IDLE Sleep Gel Plush vs. Puffy
In this review we take a look at the IDLE Sleep Gel Plush and Puffy, two all foam mattresses made of the highest quality foams and that come in at an affordable price range.
While the Gel Plush is a 14″ gel infused mattress blended with 100% natural 500GSM IceCool cotton cover that will provide you with the feeling of sleeping on clouds and help you stay refreshed all night long, the Puffy promises a great sleep at more than a reasonable price and is designed to suit a wide range of sleepers with different sleep preferences.
Read our review and find out which one would be a better choice for you. Last updated
IDLE Sleep Gel Plush
Construction and Materials
The Idle Gel Plush is a 14″ all foam mattress made up of the following layers:
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of custom blended foam with gel infusion that is sewn into a cover and designed to react faster than memory foam and provide better support, pressure relief and cooler sleep.
- Natural Fire Resistant Barrier – Right below the top comfort layer of cooling buoyancy foam there is a 100% natural cotton barrier that doesn’t contain any harmful and artificial chemicals and materials and that wraps around all other layers.
- 3″ Response Layer – This layer is 3″ of Idle Gel-Infused Buoyancy Foam that is the company’s custom blend foam designed to be more responsive than memory foam which makes changing positions and getting in and out of bed during the night much easier. It also doesn’t retain heat, provides a better support than traditional memory foam and better pressure relief.
- 3″ Support Layer – This layer is 3″ of the special memory foam designed to provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It also doesn’t retain heat and has a quick response to pressure.
- 8″ Base Layer – This layer is 8″ of durable high-density foam that provides deep compression support and minimizes motion transfer. It also serves as the foundation for the layers above and provides greater durability and stability to the mattress.
- Fireproof Cloth – Here again we have a 100% natural fireproof cotton barrier.
The cover of the IDLE Gel Plush mattress is a special IceFabric cover that is sewn into the quilted surface and and that wraps the Idle buoyancy foam. It is extremely soft, cool and pleasant to the touch and adds to the overall comfort and luxuriousness of this mattress.
Firmness and Support
This mattress comes in only one firmness option and we rate it at a 5,5 out of 10 (10 being the firmest).
It feels like a medium-firm mattress, although it is more on a softer side. Its quilted top comfort layer and the gel-infused foam layer below provide a soft feel and cradle your body to relieve pressure points while the slightly firmer support and base layers provide firmer support below.
In terms of support, the Idle Gel Plush mattress does a really good job of providing excellent support in all sleeping positions.
The IDLE Gel Plush mattress is quite comfortable with the soft quilted top and foam layer cradling your body and relieving pressure points and the support layer of memory foam and base layer below providing good support necessary for all sleeping positions.
The soft quilted top layer will provide you with the feeling of sleeping on clouds and eliminate any pain and discomfort while the special Idle buoyant foams will also provide a nice degree of bounce and responsiveness which facilitates changing positions during the night and getting in and out of bed and makes this mattress good for sex.
Various gel-infused cooling buoyancy foams used in the construction of this mattress make it sleep incredibly cool.
They not only provide extraordinary pressure relief, but also work with the special cover to keep the mattress cool and prevent the build up of heat and that sticky, sweaty feeling typical for many all foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The IDLE Gel Plush mattress does a good job with sinkage. Although Andrew compressed the top foam layers quite a bit, he couldn’t feel the firm base layer below.
The edge support with this mattress is also good when compared to other mattresses.
As for motion transfer, it was minimal with this mattress, although there is a nice degree of bounce and responsiveness coming from its responsive and buoyant foams.
Smell / Off-Gassing
This mattress gets high marks for not having too much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box.
The company uses only Natural, CentiPUR-US certified foams which significantly minimizes the degree of off-gassing that all foam mattresses usually have.
- 18 Full Month Home Trial
- Lifetime Warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- American made
The IDLE Sleep Gel Plush comes in at $995. But, this is a good price given the highest-quality materials used in the construction of this mattress and the overall comfort and luxuriousness that it provides.
Construction and Materials
The Puffy is a 10″ mattress made of 3 layers of proprietary designed memory foam:
- 2″ Top Cooling layer – The top layer is made of 2″ of patent pending Cooling Cloud gel-infused memory foam designed to disperse heat away from your body by using convection and conduction and allow more effective airflow through the mattress for better cooling and comfort.
- 2″ Climate-Adaptive Regulation foam layer – This layer is made of 2″ of special Climate-Adaptive Regulation foam that provides extraordinary pressure relief on all temperature and humidity levels which makes it resistant to contractions and expansions that often occur from extreme temperatures.
- 6″ Bottom layer – This foundation layer is made of 6″ of dense support foam, that is designed to be responsive and the company claims 4x the support of traditional support foam layers.
The new, upgraded Puffy comes with an all-new Stain Resistant cover that allows you to easily wipe up all the spills. It is extremely soft and works together with the foam layers to provide a cool surface and comfort as well as wick way heat and moisture.
Besides this, their Zip-N-Wash cover allows for seasonal deep cleaning to remove dirt and germs that build up from regular use.
Firmness and Support
Just like the IDLE Sleep Gel Plush, the Puffy is a universal comfort type memory foam mattress, designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers. We felt it was a medium soft mattress, coming in around a 5/6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being firmest).
As always, firmness is largerly weight dependent, and Andrew compressed the top comfort layer of the Puffy mattress more than I did as he weights considerably more than I (230lbs vs. 115), and while the Puffy was more on the softer side for Andrew as its top comfort layer compressed quite a bit under his weight, for me it was of the perfect firmness.
Andrew’s weight was fairly distributed when lying on the mattress and it didn’t cause him to bottom out which is often the case with the lower quality 10″ all foam mattresses.
As I have already mentioned when lying his weight was fairly distributed across the bed, and the Puffy worked well for us as side sleepers by supporting our hips and shoulders without causing numbness or stiffness which is often the case with firmer mattresses.
The new, upgraded Puffy is a rather comfortable mattress. Its top comfort layer of foam provides a bit of responsiveness and bounce without causing too much sinkage typical for most memory foam mattresses.
In addition, the mattress has a very soft and comfortable exterior that works together with the top comfort layer and the special new Climate-Adaptive Regulation layer to provide a pressure relieving and comfortable sleeping surface.
The softness of the cover combined with the initial soft response from the memory foam layers does a great job at providing a comfortable night’s sleep.
The Puffy mattress sleeps quite cool, just like the IDLE Sleep Gel Plush, due to its thin cover and the presence of the gel-infused foam layer designed to provide air flow and breathability.
In addition, the Climate-Adaptive Regulation foam layer made of temperature and humidity-resistant materials is designed to combat climate fluctuations and prevent any sleep disruptions related to that.
It doesn’t retains heat and it does not cause sweating and the feeling of stickiness usually present with memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
As for sinkage, there was a minimal amount of it, but it was nothing too extreme. It is true that Andrew quickly compressed its soft top comfort layer, but the slightly firmer Climate-Adaptive layer and the firm base layer below prevented him from sinking even further into the mattress and bottoming out, especially when sitting or lying near the edge.
The mattress also did not cause me to roll towards Andrew or make me feel as if I was sinking into a hole.
There was some motion transfer with the Puffy when Andrew adjusted positions during the night which, again, is to be expected due to our weight disparity, but there was not too much of it given its all foam construction designed to isolate and minimize motion transfer.
Smell / Off-Gassing
There was a small degree of off-gassing/smell, but it was nothing overpowering when compared to some other mattresses we have reviewed, so the Puffy mattress gets high marks in this category.
- Shipping – free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days
- Lifetime Warranty
- 101 Night Sleep Trial Period
- Made in the USA
The Puffy mattress comes in $850 for a queen, which is a very reasonable price given its overall comfort and quality materials used in its construction.
IDLE Sleep Gel Plush vs. Puffy Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the IDLE Sleep Gel Plush vs. Puffy mattress.
|IDLE Sleep Gel Plush||Puffy|
|Layers||1″ of custom blended foam with gel infusion, a 100% natural cotton barrier, 3″ of Idle Gel-Infused Buoyancy Foam, 3″ of the special memory foam, 8″ of durable high-density foam, a 100% natural fireproof cotton barrier||3″ of patent-pending Cooling Cloud gel-infused memory foam, 7″ of dense support foam|
|Cover||A special IceFabric cover that is sewn into the quilted surface and that is made of 500GSM pure cotton||Extremely soft, heat and moisture wicking cover|
|Firmness||5.5||5-6 out of 10|
|Trial Period||18 Full Month Home Trial||101 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose the IDLE Sleep Gel Plush mattress if you like:
- Classic memory foam feel – This mattress features various layers of special foams that will provide the softness and that classic memory foam feel that will make you get the impression of sleeping on clouds.
- Pressure relieving mattresses – This mattress will cushion and cradle your body to relieve your pressure points and provide you with a relaxed and painless sleeping experience.
- All foam mattresses that sleep cool – The IDLE Sleep Gel Plush mattress features unique breathable cover and special cooling technologies that will keep you cool and comfortable all night long.
Choose Puffy mattress if you like:
- Softer mattresses – The Puffy mattress scores 5-6 on a firmness scale (10 being the firmest) which places it more on a softer side. It may work perfectly for you if you are a sleeper of a lighter weight. It will provide you with pressure point relief and a good balance of support and comfort necessary for all sleeping positions.
- Memory foam feel – The Puffy is an all foam mattress that will provide you with deep compression support, contouring and the hugging feeling typical for memory foam mattresses, but it will not cause you to sink too much and feel trapped in foam.
- Cool-sleeping mattresses – A thin and breathable cover of this mattress and the presence of the gel-infused foam layer make it sleep quite cool. It retains a minimal amount of heat and does not cause sweating and the feeling of stickiness typical for memory foam mattresses.