Layla vs. Casper
In today’s review, we’ll be comparing two luxury all foam mattresses that sell primarily online: Layla vs Casper.
Both have their specific features that set them apart from other all foam mattresses, and while the Layla is a double-sided mattress offering two firmness options in one bed and the first mattress featuring copper-infused foam, the new updated Casper is a universal comfort model designed to suit a wide range of sleepers with different sleeping styles.
Read our review and find out which one of these mattresses may be a perfect pick for you. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Layla is an all-foam 10-inch mattress with 4 layers of copper-infused memory foam and base support foam. There is a core inner support foam layer and a comfort layer on each side of the mattress, which provide the different firmness settings when the mattress is flipped over.
- 3″ Comfort Layer (Soft setting) – 3″ of high-density copper infused memory foam that provides cooling and improves blood circulation
- 2″ Support Layer – 2″ of convoluted foam that provides airflow and support for the comfort layers on each side
- 4″ Base Support Foam – 4″ of 2.o ILD Poly Base foam that provides overall support for the mattress in both comfort configurations.
- 1″ Comfort Layer (Firm setting) – 1″ of the same high-density copper infused memory foam as 3″ layer.
The cover is soft and comfortable, lined with THERMOgel technology that causes the bed to react to your body’s sweat in order to keep you cool at night as well. Besides this the cover is colored differently on each firmness side of the mattress, and both soft and firm side are clearly marked.
Firmness and Support
This mattress is unique in that you can go from a soft feel to a firm feel in the same bed simply by turning the mattress over.
We felt the soft side to be around a 5-6 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest. When we flipped it over to the firmer side the feel was around 8 out of 10, with 10 being the firmest.
The mattress does a great job at supporting both my lighter weight and the heavier weight of my partner without the feeling of being trapped in foam. It is a universal model that will satisfy just about all firmness preferences of the sleepers, from those that like the softer/medium feel to those wanting the firmer one.
As for the comfort, the Layla mattress is a rather comfortable as it can satisfy both softer and firmer preferences of the sleepers and provide them with a luxurious feel.
Its soft cover and the all foam construction on the soft firmness allow you to sink in the mattress to a certain degree but not feel trapped. Similarly, if you prefer a firmer mattress, you just have to flip it over and you will be provided with a firmer comfort level.
The Layla does a great job at sleeping cool, and it is far above almost every other mattress on the market in this category.
All foam beds usually lead to the build-up of heat and the feeling of stickiness, but with the Layla, there is no such problem due to the use of copper-infused foam in its construction. The THERMOgel infused cover contributes to not sweating when sleeping as well.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Sinkage and motion transfer depend on which firmness level you prefer. As sinkage is largely weight dependant, Andrew sunk down more on the softer side than I did, but this is something he enjoys as he prefers the feeling of his body being contoured in foam which helps support his back and shoulders as well.
A firm side of the mattress causes less sinkage and the edge support is also better on the firm side than on the soft for the same reason. The Layla has a good edge support and Andrew did not compress or sink down to the foundation as it often happens with other memory foam mattresses.
When it comes to motion transfer, it is almost non-existent with Layla both on its soft side as well as on the firm side, which is a great benefit for couples.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Layla releases a minimal amount of smell upon opening of the box, which is quite surprising given the fact that it is an all-foam mattress. All the smell that is present dissipates within a few hours.
Layla Sleep Customer Service:
- 120-night sleep trial
- Made in the USA
- Free shipping and free returns
- Ships in 7 days
- $100 off with our MFT100 coupon and clicking here
The Layla is very competitively priced at $899 for a Queen ($799 with our exclusive $100 off coupon). This is an excellent price given the quality materials used in the construction of this mattress and its special cooling features.
Construction and Materials
The Casper mattress is a 10″ all foam mattress made up of 4 layers:
- 1.5″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of open cell foam designed to provide cooling and comfort to the mattress.
- 1.5″ Response Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of responsive memory foam which provides bounce and responsiveness.
- 1.5″ Support Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of Zoned Support memory foam, which provides primary support and multi-regional zoned support to the areas of body where it is needed most including back, hips, and shoulders.
- 5.0″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 5″ of durable support foam that acts as the foundation and provides deep compression support.
The cover of the Casper mattress is made of a soft polyester blend. It is thick and snaps back into place quickly and won’t bunch up when you move around at night. It is removable as well so that it can be taken off and cleaned.
The exterior small dimples give the mattress a good feel and aid in breathability and increased airflow through its various layers.
Firmness and Support
While the Layla is a double sided mattress offering two firmness options withing the same mattress, the Casper comes in one universal firmness option designed to appeal to around 80% of sleepers, and we rate it at a 6.5 out of 10 (10 being the firmest).
Unlike the original Casper we reviewed that incorporated latex in its comfort layers, this one has a more supportive, faster response top comfort layer made of responsive foam.
The underlying comfort and support foam layers provide the body contouring and “sinking in” sensation that memory foam is normally known for, without being too soft and causing us to sink down too much and feel trapped in foam.
This mattress also provides enough support in the comfort layers without making Andrew sink all the way down through them and come to rest on the base and core support layers beneath as this updated version is also much denser and better made.
Just like the Layla, it does a great job of providing body hug and contour without causing you to feel trapped in foam, and it is supportive enough for all sleeping positions. It has enough give in the top comfort layer to support your shoulders and hips and enough firmness if you switch to your stomach and back.
As I have already mentioned, this mattress now includes Zoned Support which provides your body with optimal support in the areas where it is needed most such as your hips, back, and shoulders.
The new Casper mattress is much more comfortable than its predecessor which is largely due to the removal of the latex layer and including highest-quality foam layers.
The open cell foam used in the top comfort layer provides cooling and breathability and makes the mattress feel very comfortable for all types of sleepers.
The layer of responsive foam provides enough bounce and responsiveness needed when switching positions during the night and supporting your weight with ease, especially if you are a heavier sleeper like Andrew (230lbs) without causing too much motion transfer. All this makes this mattress excellent for sex as well.
The Casper has that classic memory foam body contouring and hug feel without causing the “sinking down into a hole” feel that traditional memory foam mattresses often tend to cause.
Although some review sites describe the Casper as being firm, we feel it is of perfect firmness with its responsive memory foam providing necessary bounce and responsiveness while cradling your body and creating that well-known feeling of hug typical for memory foam.
All in all, the new Casper is a comfortable, supportive and cool sleeping mattress that will provide you with a comfortable and sound sleep and the much-needed rest.
Being designed to sleep cool through advanced testing and molecular engineering, the Casper mattress does a great job at not sleeping hot. The open-cell foam used in the top comfort and cooling layer helps promote airflow throughout the night and prevent heat retention.
Casper even went so far as to have the thermal resistance tested by a third party lab, Element Materials Technology, and found it outperformed competitors.
As a couple living in Texas, we are very tough when it comes to beds that sleep hot and don’t do what they advertise, but the Casper does exactly what it says – it does not sleep hot at all. Just like it is the case with the Layla, the unique design and construction of this mattress prevents the buildup of heat and eliminates sweating during the night and the feeling of stickiness typical for most memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Although sinkage is largely weight dependent which means that heavier people will experience a larger degree of it than lighter people, the Casper does an excellent job at preventing excessive sinkage and preventing Andrew from bottoming out the mattress and rolling off its edges even though it is only 10″ thick.
Replacing the latex layer with foam did a great job at making the mattress responsive without causing excessive motion transfer, which makes it especially good for couples.
As mentioned, edge support is also great with this mattress, and better than in most all foam 10″ mattresses we have reviewed. The high-density foams used in its construction do a good job at providing even support throughout the mattress, including the edges and preventing us from rolling off them and Andrew from bottoming out the mattress.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Casper mattress gets high marks in this category for not having too much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box which most memory foam mattresses tend to have due to their construction and their plastic packages. With this mattress, there was markedly less off-gassing and odor which was rather surprising to us given its all foam construction.
- Engineered in-house at Casper Labs
- Designed and assembled in the USA
- Compatible with Casper sheets, pillow, duvet, foundation, and adjustable bed frame.
- 100 night Trial period
- 10 Year warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- Certi-Pur certified
The Casper mattress is very reasonably priced, coming in at $995 for a Queen, which is an excellent price given the quality of the materials used in the construction of this bed.
Layla vs. Casper Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Layla vs. Casper mattress.
|Layers||3″ of high density copper infused memory foam, 2″ of convoluted foam, 4″ of 2.o ILD Poly Base foam, 1″ of the same high density copper infused memory||1.5″ of open cell foam, 1.5″ of responsive memory foam, 1.5″ of Zoned Support memory foam|
|Cover||Soft and comfortable cover, lined with THERMOgel technology||Thick, dimpled and removable, made of a soft polyester blend|
|Firmness||5-8 out of 10||6.5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Minimal|
|Trial Period||120 days||100 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Free returns||100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Layla mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel – Both the firm and the sides of the Layla contain copper infused memory foam that provides pressure relief. Its soft cover and the all foam construction allow you to sink in the mattress to a certain degree and provide you with the classic memory foam feel of contouring without the feeling of being trapped.
- Sleeping cool – The THERMOgel infused cover of this mattress and the use of cooper-infused foam in its construction prevent heat build-up, regulate the temperature and eliminate the sticky feeling that most all-foam mattresses cause.
- Adjustable mattress – The Layla could be an excellent choice for you if you are not sure which firmness level is right for you as it gives you the possibility to go from a soft to a firm feel in the same bed simply by turning the mattress over.
- Sharing your bed – The Layla mattress due to its all-foam construction causes very minimal motion transfer when changing positions or getting in and our of bed during the night, and it can be a great choice if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner.
Choose Casper mattress if you like:
- A supportive mattress – This mattress provides enough support in the comfort layers without making you compress through them, and it is suitable for all sleeping styles. It also includes Zoned Support which provides your body with optimal support in the areas where it is needed most such as your hips, back, and shoulders.
- Memory foam feel – The top comfort layer of the Casper mattress made of responsive memory foam creates that classic memory foam body contouring and hug feel without causing the feeling of being trapped in foam that traditional memory foam mattresses often tend to cause.
- A mattress that sleeps cool – The Casper mattress sleeps incredibly cool throughout the entire night. The open-cell foam used in the top comfort and cooling layer works together with a dimpled cover to promote airflow through the mattress, prevent heat retention, and create a cool and comfortable sleep surface necessary for a quality and sound night’s sleep.