Luxi vs. Helix Midnight Luxe
In continuation of our mattress face off series, today’s Luxi vs Helix Midnight Luxe comparison will be between the two unique customizable models.
These are not typical one-size-fits-all mattresses that can be found anywhere. They enable couples to have their own individual sides completely customized to their comfort needs or preferences.
With both of them made for the same purpose and dedicated to the same market segment, you may have a tough time choosing the right one to buy. We have tried out both of them and this is our review. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Luxi mattress is a 10″ thick memory foam mattress made up of 4 layers of latex, memory foam, support balancing technology, and support foam.
This mattress is unique in that it has “Flip-it / split-it” customization which means that each side of the mattress can be adjusted individually by unzipping the covering and re-configuring the layers.
Besides this, the Luxi mattress combines many other unique innovations including a patent-pending Support Balancing Technology layer that enhances the softness and support within the layers.
It consists of the following layers:
- 1.5″ Top comfort layer – This layer is made of 1.5″ of latex designed to provide cooling, comfort, and bounce to the mattress.
- 1″ Middle support layer – This layer is made of 1″ of memory foam which minimizes motion transfer and provides responsive support and pressure relief.
- 3.5″ Middle support layer – This layer is made of 3.5″ of proprietary Support Balancing Technology layer and is used to enhance the feel of memory foam and latex layers and support the body during sleep.
- 3.5″ Bottom foundation layer – This layer is made of 3.5″ of base foam and provides the foundation for the layers above.
The Luxi has a 3/4″ quilted foam cover which makes a soft and durable outer layer that can be unzipped to configure the mattress.
The Luxi Support Balancing Technology layer is unique in that it provides cushioning comfort and conforming qualities of memory foam but with a responsive elasticity that rebounds quickly when the sleeper changes positions. It provides support similar to that offered by the pocketed coils and distributes body weight evenly across the mattress.
A layer of high-density open cell memory foam, enhanced with latex, and a breathable quilted organic cotton cover provides greater airflow, keeps the mattress cool, and offers an additional softness and better wear-life than most traditionally constructed memory foam mattresses.
We feel this is a great mattress for couples with different sleep preferences as it allows a good degree of customization so it can suit both sleepers and minimize motion transfer between them.
Firmness and Support
As we have already mentioned, the Luxi is a customized comfort mattress in that its SBT layers can be flipped upside down to put the softer SBT “knobbies” on top for a softer feel, or the bottom support layer for maximum firmness.
In the soft configuration (SBT layer on top), we would say that the Luxi is around a 4-5 out of 10 (10 being firmest.) The company did send us an additional soft comfort layer that we installed on top of this which made it a 5 layer mattress and placed it near 3-4 in terms of softness.
The default shipping configuration is around a 6 out of 10 (10 being firmest), with the latex/foam layer on top. The firmest option with the support layer on top puts the mattress around an 8 out of 10 in terms of firmness.
Support was consistently good with the Luxi, as the configurable design allows so many options depending on personal preferences of the sleepers. I configured my side to the medium firm while Andrew liked the soft, but both of us felt very good support being side sleepers.
The Support Balancing Technology does an excellent job of distributing our weight evenly during the night and supports Andrew’s heavier weight pretty well.
The Luxi is a very comfortable mattress, with the latex, memory foam, and support balancing technology construction providing a comfortable night sleep in all sleeping positions.
The ability to switch out sides makes it perfect for all sleepers from those preferring a softer feel to those wanting a firmer feel.
The soft cover makes a very nice sleeping surface that also includes padding in it which enhances comfort during the night.
The Luxi sleeps quite cool due to the latex top layer, and the Support Balancing Technology layers and quilted cover that allow greater circulation of air through the mattress.
However, how cool this mattress will sleep depends on which layer you will put on top. The support foam layer tends to sleep less cool than other layers and may cause some heat retention.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
As for sinkage, there was some sinkage on the softest comfort setting while the firm setting caused a minimal degree of it.
How good edge support in this mattress is depends on the side of the mattress and firmness setting again.
When it comes to motion transfer, we can freely say that it is non-existent with the Luxi mattress due to its split design. We tested it as a couple and did not feel each other moving during the night at all which makes this mattress one of the best mattresses for couples.
Smell / Off-Gassing
There was a minimal amount of off-gassing coming from the Luxi mattress upon opening the box, which is above average when compared to the other mattresses we have reviewed.
- 100 Night Sleep Trial
- 1000 Night Sleep Satisfaction Guarantee
- 10 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- Free Shipping
The Luxi mattress comes in at $1299 for a queen which is a good value for all the benefits that it offers. You can save $125 by using our exclusive memoryfoamtalk coupon.
Helix Midnight Luxe
Construction and Materials
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is a 14″ hybrid mattress made up of gel memory foam, 1000 + pocketed coils, and foam. It consists of the following layers, which are custom configured via altering their densities and weights to achieve the proper degree of customization for your sleep preferences.
- 1″ Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of Gel memory foam that is extremely soft and designed to provide pressure relief and increase the overall comfort of this mattress.
- 2″ Support Layer – This layer is 2″ of Memory Plus Foam, designed to cushion and support your body.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of high-density High-Grade Polyfoam, designed to provide ergonomic support, contour to your body and serve as a transition layer between the top comfort foam layers and firmer coils bellow. It also allows a seamless progression of your body weight into the mattress.
- 8″ Zoned Body Shape Layer – This layer is 8″ of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping and limit excessive motion transfer. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.
- 1″ Base Layer – This layer is 1″ of DuraDense high density support foam that serves as the foundation and support for the mattress and increases its durability and stability.
The cover of the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is extremely soft 1-inch quilted premium pillow top made up of high-density polyurethane foam.
It increases the overall comfort of this mattress and the Ultra Breathable technology that it incorporates helps increase the airflow through the mattress and keeps you cool all night long.
Firmness and Support
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress like other Helix mattresses is unique in that there is no pre-set level of firmness that can be evaluated based on pre-set factory construction of the mattress.
The entire idea behind the Helix mattresses is to do exactly the opposite – provide customized firmness and support for each sleeper, not only in one bed – but in one bed with different values for each side.
This functions in such way where Helix takes the output from their questionnaire and either – builds two individual mattresses, then fuses them together to create one or takes the output from the questionnaire and designs a mattress blending both sleeper preferences.
In our case, my side (Andrew) required more support for my heavier weight, but a softer feel. This resulted in a mattress that felt around a 5.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale for me (10 being firmest).
The soft pillow top combined with the gel memory foam comfort layer below a soft feel and allowed me to sink into a mattress to a certain degree for a perfect pressure relief.
The slightly firmer support and transition layers beneath with the pocketed coil layer did an excellent job of providing extraordinary support to those areas of my body where I needed it most.
Zoning technology used in the coil layer offered a softer feel under shoulders and firmer under hips which made this mattress perfect for side sleeping. In addition these layers lifted my heavy weight and our weights combined as a couple with ease and helped distribute them evenly across the bed.
All in all, it did a great job of meeting our individual firmness and support needs and provided us with what each of us enjoy in the same bed.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is extremely comfortable in that its unique split construction and quality materials provide a medium feel and a perfect balance of comfort and support.
The premium quilted pillow top increases the overall comfort of this mattress and gives the feeling of sleeping on clouds and eliminates any possibility of the appearance of pressure points.
It also has a nice degree of responsiveness that facilitates moving around in bed during the night and makes this mattress perfect for sex.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress does an excellent job at sleeping cool due to its pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat and a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow, create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
Besides this, the split design of the bed ensured that our individual heat did not transfer over to each other.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Just like the Luxi, the Helix Midnight Luxe varies in terms of the amount of sinkage depending on each side of the mattress and our weights.
On my side, I compressed the pillow top and comfort layer beneath it quite a bit, but the firmer support and transition layers combined with the pocketed coils prevented me from sinking further into the mattress and feeling enveloped by it.
These layers lifted my heavy weight with ease and distributed it evenly across the bed while the zoned technology of the pocketed coil layer provided just the right amount of support to those areas of my body where I needed it most. Kaye’s side did the same for her.
Edge support is excellent with this mattress and better than with many other beds we have reviewed so far due to the quality pocketed coils used in its construction.
There was no motion transfer at all with this mattress due to its unique construction that prevented any sleep disturbance to the least bit.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Helix Midnight Luxe gets high marks in this category for not having much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box. Its hybrid design significantly reduced the amount of of-gassing and any smell that was present dissipated within a few hours.
Helix Sleep provides about the standard amount of customer service you can expect in a “Bed In A Box” online mattress retailer. This includes:
- 100 Night Sleep Trial
- 15 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- Free Shipping
- Money back guarantee
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is priced a bit higher and comes in at $1620 for a Queen.
However, for the level of customization you get and for a mattress of such a unique construction and highest-quality materials that are used in its construction, this is more than a reasonable price.
You can save $125 on a Helix Midnight Luxe! (Use Code: MFT125)
Luxi vs. Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Luxi vs. Helix Midnight Luxe mattress.
|Luxi||Helix Midnight Luxe|
|Layers||1.5″ of latex, 1″ of memory foam , 3.5″ of proprietary Support Balancing Technology layer, 3.5″ of base foam||1″ of Gel memory foam, 2″ of Memory Plus Foam, 1″ of high-density High-Grade Polyfoam, 8″ of individually wrapped coils, 1″ of DuraDense high density support foam|
|Cover||Soft and durable 3/4″ quilted foam cover||An extremely soft 1-inch quilted premium pillow top made up of high-density polyurethane foam|
|Firmness||Soft configuration: 4-5 out of 10 |
With additional soft comfort layer: 3-4 out of 10
Default shipping configuration: 6 out of 10
Firm configuration: 8 out of 10
|Warranty||10 years||15 years|
|Trial Period||100 days||100 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||1000 Night Sleep Satisfaction Guarantee||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Luxi mattress if you like:
- Adjustable mattresses – The Luxi mattress is unique in that it has “Flip-it / split-it” customization which means that each side of the mattress can be adjusted individually simply by unzipping the covering and re-configuring the layers.
- Sharing your bed – This mattress could be a good pick for you if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner because of its split foam construction, which allows you to fully adjust each side of the bed to your and your partner’s specific sleep preferences.
- Changing your sleep positions frequently – The Support Balancing Technology layer does an excellent job of supporting your weight in different sleep positions while providing enough pressure relief for a comfortable night’s sleep regardless of how much you toss and turn.
Choose Helix Midnight Luxe mattress if you like:
- Sleeping on your side and back – This mattress provides the support necessary for side sleeping and back sleeping without causing any discomfort in hips and shoulders that some mattresses often cause. The plush top comfort layers provide perfect pressure relief for hips and shoulders while pocketed coil system lifts your body weight and provides excellent support.
- A mattress that sleeps cool – The Helix Midnight Luxe sleeps quite cool due to its unique pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat and a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow through the top of the mattress in order to create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
- Beds with excellent support – This mattress features an 8″ thick Zoned Body Shape layer consisting of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.