Novosbed vs. Loom and Leaf
If you are currently looking to buy the best mattress for your needs, but you are not sure which one to choose, our review might help you bring your decision easier.
This comparison focuses on two high quality memory foam mattresses, Novosbed vs Loom and Leaf, coming from two heavyweights of memory foam mattress industry.
Both are luxury all foam mattresses offering multiple firmness options designed to suit a wide range of sleepers with different needs, and both have extraordinary customer service, but which one would be an ideal match for your specific needs and preferences? Read our review and find out. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Novosbed mattress is an 11″ mattress made up of 3 layers of foam.
- 2″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 2″ of ultra-dense memory foam, designed to provide comfort and ensure cooling during sleep. It also is designed to provide support and relieve pressure points. The aerated foam allows free circulation of air through the mattress and keeps it cool.
- 2″ Support Layer – This layer is 2″ of additional ultra-dense memory foam, designed to provide support and responsiveness and regulate transitioning motion between the upper and lower layers.
- 7″ Support Layer – This layer is 7″ of base foam that provides support for the mattress as well as deep compression support for the body.
When adding the Comfort + top cover to it, the mattress gains another approximately 2″ of height.
The cover of the Novosbed mattress is made of polyester, silica, modacrylic, and Tencel, and it has a very nice soft textured pattern and feel to it. The zippered top of this cover allows adding the Comfort + top kit, and it is easy to be removed for cleaning purposes.
Firmness and Support
The Novosbed is offered in 3 firmness options. The one we reviewed is Medium firm, and it scores 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
It felt a little firm to Andrew who is significantly heavier than me, and who often tends to compress through the top comfort layers and feel more of the support layers beneath. However, after we zipped a complimentary Comfort + top kit to the mattress, which not only increased its height but its overall comfort as well, it wasn’t so firm anymore.
After sleeping on it for about 2 weeks, the mattress softened even more and completely adapted to our bodies becoming much more comfortable and supportive for Andrew’s 230lb weight and large 6’+ frame.
For me, the Novosbed was of perfect firmness. It provided the hug and contour of classic memory foam that I like so much without causing me to feel enveloped by a mattress.
In terms of support, we feel the Novosbed mattress does a really good job of providing excellent support in all sleeping positions. It provides enough give in the top comfort layers to support your hips and shoulders and enough firmness necessary if you switch to your back or stomach.
As I have already mentioned, the Novosbed may initially feel a rather firm and not as cushioned due to the slower-response memory foam in its construction. But, with time, it will become much more comfortable, and it will perfectly adapt and mold to your body without causing the feeling of being trapped in foam.
It is a comfortable mattress and supportive enough to support and distribute our weights evenly across the bed. It is especially good for heavier sleepers like my boyfriend, and it provides a nice degree of responsiveness needed when changing positions during the night without causing too much motion transfer.
Although you may feel a slight heat retention from the mattress, which is common for most all foam mattresses, the Novosbed does a really good job at keeping you cool throughout the night due to its dense foam layers. It may be an all foam mattress, but it will not cause the sticky, sweaty feeling typical for most memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
When compared to other mattresses we have reviewed, this mattress does an excellent job of minimizing sinkage and motion transfer, although this is largely weight dependent.
Andrew sunk more than I did when sitting and lying on a mattress, but he did not reach the foundation.
The classic slow-response memory foam within this mattress isolates motion transfer and reduces it to the minimum thus allowing a sound and undisturbed sleep.
Edge support is also very good with this mattress, and better than in most other memory foam mattresses we have tested to date.
Smell / Off-Gassing
There was a minimal amount of off-gassing coming from the Novosbed mattress when we opened the package, which is to be expected given its all foam construction. But, it was nothing overpowering, and it dissipated during the night.
- 120 Night Sleep Trial
- 15 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- Free Shipping
The Novosbed mattress is reasonably priced coming in at $999 for a Queen, which is a reasonable price for a mattress of such a high quality and construction.
Loom and Leaf
Construction and Materials
The Loom and Leaf is over 12″ thick and made up of 4 layers of memory foam:
- 2″ Top Cooling and Comfort Layer – This layer is a 2″ 4lb gel memory foam using a patented gel-on-gel swirl design and convoluted foam laminated to medical grade cooling gel which provides a cool, supportive sleep environment and promotes airflow furthering cooling.
- 2.5″ Mattress Core Layer – This layer is made of 2.5″ of 5lb visco-elastic memory foam for deep contouring support
- 2″ Transition Layer – This layer is a 2″ transition loft pad, which serves as a transfer layer between the base support layer and those layers above and provides better support and comfort overall.
- 5.5″ Bottom Foundation Layer – Thus layer is a 5.5″ high-density foam core base which acts as the foundation and support for the rest of the mattress.
The cover of the Loom and Leaf is vastly different from the normal thin covers of the most other memory foam mattresses. It is made from 100% organic cotton with a circular knit top, quilted with a 5/8” foam layer that provides a luxurious feel and acts as a natural flame retardant.
Firmness and Support
Loom and Leaf offers two firmness options: the Loom and Leaf Relaxed Firm, scoring 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest, and the Loom and Leaf Firm, which is an 8 out of 10. This makes the Loom and Leaf suitable for people with different firmness preferences and different body weights like Andrew and myself.
The thick construction and high-density foam of this mattress perfectly supported Andrew’s weight (230lbs) and our hips and shoulders and provided us with the necessary comfort and feeling of massage during the night.
The 12″ thickness of the Loom and Leaf, its tufted quilted cotton cover that includes a 5/8″ foam layer, the 6.5″ of specialty foams, and the exclusive gel cooling layer included in its construction make this mattress a very comfortable one.
When you first lay down on the Loom and Leaf you will feel an immediate softness due to the quilted cover with the foam layer, and the support layers will begin to sense your pressure and react accordingly providing you with a very balanced feel.
The Loom and Leaf will hug your body and provide it with a nice degree of contouring without causing the feeling of being trapped in the memory foam typical for most memory foam mattresses.
Most memory foam mattresses lead to the retention of heat and cause a sweaty sticky feeling, but this is not the case with the Loom and Leaf. This mattress, just like the Novosbed, sleeps cool and eliminates any feeling of discomfort caused by a build-up of heat.
The exclusive cooling gel in the top layer of the Loom and Leaf, which is usually found in hospital burn units, allows maximum cooling and airflow and helps you stay cool and comfortable during the night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Sinkage and motion transfer on the Loom and Leaf depend on the model that you select (Relaxed Firm vs. Firm), as well as how much you weigh. The Relaxed Firm that we tested caused more sinkage when compared to the Firm model. But both models, thanks to their thick construction, did not cause us to sink down to the foundation of our bed like most of the other mattresses did.
Both Loom and Leaf models also do a good job of supporting heavier sleepers like my partner when sleeping or sitting near the edge, and they cause very minimal motion transfer with the high-quality dense foam construction doing a great job of insulating movement when turning or adjusting the positions during sleep.
Smell / Off-Gassing
As for smell/off-gassing, it is non-existent with the Loom and Leaf mattresses. They are shipped uncompressed in their natural form, which is not the case with other online mattress retailers and their memory foam mattresses that come compressed in plastic packages, so there is no any smell / off-gassing coming from the Loom and Leaf mattresses.
Customer service is something that Loom and Leaf prides itself on, and it gets high marks in this category. Upon putting your zip code on the site and determining whether the delivery is possible for your area, the mattresses are delivered directly to you by truck and professionally installed.
Other customer attributes include:
- 120-night sleep trial
- 15-year warranty
- Direct in-home delivery and setup with mattress removal
- Made in the USA
- Factory-direct pricing at Loomandleaf.com
The price of the Loom and Leaf mattresses comes in at $1799 for a queen. This is quite surprising given the exceptional quality materials used in their construction and the direct-to-home shipping and installation.
Novosbed vs. Loom and Leaf Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Novosbed vs. Loom and Leaf mattress.
|Novosbed||Loom and Leaf|
|Layers||2″ of ultra dense memory foam, 2″ of additional ultra dense memory foam, 7″ of base foam||2″ 4lb gel memory foam, 2.5″ of 5lb visco-elastic memory foam, 2″ transition loft pad, 5.5″ high-density foam core base|
|Cover||Made of polyester, silica, modacrylic, and Tencel with a soft textured pattern and a zippered top||Made from 100% organic cotton with a circular knit top, quilted with a 5/8” foam layer|
|Firmness||7 out of 10||Relaxed Firm: 6 out of 10
Firm: 8 out of 10
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Very minimal|
|Warranty||15 years||15 years|
|Shipping||120 days||120 days|
|Trial Period||Free shipping||$85-$99, full service in-home delivery|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Novosbed mattress if you like:
- Classic memory foam feel – The highest quality memory foam within the Novosbed mattress does a pretty good job of providing deep compression support, pressure relief and contouring to your body. It provides a hug typical for memory foam without causing you to feel enveloped by a mattress.
- A mattress with different firmness options – The Novosbed mattress comes in three firmness options and a complimentary Comfort + top cover which adds to the overall comfort of this mattress. This additional layer allows you adjust the firmness level of your mattress according to your needs.
- Sharing your bed – Being an all foam mattress, the Novosbed does an excellent job of reducing excessive motion transfer. It also doesn’t cause a large degree of sinkage which makes it a perfect option for couples. So if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner, the Novosbed may be the right pick for you as it will not cause you and your partner to roll into each other and feel as if you are sinking into a hole. It will allow you to change your sleep position or get in and out of bed during the night freely without disturbing the sleep of your beloved one.
Choose Loom and Leaf mattress if you like:
- A medium or hard firmness – The Loom & Leaf is available in two firmness options: a medium and firm. The medium is a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale and the hard is an 8 out of 10. This makes the Loom and Leaf mattresses suitable for people with different firmness preferences and different body weights.
- A balanced feel – The padded cover, thick comfort layer, and high-quality materials of this mattress create a balanced feel that will be enjoyable by most sleepers.
- A mattress that uses natural materials – The Loom and Leaf is known for using plant-based foams, organic cotton cover, and natural fire-retardant thistle.
- A thick and supportive mattress – The thick construction and high-density foam of this mattress makes it suitable for sleepers of different weights as it provides a necessary comfort and perfect support even to heavier sleepers.
- Full service in-home delivery – The Loom and Leaf may be an ideal choice for you if you don’t like unboxing the mattress and setting it up yourself as the Loom and Leaf provides full service in-home delivery. The mattress will be delivered directly to you by truck and professionally installed.