Layla vs. Nectar
Are you thinking of getting rid of your old innerspring bed to make room for a new all foam mattress?
All foam mattresses are known for providing deep compression support, contour and hug to the body, relieving pain and pressure points, and isolating motion transfer.
They receive high ratings from consumers when compared to traditional innerspring mattresses, which means that there is a good chance you’ll be totally satisfied with your new bed.
Today, we’ll be comparing two all foam mattresses – Layla and Nectar, and one of them may prove to be the right choice for you.
Construction and Materials
The Layla is an all-foam 10-inch mattress with 4 layers of copper-infused memory foam and base support foam. There is a core inner support foam layer and a comfort layer on each side of the mattress, which provide the different firmness settings when flipped over.
- 3″ Comfort Layer (Soft setting) – 3″ of high-density copper infused memory foam that provides cooling and improves blood circulation
- 2″ Support Layer – 2″ of convoluted foam that provides airflow and support for the comfort layers on each side
- 4″ Base Support Foam – 4″ of 2.o ILD Poly Base foam that provides overall support for the mattress in both comfort configurations.
- 1″ Comfort Layer (Firm setting) – 1″ of the same high-density copper infused memory foam as 3″ layer.
The cover is soft and comfortable, lined with THERMOgel technology that causes the bed to react to your body’s sweat in order to keep you cool at night as well.
Firmness and Support
This mattress is unique in that you can go from a soft feel to a firm feel in the same bed simply by unzipping the cover and turning the mattress over.
The Layla comes by default in the softer configuration from the company, which is around 5-6 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest. When we unzipped the mattress and flipped it over to the firmer side the feel was around 8 out of 10, with 10 being the firmest.
The mattress does a great job at supporting both my lighter weight and the heavier weight of my partner without the feeling of being trapped in foam. It is a universal model that will satisfy just about all firmness preferences of the sleepers, from those that like the softer/medium feel to those wanting the firmer one.
As for the comfort, the Layla mattress is a rather comfortable as it can satisfy both softer and firmer preferences of the sleepers and provide them with a luxurious feel.
Its soft cover and the all foam construction on the soft firmness allow you to sink in the mattress to a certain degree but not feel trapped. Similarly, if you prefer a firmer mattress, you just have to unzip and flip it over and you will be provided with a firmer comfort level.
The Layla does a great job at sleeping cool, and it is far above almost every other mattress on the market in this category.
All foam beds usually lead to the build-up of heat and the feeling of stickiness, but with the Layla, there is no such problem due to the use of copper-infused foam in its construction. The THERMOgel infused cover contributes to not sweating when sleeping as well.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Sinkage and motion transfer depend on which firmness setting you configure the Layla to. As sinkage is largely weight dependant, Andrew sunk down more on the softer side than I did, but this is something he enjoys as he prefers the feeling of his body being contoured in foam which helps support his back and shoulders as well.
A firm setting of the mattress causes less sinkage and the edge support is also better on the firm setting than the soft for the same reason. The Layla has a good edge support and Andrew did not compress or sink down to the foundation as it often happens with other memory foam mattresses.
When it comes to motion transfer, it is almost non-existent with Layla both on its soft side as well as on the firm side, which is a great benefit for couples.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Layla releases a minimal amount of smell upon opening of the box, which is quite surprising given the fact that it is an all-foam mattress. All the smell that is present dissipates within a few hours.
Layla Sleep Customer Service:
- 120-night sleep trial
- Made in the USA
- Free shipping and free returns
- Ships in 7 days
- $100 off with our MFT100 coupon and clicking here
The Layla is very competitively priced at $899 for a Queen ($799 with our exclusive $100 off coupon). This is an excellent price given the quality materials used in the construction of this mattress and its special cooling features.
Construction and Materials
The Nectar is an 11″ all foam mattress made up of 4 layers of various foams.
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of quilted foam sewn into the cover and designed to improve airflow, relieve pressure points, provide pain relief, softness, and a luxurious feel to the top.
- 1″ Support Layer – This layer is 1″ of 4lb patented Lush Foam semi-open fast-recovery gel memory foam, which provides primary support and aids in cooling and comfort.
- 3″ Transition Layer – This layer is 3″ of 3lb medical grade cooling gel embedded foam that aids in cooling and serves as a transitional support layer between the upper and lower layers.
- 6″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 6″ of high-density foam that provides deep compression support and serves as the foundation.
The cover of the Nectar mattress is made up of soft, long staple cotton that includes Tencel – a fabric more absorbent than cotton, softer than silk, and cooler than linen. It adds to the soft and luxurious feel of this bed, allows the circulation of air through the upper layer to improve airflow and circulation, and is naturally resistant to bed bugs.
Nectar Sleep is unique in that it offers its customers the option to replace the cover at no charge. Therefore, if the existing cover wears out, you don’t have to spend your money on buying a new mattress when you can simply replace the cover.
Firmness and Support
The Nectar mattress, unlike the Layla which comes with two firmness options within the same mattress, only comes in one firmness option which is medium firm and scores 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
Its top comfort layer provides a soft, luxurious feel, while the underlying support layers made of dense foam provide firmer support below and do not allow heavier sleepers like Andrew who is 230lbs to press through the top comfort layers and come to rest on the base support layers.
The Nectar provides good support for all sleeping positions. It provides the necessary support for back and stomach sleeping and it provides enough give in the top comfort layer to perfectly hug and mold to hips and shoulders when sleeping on your side.
The Nectar is a very comfortable mattress. The top layer with its Tencel cover provides a soft and supple sleeping environment, while the layers below consisting of gel foam and adaptive foam support and contour the body during sleep.
These underlying layers also provide the needed response when switching positions during the night and a nice degree of push-back and bounce ideal for late night amorous activities of couples.
The Nectar mattress, like the Layla, does a good job at reducing heat, sleeping cool, and eliminating sweating and the feeling of stickiness present with many other memory foam mattresses. This is due to its multiple gel-infused foam layers and the quilted foam within the cover that allows easier circulation of air.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Nectar does a pretty good job in this category as well as it does not cause too much sinkage when lying or sitting on the mattress due to the high-quality dense foam layers used in its construction.
Edge support with this mattress is also good, and it prevents you from rolling off of the bed when sitting or sleeping near the edge.
Just like with the Layla, motion transfer with the Nectar mattress is almost non-existent due to its all-foam construction known for its capability of reducing the motion transfer when adjusting positions or getting in and out of bed during the night.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Nectar gets high marks in this category too for not having any noticeable smell upon opening the box. There is not much off-gassing and odor with this mattress as it is the case with many other memory foam mattresses, and any smell present dissipates within 24 hours.
- 365 night Trial period
- “Forever Warranty” for the life of the mattress
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
Nectar is reasonably priced, coming in at $670 for a Queen (after applying the MFT125 coupon). This is a great price for a mattress of such a high quality.
Layla vs. Nectar Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Layla vs. Nectar mattress.
|Layers||3″ of high density copper infused memory foam, 2″ of convoluted foam, 4″ of 2.o ILD Poly Base foam, 1″ of the same high density copper infused memory||1″ of quilted foam, 1″ of 4lb patented Lush Foam, 3″ of 3lb medical grade cooling gel embedded foam, 6″ of high-density foam|
|Cover||Soft and comfortable cover, lined with THERMOgel technology||Soft, long staple cotton including Tencel|
|Firmness||5-8 out of 10||6 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Very minimal|
|Trial Period||120 days||365 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Free returns||100% money back guarantee for Refunds & Returns|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Layla mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel – Both the firm and the soft comfort layers of the Layla contain copper infused memory foam that provides pressure relief. Its soft cover and the all foam construction allow you to sink in the mattress to a certain degree and provide you with the classic memory foam feel of contouring without the feeling of being trapped.
- Sleeping cool – The THERMOgel infused cover of this mattress and the use of cooper-infused foam in its construction prevent heat build-up, regulate the temperature and eliminate the sticky feeling that most all-foam mattresses cause.
- Adjustable mattress – The Layla could be an excellent choice for you if you are not sure which firmness level is right for you as it gives you the possibility to go from a soft to a firm feel in the same bed simply by unzipping the cover and turning the mattress over.
- Sharing your bed – The Layla mattress due to its all-foam construction causes very minimal motion transfer when changing positions or getting in and our of bed during the night, and it can be a great choice if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner.
Choose Nectar mattress if you like:
- A medium feel –The Nectar comes in only one firmness option, which is a medium firm scoring 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest, and it is suitable for sleepers of different firmness preferences and different weights.
- A full memory foam mattress – The Nectar is a full memory foam mattress composed of the highest-quality memory foam layers. It offers the sleepers many benefits of traditional memory foam such as deep compression, pressure relief, more hug and contour, minimal motion transfer, etc. while at the same time provides enough support and eliminates the feeling of being trapped in foam that many classic memory foam mattresses cause.
- A very supportive mattress – As it has been already mentioned, this mattress offers enough support for all sleeping positions which makes it ideal for sleepers of different weights.
- Responsiveness and bounce – The underlying gel foam and adaptive foam layers of the Nectar mattress provide the needed response when switching positions during the night and a nice degree of push-back and bounce ideal for late night amorous activities of couples.