Loom and Leaf vs. Casper
In today’s comparison we’ll be comparing the Loom and Leaf mattress to the newly released updated version of the Casper mattress.
The Loom and Leaf is a full memory foam mattress coming with high-end materials, traditional look and a bit higher prices, while the new Casper, unlike its predecessor featuring latex, is also entirely made of foam. It comes with a Zoned support layer designed to provide support to the areas of the body where it is needed most, and although it is recently released, it is already voted as the best mattress in many categories.
Keep reading to see what we think about them and how these two mattresses compare to each other. Last updated
Loom and Leaf
Construction and Materials
The Loom and Leaf is over 12″ thick and made up of 4 layers of memory foam:
- 2″ Top Cooling and Comfort Layer – This layer is a 2″ 4lb gel memory foam using a patented gel-on-gel swirl design and convoluted foam laminated to medical grade cooling gel which provides a cool, supportive sleep environment and promotes airflow furthering cooling.
- 2.5″ Mattress Core Layer – This layer is made of 2.5″ of 5lb visco-elastic memory foam for deep contouring support
- 2″ Transition Layer – This layer is a 2″ transition loft pad, which serves as a transfer layer between the base support layer and those layers above and provides better support and comfort overall.
- 5.5″ Bottom Foundation Layer – Thus layer is a 5.5″ high-density foam core base which acts as the foundation and support for the rest of the mattress.
The cover of the Loom and Leaf is vastly different from the normal thin covers of the most other memory foam mattresses. It is made from 100% organic cotton with a circular knit top, quilted with a 5/8” foam layer that provides a luxurious feel and acts as a natural flame retardant.
Firmness and Support
Loom and Leaf offers two firmness options: the Loom and Leaf Relaxed Firm, scoring 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest, and the Loom and Leaf Firm, which is an 8 out of 10. This makes the Loom and Leaf suitable for people with different firmness preferences and different body weights like Andrew and myself.
The thick construction and high-density foam of this mattress perfectly supported Andrew’s weight (230lbs) and our hips and shoulders and provided us with the necessary comfort and feeling of massage during the night.
The 12″ thickness of the Loom and Leaf, its tufted quilted cotton cover that includes a 5/8″ foam layer, the 6.5″ of specialty foams, and the exclusive gel cooling layer included in its construction make this mattress a very comfortable one.
When you first lay down on the Loom and Leaf you will feel an immediate softness due to the quilted cover with the foam layer, and the support layers will begin to sense your pressure and react accordingly providing you with a very balanced feel.
The Loom and Leaf will hug your body and provide it with a nice degree of contouring without causing the feeling of being trapped in the memory foam typical for most memory foam mattresses.
Most memory foam mattresses lead to the retention of heat and cause a sweaty sticky feeling, but this is not the case with the Loom and Leaf. This mattress sleeps cool and eliminates any feeling of discomfort caused by a build-up of heat.
The exclusive cooling gel in the top layer of the Loom and Leaf, which is usually found in hospital burn units, allows maximum cooling and airflow and helps you stay cool and comfortable during the night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Sinkage and motion transfer on the Loom and Leaf depend on the model that you select (Relaxed Firm vs. Firm), as well as how much you weigh. The Relaxed Firm that we tested caused more sinkage when compared to the Firm model. But both models, thanks to their thick construction, did not cause us to sink down to the foundation of our bed like most of the other mattresses did.
Both Loom and Leaf models also do a good job of supporting heavier sleepers like my partner when sleeping or sitting near the edge, and they cause very minimal motion transfer with the high-quality dense foam construction doing a great job of insulating movement when turning or adjusting the positions during sleep.
Smell / Off-Gassing
As for smell/off-gassing, it is non-existent with the Loom and Leaf mattresses. They are shipped uncompressed in their natural form, which is not the case with other online mattress retailers and their memory foam mattresses that come compressed in plastic packages, so there is no any smell / off-gassing coming from the Loom and Leaf mattresses.
Customer service is something that Loom and Leaf prides itself on, and it gets high marks in this category. Upon putting your zip code on the site and determining whether the delivery is possible for your area, the mattresses are delivered directly to you by truck and professionally installed.
Other customer attributes include:
- 120-night sleep trial
- 10-year warranty
- Direct in-home delivery and setup with mattress removal
- Made in the USA
- Factory-direct pricing at Loomandleaf.com
The price of the Loom and Leaf mattresses coming in at around $1499 for a queen. This is quite surprising given the exceptional quality materials used in their construction and the direct-to-home shipping and installation.
Construction and Materials
The Casper mattress is a 10″ all foam mattress made up of 4 layers:
- 1.5″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of open cell foam designed to provide cooling and comfort to the mattress.
- 1.5″ Response Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of responsive memory foam which provides bounce and responsiveness.
- 1.5″ Support Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of Zoned Support memory foam, which provides primary support and multi-regional zoned support to the areas of body where it is needed most including back, hips, and shoulders.
- 5.0″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 5″ of durable support foam that acts as the foundation and provides deep compression support.
The cover of the Casper mattress is made of a soft polyester blend. It is thick and snaps back into place quickly and won’t bunch up when you move around at night. It is removable as well so that it can be taken off and cleaned.
The exterior small dimples give the mattress a good feel and aid in breathability and increased airflow through its various layers.
Firmness and Support
While the Loom and Leaf comes in two firmness options, the Casper comes in one universal firmness option designed to appeal to around 80% of sleepers, and we rate it at a 6.5 out of 10 (10 being the firmest).
Unlike the original Casper we reviewed that incorporated latex in its comfort layers, this one has a more supportive, faster response top comfort layer made of responsive foam.
The underlying comfort and support foam layers provide the body contouring and “sinking in” sensation that memory foam is normally known for, without being too soft and causing us to sink down too much and feel trapped in foam.
This mattress also provides enough support in the comfort layers without making Andrew sink all the way down through them and come to rest on the base and core support layers beneath as this updated version is also much denser and better made.
Just like the Loom and Leaf, it does a great job of providing body hug and contour without causing you to feel trapped in foam, and it is supportive enough for all sleeping positions. It has enough give in the top comfort layer to support your shoulders and hips and enough firmness if you switch to your stomach and back.
As I have already mentioned, this mattress now includes Zoned Support which provides your body with optimal support in the areas where it is needed most such as your hips, back, and shoulders.
The new Casper mattress is much more comfortable than its predecessor which is largely due to the removal of the latex layer and including highest-quality foam layers.
The open cell foam used in the top comfort layer provides cooling and breathability and makes the mattress feel very comfortable for all types of sleepers.
The layer of responsive foam provides enough bounce and responsiveness needed when switching positions during the night and supporting your weight with ease, especially if you are a heavier sleeper like Andrew (230lbs) without causing too much motion transfer. All this makes this mattress excellent for sex as well.
The Casper has that classic memory foam body contouring and hug feel without causing the “sinking down into a hole” feel that traditional memory foam mattresses often tend to cause. Although some review sites describe the Casper as being firm, we feel it is of perfect firmness with its responsive memory foam providing necessary bounce and responsiveness while cradling your body and creating that well-known feeling of hug typical for memory foam.
All in all, the new Casper is a comfortable, supportive and cool sleeping mattress that will provide you with a comfortable and sound sleep and the much-needed rest.
Being designed to sleep cool through advanced testing and molecular engineering, the Casper mattress, just like the Loom and Leaf, does a great job at not sleeping hot. The open-cell foam used in the top comfort and cooling layer helps promote airflow throughout the night and prevent heat retention.
Casper even went so far as to have the thermal resistance tested by a third party lab, Element Materials Technology, and found it outperformed competitors.
As a couple living in Texas, we are very tough when it comes to beds that sleep hot and don’t do what they advertise, but the Casper does exactly what it says – it does not sleep hot at all. The unique design and construction of this mattress prevents the buildup of heat and eliminates sweating during the night and the feeling of stickiness typical for most memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Although sinkage is largely weight dependent which means that heavier people will experience a larger degree of it than lighter people, the Casper does an excellent job at preventing excessive sinkage and preventing Andrew from bottoming out the mattress and rolling off its edges even though it is only 10″ thick.
Replacing the latex layer with foam did a great job at making the mattress responsive without causing excessive motion transfer, which makes it especially good for couples.
As mentioned, edge support is also great with this mattress, and better than in most all foam 10″ mattresses we have reviewed. The high-density foams used in its construction do a good job at providing even support throughout the mattress, including the edges and preventing us from rolling off them and Andrew from bottoming out the mattress.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Casper mattress gets high marks in this category for not having too much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box which most memory foam mattresses tend to have due to their construction and their plastic packages. With this mattress, there was markedly less off-gassing and odor which was rather surprising to us given its all foam construction.
- Engineered in-house at Casper Labs
- Designed and assembled in the USA
- Compatible with Casper sheets, pillow, duvet, foundation, and adjustable bed frame.
- 100 night Trial period
- 10 Year warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- Certi-Pur certified
The Casper mattress is very reasonably priced, coming in at $995 for a Queen, which is an excellent price given the quality of the materials used in the construction of this bed.
Loom and Leaf vs. Casper Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Loom and Leaf vs. Casper mattress.
|Loom and Leaf||Casper|
|Layers||2″ 4lb gel memory foam, 2.5″ of 5lb visco-elastic memory foam, 2″ transition loft pad, 5.5″ high-density foam core base||1.5″ of open cell foam, 1.5″ of responsive memory foam, 1.5″ of Zoned Support memory foam|
|Cover||Made from 100% organic cotton with a circular knit top, quilted with a 5/8” foam layer||Thick, dimpled and removable, made of a soft polyester blend|
|Firmness||Relaxed Firm: 6 out of 10 |
Firm: 8 out of 10
|6.5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Minimal|
|Warranty||15 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||120 days||100 days|
|Shipping||$85-$99, full service in-home delivery||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Loom and Leaf mattress if you like:
- A medium or hard firmness – The Loom & Leaf is available in two firmness options: a medium and firm. The medium is a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale and the hard is an 8 out of 10. This makes the Loom and Leaf mattresses suitable for people with different firmness preferences and different body weights.
- A balanced feel – The padded cover, thick comfort layer, and high-quality materials of this mattress create a balanced feel that will be enjoyable by most sleepers.
- A mattress that uses natural materials – The Loom and Leaf is known for using plant-based foams, organic cotton cover, and natural fire-retardant thistle.
- A thick and supportive mattress – The thick construction and high-density foam of this mattress makes it suitable for sleepers of different weights as it provides a necessary comfort and perfect support even to heavier sleepers.
- Full service in-home delivery – The Loom and Leaf may be an ideal choice for you if you don’t like unboxing the mattress and setting it up yourself as the Loom and Leaf provides full service in-home delivery. The mattress will be delivered directly to you by truck and professionally installed.
Choose Casper mattress if you like:
- A supportive mattress – This mattress provides enough support in the comfort layers without making you compress through them, and it is suitable for all sleeping styles. It also includes Zoned Support which provides your body with optimal support in the areas where it is needed most such as your hips, back, and shoulders.
- Memory foam feel – The top comfort layer of the Casper mattress made of responsive memory foam creates that classic memory foam body contouring and hug feel without causing the feeling of being trapped in foam that traditional memory foam mattresses often tend to cause.
- A mattress that sleeps cool – The Casper mattress sleeps incredibly cool throughout the entire night. The open-cell foam used in the top comfort and cooling layer works together with a dimpled cover to promote airflow through the mattress, prevent heat retention, and create a cool and comfortable sleep surface necessary for a quality and sound night’s sleep.