IDLE Sleep Gel Foam vs. Leesa Original
In this review, we take a look at two innovative all foam mattresses offered by two popular online mattress companies: IDLE Sleep and Leesa.
Both are made of highest quality materials and both feature some unique features that set them apart from other all foam mattresses currently present on the online mattress market.
While the IDLE Sleep Gel Foam is a 12″ mattress that comes with 5 levels of contoured support and various adaptive gel fused layers, the Leesa Original is a 10″ mattress that combines various layers of special foams for improved pressure relief, cooling and support.
Read our review to see why these two mattresses are so amazing and find out which one would be a better fit for you. Last updated
IDLE Sleep Gel Foam
Construction and Materials
The Idle Gel Foam mattress is a 12″ all foam mattress made up of the following layers:
- 3″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 3″ of the Idle Cooling Buoyancy foam. It is a special blended foam with gel infusion that reacts faster than memory foam and provides better support, pressure relief and cooling.
- 2″ Transition Layer – This layer is 2″ of supportive transition foam that features perforated holes that increase breathability and provide extra responsiveness which makes changing positions and getting in and out of bed during the night much easier. It also serves as a transition layer between the softer top comfort layer and firmer base below.
- 7″ Base Layer – This layer is 7″ of durable high-density foam that provides deep compression support, minimizes motion transfer, serves as the foundation for the layers above and provides greater durability and stability to the mattress.
The cover of the IDLE Gel Foam mattress is a high quality 450GSM washable quilted cover which wraps around the 100% natural cotton barrier.
The cover is extremely soft and breathable and is designed to work with the body’s natural thermal capabilities. It will keep you warm when you are cold and cool you down when you feel hot.
Firmness and Support
The IDLE Gel Foam mattress is a universal comfort model designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers with different needs and sleep preferences.
We felt it to be a medium firm mattress and would rate it around a 6.5 out of 10 (10 being the firmest).
In terms of support, the Idle Gel Foam mattress does a really good job of providing excellent support in all sleeping positions with the top comfort layer of soft Idle blended foam with gel infusion providing body hug and contour and enough response, the special hole punched transition layer and firmer high-density support layer providing the deep compression support for the body.
The IDLE Gel Foam mattress combines the luxurious Idle Buoyancy Foam with the special transition foam that features perforated holes to provide an ideal balance of cushioning comfort and support necessary for all sleeping positions.
There is also a good degree of bounce and responsiveness with this mattress too coming from the Idle Cooling Buoyancy Foam and from the layer of foam with perforated holes that provides extra responsiveness which makes changing positions and getting in and out of bed during the night much easier and makes this mattress ideal for sex.
The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress sleeps pretty cool due to the special cooling buoyant foam that prevents the retention of heat and the unique hole punched transition layer which allows greater airflow through the mattress and aids in cooling.
In addition the cover of this mattress is highly breathable and is designed to work with the body’s natural thermal capabilities.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress does a good job of minimizing the amount of sinkage and motion transfer, especially compared to most mattresses we have reviewed.
The special buoyancy foam it its top comfort layer and hole punched foam used in its transition layer and the high-density support layer worked perfectly well together to prevent excessive sinkage and eliminate the feeling of being stuck in foam.
Edge support is also good with this mattress and Andrew didn’t compress the edges too much at all when sitting or lying near them.
As for motion transfer, it is minimal with this mattress. There is some amount of bounce and responsiveness coming from the Cooling Buoyancy Foam and the hole punched layer, but the base foam layer of dense foam prevents excessive motion transfer.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress get high marks in this category for not having too much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box.
The company uses only Natural, CentiPUR-US certified foams which significantly minimizes the degree of off-gassing that all foam mattresses usually have.
- 18 Full Month Home Trial
- Lifetime Warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- American made
The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress is more than reasonably priced and comes in at only $600 for a Queen. This is a great price given the quality materials and construction used in this mattress.
Construction and Materials
The Leesa Original is an all foam mattress that combines premium foams for extraordinary cooling, contouring and pressure-relieving support. It is composed of the following layers:
- 2″ Cooling Foam Top Layer – The top layer is 2″ of the special cooling foam, designed to provide both hug of a classic memory foam and enough bounce which facilitates moving around in bed and prevents you from feeling stuck in foam. The special structure of this foam also allows greater airflow through the mattress and aids in cooling.
- 2″ Contouring Memory Foam Layer – This layer is made up of 2″ of contouring memory foam designed to support the body and provide pressure relief and proper spinal alignment.
- 6″ Core Support Foam Base Layer – This layer is 6″ of dense support foam that serves as the foundation for the layers above and works with them to provide excellent support for all types of sleepers and all sleeping positions.
The Leesa Original has a seamless gray, twill fabric cover that is extremely soft to the touch. The cover works to provide a cool sleeping surface that is pleasant to the touch and increase the overall comfort and luxuriousness of this mattress.
Firmness and Support
Just like the IDLE Sleep Gel Foam, the Leesa Original comes in one universal firmness option designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers, and it is around a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
However, firmness is largely weight dependent and I tended to compress the top layers less than Andrew who weights considerably more than I do. Unlike its predecessor, the Leesa Original mattress provided us with excellent support in all sleeping positions and did not cause Andrew to compress the mattress so much and bottom out when sitting up on it.
The Leesa Original mattress is, just like the IDLE Sleep Gel Foam, a comfortable mattress. Its top comfort cooling foam layer is soft enough to mold to your body and offers incredible pressure relief to prevent the appearance of pressure points and dead arm sensation while it’s at the same time supportive enough to keep your spine properly aligned regardless of your the position you sleep in.
The special foams used in its construction also provide a bit of responsiveness and bounce which facilitates moving around and getting in and out of bed during the night.
Andrew felt this mattress was supportive enough for his heavy weight, and it didn’t cause him to reach the foundation of our bed. So, if you are a heavier sleeper, you will find this mattress quite comfortable and it’s thinner construction won’t affect your overall comfort and the quality of your sleep.
As for sleeping hot, the Leesa does a good job here, and it is about average in this category.
Its top comfort layer made of the special cooling foam combined with the soft breathable cover prevents the build-up of excessive body heat, eliminates any discomfort and the feeling of stickiness usually present with many all foam mattresses and provides you with a cool and comfortable night’s sleep.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
As it has been already said, sinkage and motion transfer is highly dependent on sleeper’s weight and as Andrew weights around 230 lbs, he compressed a bit the top comfort layer of this mattress, but the special foam used in this layer worked perfectly with the memory foam layer and the firmer base layer below to prevent him from sinking all the way down through the mattress and bottoming out.
Edge support is also good with this mattress. Andrew didn’t press all the way down through the mattress and come to rest on the foundation of our bed when sitting on or near its edge, and it worked perfectly well for me as well. We also didn’t experience any feeling of sliding and rolling off the bed.
As for motion transfer, there is almost no motion transfer with this mattress due to its all foam construction which isolates movements between partners to the least bit.
Smell / Off-Gassing
There is a small degree of off-gassing/smell upon opening the box. It is due to the all-foam construction of this mattress, but it is nothing overpowering when compared to some other mattresses we have reviewed.
- Shipping – free shipping, arrives in 3-6 days
- 10 Year Warranty
- 100 Night Sleep Trial Period
- Made in the USA
Leesa is pretty reasonably priced when compared to the in-store brands, and it comes in at $849 for a queen.
Click here to read the full Leesa Hybrid mattress review.
IDLE Sleep Gel Foam vs. Leesa Original Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the IDLE Sleep Gel Foam vs. Leesa Original mattress.
|IDLE Sleep Gel Foam||Leesa Original|
|Layers||3″ of the Idle Cooling Buoyancy foam, 2″ of supportive transition foam, 7″ of durable high-density foam||2″ of the special cooling foam, 2″ of contouring memory foam, 6″ of dense support foam|
|Cover||A high quality 450GSM washable quilted cover which wraps around the 100% natural cotton barrier||Seamless gray, twill fabric cover that is extremely soft to the touch|
|Motion Transfer||Minimal||Very minimal|
|Trial Period||18 Full Month Home Trial||100 Days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping, arrives in 2-7 days|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose the IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress if you like:
- Classic memory foam feel – The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress features various layers of special foams that will provide the softness and that classic memory foam feel that will make you get the impression of sleeping on clouds.
- Pressure relieving mattresses – This mattress will cushion and cradle your body to relieve your pressure points and provide you with a relaxed and painless sleeping experience.
- All foam mattresses that sleep cool – The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress features unique breathable cover and special cooling technologies that will keep you cool and comfortable all night long.
Choose Leesa Original mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel – The softness of the Leesa Original cover combined with the initial soft response from its memory foam layers provide a soft feel typical for memory foam.
- Sleeping cool – The thin cover of this mattress and the use of the special cooling technologies in its construction allow easier air flow, make this mattress breathable, and eliminate the feeling of stickiness usually present in memory foam mattresses.