Novosbed vs. Tempur Pedic
Today’s Novosbed vs Tempur Pedic review focuses on two high-quality memory foam mattresses coming from two well-known mattress companies. While Tempur Pedic is a memory foam mattress industry’s heavyweight, Novosbed is a newer company, but they have also built a very strong reputation among their customers due to the quality of their sleep products and extraordinary customer service.
Whose mattress can better meet your specific needs and preferences? Read our review, and you’ll find out. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Novosbed mattress is an 11″ mattress made up of 3 layers of foam.
- 2″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 2″ of ultra-dense memory foam, designed to provide comfort and ensure cooling during sleep. It also is designed to provide support and relieve pressure points. The aerated foam allows free circulation of air through the mattress and keeps it cool.
- 2″ Support Layer – This layer is 2″ of additional ultra-dense memory foam, designed to provide support and responsiveness and regulate transitioning motion between the upper and lower layers.
- 7″ Support Layer – This layer is 7″ of base foam that provides support for the mattress as well as deep compression support for the body.
When adding the Comfort + top cover to it, the mattress gains another approximately 2″ of height.
The cover of the Novosbed mattress is made of polyester, silica, modacrylic, and Tencel, and it has a very nice soft textured pattern and feel to it. The zippered top of this cover allows adding the Comfort + top kit, and it is easy to be removed for cleaning purposes.
Firmness and Support
The Novosbed is offered in 3 firmness options. The one we reviewed is Medium firm, and it scores 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
It felt a little firm to Andrew who is significantly heavier than me, and who often tends to compress through the top comfort layers and feel more of the support layers beneath. However, after we zipped a complimentary Comfort + top kit to the mattress, which not only increased its height but its overall comfort as well, it wasn’t so firm anymore.
After sleeping on it for about 2 weeks, the mattress softened even more and completely adapted to our bodies becoming much more comfortable and supportive for Andrew’s 230lb weight and large 6’+ frame.
For me, the Novosbed was of perfect firmness. It provided the hug and contour of classic memory foam that I like so much without causing me to feel enveloped by a mattress.
In terms of support, we feel the Novosbed mattress does a really good job of providing excellent support in all sleeping positions. It provides enough give in the top comfort layers to support your hips and shoulders and enough firmness necessary if you switch to your back or stomach.
As I have already mentioned, the Novosbed may initially feel a rather firm and not as cushioned due to the slower-response memory foam in its construction. But, with time, it will become much more comfortable, and it will perfectly adapt and mold to your body without causing the feeling of being trapped in foam.
It is a comfortable mattress and supportive enough to support and distribute our weights evenly across the bed. It is especially good for heavier sleepers like my boyfriend, and it provides a nice degree of responsiveness needed when changing positions during the night without causing too much motion transfer.
Although you may feel a slight heat retention from the mattress, which is common for most all foam mattresses, the Novosbed does a really good job at keeping you cool throughout the night due to its dense foam layers. It may be an all foam mattress, but it will not cause the sticky, sweaty feeling typical for most memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
When compared to other mattresses we have reviewed, this mattress does an excellent job of minimizing sinkage and motion transfer, although this is largely weight dependent.
Andrew sunk more than I did when sitting and lying on a mattress, but he did not reach the foundation.
The classic slow-response memory foam within this mattress isolates motion transfer and reduces it to the minimum thus allowing a sound and undisturbed sleep.
Edge support is also very good with this mattress, and better than in most other memory foam mattresses we have tested to date.
Smell / Off-Gassing
There was a minimal amount of off-gassing coming from the Novosbed mattress when we opened the package, which is to be expected given its all foam construction. But, it was nothing overpowering, and it dissipated during the night.
- 120 Night Sleep Trial
- 15 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- Free Shipping
The Novosbed mattress is reasonably priced coming in at $1099 for a Queen. You can save additional $100 by applying our MFT100 coupon.
Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze
Construction and Materials
Tempur-Pedic, unlike other mattress companies, don’t share a lot of information about their technology. They consider it proprietary information, so there are not many details about the materials they use for the construction of their mattresses, density of the layers, etc.
Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze is an all-foam mattress by design and it is based on the following layers:
- A Top Layer, the TEMPUR-ES Breeze layer: This is their new comfort layer, designed to wick heat away from the body and provide cooling.
- A Second Layer, the TEMPUR-Climate layer: This is their support layer, which also works with the Breeze layers to dissipate heat, and provide overall sleep support.
- The Foundation Layer: This layer serves as the core foundation and provides overall support and base for the mattress. It is a 7lb memory foam base, and it is the heaviest and thickest in the industry.
The cover of this mattress is made of a thin cotton which makes you feel the memory foam instantly, and this is something that all Tempur Pedic’s share.
Firmness & Support
The Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze is quite soft when compared to Novosbed and other models. The Breeze layer and Climate layer of this mattress place it around a 4-5 on a 10-point scale (10 being the firmest). So, when you lay on the mattress, you sink into it quite a bit, especially if you are a heavier sleeper like Andrew (230lbs).
The Tempur Pedic differs from many other memory foam mattresses in that it may initially seem to sleep hot or be too hard. However, the company recommends a 2-3 week “break-in” period for your body to acclimate to the mattress, and as the time passes your body totally adapts to it.
As it has been already mentioned, the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze is a very soft model and it gives you the feeling of sleeping on a could. Though it is comfortable and cushions your body, it doesn’t feel super luxurious. It doesn’t have any special materials and technology included in its construction except its high-quality, heavy foam for which it is known and which conforms and adapts to your body rather well.
Tempur Pedics used to be known for sleeping hot. The early models would be hot in the summer, and hard and cold in the winter. The ones we have used and slept on were no different.
The company has introduced the Tempur Pedic Breeze technology to address this. This model has several more layers of memory foam which are designed to wick away heat, but we feel it isn’t as effective in heat regulation as some other mattresses incorporating copper and gel cooling technology in their construction.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Tempur Pedics are known for having a very minimal motion transfer, due to the use of a high-quality dense foam in their construction.
However, there is a large degree of sinkage with the Cloud Luxe Breeze as it is Tempur Pedic’s softest model, and when Andrew sat down on it, it compressed quite a bit but, like the Novosbed, did not cause him to sink down to the foundation.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Although there was a significant chemical smell with the earlier Tempur Pedics, they seemed to have addressed this with the current models, and with their delivery of uncompressed mattresses. So, no noticeable smell comes from the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
Tempur Pedic used to sell their mattresses through major mattress retailers exclusively which helped them avoid dealing directly with the customers. Lately, however, they began selling their mattresses online as well.
Tempur Pedic customer service includes:
- 90 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- In-home delivery guaranteed by Tempur Pedic.
Although Tempur Pedics are generally expensive (a queen Cloud Luxe Breeze costs around $4800), the company offers discounts which can help you save up to 40% on certain sizes of the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
Novosbed vs. Tempur Pedic Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Novosbed vs. Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze mattress.
|Novosbed||Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze|
|Layers||2″ of ultra dense memory foam, 2″ of additional ultra dense memory foam, 7″ of base foam||The TEMPUR-ES Breeze layer, the TEMPUR-Climate layer, the Foundation Layer|
|Cover||Made of polyester, silica, modacrylic, and Tencel with a soft textured pattern and a zippered top||Thin, removable cotton cover|
|Firmness||7 out of 10||4-5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Very minimal|
|Warranty||15 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||120 days||90 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||In-home delivery|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Novosbed mattress if you like:
- Classic memory foam feel – The highest quality memory foam within the Novosbed mattress does a pretty good job of providing deep compression support, pressure relief and contouring to your body. It provides a hug typical for memory foam without causing you to feel enveloped by a mattress.
- A mattress with different firmness options – The Novosbed mattress comes in three firmness options and a complimentary Comfort + top cover which adds to the overall comfort of this mattress. This additional layer allows you adjust the firmness level of your mattress according to your needs.
- Sharing your bed – Being an all foam mattress, the Novosbed does an excellent job of reducing excessive motion transfer. It also doesn’t cause a large degree of sinkage which makes it a perfect option for couples. So if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner, the Novosbed may be the right pick for you as it will not cause you and your partner to roll into each other and feel as if you are sinking into a hole. It will allow you to change your sleep position or get in and out of bed during the night freely without disturbing the sleep of your beloved one.
Choose Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze if you like:
- The feel of the memory foam – If you like the soft feel of full memory foam mattresses, then the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze may be the right choice for you. It is an all foam mattress, made of the high-quality dense foam layers that provide necessary comfort and hug typical for memory foam.
- Soft mattresses – Cloud Luxe Breeze a very soft all foam mattress. Its top comfort layers provide enough cushioning and they perfectly mold to your body.
- Sharing your bed – Memory foam is known for causing minimal or no motion transfer at all, and the Cloud Luxe Breeze does a good job at isolating excessive motion transfer as well due to its dense memory foam layers. Therefore, if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner, this mattress may be ideal for you. You can change your position or get in and out of bed during the night freely without disturbing your beloved one.