Puffy vs. Nectar
When it comes to buying mattresses, there are literally thousands of options to choose from. Such an endless selection makes finding a mattress that will suit all your needs and sleep preferences very difficult.
One of the most important things to pay attention to when choosing a mattress is its comfort. A comfort of a mattress mostly relates to how soft or firm a mattress feels, and so mattresses can range from very soft to very firm.
In today’s Puffy vs Nectar review, we’ll be comparing two mattresses that offer a luxurious, cloud like feel promising optimal comfort and support. These are the Puffy and the Nectar mattresses. Both are relatively new on the market, and both offer a luxurious, cloud like feel and an optimal level of comfort and support necessary for a quality night’s sleep.
If this sounds like what you look for in a mattress, maybe one of them will be a perfect match for your needs. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Puffy is a 10″ mattress made of 3 layers of proprietary designed memory foam:
- 2″ Top Cooling layer – The top layer is made of 2″ of patent pending Cooling Cloud gel infused memory foam designed to provide cooling cooling and comfort.
- 2″ Support Layer – This layer is made of 2″ of special ClimateComfort Foam designed to keep your spine properly aligned while providing extraordinary pressure relief on all temperature and humidity levels which makes it resistant to contractions and expansions that often occur from extreme temperatures.
- 6″ Bottom layer – This foundation layer is made of 6″ of dense support foam, that is designed to be responsive and the company claims 4x the support of traditional support foam layers.
The Puffy mattress incorporates a patent-pending Cooling Cloud gel infused memory foam in its top cooling layer that helps keep the mattress cool and comfortable. It also has a deep comfort core support layer that provides the underlying support for sleepers.
The Puffy has an extremely soft cover that wicks away moisture and heat and creates a cool and comfortable sleeping surface.
Firmness and Support
The Puffy is a universal comfort type memory foam mattress, designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers. We felt it was a medium soft mattress, coming in around a 5/6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being firmest).
As always, firmness is largerly weight dependent, and Andrew compressed the top comfort layer of the Puffy mattress more than I did as he weights considerably more than I (230lbs vs. 115), and while the Puffy was more on the softer side for Andrew as its top comfort layer compressed quite a bit under his weight, for me it was not so soft.
Andrew’s weight was fairly distributed when lying on the mattress, but when he sat up on the bed, he felt the harder support layer as he basically bottomed out.
As I have already mentioned when lying his weight was fairly distributed across the bed, and the Puffy worked well for us as side sleepers by supporting our hips and shoulders without causing numbness or stiffness which is often the case with firmer mattresses.
The Puffy is a rather comfortable mattress. Its top comfort layer of foam provides a bit of responsiveness and bounce without causing too much sinkage typical for most memory foam mattresses, though heavier sleepers like Andrew may push down into the mattress more than those with lighter weight.
In addition, the mattress has a very soft and comfortable exterior that works together with the top comfort layer to provide a comfortable sleeping surface. The softness of the cover combined with the initial soft response from the memory foam layers does a great job at providing a comfortable night’s sleep.
The Puffy mattress sleeps quite cool due to its thin cover and the presence of the gel-infused foam layer designed to provide air flow and breathability.
It retains a minimal amount of heat, which is to be expected given its all foam construction, but it is nothing too serious, and it does not cause sweating and the feeling of stickiness usually present with memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
As for sinkage, there was a bit of it with this mattress, but it was nothing too extreme. It is true that Andrew quickly compressed its top comfort layer and came to rest on the firmer support layer beneath, especially when sitting near the edge, but I experienced a minimal amount of it, and it did not cause me to roll towards Andrew or feel as if I was sinking into a hole.
There was some motion transfer with the Puffy when Andrew adjusted positions during the night which, again, is to be expected due to our weight disparity, but there was not too much of it given its all foam construction designed to isolate and minimize motion transfer.
Smell / Off-Gassing
There was a small degree of off-gassing/smell, but it was nothing overpowering when compared to some other mattresses we have reviewed, so the Puffy mattress gets high marks in this category.
- Shipping – free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days
- Lifetime Warranty
- 101 Night Sleep Trial Period
- Made in the USA
The Puffy mattress comes in $950 for a queen, which is a very reasonable price given its overall comfort and quality materials used in its construction.
Construction and Materials
The Nectar is an 11″ all foam mattress made up of 4 layers of various foams.
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of quilted foam sewn into the cover and designed to improve airflow, relieve pressure points, provide pain relief, softness, and a luxurious feel to the top.
- 1″ Support Layer – This layer is 1″ of 4lb patented Lush Foam semi-open fast-recovery gel memory foam, which provides primary support and aids in cooling and comfort.
- 3″ Transition Layer – This layer is 3″ of 3lb medical grade cooling gel embedded foam that aids in cooling and serves as a transitional support layer between the upper and lower layers.
- 6″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 6″ of high-density foam that provides deep compression support and serves as the foundation.
The cover of the Nectar mattress is made up of soft, long staple cotton that includes Tencel – a fabric more absorbent than cotton, softer than silk, and cooler than linen. It adds to the soft and luxurious feel of this bed, allows the circulation of air through the upper layer to improve airflow and circulation, and is naturally resistant to bed bugs.
Nectar Sleep is unique in that it offers its customers the option to replace the cover at no charge. Therefore, if the existing cover wears out, you don’t have to spend your money on buying a new mattress when you can simply replace the cover.
Firmness and Support
The Nectar mattress, like the Puffy, only comes in one firmness option which is medium firm and scores 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
Its top comfort layer provides a soft, luxurious feel, while the underlying support layers made of dense foam provide firmer support below and do not allow heavier sleepers like Andrew who is 230lbs to press through the top comfort layers and come to rest on the base support layers.
The Nectar provides good support for all sleeping positions. It provides the necessary support for back and stomach sleeping and it provides enough give in the top comfort layer to perfectly hug and mold to hips and shoulders when sleeping on your side.
Just like the Puffy, the Nectar is a very comfortable mattress. The top layer with its Tencel cover provides a soft and supple sleeping environment, while the layers below consisting of gel foam and adaptive foam support and contour the body during sleep.
These underlying layers also provide the needed response when switching positions during the night and a nice degree of push-back and bounce ideal for late night amorous activities of couples.
The Nectar mattress, like the Puffy, does a good job at reducing heat, sleeping cool, and eliminating sweating and the feeling of stickiness present with many other memory foam mattresses. This is due to its multiple gel-infused foam layers and the quilted foam within the cover that allows easier circulation of air.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Nectar does a pretty good job in this category. It does not cause too much sinkage when lying or sitting on the mattress due to the high-quality dense foam layers used in its construction.
Edge support with this mattress is also good, and it prevents you from rolling off of the bed when sitting or sleeping near the edge.
Motion transfer with the Nectar mattress is almost non-existent due to its all-foam construction known for its capability of reducing the motion transfer when adjusting positions or getting in and out of bed during the night.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Nectar gets high marks in this category too for not having any noticeable smell upon opening the box. There is not much off-gassing and odor with this mattress as it is the case with many other memory foam mattresses, and any smell present dissipates within 24 hours.
- 365 night Trial period
- “Forever Warranty” for the life of the mattress
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
Nectar is reasonably priced, coming in at $725 for a Queen (after applying the MFT125 coupon). This is a great price for a mattress of such a high quality.
Puffy vs. Nectar Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Puffy vs. Nectar mattress.
|Layers||3″ of patent-pending Cooling Cloud gel-infused memory foam, 7″ of dense support foam||1″ of quilted foam, 1″ of 4lb patented Lush Foam, 3″ of 3lb medical grade cooling gel embedded foam, 6″ of high-density foam|
|Cover||Extremely soft, heat and moisture wicking cover||Soft, long staple cotton including Tencel|
|Firmness||5-6 out of 10||6 out of 10|
|Support||Very good||Very good|
|Motion Transfer||Minimal||Very minimal|
|Warranty||Lifetime warranty||Lifetime warranty|
|Trial Period||101 days||365 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||100% money back guarantee for Refunds & Returns|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Puffy mattress if you like:
- Softer mattresses – The Puffy mattress scores 5-6 on a firmness scale (10 being the firmest) which places it more on a softer side. It may work perfectly for you if you are a sleeper of a lighter weight. It will provide you with pressure point relief and a good balance of support and comfort necessary for all sleeping positions.
- Memory foam feel – The Puffy is an all foam mattress that will provide you with deep compression support, contouring and the hugging feeling typical for memory foam mattresses, but it will not cause you to sink too much and feel trapped in foam.
- Cool-sleeping mattresses – A thin and breathable cover of this mattress and the presence of the gel-infused foam layer make it sleep quite cool. It retains a minimal amount of heat and does not cause sweating and the feeling of stickiness typical for memory foam mattresses.
Choose Nectar mattress if you like:
- A medium feel –The Nectar comes in only one firmness option, which is a medium firm scoring 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest, and it is suitable for sleepers of different firmness preferences and different weights.
- A full memory foam mattress – The Nectar is a full memory foam mattress composed of the highest-quality memory foam layers. It offers the sleepers many benefits of traditional memory foam such as deep compression, pressure relief, more hug and contour, minimal motion transfer, etc. while at the same time provides enough support and eliminates the feeling of being trapped in foam that many classic memory foam mattresses cause.
- A very supportive mattress – As it has been already mentioned, this mattress offers enough support for all sleeping positions which makes it ideal for sleepers of different weights.
- Responsiveness and bounce – The underlying gel foam and adaptive foam layers of the Nectar mattress provide the needed response when switching positions during the night and a nice degree of push-back and bounce ideal for late night amorous activities of couples.