cover allows for seasonal deep cleaning to remove dirt and germs that build up from regular use.
Firmness and Support
The Puffy is a universal comfort type memory foam mattress, designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers. We felt it was a medium soft mattress, coming in around a 5/6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being firmest).
As always, firmness is largerly weight dependent, and Andrew compressed the top comfort layer of the Puffy mattress more than I did as he weights considerably more than I (230lbs vs. 115), and while the Puffy was more on the softer side for Andrew as its top comfort layer compressed quite a bit under his weight, for me it was of the perfect firmness.
Andrew’s weight was fairly distributed when lying on the mattress and it didn’t cause him to bottom out which is often the case with the lower quality 10″ all foam mattresses.
As I have already mentioned when lying his weight was fairly distributed across the bed, and the Puffy worked well for us as side sleepers by supporting our hips and shoulders without causing numbness or stiffness which is often the case with firmer mattresses.
The new, upgraded Puffy is a rather comfortable mattress. Its top comfort layer of foam provides a bit of responsiveness and bounce without causing too much sinkage typical for most memory foam mattresses.
In addition, the mattress has a very soft and comfortable exterior that works together with the top comfort layer and the special new Climate-Adaptive Regulation layer to provide a pressure relieving and comfortable sleeping surface.
The softness of the cover combined with the initial soft response from the memory foam layers does a great job at providing a comfortable night’s sleep.
The Puffy mattress sleeps quite cool due to its thin cover and the presence of the gel-infused foam layer designed to provide air flow and breathability.
In addition, the Climate-Adaptive Regulation foam layer made of temperature and humidity-resistant materials is designed to combat climate fluctuations and prevent any sleep disruptions related to that.
It doesn’t retains heat and it does not cause sweating and the feeling of stickiness usually present with memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
As for sinkage, there was a minimal amount of it, but it was nothing too extreme. It is true that Andrew quickly compressed its soft top comfort layer, but the slightly firmer Climate-Adaptive layer and the firm base layer below prevented him from sinking even further into the mattress and bottoming out, especially when sitting or lying near the edge.
The mattress also did not cause me to roll towards Andrew or make me feel as if I was sinking into a hole.
There was some motion transfer with the Puffy when Andrew adjusted positions during the night which, again, is to be expected due to our weight disparity, but there was not too much of it given its all foam construction designed to isolate and minimize motion transfer.
Smell / Off-Gassing
There was a small degree of off-gassing/smell, but it was nothing overpowering when compared to some other mattresses we have reviewed, so the Puffy mattress gets high marks in this category.
- Shipping – free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days
- Lifetime Warranty
- 101 Night Sleep Trial Period
- Made in the USA
The Puffy mattress comes in $850 for a queen, which is a very reasonable price given its overall comfort and quality materials used in its construction.
The Nolah Original mattress is unique in that it delivers the benefits of memory foam without the use of the memory foam. Nolah created their own proprietary foam, Nolah Air Foam, which sleeps cooler than memory foam and is more durable than latex.
Construction and Materials
10″ thick and made up of 3 layers of proprietary foam:
- 2″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 2″ of proprietary cooling Nolah Air Foam designed to provide superior pressure relief and comfort and ensure cooling during sleep. It will contour perfectly to your body without making you feel trapped in foam.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of deep supportive high-resilience foam that is stronger and more durable than latex. It provides a healthy and responsive bounce and aids in transitioning motion between the upper and lower layers.
- 7″ Support Layer – This layer is 7″ of high-density breathable base foam that provides durability and stability to the mattress, excellent support as well as deep compression support for the body.
The cover of this mattress is a new snow-white Botanic Origin Tencel cover. It is a sustainable cellulosic cover of botanic origin that has a nice soft textured pattern and feel to it.
Firmness and Support
Just like the Puffy mattress, the Nolah Original is a universal comfort model and it only comes in one firmness option, which we rate at a 6-7 out of 10 (10 being the firmest). It initially may feel a little bit firm, but after a week or two, it totally adapts to your body.
This model is ideal for all sleeping positions as it offers enough give in the top comfort layer to support your shoulders and hips and has necessary firmness if you switch to your back or stomach.
Although the Nolah Original mattress initially feels rather firm and not as cushioned, as the time passes your body adapts to it and molds to memory foam.
The Air Foam and other foams in its construction work well together to provide the classic memory foam feeling of body hug and contour without causing you to feel trapped in a mattress.
The layer of high-resilience foam does a good job at supporting your body and providing good responsiveness when changing positions during the night without causing excessive motion transfer.
The Nolah Original does a good job at creating a cool sleeping surface due to the use of the proprietary Nolah Air Foam. Just like the Puffy, It retains a minimal amount of heat which is typical for most all foam mattresses, but it’s nothing too serious to cause sticky, sweaty feeling and deprive you of sleep.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
With the Nolah Original mattress sinkage and motion transfer are reduced to the minimum. Andrew who is 230 lbs compressed the mattress to a certain degree, but he did not sink all the way down through it and come to rest on its foundation which is often the case with other all foam mattresses.
Edge support is also good with this mattress as edges don’t compress when sitting or lying near them, and they don’t cause the feeling of rolling off the bed.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Nolah Original had an average amount of off-gassing when taken out of the box and packaging. This is to be expected due to its all foam nature and the fact that it is delivered wrapped in a plastic package within a box, but any smell that was present dissipated within a few hours.
- 120 Night Sleep Trial Period
- Lifetime Warranty
- Made in America
- Free Shipping
This model is reasonably priced coming in at $799 for a Queen, which is a good price given the quality materials used in its construction.
You can save $125 on this price by applying our Memory Foam Talk coupon: MFTALK.
Puffy vs. Nolah Original Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Puffy vs. Nolah Original mattress.
|Layers||3″ of patent-pending Cooling Cloud gel-infused memory foam, 7″ of dense support foam||2″ of proprietary cooling Nolah Air Foam, 1″ of deep supportive high-resilience foam, 7″ of high-density breathable base foam|
|Cover||Extremely soft, heat and moisture wicking cover||A new snow-white Botanic Origin Tencel cover|
|Firmness||5-6 out of 10||6-7 out of 10|
|Support||Very good||Very good|
|Motion Transfer||Minimal||Very minimal|
|Warranty||Lifetime Warranty||15 years|
|Trial Period||101 days||120 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Puffy mattress if you like:
- Softer mattresses – The Puffy mattress scores 5-6 on a firmness scale (10 being the firmest) which places it more on a softer side. It may work perfectly for you if you are a sleeper of a lighter weight. It will provide you with pressure point relief and a good balance of support and comfort necessary for all sleeping positions.
- Memory foam feel – The Puffy is an all foam mattress that will provide you with deep compression support, contouring and the hugging feeling typical for memory foam mattresses, but it will not cause you to sink too much and feel trapped in foam.
- Cool-sleeping mattresses – A thin and breathable cover of this mattress and the presence of the gel-infused foam layer make it sleep quite cool. It retains a minimal amount of heat and does not cause sweating and the feeling of stickiness typical for memory foam mattresses.
Choose Nolah Original mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel – As it has been already mentioned, this mattress offers a classic memory foam feel without the actual use of memory foam. The company created their own Nolah Air Foam which sleeps cooler than memory foam and is more durable than latex. It perfectly molds to your body and provides a hug typical for memory foam mattresses without causing you to feel trapped.
- Supportive mattress – The Nolah Original mattress does an excellent job at supporting your body in all sleeping positions. It will not compress too much under your weight, and it will not cause you to sink down to the foundation.
- Sharing your bed – With this mattress, there is almost no motion transfer which means that it is perfect for couples. So, if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner, the Nolah Original mattress may be the right pick for you. It will allow you to move freely around your bed and get in and out of it during the night without disturbing the sleep of your beloved one.