Loom and Leaf vs. Tempur Pedic
Are you in the market for the best memory foam mattress? Do you know what to look for when buying such mattress?
Memory foam mattresses have proven to be a fast-growing alternative to traditional innerspring mattresses. They contour to the body perfectly and provide extraordinary comfort and support, and knowing what to look for is of crucial importance in finding a memory foam mattress that will best fit your needs.
In today’s review, we’ll be comparing two all memory foam mattresses: Loom and Leaf and Tempur Pedic, coming from two well-known mattress manufacturers Saatva and industry heavyweight Tempur-Sealy.
We’ll present you with the basic characteristics and interesting similarities and differences between the two that you should consider if you are thinking of purchasing one of these mattresses, and that may help you decide which one would be a better choice for you. Last updated
Loom and Leaf
Construction and Materials
The Loom and Leaf is over 12″ thick and made up of 4 layers of memory foam:
- 2″ Top Cooling and Comfort Layer – This layer is a 2″ 4lb gel memory foam using a patented gel-on-gel swirl design and convoluted foam laminated to medical grade cooling gel which provides a cool, supportive sleep environment and promotes airflow furthering cooling.
- 2.5″ Mattress Core Layer – This layer is made of 2.5″ of 5lb visco-elastic memory foam for deep contouring support
- 2″ Transition Layer – This layer is a 2″ transition loft pad, which serves as a transfer layer between the base support layer and those layers above and provides better support and comfort overall.
- 5.5″ Bottom Foundation Layer – Thus layer is a 5.5″ high-density foam core base which acts as the foundation and support for the rest of the mattress.
The cover of the Loom and Leaf is vastly different from the normal thin covers of the most other memory foam mattresses. It is made from 100% organic cotton with a circular knit top, quilted with a 5/8” foam layer that provides a luxurious feel and acts as a natural flame retardant.
Firmness and Support
Loom and Leaf offers two firmness options: the Loom and Leaf Relaxed Firm, scoring 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest, and the Loom and Leaf Firm, which is an 8 out of 10. This makes the Loom and Leaf suitable for people with different firmness preferences and different body weights like Andrew and myself.
The thick construction and high-density foam of this mattress perfectly supported Andrew’s weight (230lbs) and our hips and shoulders and provided us with the necessary comfort and feeling of massage during the night.
The 12″ thickness of the Loom and Leaf, its tufted quilted cotton cover that includes a 5/8″ foam layer, the 6.5″ of specialty foams, and the exclusive gel cooling layer included in its construction make this mattress a very comfortable one.
When you first lay down on the Loom and Leaf you will feel an immediate softness due to the quilted cover with the foam layer, and the support layers will begin to sense your pressure and react accordingly providing you with a very balanced feel.
The Loom and Leaf will hug your body and provide it with a nice degree of contouring without causing the feeling of being trapped in the memory foam typical for most memory foam mattresses.
Most memory foam mattresses lead to the retention of heat and cause a sweaty sticky feeling, but this is not the case with the Loom and Leaf. This mattress sleeps cool and eliminates any feeling of discomfort caused by a build-up of heat.
The exclusive cooling gel in the top layer of the Loom and Leaf, which is usually found in hospital burn units, allows maximum cooling and airflow and helps you stay cool and comfortable during the night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Sinkage and motion transfer on the Loom and Leaf depend on the model that you select (Relaxed Firm vs. Firm), as well as how much you weigh. The Relaxed Firm that we tested caused more sinkage when compared to the Firm model. But both models, thanks to their thick construction, did not cause us to sink down to the foundation of our bed like most of the other mattresses did.
Both Loom and Leaf models also do a good job of supporting heavier sleepers like my partner when sleeping or sitting near the edge, and they cause very minimal motion transfer with the high-quality dense foam construction doing a great job of insulating movement when turning or adjusting the positions during sleep.
Smell / Off-Gassing
As for smell/off-gassing, it is non-existent with the Loom and Leaf mattresses. They are shipped uncompressed in their natural form, which is not the case with other online mattress retailers and their memory foam mattresses.
Customer service is something that Loom and Leaf prides itself on, and it gets high marks in this category. Upon putting your zip code on the site and determining whether the delivery is possible for your area, the mattresses are delivered directly to you by truck and professionally installed.
Other customer attributes include:
- 120-night sleep trial
- 15-year warranty
- Direct in-home delivery and setup with mattress removal
- Made in the USA
- Factory-direct pricing at Loomandleaf.com
The price of the Loom and Leaf mattresses comes in at $1299 for a queen. This is quite surprising given the exceptional quality materials used in their construction and the direct-to-home shipping and installation.
Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze
Construction and Materials
Tempur-Pedic, unlike other mattress companies, don’t share a lot of information about their technology. They consider it proprietary information, so there are not many details about the materials they use for the construction of their mattresses, density of the layers, etc.
Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze is an all-foam mattress by design and it is based on the following layers:
- A Top Layer, the TEMPUR-ES Breeze layer: This is their new comfort layer, designed to wick heat away from the body and provide cooling.
- A Second Layer, the TEMPUR-Climate layer: This is their support layer, which also works with the Breeze layers to dissipate heat, and provide overall sleep support.
- The Foundation Layer: This layer serves as the core foundation and provides overall support and base for the mattress. It is a 7lb memory foam base, and it is the heaviest and thickest in the industry.
The cover of this mattress is made of a thin cotton which makes you feel the memory foam instantly, and this is something that all Tempur Pedic’s share.
Firmness & Support
The Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze is quite soft when compared to other models. The Breeze layer and Climate layer of this mattress place it around a 4-5 on a 10-point scale (10 being the firmest). So, when you lay on the mattress, you sink into it quite a bit, especially if you are a heavier sleeper like Andrew (230lbs).
The Tempur Pedic differs from many other memory foam mattresses in that it may initially seem to sleep hot or be too hard. However, the company recommends a 2-3 week “break-in” period for your body to acclimate to the mattress, and as the time passes your body totally adapts to it.
As it has been already mentioned, the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze is a very soft model and it gives you the feeling of sleeping on a could. Though it is comfortable and cushions your body, it doesn’t feel super luxurious. It doesn’t have any special materials and technology included in its construction except its high-quality, heavy foam for which it is known and which conforms and adapts to your body rather well.
Tempur Pedics used to be known for sleeping hot. The early models would be hot in the summer, and hard and cold in the winter. The ones we have used and slept on were no different.
The company has introduced the Tempur Pedic Breeze technology to address this. This model has several more layers of memory foam which are designed to wick away heat, but we feel it isn’t as effective in heat regulation as the Loom and Leaf or some other mattresses incorporating copper and gel cooling technology in their construction.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Tempur Pedics are known for having a very minimal motion transfer, due to the use of a high-quality dense foam in their construction.
However, there is a large degree of sinkage with the Cloud Luxe Breeze as it is Tempur Pedic’s softest model, and when Andrew sat down on it, it compressed quite a bit but did not cause him to sink down to the foundation.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Although there was a significant chemical smell with the earlier Tempur Pedics, they seemed to have addressed this with the current models, and with their delivery of uncompressed mattresses. So, no noticeable smell comes from the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
Tempur Pedic used to sell their mattresses through major mattress retailers exclusively which helped them avoid dealing directly with the customers. Lately, however, they began selling their mattresses online as well.
Tempur Pedic customer service includes:
- 90 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- In-home delivery guaranteed by Tempur Pedic.
Although Tempur Pedics are generally expensive (a queen Cloud Luxe Breeze costs around $4800), the company offers discounts which can help you save up to 40% on certain sizes of the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
Loom and Leaf vs. Tempur Pedic Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Loom and Leaf vs. Tempur Pedic mattress.
|Loom and Leaf||Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze|
|Layers||2″ 4lb gel memory foam, 2.5″ of 5lb visco-elastic memory foam, 2″ transition loft pad, 5.5″ high-density foam core base||The TEMPUR-ES Breeze layer, the TEMPUR-Climate layer, the Foundation Layer|
|Cover||Made from 100% organic cotton with a circular knit top, quilted with a 5/8” foam layer||Thin, removable cotton cover|
|Firmness||Relaxed Firm: 6 out of 10 |
Firm: 8 out of 10
|4-5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Very minimal|
|Warranty||15 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||120 days||90 days|
|Shipping||$85-$99, full service in-home delivery||In-home delivery|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Loom and Leaf mattress if you like:
- A medium or hard firmness – The Loom & Leaf is available in two firmness options: a medium and firm. The medium is a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale and the hard is an 8 out of 10. This makes the Loom and Leaf mattresses suitable for people with different firmness preferences and different body weights.
- A balanced feel – The padded cover, thick comfort layer, and high-quality materials of this mattress create a balanced feel that will be enjoyable by most sleepers.
- A mattress that uses natural materials – The Loom and Leaf is known for using plant-based foams, organic cotton cover, and natural fire-retardant thistle.
- A thick and supportive mattress – The thick construction and high-density foam of this mattress makes it suitable for sleepers of different weights as it provides a necessary comfort and perfect support even to heavier sleepers.
- Full service in-home delivery – The Loom and Leaf may be an ideal choice for you if you don’t like unboxing the mattress and setting it up yourself as the Loom and Leaf provides full service in-home delivery. The mattress will be delivered directly to you by truck and professionally installed.
Choose Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze if you like:
- The feel of the memory foam – If you like the soft feel of full memory foam mattresses, then the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze may be the right choice for you. It is an all foam mattress, made of the high-quality dense foam layers that provide necessary comfort and hug typical for memory foam.
- Soft mattresses – Cloud Luxe Breeze a very soft all foam mattress. Its top comfort layers provide enough cushioning and they perfectly mold to your body.
- Sharing your bed – Memory foam is known for causing minimal or no motion transfer at all, and the Cloud Luxe Breeze does a good job at isolating excessive motion transfer as well due to its dense memory foam layers. Therefore, if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner, this mattress may be ideal for you. You can change your position or get in and out of bed during the night freely without disturbing your beloved one.