IDLE Sleep Gel Plush vs. Loom and Leaf
Are you looking for a new all foam mattress? Have you considered getting the incredible IDLE Sleep Gel Plush or one of the luxurious Loom and Leaf beds?
Both are premium all foam options, and both incorporate unique technologies that can keep you cool and comfortable all night long.
While the Gel Plush is a 14″ gel infused mattress blended with 100% natural 500GSM IceCool cotton cover that will provide you with the feeling of sleeping on clouds and help you stay refreshed all night long, the Loom and Leaf mattress offers great support, looks and feels gorgeous, and provides a comfort and cooling that is difficult to beat at this price point.
Read our review and find out which one would be a better choice for you. Last updated
IDLE Sleep Gel Plush
Construction and Materials
The Idle Gel Plush is a 14″ all foam mattress made up of the following layers:
- 1″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of custom blended foam with gel infusion that is sewn into a cover and designed to react faster than memory foam and provide better support, pressure relief and cooler sleep.
- Natural Fire Resistant Barrier – Right below the top comfort layer of cooling buoyancy foam there is a 100% natural cotton barrier that doesn’t contain any harmful and artificial chemicals and materials and that wraps around all other layers.
- 3″ Response Layer – This layer is 3″ of Idle Gel-Infused Buoyancy Foam that is the company’s custom blend foam designed to be more responsive than memory foam which makes changing positions and getting in and out of bed during the night much easier. It also doesn’t retain heat, provides a better support than traditional memory foam and better pressure relief.
- 3″ Support Layer – This layer is 3″ of the special memory foam designed to provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It also doesn’t retain heat and has a quick response to pressure.
- 8″ Base Layer – This layer is 8″ of durable high-density foam that provides deep compression support and minimizes motion transfer. It also serves as the foundation for the layers above and provides greater durability and stability to the mattress.
- Fireproof Cloth – Here again we have a 100% natural fireproof cotton barrier.
The cover of the IDLE Gel Plush mattress is a special IceFabric cover that is sewn into the quilted surface and and that wraps the Idle buoyancy foam. It is extremely soft, cool and pleasant to the touch and adds to the overall comfort and luxuriousness of this mattress.
Firmness and Support
This mattress comes in only one firmness option and we rate it at a 5,5 out of 10 (10 being the firmest).
It feels like a medium-firm mattress, although it is more on a softer side. Its quilted top comfort layer and the gel-infused foam layer below provide a soft feel and cradle your body to relieve pressure points while the slightly firmer support and base layers provide firmer support below.
In terms of support, the Idle Gel Plush mattress does a really good job of providing excellent support in all sleeping positions.
The IDLE Gel Plush mattress is quite comfortable with the soft quilted top and foam layer cradling your body and relieving pressure points and the support layer of memory foam and base layer below providing good support necessary for all sleeping positions.
The soft quilted top layer will provide you with the feeling of sleeping on clouds and eliminate any pain and discomfort while the special Idle buoyant foams will also provide a nice degree of bounce and responsiveness which facilitates changing positions during the night and getting in and out of bed and makes this mattress good for sex.
Various gel-infused cooling buoyancy foams used in the construction of this mattress make it sleep incredibly cool.
They not only provide extraordinary pressure relief, but also work with the special cover to keep the mattress cool and prevent the build up of heat and that sticky, sweaty feeling typical for many all foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The IDLE Gel Plush mattress does a good job with sinkage. Although Andrew compressed the top foam layers quite a bit, he couldn’t feel the firm base layer below.
The edge support with this mattress is also good when compared to other mattresses.
As for motion transfer, it was minimal with this mattress, although there is a nice degree of bounce and responsiveness coming from its responsive and buoyant foams.
Smell / Off-Gassing
This mattress gets high marks for not having too much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box.
The company uses only Natural, CentiPUR-US certified foams which significantly minimizes the degree of off-gassing that all foam mattresses usually have.
- 18 Full Month Home Trial
- Lifetime Warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- American made
The IDLE Sleep Gel Plush comes in at $1000. But, this is a good price given the highest-quality materials used in the construction of this mattress and the overall comfort and luxuriousness that it provides.
Loom and Leaf
Construction and Materials
The Loom and Leaf is over 12″ thick and made up of 4 layers of memory foam:
- 2″ Top Cooling and Comfort Layer – This layer is a 2″ 4lb gel memory foam using a patented gel-on-gel swirl design and convoluted foam laminated to medical grade cooling gel which provides a cool, supportive sleep environment and promotes airflow furthering cooling.
- 2.5″ Mattress Core Layer – This layer is made of 2.5″ of 5lb visco-elastic memory foam for deep contouring support
- 2″ Transition Layer – This layer is a 2″ transition loft pad, which serves as a transfer layer between the base support layer and those layers above and provides better support and comfort overall.
- 5.5″ Bottom Foundation Layer – Thus layer is a 5.5″ high-density foam core base which acts as the foundation and support for the rest of the mattress.
The cover of the Loom and Leaf is vastly different from the normal thin covers of the most other memory foam mattresses. It is made from 100% organic cotton with a circular knit top, quilted with a 5/8” foam layer that provides a luxurious feel and acts as a natural flame retardant.
Firmness and Support
Unlike the IDLE Sleep Gel Plush mattress that comes in only one universal firmness option, the Loom and Leaf offers two firmness options: the Loom and Leaf Relaxed Firm, scoring 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest, and the Loom and Leaf Firm, which is an 8 out of 10. This makes the Loom and Leaf suitable for people with different firmness preferences and different body weights like Andrew and myself.
The thick construction and high-density foam of this mattress perfectly supported Andrew’s weight (230lbs) and our hips and shoulders and provided us with the necessary comfort and feeling of massage during the night.
The 12″ thickness of the Loom and Leaf, its tufted quilted cotton cover that includes a 5/8″ foam layer, the 6.5″ of specialty foams, and the exclusive gel cooling layer included in its construction make this mattress a very comfortable one.
When you first lay down on the Loom and Leaf you will feel an immediate softness due to the quilted cover with the foam layer, and the support layers will begin to sense your pressure and react accordingly providing you with a very balanced feel.
The Loom and Leaf will hug your body and provide it with a nice degree of contouring without causing the feeling of being trapped in the memory foam typical for most memory foam mattresses.
Most memory foam mattresses lead to the retention of heat and cause a sweaty sticky feeling, but this is not the case with the Loom and Leaf. This mattress, just like the IDLE Sleep Gel Plush, sleeps cool and eliminates any feeling of discomfort caused by a build-up of heat.
The exclusive cooling gel in the top layer of the Loom and Leaf, which is usually found in hospital burn units, allows maximum cooling and airflow and helps you stay cool and comfortable during the night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Sinkage and motion transfer on the Loom and Leaf depend on the model that you select (Relaxed Firm vs. Firm), as well as how much you weigh. The Relaxed Firm that we tested caused more sinkage when compared to the Firm model. But both models, thanks to their thick construction, did not cause us to sink down to the foundation of our bed like most of the other mattresses did.
Both Loom and Leaf models also do a good job of supporting heavier sleepers like my partner when sleeping or sitting near the edge, and they cause very minimal motion transfer with the high-quality dense foam construction doing a great job of insulating movement when turning or adjusting the positions during sleep.
Smell / Off-Gassing
As for smell/off-gassing, it is non-existent with the Loom and Leaf mattresses. They are shipped uncompressed in their natural form, which is not the case with other online mattress retailers and their memory foam mattresses that come compressed in plastic packages, so there is no any smell / off-gassing coming from the Loom and Leaf mattresses.
Customer service is something that Loom and Leaf prides itself on, and it gets high marks in this category. Upon putting your zip code on the site and determining whether the delivery is possible for your area, the mattresses are delivered directly to you by truck and professionally installed.
Other customer attributes include:
- 120-night sleep trial
- 15-year warranty
- Direct in-home delivery and setup with mattress removal
- Made in the USA
- Factory-direct pricing at Loomandleaf.com
The price of the Loom and Leaf mattresses comes in at $1699 for a queen. This is quite surprising given the exceptional quality materials used in their construction and the direct-to-home shipping and installation.
IDLE Sleep Gel Plush vs. Loom and Leaf Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the IDLE Sleep Gel Plush vs. Loom and Leaf mattress.
|IDLE Sleep Gel Plush||Loom and Leaf|
|Layers||1″ of custom blended foam with gel infusion, a 100% natural cotton barrier, 3″ of Idle Gel-Infused Buoyancy Foam, 3″ of the special memory foam, 8″ of durable high-density foam, a 100% natural fireproof cotton barrier||2″ 4lb gel memory foam, 2.5″ of 5lb visco-elastic memory foam, 2″ transition loft pad, 5.5″ high-density foam core base|
|Cover||A special IceFabric cover that is sewn into the quilted surface and that is made of 500GSM pure cotton||Made from 100% organic cotton with a circular knit top, quilted with a 5/8” foam layer|
|Firmness||5.5||Relaxed Firm: 6 out of 10
Firm: 8 out of 10
|Trial Period||18 Full Month Home Trial||120 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||$85-$99, full service in-home delivery|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose the IDLE Sleep Gel Plush mattress if you like:
- Classic memory foam feel – This mattress features various layers of special foams that will provide the softness and that classic memory foam feel that will make you get the impression of sleeping on clouds.
- Pressure relieving mattresses – This mattress will cushion and cradle your body to relieve your pressure points and provide you with a relaxed and painless sleeping experience.
- All foam mattresses that sleep cool – The IDLE Sleep Gel Plush mattress features unique breathable cover and special cooling technologies that will keep you cool and comfortable all night long.
Choose Loom and Leaf mattress if you like:
- A medium or hard firmness – The Loom & Leaf is available in two firmness options: a medium and firm. The medium is a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale and the hard is an 8 out of 10. This makes the Loom and Leaf mattresses suitable for people with different firmness preferences and different body weights.
- A balanced feel – The padded cover, thick comfort layer, and high-quality materials of this mattress create a balanced feel that will be enjoyable by most sleepers.
- A mattress that uses natural materials – The Loom and Leaf is known for using plant-based foams, organic cotton cover, and natural fire-retardant thistle.
- A thick and supportive mattress – The thick construction and high-density foam of this mattress makes it suitable for sleepers of different weights as it provides a necessary comfort and perfect support even to heavier sleepers.
- Full service in-home delivery – The Loom and Leaf may be an ideal choice for you if you don’t like unboxing the mattress and setting it up yourself as the Loom and Leaf provides full service in-home delivery. The mattress will be delivered directly to you by truck and professionally installed.