Nectar vs. Tempur Pedic
Let’s take a close look at two of today’s latest and most advanced memory foam mattresses: Tempur Pedic’s Cloud Luxe Breeze and the Nectar. Both of them are luxurious and boast excellent construction and top notch quality.
Tempur Pedic is popular for having invented the memory foam mattress, making them one of the most dominant brands in this industry. Nectar, despite being relatively new in the market, came out with a high quality mattress at a great price with an industry-leading 365 night sleep trial. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Nectar is an 11″ all foam mattress made up of 4 layers of various foams.
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of quilted foam sewn into the cover and designed to improve airflow, relieve pressure points, provide pain relief, softness, and a luxurious feel to the top.
- 1″ Support Layer – This layer is 1″ of 4lb patented Lush Foam semi-open fast-recovery gel memory foam, which provides primary support and aids in cooling and comfort.
- 3″ Transition Layer – This layer is 3″ of 3lb medical grade cooling gel embedded foam that aids in cooling and serves as a transitional support layer between the upper and lower layers.
- 6″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 6″ of high-density foam that provides deep compression support and serves as the foundation.
The cover of the Nectar mattress is made up of soft, long staple cotton that includes Tencel – a fabric more absorbent than cotton, softer than silk, and cooler than linen. It adds to the soft and luxurious feel of this bed, allows the circulation of air through the upper layer to improve airflow and circulation, and is naturally resistant to bed bugs.
Nectar Sleep is unique in that it offers its customers the option to replace the cover at no charge. Therefore, if the existing cover wears out, you don’t have to spend your money on buying a new mattress when you can simply replace the cover.
Firmness and Support
The Nectar mattress only comes in one firmness option which is medium firm and scores 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
Its top comfort layer provides a soft, luxurious feel, while the underlying support layers made of dense foam provide firmer support below and do not allow heavier sleepers like Andrew who is 230lbs to press through the top comfort layers and come to rest on the base support layers.
The Nectar provides good support for all sleeping positions. It provides the necessary support for back and stomach sleeping and it provides enough give in the top comfort layer to perfectly hug and mold to hips and shoulders when sleeping on your side.
The Nectar is a very comfortable mattress. The top layer with its Tencel cover provides a soft and supple sleeping environment, while the layers below consisting of gel foam and adaptive foam support and contour the body during sleep.
These underlying layers also provide the needed response when switching positions during the night and a nice degree of push-back and bounce ideal for late night amorous activities of couples.
The Nectar mattress does a good job at reducing heat, sleeping cool, and eliminating sweating and the feeling of stickiness present with many other memory foam mattresses. This is due to the multiple gel-infused foam layers and the quilted foam within the cover that allows easier circulation of air.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Nectar does a pretty good job in this category. It does not cause too much sinkage when lying or sitting on the mattress due to the high-quality dense foam layers used in its construction.
Edge support with this mattress is also good, and it prevents you from rolling off of the bed when sitting or sleeping near the edge.
Motion transfer with the Nectar mattress, is almost non-existent due to its all-foam construction known for its capability of reducing the motion transfer when adjusting positions or getting in and out of bed during the night.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Nectar gets high marks in this category too for not having any noticeable smell upon opening the box. There is not much off-gassing and odor with this mattress as it is the case with many other memory foam mattresses, and any smell present dissipates within 24 hours.
- 365 night Trial period
- “Forever Warranty” for the life of the mattress
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
Nectar is reasonably priced, coming in at $799 for a Queen. This is a great price for a mattress of such a high quality.
Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze
Construction and Materials
Tempur-Pedic, unlike other mattress companies, don’t share a lot of information about their technology. They consider it proprietary information, so there are not many details about the materials they use for the construction of their mattresses, density of the layers, etc.
Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze is an all-foam mattress by design and it is based on the following layers:
- PureCool+ Phase Change Top Layer: This is their new comfort layer that includes exclusive technology designed to wick heat away from the body and provide a cooling layer. All memory foam, no gel materials or anything, and not a lot of public information on exactly what the Breeze consists of.
- TEMPUR-CM+ Layer: This is their support layer, made of the advanced TEMPUR material which allows maximum airflow and works with the top layer to dissipate heat for all-night cooling comfort and provide overall sleep support.
- The Foundation Layer: This Layer is made of the Ventilated TEMPUR-APR material which is known to be one of the most pressure relieving materials ever and now it also comes with an ultra breathable design. It serves as the core foundation of this mattress and provides overall support and base for the mattress.
The cover of the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze comes with a SmartClimate Dual Cover System. It is an advanced zip-off cover with double the cool-to-touch power that cool and pleasant to the touch and that will also make you feel cooler when you lie down.
Firmness & Support
The new Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze soft model is quite soft when compared to other models. The PureCool+ Phase Change layer and TEMPUR-CM+ layer of this mattress place it around a 4-5 on a 10-point scale (10 being the firmest). So, when you lay on the mattress, you sink into it quite a bit, especially if you are a heavier sleeper like Andrew (230lbs).
The Tempur Pedic differs from many other memory foam mattresses in that it may initially seem to sleep hot or be too hard. However, the company recommends a 2-3 week “break-in” period for your body to acclimate to the mattress, and as the time passes your body totally adapts to it.
As it has been already mentioned, the new Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze soft is a very soft model and it gives you the feeling of sleeping on a could. It is extremely comfortable, it cushions your body and feels super luxurious.
Although it doesn’t have any special technology and materials included in its construction, its high-quality, heavy foam for which it is known perfectly conforms and adapts to your body.
Tempur Pedics used to be known for sleeping hot. The early models would be hot in the summer, and hard and cold in the winter. The ones we have used and slept on were no different.
The company has introduced their special cooling technology to address this, which is a key feature in the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze model which to a degree isn’t bad, but really is just more layers of memory foam designed to wick heat away.
These innovations are equally as effective as those of the mattresses including the newer heat regulating technology such as the use of copper, gel cooling layer or latex. Their new cooling technology does keep the mattress much cooler than previous generations of Tempur Pedic models for sure.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Tempur Pedics are known for having a very minimal motion transfer, due to the use of a high-quality dense foam in their construction.
However, sinkage with the new Cloud Luxe Breeze is a little pronounced as it is Tempur Pedic’s softest model, and when Andrew sat down on it, it compressed quite a bit but did not cause him to sink down to the foundation.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Although there was a significant chemical smell with the earlier Tempur Pedics, they seemed to have addressed this with the current models, and with their delivery of uncompressed mattresses. So, no noticeable smell comes from the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
Tempur Pedic used to sell their mattresses through major mattress retailers exclusively which helped them avoid dealing directly with the customers. Lately, however, they began selling their mattresses online as well.
Tempur Pedic customer service includes:
- 90 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- In-home delivery guaranteed by Tempur Pedic.
Although Tempur Pedics are generally expensive (a queen Cloud Luxe Breeze costs $4499), the company offers discounts which can help you save up to 30% on certain sizes of the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
Nectar vs. Tempur Pedic Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Nectar vs. Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze mattress.
|Nectar||Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze|
|Layers||1″ of quilted foam, 1″ of 4lb patented Lush Foam, 3″ of 3lb medical grade cooling gel embedded foam, 6″ of high-density foam||The TEMPUR-ES Breeze layer, the TEMPUR-Climate layer, the Foundation Layer|
|Cover||Soft, long staple cotton including Tencel||Thin, removable cotton cover|
|Firmness||6 out of 10||4-5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Very minimal|
|Warranty||Everlong warranty||10 years|
|Trial Period||365 days||90 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||In-home delivery|
|Refunds & Returns||100% money back guarantee for Refunds & Returns||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Nectar mattress if you like:
- A medium feel –The Nectar comes in only one firmness option, which is a medium firm scoring 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest, and it is suitable for sleepers of different firmness preferences and different weights.
- A full memory foam mattress – The Nectar is a full memory foam mattress composed of the highest-quality memory foam layers. It offers the sleepers many benefits of traditional memory foam such as deep compression, pressure relief, more hug and contour, minimal motion transfer, etc. while at the same time provides enough support and eliminates the feeling of being trapped in foam that many classic memory foam mattresses cause.
- A very supportive mattress – As it has been already mentioned, this mattress offers enough support for all sleeping positions which makes it ideal for sleepers of different weights.
- Responsiveness and bounce – The underlying gel foam and adaptive foam layers of the Nectar mattress provide the needed response when switching positions during the night and a nice degree of push-back and bounce ideal for late night amorous activities of couples.
Choose Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze if you like:
- The feel of the memory foam – If you like the soft feel of full memory foam mattresses, then the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze may be the right choice for you. It is an all foam mattress, made of the high-quality dense foam layers that provide necessary comfort and hug typical for memory foam.
- Soft mattresses – Cloud Luxe Breeze a very soft all foam mattress. Its top comfort layers provide enough cushioning and they perfectly mold to your body.
- Sharing your bed – Memory foam is known for causing minimal or no motion transfer at all, and the Cloud Luxe Breeze does a good job at isolating excessive motion transfer as well due to its dense memory foam layers. Therefore, if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner, this mattress may be ideal for you. You can change your position or get in and out of bed during the night freely without disturbing your beloved one.