Layla vs. Nolah Original
Are you looking for a high-quality mattress that will deliver extraordinary comfort and last for years? Have you considered purchasing some of the well-known all foam mattresses such as Layla and Nolah Original? In this comparison, we take a look at both in our Layla vs Nolah mattress comparison.
These are popular and unique mattress brands. They both bring several innovations to mattress industry and while one features special copper-infused memory foam for additional cooling, the other uses its own proprietary Air Foam, but which one is better?
Keep reading to find out. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Layla is an all-foam 10-inch mattress with 4 layers of copper-infused memory foam and base support foam. There is a core inner support foam layer and a comfort layer on each side of the mattress, which provide the different firmness settings when the mattress is flipped over.
- 3″ Comfort Layer (Soft setting) – 3″ of high-density copper infused memory foam that provides cooling and improves blood circulation
- 2″ Support Layer – 2″ of convoluted foam that provides airflow and support for the comfort layers on each side
- 4″ Base Support Foam – 4″ of 2.o ILD Poly Base foam that provides overall support for the mattress in both comfort configurations.
- 1″ Comfort Layer (Firm setting) – 1″ of the same high-density copper infused memory foam as 3″ layer.
The cover is soft and comfortable, lined with THERMOgel technology that causes the bed to react to your body’s sweat in order to keep you cool at night as well. Besides this the cover is colored differently on each firmness side of the mattress, and both soft and firm side are clearly marked.
Firmness and Support
This mattress is unique in that you can go from a soft feel to a firm feel in the same bed simply by turning the mattress over.
We felt the soft side to be around a 5-6 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest. When we flipped it over to the firmer side the feel was around 8 out of 10, with 10 being the firmest.
The mattress does a great job at supporting both my lighter weight and the heavier weight of my partner without the feeling of being trapped in foam. It is a universal model that will satisfy just about all firmness preferences of the sleepers, from those that like the softer/medium feel to those wanting the firmer one.
As for the comfort, the Layla mattress is a rather comfortable as it can satisfy both softer and firmer preferences of the sleepers and provide them with a luxurious feel.
Its soft cover and the all foam construction on the soft firmness allow you to sink in the mattress to a certain degree but not feel trapped. Similarly, if you prefer a firmer mattress, you just have to flip it over and you will be provided with a firmer comfort level.
The Layla does a great job at sleeping cool, and it is far above almost every other mattress on the market in this category.
All foam beds usually lead to the build-up of heat and the feeling of stickiness, but with the Layla, there is no such problem due to the use of copper-infused foam in its construction. The THERMOgel infused cover contributes to not sweating when sleeping as well.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Sinkage and motion transfer depend on which firmness level you prefer. As sinkage is largely weight dependant, Andrew sunk down more on the softer side than I did, but this is something he enjoys as he prefers the feeling of his body being contoured in foam which helps support his back and shoulders as well.
A firm side of the mattress causes less sinkage and the edge support is also better on the firm side than on the soft for the same reason. The Layla has a good edge support and Andrew did not compress or sink down to the foundation as it often happens with other memory foam mattresses.
When it comes to motion transfer, it is almost non-existent with Layla both on its soft side as well as on the firm side, which is a great benefit for couples.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Layla releases a minimal amount of smell upon opening of the box, which is quite surprising given the fact that it is an all-foam mattress. All the smell that is present dissipates within a few hours.
Layla Sleep Customer Service:
- 120-night sleep trial
- Made in the USA
- Free shipping and free returns
- Ships in 7 days
The Layla is very competitively priced at $849 for a Queen. This is an excellent price given the quality materials used in the construction of this mattress and its special cooling features.
The Nolah Original mattress is unique in that it delivers the benefits of memory foam without the use of the memory foam. Nolah created their own proprietary foam, Nolah Air Foam, which sleeps cooler than memory foam and is more durable than latex.
Construction and Materials
The Nolah Original mattress is 10″ thick and made up of 3 layers of proprietary foam:
- 2″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 2″ of proprietary cooling Nolah Air Foam designed to provide superior pressure relief and comfort and ensure cooling during sleep. It will contour perfectly to your body without making you feel trapped in foam.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of deep supportive high-resilience foam that is stronger and more durable than latex. It provides a healthy and responsive bounce and aids in transitioning motion between the upper and lower layers.
- 7″ Support Layer – This layer is 7″ of high-density breathable base foam that provides durability and stability to the mattress, excellent support as well as deep compression support for the body.
The cover of this mattress is a new snow-white Botanic Origin Tencel cover. It is a sustainable cellulosic cover of botanic origin that has a nice soft textured pattern and feel to it.
Firmness and Support
The Nolah Original is a universal comfort model and it only comes in one firmness option, which we rate at a 6-7 out of 10 (10 being the firmest). It initially may feel a little bit firm, but after a week or two, it totally adapts to your body.
This model is ideal for all sleeping positions as it offers enough give in the top comfort layer to support your shoulders and hips and has necessary firmness if you switch to your back or stomach.
Although the Nolah Original mattress initially feels rather firm and not as cushioned, as the time passes your body adapts to it and molds to memory foam.
The Air Foam and the other layersin its construction work well together to provide the classic memory foam feeling of body hug and contour without causing you to feel trapped in a mattress.
The layer of high-resilience foam does a good job at supporting your body and providing good responsiveness when changing positions during the night without causing excessive motion transfer.
The Nolah Original does a good job at creating a cool sleeping surface due to the use of the proprietary Nolah Air Foam. It retains a minimal amount of heat which is typical for most all foam mattresses, but it’s nothing too serious to cause sticky, sweaty feeling and deprive you of sleep.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
With the Nolah Original mattress sinkage and motion transfer are reduced to the minimum. Andrew who is 230 lbs compressed the mattress to a certain degree, but he did not sink all the way down through it and come to rest on its foundation which is often the case with other all foam mattresses.
Edge support is also good with this mattress as edges don’t compress when sitting or lying near them, and they don’t cause the feeling of rolling off the bed.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Nolah Original had an average amount of off-gassing when taken out of the box and packaging. This is to be expected due to its all foam nature and the fact that it is delivered wrapped in a plastic package within a box, but any smell that was present dissipated within a few hours.
- 120 Night Sleep Trial Period
- Lifetime Warranty
- Made in America
- Free Shipping
This model is reasonably priced coming in at $799 for a Queen, which is a good price given the quality materials used in its construction.
Layla vs. Nolah Original Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Layla vs. Nolah Original mattress.
|Layers||3″ of high density copper infused memory foam, 2″ of convoluted foam, 4″ of 2.o ILD Poly Base foam, 1″ of the same high density copper infused memory||2″ of proprietary cooling Nolah Air Foam, 1″ of deep supportive high-resilience foam, 7″ of high-density breathable base foam|
|Cover||Soft and comfortable cover, lined with THERMOgel technology||A new snow-white Botanic Origin Tencel cover|
|Firmness||5-8 out of 10||6-7 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Very minimal|
|Trial Period||120 days||120 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Free returns||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Layla mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel – Both the firm and the soft sides of the Layla contain copper infused memory foam that provides pressure relief. Its soft cover and the all foam construction allow you to sink in the mattress to a certain degree and provide you with the classic memory foam feel of contouring without the feeling of being trapped.
- Sleeping cool – The THERMOgel infused cover of this mattress and the use of cooper-infused foam in its construction prevent heat build-up, regulate the temperature and eliminate the sticky feeling that most all-foam mattresses cause.
- Adjustable mattress – The Layla could be an excellent choice for you if you are not sure which firmness level is right for you as it gives you the possibility to go from a soft to a firm feel in the same bed simply by turning the mattress over.
- Sharing your bed – The Layla mattress due to its all-foam construction causes very minimal motion transfer when changing positions or getting in and our of bed during the night, and it can be a great choice if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner.
Choose Nolah Original mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel – As it has been already mentioned, this mattress offers a classic memory foam feel without the actual use of memory foam. The company created their own Nolah Air Foam which sleeps cooler than memory foam and is more durable than latex. It perfectly molds to your body and provides a hug typical for memory foam mattresses without causing you to feel trapped.
- Supportive mattress – The Nolah Original mattress does an excellent job at supporting your body in all sleeping positions. It will not compress too much under your weight, and it will not cause you to sink down to the foundation.
- Sharing your bed – With this mattress, there is almost no motion transfer which means that it is perfect for couples. So, if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner, the Nolah Original mattress may be the right pick for you. It will allow you to move freely around your bed and get in and out of it during the night without disturbing the sleep of your beloved one.