Novosbed vs. Leesa Original
When it comes to choosing a mattress, there are so many great brands on today’s market that it may be hard for you to find the one that will perfectly work for you.
In today’s review, we’ll be comparing two such brands: Novosbed vs Leesa Original. Both feature multiple layers of memory foam and both are made of the highest quality materials which makes choosing one of them a tough decision.
In this review, we’ll present you with the basic characteristics and benefits of these two mattresses that may help you pick the one that would best suit your specific needs and preferences. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Novosbed mattress is an 11″ mattress made up of 3 layers of foam.
- 2″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 2″ of ultra-dense memory foam, designed to provide comfort and ensure cooling during sleep. It also is designed to provide support and relieve pressure points. The aerated foam allows free circulation of air through the mattress and keeps it cool.
- 2″ Support Layer – This layer is 2″ of additional ultra-dense memory foam, designed to provide support and responsiveness and regulate transitioning motion between the upper and lower layers.
- 7″ Support Layer – This layer is 7″ of base foam that provides support for the mattress as well as deep compression support for the body.
When adding the Comfort + top cover to it, the mattress gains another approximately 2″ of height.
The cover of the Novosbed mattress is made of polyester, silica, modacrylic, and Tencel, and it has a very nice soft textured pattern and feel to it. The zippered top of this cover allows adding the Comfort + top kit, and it is easy to be removed for cleaning purposes.
Firmness and Support
The Novosbed is offered in 3 firmness options. The one we reviewed is Medium firm, and it scores 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
It felt a little firm to Andrew who is significantly heavier than me, and who often tends to compress through the top comfort layers and feel more of the support layers beneath. However, after we zipped a complimentary Comfort + top kit to the mattress, which not only increased its height but its overall comfort as well, it wasn’t so firm anymore.
After sleeping on it for about 2 weeks, the mattress softened even more and completely adapted to our bodies becoming much more comfortable and supportive for Andrew’s 230lb weight and large 6’+ frame.
For me, the Novosbed was of perfect firmness. It provided the hug and contour of classic memory foam that I like so much without causing me to feel enveloped by a mattress.
In terms of support, we feel the Novosbed mattress does a really good job of providing excellent support in all sleeping positions. It provides enough give in the top comfort layers to support your hips and shoulders and enough firmness necessary if you switch to your back or stomach.
As I have already mentioned, the Novosbed may initially feel a rather firm and not as cushioned due to the slower-response memory foam in its construction. But, with time, it will become much more comfortable, and it will perfectly adapt and mold to your body without causing the feeling of being trapped in foam.
It is a comfortable mattress and supportive enough to support and distribute our weights evenly across the bed. It is especially good for heavier sleepers like my boyfriend, and it provides a nice degree of responsiveness needed when changing positions during the night without causing too much motion transfer.
Although you may feel slight heat retention from the mattress, which is common for most all foam mattresses, the Novosbed does a really good job at keeping you cool throughout the night due to its dense foam layers. It may be an all foam mattress, but it will not cause the sticky, sweaty feeling typical for most memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
When compared to other mattresses we have reviewed, this mattress does an excellent job of minimizing sinkage and motion transfer, although this is largely weight dependent.
Andrew sunk more than I did when sitting and lying on a mattress, but he did not reach the foundation, which many thinner mattresses often cause him to do.
The classic slow-response memory foam within this mattress isolates motion transfer and reduces it to the minimum thus allowing a sound and undisturbed sleep.
Edge support is also very good with this mattress, and better than in most other memory foam mattresses we have tested to date.
Smell / Off-Gassing
There was a minimal amount of off-gassing coming from the Novosbed mattress when we opened the package, which is to be expected given its all foam construction. But, it was nothing overpowering, and it dissipated during the night.
- 120 Night Sleep Trial
- 15 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- Free Shipping
The Novosbed mattress is reasonably priced coming in at $999 for a Queen, which is a great price for a mattress of such a high quality and construction.
Construction and Materials
The Leesa Original is an all foam mattress that combines premium foams for extraordinary cooling, contouring and pressure-relieving support. It is composed of the following layers:
- 2″ Cooling Foam Top Layer – The top layer is 2″ of the special cooling foam, designed to provide both hug of a classic memory foam and enough bounce which facilitates moving around in bed and prevents you from feeling stuck in foam. The special structure of this foam also allows greater airflow through the mattress and aids in cooling.
- 2″ Contouring Memory Foam Layer – This layer is made up of 2″ of contouring memory foam designed to support the body and provide pressure relief and proper spinal alignment.
- 6″ Core Support Foam Base Layer – This layer is 6″ of dense support foam that serves as the foundation for the layers above and works with them to provide excellent support for all types of sleepers and all sleeping positions.
The Leesa Original has a seamless gray, twill fabric cover that is extremely soft to the touch. The cover works to provide a cool sleeping surface that is pleasant to the touch and increase the overall comfort and luxuriousness of this mattress.
Firmness and Support
The Leesa Original, unlike the Novosbed, comes in one universal firmness option designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers, and it is around a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
However, firmness is largely weight dependent and I tended to compress the top layers less than Andrew who weights considerably more than I do. Unlike its predecessor, the Leesa Original mattress provided us with excellent support in all sleeping positions and did not cause Andrew to compress the mattress so much and bottom out when sitting up on it.
The Leesa Original mattress is, just like the Novosbed, a comfortable mattress. Its top comfort cooling foam layer is soft enough to mold to your body and offers incredible pressure relief to prevent the appearance of pressure points and dead arm sensation while it’s at the same time supportive enough to keep your spine properly aligned regardless of your the position you sleep in.
The special foams used in its construction also provide a bit of responsiveness and bounce which facilitates moving around and getting in and out of bed during the night.
Andrew felt this mattress was supportive enough for his heavy weight, and it didn’t cause him to reach the foundation of our bed. So, if you are a heavier sleeper, you will find this mattress quite comfortable and it’s thinner construction won’t affect your overall comfort and the quality of your sleep.
As for sleeping hot, the Leesa does a good job here, and it is about average in this category.
Its top comfort layer made of the special cooling foam combined with the soft breathable cover prevents the build-up of excessive body heat, eliminates any discomfort and the feeling of stickiness usually present with many all foam mattresses and provides you with a cool and comfortable night’s sleep.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
As it has been already said, sinkage and motion transfer is highly dependent on sleeper’s weight and as Andrew weights around 230 lbs, he compressed a bit the top comfort layer of this mattress, but the special foam used in this layer worked perfectly with the memory foam layer and the firmer base layer below to prevent him from sinking all the way down through the mattress and bottoming out.
Edge support is also good with this mattress. Andrew didn’t press all the way down through the mattress and come to rest on the foundation of our bed when sitting on or near its edge, and it worked perfectly well for me as well. We also didn’t experience any feeling of sliding and rolling off the bed.
As for motion transfer, there is almost no motion transfer with this mattress due to its all foam construction which isolates movements between partners to the least bit.
Smell / Off-Gassing
There is a small degree of off-gassing/smell upon opening the box. It is due to the all-foam construction of this mattress, but it is nothing overpowering when compared to some other mattresses we have reviewed.
- Shipping – free shipping, arrives in 3-6 days
- 10 Year Warranty
- 100 Night Sleep Trial Period
- Made in the USA
Leesa is pretty reasonably priced when compared to the in-store brands, and it comes in at $1099 for a queen.
Click here to read the full Leesa Hybrid mattress review.
Novosbed vs. Leesa Original Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Novosbed vs. Leesa Original mattress.
|Layers||2″ of ultra dense memory foam, 2″ of additional ultra dense memory foam, 7″ of base foam||2″ of the special cooling foam, 2″ of contouring memory foam, 6″ of dense support foam|
|Cover||Made of polyester, silica, modacrylic, and Tencel with a soft textured pattern and a zippered top||Seamless gray, twill fabric cover that is extremely soft to the touch|
|Firmness||7 out of 10||6 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Very minimal|
|Warranty||15 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||120 days||100 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days|
|Refunds and Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Novosbed mattress if you like:
- Classic memory foam feel – The highest quality memory foam within the Novosbed mattress does a pretty good job of providing deep compression support, pressure relief and contouring to your body. It provides a hug typical for memory foam without causing you to feel enveloped by a mattress.
- A mattress with different firmness options – The Novosbed mattress comes in three firmness options and a complimentary Comfort + top cover which adds to the overall comfort of this mattress. This additional layer allows you adjust the firmness level of your mattress according to your needs.
- Sharing your bed – Being an all foam mattress, the Novosbed does an excellent job of reducing excessive motion transfer. It also doesn’t cause a large degree of sinkage which makes it a perfect option for couples. So if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner, the Novosbed may be the right pick for you as it will not cause you and your partner to roll into each other and feel as if you are sinking into a hole. It will allow you to change your sleep position or get in and out of bed during the night freely without disturbing the sleep of your beloved one.
Choose Leesa Original mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel – The softness of the Leesa Original cover combined with the initial soft response from its memory foam layers provide a soft feel typical for memory foam.
- Sleeping cool – The thin cover of this mattress and the use of the special cooling technologies in its construction allow easier air flow, make this mattress breathable, and eliminate the feeling of stickiness usually present in memory foam mattresses.