IDLE Sleep Hybrid vs. Saatva
We are back with another comparison. In today’s review we take a look at two luxury and durable hybrid mattresses offered by two popular mattress companies: IDLE Sleep Hybrid and Saatva.
The IDLE Sleep Hybrid is a new pocketed coil and foam hybrid that comes with a unique flippable design, while the Saatva is a unique innerspring bed that features an unusual coil-on-coil design to create a supportive and comfortable sleeping surface.
Read our review and find out which mattress would be a better pick for your needs and sleep preferences. Last updated
IDLE Sleep Hybrid
Construction and Materials
The IDLE hybrid mattress is a 14″ hybrid pocketed coil and foam mattress made up of various layers of foam and pocketed coils, with the top comfort layers which are basically duplicated when flipped over.
- A Natural Fire Resistant Barrier – Beneath the cover there is a natural fire resistant barrier that is free of carcinogenic chemicals, gases, toxins, HCN, HCI, and bromine.
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of contouring IDLE foam that is quilted into the cover and designed to provide softness and comfort to the top layer of the mattress.
- 2″ Cooling & Pressure Relief layer – This layer is 2″ of IDLE Cooling Buoyancy foam, a custom blend of foam that reacts faster than memory foam, provides better support, promises 4x better pressure relief than traditional memory foam and also helps provide more cooling to the mattress.
- 1″ Supportive Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of the special foam that provides support and serves as the transition layer between the top comfort layers of memory foam and pocketed coil system below.
- 6″ Support Layer – This layer is 6″ of Quantum edge-to-edge high quality steel pocketed innerspring coils sandwiched between the layers of foam that acts as the core support to the mattress and provides deep compression support with great edge support.
- 1″ Supportive Transition Layer – same as top layers
- 2″ Cooling and Pressure Relief layer – same as the top layers
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – same as top layers
- A Natural Fire Resistant Barrier
The cover of the IDLE Sleep hybrid mattress is infused with Thermocool – a material that aids in heat dissipation and acts as phase-change temperature regulating material that cools you when you’re warm, and warms you when you are cool.
It also features beautiful and durable carry handles and has a nice pattern on it that feels good and adds to the overall comfort and luxuriousness of this mattress. Click here and Check out our Idle Sleep Reviews.
Firmness and Support
The IDLE hybrid mattress comes in 2 different firmness options, Medium and Luxury Firm. We tested the medium firm model, and rate it around a 6.5 out of 10 (10 being firmest). The company says it is more of a 5.5 / 6, but in our experience, and like many hybrid models, it feels firmer.
In terms of support, the IDLE mattress does a really good job of providing excellent support in all sleeping positions, with the top memory foam comfort layers providing body hug and contour with the underlying spring support layer providing the deep compression support for the body.
The IDLE Sleep Hybrid mattress is a rather comfortable mattress designed to provide the “best of both worlds”, the feel of the bounce and support of innerspring coils and the body hug and contour of memory foam.
The nice 14″ thickness of this mattress with its high quality pocketed coil support layer does a really good job of providing excellent support in all sleeping positions, with the top memory foam comfort layers providing body hug and contour and the underlying spring support layer providing the deep compression support for the body.
Various cooling technologies used in the construction of this mattress make it sleep incredibly cool.
The Thermocool infused top layer as well as the IDLE Cooling Buoyancy foam, combined with the innerspring coil layer which by design provides good airflow and discourages heat retention, all contribute to helping this bed sleep much cooler than many models we have tested.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
This mattress does an good job with sinkage, especially compared to most mattresses we have reviewed. Its thick 14″ design and high quality coil construction along with layers of foam that helps minimize sinkage to the least bit.
Edge support is also very good with this mattress due to the edge-to-edge Quantum Coil design of the mattress.
As for the motion transfer, it is a little bit higher than in most memory foam mattresses we have reviewed, but it is to be expected with the hybrid construction of this mattress which naturally provides more bounce than the full foam or latex mattresses due to the innerspring coils in its construction.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The IDLE Sleep Hybrid gets high marks in this category for not having a noticeable smell upon opening the box. Its hybrid construction minimizes the degree of off-gassing typical for memory foam mattresses.
- 18 Full Month Home Trial
- Lifetime Warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- American made
The IDLE Sleep Hybrid is pretty reasonably priced and comes in at $1420 for a Queen. This is a good price given the quality materials and construction used in this mattress.
Construction and Materials
The Saatva mattress is available in a 14.5-inch Premier Luxury and 11.5-inch Custom Slim height. Both options offer the same feel and firmness levels, but only the 11.5-inch version is compatible with an adjustable base which the company has available for sale on their website.
The Saatva 11.5-inch version consists of:
- Individually wrapped comfort coil layer – This layer is made of individually wrapped coils that provide gentle, but firm support. They are responsive and do a great job of providing support to the parts of your body where it is needed most. They conform to your weight and contour to your body as you lay down while providing some bounce to the mattress so you won’t feel stuck while adjusting your position. They also prevent excessive motion transfer due to their pocketed nature.
- Dual perimeter edge support system – The Saatva mattress uses a Dual Perimeter Edge Support System that is a foam encased anti-sag edge support system which makes the mattress more durable, provides more sleep surface and enhances edge support.
- Lumbar support enhancement – This layer is made of the highest-quality comfort foam that provides additional pressure relief and serves as a transition from the soft pillow top above to the coils below. The convoluted design of this layer cushions the lower back and reduces stress and tension, and it allows greater airflow through the mattress to enhance cooling.
- Steel coil base support system – This layer is made of steel hourglass-shaped support coils meant to prevent sagging, increase the durability of the mattress and provide additional support to the sleeper and the layers above. The tall coil layer creates a lot of space in the mattress which helps with air circulation and cooling. When combined with the pocketed coil layer above, it creates a coil-on-coil structure which makes the mattress more responsive and gives it a nice amount of bounce.
- Euro pillow top comfort layer – This layer is made of a plush and luxurious cushioning materials inserted underneath the outer covering for a neater look. This pillow top is very breathable and more convenient than regular pillow tops as it is quilted tghtly into the mattress itself which prevents shifting and provides consistent comfort and extraordinary pressure relief.
The cover of the Saatva mattress is made from soft and breathable 100% organic cotton. It is quilted with foam and connected directly to the mattress to create that Euro pillow top.
Firmness and Support
As for the firmness of the Saatva mattress, it can be customized at the time when you order your mattress, and you can choose between three firmness options: Firm, Luxury Firm, and Plush Soft.
The one we slept on was the Luxury Firm model, and we felt it to be around a 7 on the firmness scale (10 being the firmest).
When we compare the Saatva to the IDLE Sleep Hybrid, we can say that this mattress too provides excellent support in all sleeping positions and for all sleeping styles.
We felt that the Saatva mattress ensured optimal sleeping conditions. It distributed our weights evenly across the bed and provided us with the right level of support and comfort necessary for a sound and quality sleep.
The Saatva mattress is, just like the IDLE Sleep Hybrid, extremely comfortable.
It provides a very balanced feel as it offers a nice balance of comfort and support. The firm hourglass-shaped coils combined with the pocketed coil layer above work to keep your spine properly aligned, lift your body and create the feeling of sleeping on the top of a mattress rather than inside it.
Its soft pillow top cradles your body, but doesn’t excessively hug it so you won’t feel enveloped by the mattress.
The Saatva mattress sleep rather cool due to its extremely soft and breathable cotton cover that wicks away moisture and heat.
In addition, there is the layer of convoluted foam designed to increase airflow through the mattress and disperse bodily heat and two layers of coils that promote free circulation of air through the mattress to help keep the mattress cool and create a cool and comfortable sleeping surface.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Saatva mattress does a good job of preventing excessive sinkage due to its 11.5″ thick construction which prevented Andrew from bottoming it out. The premium layers of foam and the unique coil-on-coil construction of this mattress did an amazing job at preventing sinkage in the least bit.
Edge support is also excellent with the Saatva mattress due to its Dual Perimeter Edge Support System that provides superior support, prevents sagging and increases the durability of the mattress.
As for the motion transfer, motion transfer with this mattress is more pronounced than in all foam mattresses we have reviewed, but this is to be expected due to its innerspring nature which creates more bounce and responsiveness than foam or latex.
As for off-gassing, the Saatva mattress is an absolute winner in this category for not having any off-gassing smell at all.
The Saatva doesn’t have any noticeable smell as the company ships their mattresses uncompressed in their natural form. So, your mattress will be delivered directly to your doorstep and installed by professionals in your home.
- 180 night sleep trial
- 15 year warranty
- Direct in-home delivery and setup with mattress removal
- Made in the USA
The Saatva mattress comes in at only $1399 for a Queen which is quite surprising given the exceptional quality of materials used in its construction and direct-to-home shipping and installation.
IDLE Sleep Hybrid vs. Saatva Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the IDLE Sleep Hybrid vs. Saatva mattress.
|IDLE Sleep Hybrid||Saatva|
|Layers||A natural fire resistant barrier, 1″ of contouring IDLE foam, 2″ of IDLE Cooling Buoyancy foam, 1" Supportive Transition foam, 6″ of Quantum edge-to-edge high quality steel pocketed innerspring coils, 1" Supportive Transition foam, 2″ of IDLE Cooling Buoyancy foam, 1″ of contouring IDLE foam, a natural fire resistant barrier||Layer of individually wrapped coils, Dual perimeter edge support system, layer of highest-quality comfort foam, layer of steel hourglass-shaped support coils, Euro pillow top comfort layer made of a plush and luxurious cushioning materials|
|Cover||Soft and breathable, infused with Thermocool||Made from soft and breathable 100% organic cotton and quilted with foam and connected directly to the mattress to create that Euro pillow top|
|Motion Transfer||Some motion transfer||Some motion transfer|
|Trial Period||18 Full Month Home Trial||180 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Direct in-home delivery and setup with mattress removal|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose the IDLE Sleep Hybrid mattress if you like:
- Mattresses suitable for all sleeping styles – The IDLE Sleep mattress provides two firmness options, a medium firm model with good support for all sleeping styles and a higher degree of bounce and responsiveness and firmer model that provides IDLE provides better support for back and stomach sleepers, as well as for heavier sleepers.
- Mattresses that sleep cool – The Thermocool infused top layer and IDLE Cooling Buoyancy foam, combined with the innerspring coil layer which by design provides good airflow and discourages heat retention, all make this bed sleep rather cool.
- Classic memory foam feel – The top foam layers of this mattress will provide that classic memory foam feel of hugging and contour and excellent pressure relief, but they won’t cause you to sink too much into the bed and feel enveloped by it.
- Durable beds – A unique 2-sided design of the IDLE Hybrid, which gives you the possibility to flip it over from time to time, allows even wearing and increases the durability of this mattress.
Choose the Saatva mattress if you like:
- Mattresses for heavier sleepers – The Saatva mattress offers an ideal balance of support and pressure relief and is perfect for heavier sleepers who want to enjoy the cradling and cushioning feel of memory foam without sinking too much into the mattress and feeling enveloped by it.
- Firm but comfortable mattresses good for back pain – The Saatva is perfect for people with back pain who are looking for a firm but comfortable mattress. It features additional layer of memory foam in the lumbar part to provide better support to the lower back and keep the whole spine properly aligned.
- Durable mattresses – The coil-on-coil design of the Saatva makes it especially stable and supportive, and it also protects it from sagging, while its special Dual Perimeter Edge Support System contributes to this and increases the durability of this mattress.