IDLE Sleep Hybrid vs. Helix Midnight Luxe
In this review we will focus on two highest-quality hybrid beds: IDLE Sleep Hybrid and Helix Midnight Luxe.
The Helix Midnight Luxe is the new hybrid mattress by Helix Sleep that has recently hit the market with some great features, while the IDLE Sleep Hybrid promises high quality materials and construction in a premium mattress that sleeps cool and at an affordable price, with the added bonus of allowing you to flip the mattress over to extend the life of it.
Read our comparison and find out which one would work better for you? Last updated
IDLE Sleep Hybrid
Construction and Materials
The IDLE hybrid mattress is a 14″ hybrid pocketed coil and foam mattress made up of various layers of foam and pocketed coils, with the top comfort layers which are basically duplicated when flipped over.
- A Natural Fire Resistant Barrier – Beneath the cover there is a natural fire resistant barrier that is free of carcinogenic chemicals, gases, toxins, HCN, HCI, and bromine.
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of contouring IDLE foam that is quilted into the cover and designed to provide softness and comfort to the top layer of the mattress.
- 2″ Cooling & Pressure Relief layer – This layer is 2″ of IDLE Cooling Buoyancy foam, a custom blend of foam that reacts faster than memory foam, provides better support, promises 4x better pressure relief than traditional memory foam and also helps provide more cooling to the mattress.
- 1″ Supportive Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of the special foam that provides support and serves as the transition layer between the top comfort layers of memory foam and pocketed coil system below.
- 6″ Support Layer – This layer is 6″ of Quantum edge-to-edge high quality steel pocketed innerspring coils sandwiched between the layers of foam that acts as the core support to the mattress and provides deep compression support with great edge support.
- 1″ Supportive Transition Layer – same as top layers
- 2″ Cooling and Pressure Relief layer – same as the top layers
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – same as top layers
- A Natural Fire Resistant Barrier
The cover of the IDLE Sleep hybrid mattress is infused with Thermocool – a material that aids in heat dissipation and acts as phase-change temperature regulating material that cools you when you’re warm, and warms you when you are cool.
It also features beautiful and durable carry handles and has a nice pattern on it that feels good and adds to the overall comfort and luxuriousness of this mattress.
Firmness and Support
The IDLE hybrid mattress comes in 2 different firmness options, Medium and Luxury Firm. We tested the medium firm model, and rate it around a 6.5 out of 10 (10 being firmest). The company says it is more of a 5.5 / 6, but in our experience, and like many hybrid models, it feels firmer.
In terms of support, the IDLE mattress does a really good job of providing excellent support in all sleeping positions, with the top memory foam comfort layers providing body hug and contour with the underlying spring support layer providing the deep compression support for the body.
The IDLE Sleep Hybrid mattress is a rather comfortable mattress designed to provide the “best of both worlds”, the feel of the bounce and support of innerspring coils and the body hug and contour of memory foam.
The nice 14″ thickness of this mattress with its high quality pocketed coil support layer does a really good job of providing excellent support in all sleeping positions, with the top memory foam comfort layers providing body hug and contour and the underlying spring support layer providing the deep compression support for the body.
Various cooling technologies used in the construction of this mattress make it sleep incredibly cool.
The Thermocool infused top layer as well as the IDLE Cooling Buoyancy foam, combined with the innerspring coil layer which by design provides good airflow and discourages heat retention, all contribute to helping this bed sleep much cooler than many models we have tested.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
This mattress does an good job with sinkage, especially compared to most mattresses we have reviewed. Its thick 14″ design and high quality coil construction along with layers of foam that helps minimize sinkage to the least bit.
Edge support is also very good with this mattress due to the edge-to-edge Quantum Coil design of the mattress.
As for the motion transfer, it is a little bit higher than in most memory foam mattresses we have reviewed, but it is to be expected with the hybrid construction of this mattress which naturally provides more bounce than the full foam or latex mattresses due to the innerspring coils in its construction.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The IDLE Sleep Hybrid gets high marks in this category for not having a noticeable smell upon opening the box. Its hybrid construction minimizes the degree of off-gassing typical for memory foam mattresses.
- 18 Full Month Home Trial
- Lifetime Warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- American made
The IDLE Sleep Hybrid is pretty reasonably priced and comes in at $1299 for a Queen. This is a good price given the quality materials and construction used in this mattress.
Click here to read the full IDLE Sleep Hybrid mattress review.
Helix Midnight Luxe
Construction and Materials
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is a 14″ hybrid mattress made up of gel memory foam, 1000 + pocketed coils, and foam. It consists of the following layers:
- 1″ Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of Gel memory foam that is extremely soft and designed to provide pressure relief and increase the overall comfort of this mattress.
- 2″ Support Layer – This layer is 2″ of Memory Plus Foam, designed to cushion and support your body.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of high-density High-Grade Polyfoam, designed to provide ergonomic support, contour to your body and serve as a transition layer between the top comfort foam layers and firmer coils bellow. It also allows a seamless progression of your body weight into the mattress.
- 8″ Zoned Body Shape Layer – This layer is 8″ of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping and limit excessive motion transfer. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.
- 1″ Base Layer – This layer is 1″ of DuraDense high density support foam that serves as the foundation and support for the mattress and increases its durability and stability.
The cover of the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is extremely soft 1-inch quilted premium pillow top made up of high-density polyurethane foam.
It increases the overall comfort of this mattress and the Ultra Breathable technology that it incorporates helps increase the airflow through the mattress and keeps you cool all night long.
Firmness and Support
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers and we felt it to be a medium firm mattress, falling somewhere around a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being the firmest).
The soft pillow top combined with the gel memory foam comfort layer below a soft feel and allowed me to sink into a mattress to a certain degree for a perfect pressure relief.
The slightly firmer support and transition layers beneath with the pocketed coil layer did an excellent job of providing extraordinary support to those areas of my body where I needed it most.
Zoning technology used in the coil layer offered a softer feel under shoulders and firmer under hips which made this mattress perfect for side sleeping. In addition these layers lifted Andrew’s heavy weight and our weights combined as a couple with ease and helped distribute them evenly across the bed.
All in all, it did a great job of meeting our individual firmness and support needs and provided us with what each of us enjoy in the same bed.
Just like the IDLE Sleep Hybrid, the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is extremely comfortable in that its unique construction and quality materials provide a medium feel and a perfect balance of comfort and support.
The premium quilted pillow top increases the overall comfort of this mattress and gives the feeling of sleeping on clouds and eliminates any possibility of the appearance of pressure points.
It also has a nice degree of responsiveness that facilitates moving around in bed during the night and makes this mattress perfect for sex.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress does an excellent job at sleeping cool, just like the IDLE Sleep Hybrid, due to its pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat and a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow, create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Helix Midnight Luxe does a great job of minimizing the amount of sinkage and motion transfer.
It is true that Andrew compressed the pillow top and comfort layer beneath it quite a bit, but the firmer support and transition layers combined with the pocketed coils prevented him from sinking further into the mattress and feeling enveloped by it.
These layers lifted his heavy weight with ease and distributed it evenly across the bed while the zoned technology of the pocketed coil layer provided just the right amount of support to those areas of his body where he needed it most. I felt the mattress did the same for me.
Edge support is excellent with this mattress and better than with many other beds we have reviewed so far due to the quality pocketed coils used in its construction.
There wasn’t too much motion transfer with this mattress due to its unique construction that prevented any sleep disturbance.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Helix Midnight Luxe gets high marks in this category for not having much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box. Its hybrid design significantly reduced the amount of of-gassing and any smell that was present dissipated within a few hours.
Helix Sleep provides about the standard amount of customer service you can expect in a “Bed In A Box” online mattress retailer. This includes:
- 100 Night Sleep Trial
- 15 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- Free Shipping
- Money back guarantee
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is priced a bit higher and comes in at $1649 for a Queen.
However, for the level of customization you get and for a mattress of such a unique construction and highest-quality materials that are used in its construction, this is more than a reasonable price.
Click here to read the full Helix Midnight Luxe mattress review.
IDLE Sleep Hybrid vs. Helix Midnight Luxe Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the IDLE Sleep Hybrid vs. Helix Midnight Luxe mattress.
|IDLE Sleep Hybrid||Helix Midnight Luxe|
|Layers||A natural fire resistant barrier, 1″ of contouring IDLE foam, 2″ of IDLE Cooling Buoyancy foam, 1" Supportive Transition foam, 6″ of Quantum edge-to-edge high quality steel pocketed innerspring coils, 1" Supportive Transition foam, 2″ of IDLE Cooling Buoyancy foam, 1″ of contouring IDLE foam, a natural fire resistant barrier||1″ of Gel memory foam, 2″ of Memory Plus Foam, 1″ of high-density High-Grade Polyfoam, 8″ of individually wrapped coils, 1″ of DuraDense high density support foam|
|Cover||Soft and breathable, infused with Thermocool||An extremely soft 1-inch quilted premium pillow top made up of high-density polyurethane foam|
|Motion Transfer||Some motion transfer||Some motion transfer|
|Trial Period||18 Full Month Home Trial||100 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose the IDLE Sleep Hybrid mattress if you like:
- Mattresses suitable for all sleeping styles – The IDLE Sleep mattress provides two firmness options, a medium firm model with good support for all sleeping styles and a higher degree of bounce and responsiveness and firmer model that provides IDLE provides better support for back and stomach sleepers, as well as for heavier sleepers.
- Mattresses that sleep cool – The Thermocool infused top layer and IDLE Cooling Buoyancy foam, combined with the innerspring coil layer which by design provides good airflow and discourages heat retention, all make this bed sleep rather cool.
- Classic memory foam feel – The top foam layers of this mattress will provide that classic memory foam feel of hugging and contour and excellent pressure relief, but they won’t cause you to sink too much into the bed and feel enveloped by it.
- Durable beds – A unique 2-sided design of the IDLE Hybrid, which gives you the possibility to flip it over from time to time, allows even wearing and increases the durability of this mattress.
Choose the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress if you like:
- Sleeping on your side and back – This mattress provides the support necessary for side sleeping and back sleeping without causing any discomfort in hips and shoulders that some mattresses often cause. The plush top comfort layers provide perfect pressure relief for hips and shoulders while pocketed coil system lifts your body weight and provides excellent support.
- A mattress that sleeps cool – The Helix Midnight Luxe sleeps quite cool due to its unique pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat and a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow through the top of the mattress in order to create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
- Beds with excellent support – This mattress features an 8″ thick Zoned Body Shape layer consisting of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.