Loom and Leaf vs. Bear
Does your body ache every morning? Are you restless and sleepless? A memory foam mattress can help eliminate these problems and make you feel better.
Memory foam is known for its pressure relieving properties, deep compression support, and conforming abilities. It perfectly molds to your body, distributes its weight evenly across the bed, and allows a comfortable and painless sleep.
In this review, we’ll be comparing two mattresses, entirely made of memory foam that come from two well-known mattress companies: Loom and Leaf and Bear.
Keep reading to find out what are their characteristic features that set them apart from many other memory foam mattresses available on today’s market, and pick the right one for your needs. Last updated
Loom and Leaf
Construction and Materials
The Loom and Leaf is over 12″ thick and made up of 4 layers of memory foam:
- 2″ Top Cooling and Comfort Layer – This layer is a 2″ 4lb gel memory foam using a patented gel-on-gel swirl design and convoluted foam laminated to medical grade cooling gel which provides a cool, supportive sleep environment and promotes airflow furthering cooling.
- 2.5″ Mattress Core Layer – This layer is made of 2.5″ of 5lb visco-elastic memory foam for deep contouring support
- 2″ Transition Layer – This layer is a 2″ transition loft pad, which serves as a transfer layer between the base support layer and those layers above and provides better support and comfort overall.
- 5.5″ Bottom Foundation Layer – Thus layer is a 5.5″ high-density foam core base which acts as the foundation and support for the rest of the mattress.
The cover of the Loom and Leaf is vastly different from the normal thin covers of the most other memory foam mattresses. It is made from 100% organic cotton with a circular knit top, quilted with a 5/8” foam layer that provides a luxurious feel and acts as a natural flame retardant.
Firmness and Support
Loom and Leaf offers two firmness options: the Loom and Leaf Relaxed Firm, scoring 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest, and the Loom and Leaf Firm, which is an 8 out of 10. This makes the Loom and Leaf suitable for people with different firmness preferences and different body weights like Andrew and myself.
The thick construction and high-density foam of this mattress perfectly supported Andrew’s weight (230lbs) and our hips and shoulders and provided us with the necessary comfort and feeling of massage during the night.
The 12″ thickness of the Loom and Leaf, its tufted quilted cotton cover that includes a 5/8″ foam layer, the 6.5″ of specialty foams, and the exclusive gel cooling layer included in its construction make this mattress a very comfortable one.
When you first lay down on the Loom and Leaf you will feel an immediate softness due to the quilted cover with the foam layer, and the support layers will begin to sense your pressure and react accordingly providing you with a very balanced feel.
The Loom and Leaf will hug your body and provide it with a nice degree of contouring without causing the feeling of being trapped in the memory foam typical for most memory foam mattresses.
Most memory foam mattresses lead to the retention of heat and cause a sweaty sticky feeling, but this is not the case with the Loom and Leaf. This mattress sleeps cool and eliminates any feeling of discomfort caused by a build-up of heat.
The exclusive cooling gel in the top layer of the Loom and Leaf, which is usually found in hospital burn units, allows maximum cooling and airflow and helps you stay cool and comfortable during the night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Sinkage and motion transfer on the Loom and Leaf depend on the model that you select (Relaxed Firm vs. Firm), as well as how much you weigh. The Relaxed Firm that we tested caused more sinkage when compared to the Firm model. But both models, thanks to their thick construction, did not cause us to sink down to the foundation of our bed like most of the other mattresses did.
Both Loom and Leaf models also do a good job of supporting heavier sleepers like my partner when sleeping or sitting near the edge, and they cause very minimal motion transfer with the high-quality dense foam construction doing a great job of insulating movement when turning or adjusting the positions during sleep.
Smell / Off-Gassing
As for smell/off-gassing, it is non-existent with the Loom and Leaf mattresses. They are shipped uncompressed in their natural form, which is not the case with other online mattress retailers and their memory foam mattresses that come compressed in plastic packages, so there is no any smell / off-gassing coming from the Loom and Leaf mattresses.
Customer service is something that Loom and Leaf prides itself on, and it gets high marks in this category. Upon putting your zip code on the site and determining whether the delivery is possible for your area, the mattresses are delivered directly to you by truck and professionally installed.
Other customer attributes include:
- 120-night sleep trial
- 15-year warranty
- Direct in-home delivery and setup with mattress removal
- Made in the USA
- Factory-direct pricing at Loomandleaf.com
The price of the Loom and Leaf mattresses comes in at $1699 for a queen. This is quite surprising given the exceptional quality materials used in their construction and the direct-to-home shipping and installation.
Construction and Materials
The Bear mattress is a 10″ thick memory foam mattress made up of 3 layers of graphite gel-infused memory foam, quick response foam, and core support foam wrapped in a Celliant cover.
- 1″ Top comfort layer – This layer is made of 1″ of graphite-infused memory foam designed to provide cooling and comfort. Graphite-infused memory foam has been shown to be 7 times cooler than traditional memory foam.
- 2.5″ Middle support layer – This layer is made of 2.5″ of quick response foam and provides responsive support and pressure relief. The special proprietary Bear Quick Response Foam used here provides faster responsiveness when changing positions during the night.
- 6.5″ Bottom foundation layer – This layer is made of 6.5″ of core support foam that provides deep compression support and serves as the foundation for the layers above.
The Bear has a cover made of polyester and Celliant. Celliant cooling technology within this cover converts body heat into infrared light, helps with muscle recovery, and ensures a quality sleep, which makes this mattress ideal for athletes and those with an active lifestyle.
Firmness and Support
Unlike the Loom and Leaf which comes in two firmness options, the Bear mattress is a universal comfort mattress coming in at a 7 on the firmness scale (10 being firmest). The combination of graphite gel-infused memory foam and quick response foam in the comfort and support layers provides a somewhat firmer feel, but with time the mattress perfectly adapts to your body.
Andrew as a heavier sleeper than me felt the Bear was on the firmer side, which is often the case for him with many universal comfort memory foam mattresses. This is because he tends to compress through thinner top comfort layers and feel the underlying firmer foundation layers beneath, but I felt it was just right as I generally prefer mattresses with a firmer feel. With the time, however, it totally adapted to our bodies and seemed less firm to Andrew.
The 10-inch design of this mattress and the combination of different foam layers in its construction provide a good support for various sleep positions. The 3.5″ comfort layer provides enough responsiveness and bounce and works together with the underlying core support layer to prevent you from sinking too much in the mattress, and it is especially good for heavier sleepers like my boyfriend.
The graphite gel-infused memory foam, a quick response foam, and overall construction of this mattress provide a comfortable sleep in all sleeping positions.
The mattress quickly responds to changes in position during the night, and it does not cause the feeling of being stuck in foam typical for most memory foam mattresses.
The Bear mattress also has a good degree of bounce coming from the responsive foam layer used in its construction, which is especially beneficial for late night’s amorous activities of couples.
The Bear mattress sleeps quite cool due to its use of the graphite gel-infused memory foam known to sleep 7x cooler than a traditional foam. It not only stimulates faster muscle recovery, but also prevents heat retention and creates a cool and comfortable sleep surface that allows continuous and restful sleep.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
There was an average amount of sinkage with the Bear mattress, but this was mostly due to Andrew’s heavier weight (230 lbs).
When sitting up or near the edge, he compressed the mattress to a certain degree. However, when lying prone on the bed during the night, the mattress did a good job at supporting his body, and it distributed his weight evenly. As a lighter sleeper, I did not sink into the mattress so much.
As for motion transfer, there is a moderate amount of it with the Bear due to the use of the responsive memory foam layer in its construction, but it is nothing too serious to disturb your sleep during the night.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Unlike the Loom and Leaf mattresses, the Bear Mattress has a minimal amount of off-gassing upon opening the box, which is to be expected due to its all foam construction and the nature of its delivery. However, any smell that is present dissipates within a few hours.
- 100 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- No questions asked return policy
- Free Shipping
The Bear is reasonably priced coming in at $850 for a Queen, but you can get it for only $800 with $50 memoryfoamtalk.com coupon.
Loom and Leaf vs. Bear Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Loom and Leaf vs. Bear mattress.
|Loom and Leaf||Bear|
|Layers||2″ 4lb gel memory foam, 2.5″ of 5lb visco-elastic memory foam, 2″ transition loft pad, 5.5″ high-density foam core base||1″ of graphite infused memory foam, 2.5″ of quick response foam, 6.5″ of core support foam|
|Cover||Made from 100% organic cotton with a circular knit top, quilted with a 5/8” foam layer||Made of polyester and Celliant|
|Firmness||Relaxed Firm: 6 out of 10 |
Firm: 8 out of 10
|7 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Moderate amount of motion transfer|
|Warranty||15 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||120 days||100 days|
|Shipping||$85-$99, full service in-home delivery||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||No questions asked return policy|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Loom and Leaf mattress if you like:
- A medium or hard firmness – The Loom & Leaf is available in two firmness options: a medium and firm. The medium is a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale and the hard is an 8 out of 10. This makes the Loom and Leaf mattresses suitable for people with different firmness preferences and different body weights.
- A balanced feel – The padded cover, thick comfort layer, and high-quality materials of this mattress create a balanced feel that will be enjoyable by most sleepers.
- A mattress that uses natural materials – The Loom and Leaf is known for using plant-based foams, organic cotton cover, and natural fire-retardant thistle.
- A thick and supportive mattress – The thick construction and high-density foam of this mattress makes it suitable for sleepers of different weights as it provides a necessary comfort and perfect support even to heavier sleepers.
- Full service in-home delivery – The Loom and Leaf may be an ideal choice for you if you don’t like unboxing the mattress and setting it up yourself as the Loom and Leaf provides full service in-home delivery. The mattress will be delivered directly to you by truck and professionally installed.
Choose Bear mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel without the feeling of being trapped – The layer of responsive memory foam within this mattress allows you to change positions during the night, and it does not cause the feeling of being stuck in foam typical for most memory foam mattresses.
- A cool-sleeping mattress – The unique design of this mattress combining the graphite gel-infused memory foam and the Celliant does a good job at regulating temperature and keeping this mattress cool throughout the entire night.
- Leading an active lifestyle – Celliant cooling technology incorporated within the cover of the Bear mattress converts body heat into infrared light, helps with muscle recovery, and ensures a quality sleep, which makes this mattress ideal for athletes and those with an active lifestyle