Puffy vs. Loom and Leaf
Are you looking for a new all foam mattress? Have you considered purchasing the Puffy universal comfort mattress or one of the Loom and Leaf models? In this Puffy vs Loom and Leaf comparison, we take a look at two popular online mattress brands.
Both are luxury all foam options, and both incorporate unique technologies aimed at improving the overall comfort and sleep experience which make them unlike any other all foam mattresses currently present on the market.
In this comparison, we’ll present you with the basic characteristics and benefits of these two mattresses and personal experiences and opinions about them and help you figure out a better pick for your sleeping needs and preferences.
Construction and Materials
The Puffy is a 10″ mattress made of 2 layers of proprietary designed memory foam:
- 3″ Top Cooling layer – The top layer is made of 3″ of patent-pending Cooling Cloud gel-infused memory foam designed to provide cooling and comfort.
- 7″ Bottom layer – This foundation layer is made of 7″ of dense support foam designed to be responsive.
The Puffy mattress incorporates a patent-pending DeepSleep technology in its top cooling layer that helps keep the mattress cool and comfortable. It also has a deep comfort core support layer that provides the underlying support for sleepers.
The Puffy has an extremely soft cover that wicks away moisture and heat and creates a cool and comfortable sleeping surface.
Firmness and Support
The Puffy is a universal comfort type memory foam mattress, designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers. We felt it was a medium soft mattress, coming in around a 5/6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being firmest).
As always, firmness is largerly weight dependent, and Andrew compressed the top comfort layer of the Puffy mattress more than I did as he weights considerably more than I (230lbs vs. 115), and while the Puffy was more on the softer side for Andrew as its top comfort layer compressed quite a bit under his weight, for me it was not so soft.
Andrew’s weight was fairly distributed when lying on the mattress, but when he sat up on the bed, he felt the harder support layer as he basically bottomed out.
As I have already mentioned when lying his weight was fairly distributed across the bed, and the Puffy worked well for us as side sleepers by supporting our hips and shoulders without causing numbness or stiffness which is often the case with firmer mattresses.
The Puffy is a rather comfortable mattress. Its top comfort layer of foam provides a bit of responsiveness and bounce without causing too much sinkage typical for most memory foam mattresses, though heavier sleepers like Andrew may push down into the mattress more than those with lighter weight.
In addition, the mattress has a very soft and comfortable exterior that works together with the top comfort layer to provide a comfortable sleeping surface. The softness of the cover combined with the initial soft response from the memory foam layers does a great job at providing a comfortable night’s sleep.
The Puffy mattress sleeps quite cool due to its thin cover and the presence of the gel-infused foam layer designed to provide air flow and breathability.
It retains a minimal amount of heat, which is to be expected given its all foam construction, but it is nothing too serious, and it does not cause sweating and the feeling of stickiness usually present with memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
As for sinkage, there was a bit of it with this mattress, but it was nothing too extreme. It is true that Andrew quickly compressed its top comfort layer and came to rest on the firmer support layer beneath, especially when sitting near the edge, but I experienced a minimal amount of it, and it did not cause me to roll towards Andrew or feel as if I was sinking into a hole.
There was some motion transfer with the Puffy when Andrew adjusted positions during the night which, again, is to be expected due to our weight disparity, but there was not too much of it given its all foam construction designed to isolate and minimize motion transfer.
Smell / Off-Gassing
There was a small degree of off-gassing/smell, but it was nothing overpowering when compared to some other mattresses we have reviewed, so the Puffy mattress gets high marks in this category.
- Shipping – free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days
- Lifetime Warranty
- 101 Night Sleep Trial Period
- Made in the USA
The Puffy mattress comes in $950 for a queen, which is a very reasonable price given its overall comfort and quality materials used in its construction.
Loom and Leaf
Construction and Materials
The Loom and Leaf is over 12″ thick and made up of 4 layers of memory foam:
- 2″ Top Cooling and Comfort Layer – This layer is a 2″ 4lb gel memory foam using a patented gel-on-gel swirl design and convoluted foam laminated to medical grade cooling gel which provides a cool, supportive sleep environment and promotes airflow furthering cooling.
- 2.5″ Mattress Core Layer – This layer is made of 2.5″ of 5lb visco-elastic memory foam for deep contouring support
- 2″ Transition Layer – This layer is a 2″ transition loft pad, which serves as a transfer layer between the base support layer and those layers above and provides better support and comfort overall.
- 5.5″ Bottom Foundation Layer – Thus layer is a 5.5″ high-density foam core base which acts as the foundation and support for the rest of the mattress.
The cover of the Loom and Leaf is vastly different from the normal thin covers of the most other memory foam mattresses. It is made from 100% organic cotton with a circular knit top, quilted with a 5/8” foam layer that provides a luxurious feel and acts as a natural flame retardant.
Firmness and Support
Unlike the Puffy mattress that comes in only one universal firmness option, the Loom and Leaf offers two firmness options: the Loom and Leaf Relaxed Firm, scoring 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest, and the Loom and Leaf Firm, which is an 8 out of 10. This makes the Loom and Leaf suitable for people with different firmness preferences and different body weights like Andrew and myself.
The thick construction and high-density foam of this mattress perfectly supported Andrew’s weight (230lbs) and our hips and shoulders and provided us with the necessary comfort and feeling of massage during the night.
The 12″ thickness of the Loom and Leaf, its tufted quilted cotton cover that includes a 5/8″ foam layer, the 6.5″ of specialty foams, and the exclusive gel cooling layer included in its construction make this mattress a very comfortable one.
When you first lay down on the Loom and Leaf you will feel an immediate softness due to the quilted cover with the foam layer, and the support layers will begin to sense your pressure and react accordingly providing you with a very balanced feel.
The Loom and Leaf will hug your body and provide it with a nice degree of contouring without causing the feeling of being trapped in the memory foam typical for most memory foam mattresses.
Most memory foam mattresses lead to the retention of heat and cause a sweaty sticky feeling, but this is not the case with the Loom and Leaf. This mattress, just like the Puffy, sleeps cool and eliminates any feeling of discomfort caused by a build-up of heat.
The exclusive cooling gel in the top layer of the Loom and Leaf, which is usually found in hospital burn units, allows maximum cooling and airflow and helps you stay cool and comfortable during the night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Sinkage and motion transfer on the Loom and Leaf depend on the model that you select (Relaxed Firm vs. Firm), as well as how much you weigh. The Relaxed Firm that we tested caused more sinkage when compared to the Firm model. But both models, thanks to their thick construction, did not cause us to sink down to the foundation of our bed like most of the other mattresses did.
Both Loom and Leaf models also do a good job of supporting heavier sleepers like my partner when sleeping or sitting near the edge, and they cause very minimal motion transfer with the high-quality dense foam construction doing a great job of insulating movement when turning or adjusting the positions during sleep.
Smell / Off-Gassing
As for smell/off-gassing, it is non-existent with the Loom and Leaf mattresses. They are shipped uncompressed in their natural form, which is not the case with other online mattress retailers and their memory foam mattresses that come compressed in plastic packages, so there is no any smell / off-gassing coming from the Loom and Leaf mattresses.
Customer service is something that Loom and Leaf prides itself on, and it gets high marks in this category. Upon putting your zip code on the site and determining whether the delivery is possible for your area, the mattresses are delivered directly to you by truck and professionally installed.
Other customer attributes include:
- 120-night sleep trial
- 15-year warranty
- Direct in-home delivery and setup with mattress removal
- Made in the USA
- Factory-direct pricing at Loomandleaf.com
The price of the Loom and Leaf mattresses comes in at $1299 for a queen. This is quite surprising given the exceptional quality materials used in their construction and the direct-to-home shipping and installation.
Puffy vs. Loom and Leaf Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Puffy vs. Loom and Leaf mattress.
|Puffy||Loom and Leaf|
|Layers||3″ of patent-pending Cooling Cloud gel-infused memory foam, 7″ of dense support foam||2″ 4lb gel memory foam, 2.5″ of 5lb visco-elastic memory foam, 2″ transition loft pad, 5.5″ high-density foam core base|
|Cover||Extremely soft, heat and moisture wicking cover||Made from 100% organic cotton with a circular knit top, quilted with a 5/8” foam layer|
|Firmness||5-6 out of 10||Relaxed Firm: 6 out of 10
Firm: 8 out of 10
|Motion Transfer||Very good||Very minimal|
|Warranty||Lifetime Warranty||15 years|
|Trial Period||101 days||120 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days||$85-$99, full service in-home delivery|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Puffy mattress if you like:
- Softer mattresses – The Puffy mattress scores 5-6 on a firmness scale (10 being the firmest) which places it more on a softer side. It may work perfectly for you if you are a sleeper of a lighter weight. It will provide you with pressure point relief and a good balance of support and comfort necessary for all sleeping positions.
- Memory foam feel – The Puffy is an all foam mattress that will provide you with deep compression support, contouring and the hugging feeling typical for memory foam mattresses, but it will not cause you to sink too much and feel trapped in foam.
- Cool-sleeping mattresses – A thin and breathable cover of this mattress and the presence of the gel-infused foam layer make it sleep quite cool. It retains a minimal amount of heat and does not cause sweating and the feeling of stickiness typical for memory foam mattresses.
Choose Loom and Leaf mattress if you like:
- A medium or hard firmness – The Loom & Leaf is available in two firmness options: a medium and firm. The medium is a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale and the hard is an 8 out of 10. This makes the Loom and Leaf mattresses suitable for people with different firmness preferences and different body weights.
- A balanced feel – The padded cover, thick comfort layer, and high-quality materials of this mattress create a balanced feel that will be enjoyable by most sleepers.
- A mattress that uses natural materials – The Loom and Leaf is known for using plant-based foams, organic cotton cover, and natural fire-retardant thistle.
- A thick and supportive mattress – The thick construction and high-density foam of this mattress makes it suitable for sleepers of different weights as it provides a necessary comfort and perfect support even to heavier sleepers.
- Full service in-home delivery – The Loom and Leaf may be an ideal choice for you if you don’t like unboxing the mattress and setting it up yourself as the Loom and Leaf provides full service in-home delivery. The mattress will be delivered directly to you by truck and professionally installed.