Nectar vs. Casper
We are back with another mattress battle! This time, it’s going to be between the full memory foam Nectar and the hybrid (latex and memory foam) Casper.
Nectar has recently hit the market with its best material and best possible price, whereas the young 2-year-old Casper acquires its reputation for a reasonably-priced, direct-to-the consumer “Bed in a Box” type distribution model. Does the notion “With age comes wisdom” still have relevance in this case? Let’s find out!
Construction and Materials
The Nectar is an 11″ all foam mattress made up of 4 layers of various foams.
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of quilted foam sewn into the cover and designed to improve airflow, relieve pressure points, provide pain relief, softness, and a luxurious feel to the top.
- 1″ Support Layer – This layer is 1″ of 4lb patented Lush Foam semi-open fast-recovery gel memory foam, which provides primary support and aids in cooling and comfort.
- 3″ Transition Layer – This layer is 3″ of 3lb medical grade cooling gel embedded foam that aids in cooling and serves as a transitional support layer between the upper and lower layers.
- 6″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 6″ of high-density foam that provides deep compression support and serves as the foundation.
The cover of the Nectar mattress is made up of soft, long staple cotton that includes Tencel – a fabric more absorbent than cotton, softer than silk, and cooler than linen. It adds to the soft and luxurious feel of this bed, allows the circulation of air through the upper layer to improve airflow and circulation, and is naturally resistant to bed bugs.
Nectar Sleep is unique in that it offers its customers the option to replace the cover at no charge. Therefore, if the existing cover wears out, you don’t have to spend your money on buying a new mattress when you can simply replace the cover.
Firmness and Support
The Nectar mattress only comes in one firmness option which is medium firm and scores 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
Its top comfort layer provides a soft, luxurious feel, while the underlying support layers made of dense foam provide firmer support below and do not allow heavier sleepers like Andrew who is 230lbs to press through the top comfort layers and come to rest on the base support layers.
The Nectar provides good support for all sleeping positions. It provides the necessary support for back and stomach sleeping and it provides enough give in the top comfort layer to perfectly hug and mold to hips and shoulders when sleeping on your side.
The Nectar is a very comfortable mattress. The top layer with its Tencel cover provides a soft and supple sleeping environment, while the layers below consisting of gel foam and adaptive foam support and contour the body during sleep.
These underlying layers also provide the needed response when switching positions during the night and a nice degree of push-back and bounce ideal for late night amorous activities of couples.
The Nectar mattress does a good job at reducing heat, sleeping cool, and eliminating sweating and the feeling of stickiness present with many other memory foam mattresses. This is due to the multiple gel-infused foam layers and the quilted foam within the cover that allows easier circulation of air.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Nectar does a pretty good job in this category. It does not cause too much sinkage when lying or sitting on the mattress due to the high-quality dense foam layers used in its construction.
Edge support with this mattress is also good, and it prevents you from rolling off of the bed when sitting or sleeping near the edge.
Motion transfer with the Nectar mattress, is almost non-existent due to its all-foam construction known for its capability of reducing the motion transfer when adjusting positions or getting in and out of bed during the night.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Nectar gets high marks in this category too for not having any noticeable smell upon opening the box. There is not much off-gassing and odor with this mattress as it is the case with many other memory foam mattresses, and any smell present dissipates within 24 hours.
- 365 night Trial period
- “Forever Warranty” for the life of the mattress
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
Nectar is reasonably priced, coming in at $670 for a Queen (after clicking here and applying the MFT125 coupon). This is a great price for a mattress of such a high quality.
Construction and Materials
The Casper mattress is a 10″ all foam mattress made up of 4 layers:
- 1.5″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of open cell foam designed to provide cooling and comfort to the mattress.
- 1.5″ Response Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of responsive memory foam which provides bounce and responsiveness.
- 1.5″ Support Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of Zoned Support memory foam, which provides primary support and multi-regional zoned support to the areas of body where it is needed most including back, hips, and shoulders.
- 5.0″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 5″ of durable support foam that acts as the foundation and provides deep compression support.
The cover of the Casper mattress is made of a soft polyester blend. It is thick and snaps back into place quickly and won’t bunch up when you move around at night. It is removable as well so that it can be taken off and cleaned.
The exterior small dimples give the mattress a good feel and aid in breathability and increased airflow through its various layers.
Firmness and Support
The Casper mattress, just like the Nectar mattress, comes in one universal firmness option designed to appeal to around 80% of sleepers, and we rate it at a 6.5 out of 10 (10 being the firmest).
Unlike the original Casper we reviewed that incorporated latex in its comfort layers, this one has a more supportive, faster response top comfort layer made of responsive foam.
The underlying comfort and support foam layers provide the body contouring and “sinking in” sensation that memory foam is normally known for, without being too soft and causing us to sink down too much and feel trapped in foam.
This mattress also provides enough support in the comfort layers without making Andrew sink all the way down through them and come to rest on the base and core support layers beneath as this updated version is also much denser and better made.
It does a great job of providing body hug and contour without causing you to feel trapped in foam, and it is supportive enough for all sleeping positions. It has enough give in the top comfort layer to support your shoulders and hips and enough firmness if you switch to your stomach and back.
As I have already mentioned, this mattress now includes Zoned Support which provides your body with optimal support in the areas where it is needed most such as your hips, back, and shoulders.
The new Casper mattress is much more comfortable than its predecessor which is largely due to the removal of the latex layer and including highest-quality foam layers.
The open cell foam used in the top comfort layer provides cooling and breathability and makes the mattress feel very comfortable for all types of sleepers.
The layer of responsive foam provides enough bounce and responsiveness needed when switching positions during the night and supporting your weight with ease, especially if you are a heavier sleeper like Andrew (230lbs) without causing too much motion transfer. All this makes this mattress excellent for sex as well.
The Casper has that classic memory foam body contouring and hug feel without causing the “sinking down into a hole” feel that traditional memory foam mattresses often tend to cause. Although some review sites describe the Casper as being firm, we feel it is of perfect firmness with its responsive memory foam providing necessary bounce and responsiveness while cradling your body and creating that well-known feeling of hug typical for memory foam.
All in all, the new Casper is a comfortable, supportive and cool sleeping mattress that will provide you with a comfortable and sound sleep and the much-needed rest.
Being designed to sleep cool through advanced testing and molecular engineering, the Casper mattress, just like the Nectar, does a great job at not sleeping hot. The open-cell foam used in the top comfort and cooling layer helps promote airflow throughout the night and prevent heat retention.
Casper even went so far as to have the thermal resistance tested by a third party lab, Element Materials Technology, and found it outperformed competitors.
As a couple living in Texas, we are very tough when it comes to beds that sleep hot and don’t do what they advertise, but the Casper does exactly what it says – it does not sleep hot at all. The unique design and construction of this mattress prevents the buildup of heat and eliminates sweating during the night and the feeling of stickiness typical for most memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Although sinkage is largely weight dependent which means that heavier people will experience a larger degree of it than lighter people, the Casper does an excellent job at preventing excessive sinkage and preventing Andrew from bottoming out the mattress and rolling off its edges even though it is only 10″ thick.
Replacing the latex layer with foam did a great job at making the mattress responsive without causing excessive motion transfer, which makes it especially good for couples.
As mentioned, edge support is also great with this mattress, and better than in most all foam 10″ mattresses we have reviewed. The high-density foams used in its construction do a good job at providing even support throughout the mattress, including the edges and preventing us from rolling off them and Andrew from bottoming out the mattress.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Casper mattress gets high marks in this category for not having too much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box which most memory foam mattresses tend to have due to their construction and their plastic packages. With this mattress, there was markedly less off-gassing and odor which was rather surprising to us given its all foam construction.
- Engineered in-house at Casper Labs
- Designed and assembled in the USA
- Compatible with Casper sheets, pillow, duvet, foundation, and adjustable bed frame.
- 100 night Trial period
- 10 Year warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- Certi-Pur certified
The Casper mattress is very reasonably priced, coming in at $995 for a Queen, which is an excellent price given the quality of the materials used in the construction of this bed.
Nectar vs. Casper Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Nectar vs. Casper mattress.
|Layers||1″ of quilted foam, 1″ of 4lb patented Lush Foam, 3″ of 3lb medical grade cooling gel embedded foam, 6″ of high-density foam||1.5″ of open cell foam, 1.5″ of responsive memory foam, 1.5″ of Zoned Support memory foam|
|Cover||Soft, long staple cotton including Tencel||Thick, dimpled and removable, made of a soft polyester blend|
|Firmness||6 out of 10||6.5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Minimal|
|Warranty||Everlong warranty||10 years|
|Trial Period||365 days||100 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||100% money back guarantee for Refunds & Returns||100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Nectar mattress if you like:
- A medium feel –The Nectar comes in only one firmness option, which is a medium firm scoring 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest, and it is suitable for sleepers of different firmness preferences and different weights.
- A full memory foam mattress – The Nectar is a full memory foam mattress composed of the highest-quality memory foam layers. It offers the sleepers many benefits of traditional memory foam such as deep compression, pressure relief, more hug and contour, minimal motion transfer, etc. while at the same time provides enough support and eliminates the feeling of being trapped in foam that many classic memory foam mattresses cause.
- A very supportive mattress – As it has been already mentioned, this mattress offers enough support for all sleeping positions which makes it ideal for sleepers of different weights.
- Responsiveness and bounce – The underlying gel foam and adaptive foam layers of the Nectar mattress provide the needed response when switching positions during the night and a nice degree of push-back and bounce ideal for late night amorous activities of couples.
Choose Casper mattress if you like:
- A supportive mattress – This mattress provides enough support in the comfort layers without making you compress through them, and it is suitable for all sleeping styles. It also includes Zoned Support which provides your body with optimal support in the areas where it is needed most such as your hips, back, and shoulders.
- Memory foam feel – The top comfort layer of the Casper mattress made of responsive memory foam creates that classic memory foam body contouring and hug feel without causing the feeling of being trapped in foam that traditional memory foam mattresses often tend to cause.
- A mattress that sleeps cool – The Casper mattress sleeps incredibly cool throughout the entire night. The open-cell foam used in the top comfort and cooling layer works together with a dimpled cover to promote airflow through the mattress, prevent heat retention, and create a cool and comfortable sleep surface necessary for a quality and sound night’s sleep.
Looking for more Comparisons ?
here’s some of our most popular ones!
Buying a new mattress wasn't so simple a decade or two ago. It involved visiting mattress stores and selling departments and lying on mattresses for hours only to realize that nothing is good enough. But, the recent explosion of online mattress companies made getting...read more
Are you looking for a mattress with a softer feel? Do you want to feel like you're sleeping on clouds? If so, you should know that buying a high-performance soft mattress is not an easy thing to do. In this review, we'll be comparing two soft mattresses: Puffy vs...read more
When it comes to buying mattresses, there are literally thousands of options to choose from. Such an endless selection makes finding a mattress that will suit all your needs and sleep preferences very difficult. One of the most important things to pay attention to...read more
Are you looking for a new all foam mattress? Have you considered purchasing the Puffy universal comfort mattress or one of the Loom and Leaf models? In this Puffy vs Loom and Leaf comparison, we take a look at two popular online mattress brands. Both are luxury all...read more
If you wake up feeling tired or achy, or you tend to sleep better at hotels than at home, if your mattress looks saggy or lumpy or is at least five to seven years old then you should consider buying a new mattress. In this Puffy vs Nolah comparison review, we'll be...read more
We are back with another comparison. This time again it will be between two all foam mattresses highly rated by many customers: Puffy and Bear. The Puffy is a popular bed-in-a-box mattress ideal for those with a lighter build as it has a softer, cloud-like feel to it....read more
With such a great variety of high-quality all foam mattresses available online, you no longer have to visit local showrooms and try out mattresses for hours hoping that you’ll eventually pick the right one and that it will remain comfortable for the next decade or...read more
Today in this Tomorrow Sleep vs Casper review, we'll be comparing Tomorrow Sleep, a coil and memory foam hybrid with the updated version of the Casper mattress that recently hit the market with its innovative design and more than a reasonable price. One combines coil...read more
Memory foam mattresses continue to grow in popularity with every year, and there are many good reasons why. They are known for their ability to relieve pressure points, isolate motion transfer and provide a better and more comfortable night's sleep. But, if you are...read more
Are you looking for a mattress of the right firmness level capable of suiting all your sleeping styles? Have you considered purchasing one of the universal feel mattresses? In today's review we'll be comparing two such mattresses: Nolah vs Casper. These are 10“ thick...read more