IDLE Sleep Gel Foam vs. Tempur Pedic
In today’s review, we take a look at the IDLE Sleep Gel Foam and Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze, two interesting all foam mattresses that come with some special cooling features.
The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam is a 12″ mattress that comes with 5 levels of contoured support and various adaptive gel fused layers, while the Tempur Pedic is a full memory foam mattress made of high-quality dense and cooling foam layers that provide incredible comfort and hug typical for a memory foam.
Read our review to see how these two mattresses compare and find out which one would be a better choice for you. Last updated
IDLE Sleep Gel Foam
Construction and Materials
The Idle Gel Foam mattress is a 12″ all foam mattress made up of the following layers:
- 3″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 3″ of the Idle Cooling Buoyancy foam. It is a special blended foam with gel infusion that reacts faster than memory foam and provides better support, pressure relief and cooling.
- 2″ Transition Layer – This layer is 2″ of supportive transition foam that features perforated holes that increase breathability and provide extra responsiveness which makes changing positions and getting in and out of bed during the night much easier. It also serves as a transition layer between the softer top comfort layer and firmer base below.
- 7″ Base Layer – This layer is 7″ of durable high-density foam that provides deep compression support, minimizes motion transfer, serves as the foundation for the layers above and provides greater durability and stability to the mattress.
The cover of the IDLE Gel Foam mattress is a high quality 450GSM washable quilted cover which wraps around the 100% natural cotton barrier.
The cover is extremely soft and breathable and is designed to work with the body’s natural thermal capabilities. It will keep you warm when you are cold and cool you down when you feel hot.
Firmness and Support
The IDLE Gel Foam mattress is a universal comfort model designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers with different needs and sleep preferences.
We felt it to be a medium firm mattress and would rate it around a 6.5 out of 10 (10 being the firmest).
In terms of support, the Idle Gel Foam mattress does a really good job of providing excellent support in all sleeping positions with the top comfort layer of soft Idle blended foam with gel infusion providing body hug and contour and enough response, the special hole punched transition layer and firmer high-density support layer providing the deep compression support for the body.
The IDLE Gel Foam mattress combines the luxurious Idle Buoyancy Foam with the special transition foam that features perforated holes to provide an ideal balance of cushioning comfort and support necessary for all sleeping positions.
There is also a good degree of bounce and responsiveness with this mattress too coming from the Idle Cooling Buoyancy Foam and from the layer of foam with perforated holes that provides extra responsiveness which makes changing positions and getting in and out of bed during the night much easier and makes this mattress ideal for sex.
The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress sleeps pretty cool due to the special cooling buoyant foam that prevents the retention of heat and the unique hole punched transition layer which allows greater airflow through the mattress and aids in cooling.
In addition the cover of this mattress is highly breathable and is designed to work with the body’s natural thermal capabilities.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress does a good job of minimizing the amount of sinkage and motion transfer, especially compared to most mattresses we have reviewed.
The special buoyancy foam it its top comfort layer and hole punched foam used in its transition layer and the high-density support layer worked perfectly well together to prevent excessive sinkage and eliminate the feeling of being stuck in foam.
Edge support is also good with this mattress and Andrew didn’t compress the edges too much at all when sitting or lying near them.
As for motion transfer, it is minimal with this mattress. There is some amount of bounce and responsiveness coming from the Cooling Buoyancy Foam and the hole punched layer, but the base foam layer of dense foam prevents excessive motion transfer.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress get high marks in this category for not having too much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box.
The company uses only Natural, CentiPUR-US certified foams which significantly minimizes the degree of off-gassing that all foam mattresses usually have.
- 18 Full Month Home Trial
- Lifetime Warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- American made
The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress is more than reasonably priced and comes in at only $695 for a Queen. This is a great price given the quality materials and construction used in this mattress.
Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze
Construction and Materials
Tempur-Pedic, unlike other mattress companies, don’t share a lot of information about their technology. They consider it proprietary information, so there are not many details about the materials they use for the construction of their mattresses, density of the layers, etc.
Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze is an all-foam mattress by design and it is based on the following layers:
- PureCool+ Phase Change Top Layer: This is their new comfort layer that includes exclusive technology designed to wick heat away from the body and provide a cooling layer. All memory foam, no gel materials or anything, and not a lot of public information on exactly what the Breeze consists of.
- TEMPUR-CM+ Layer: This is their support layer, made of the advanced TEMPUR material which allows maximum airflow and works with the top layer to dissipate heat for all-night cooling comfort and provide overall sleep support.
- The Foundation Layer: This Layer is made of the Ventilated TEMPUR-APR material which is known to be one of the most pressure relieving materials ever and now it also comes with an ultra breathable design. It serves as the core foundation of this mattress and provides overall support and base for the mattress.
The cover of the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze comes with a SmartClimate Dual Cover System. It is an advanced zip-off cover with double the cool-to-touch power that cool and pleasant to the touch and that will also make you feel cooler when you lie down.
Firmness & Support
The new Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze soft model is quite soft when compared to other models. The PureCool+ Phase Change layer and TEMPUR-CM+ layer of this mattress place it around a 4-5 on a 10-point scale (10 being the firmest). So, when you lay on the mattress, you sink into it quite a bit, especially if you are a heavier sleeper like Andrew (230lbs).
The Tempur Pedic differs from many other memory foam mattresses in that it may initially seem to sleep hot or be too hard. However, the company recommends a 2-3 week “break-in” period for your body to acclimate to the mattress, and as the time passes your body totally adapts to it.
As it has been already mentioned, the new Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze soft is a very soft model and it gives you the feeling of sleeping on a could. It is extremely comfortable, it cushions your body and feels super luxurious.
Although it doesn’t have any special technology and materials included in its construction, its high-quality, heavy foam for which it is known perfectly conforms and adapts to your body.
Tempur Pedics used to be known for sleeping hot. The early models would be hot in the summer, and hard and cold in the winter. The ones we have used and slept on were no different.
The company has introduced their special cooling technology to address this, which is a key feature in the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze model which to a degree isn’t bad, but really is just more layers of memory foam designed to wick heat away.
These innovations are equally as effective as those of the mattresses including the newer heat regulating technology such as the use of copper, gel cooling layer or latex. Their new cooling technology does keep the mattress much cooler than previous generations of Tempur Pedic models for sure.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Tempur Pedics are known for having a very minimal motion transfer, due to the use of a high-quality dense foam in their construction.
However, unlike with the IDLE Sleep Gel Foam, sinkage with the new Cloud Luxe Breeze is a little pronounced, because it is Tempur Pedic’s softest model, and when Andrew sat down on it, it compressed quite a bit but did not cause him to sink down to the foundation.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Although there was a significant chemical smell with the earlier Tempur Pedics, they seemed to have addressed this with the current models, and with their delivery of uncompressed mattresses. So, no noticeable smell comes from the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
Tempur Pedic used to sell their mattresses through major mattress retailers exclusively which helped them avoid dealing directly with the customers. Lately, however, they began selling their mattresses online as well.
Tempur Pedic customer service includes:
- 90 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- In-home delivery guaranteed by Tempur Pedic.
Although Tempur Pedics are generally expensive (a queen Cloud Luxe Breeze costs $4499), the company offers discounts which can help you save up to 30% on certain sizes of the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
IDLE Sleep Gel Foam vs. Tempur Pedic Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the IDLE Sleep Gel Foam vs. Tempur Pedic mattress.
|IDLE Sleep Gel Foam||Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze|
|Layers||3″ of the Idle Cooling Buoyancy foam, 2″ of supportive transition foam, 7″ of durable high-density foam||PureCool+ Phase Change Top Layer, TEMPUR-CM+ Layer, Ventilated TEMPUR-APR Foundation Layer|
|Cover||A high quality 450GSM washable quilted cover which wraps around the 100% natural cotton barrier||Thin, removable cotton cover|
|Firmness||6.5 out of 10||4-5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Minimal||Very minimal|
|Trial Period||18 Full Month Home Trial||90 Days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||In-home delivery|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose the IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress if you like:
- Classic memory foam feel – The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress features various layers of special foams that will provide the softness and that classic memory foam feel that will make you get the impression of sleeping on clouds.
- Pressure relieving mattresses – This mattress will cushion and cradle your body to relieve your pressure points and provide you with a relaxed and painless sleeping experience.
- All foam mattresses that sleep cool – The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress features unique breathable cover and special cooling technologies that will keep you cool and comfortable all night long.
Choose Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze if you like:
- The feel of the memory foam – If you like the soft feel of full memory foam mattresses, then the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze may be the right choice for you. It is an all foam mattress, made of the high-quality dense foam layers that provide necessary comfort and hug typical for memory foam.
- Soft mattresses – Cloud Luxe Breeze a very soft all foam mattress. Its top comfort layers provide enough cushioning and they perfectly mold to your body.
- Sharing your bed – Memory foam is known for causing minimal or no motion transfer at all, and the Cloud Luxe Breeze does a good job at isolating excessive motion transfer as well due to its dense memory foam layers. Therefore, if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner, this mattress may be ideal for you. You can change your position or get in and out of bed during the night freely without disturbing your beloved one.