IDLE Sleep Gel Foam vs. Layla
In today’s review, we’ll be comparing two all foam mattresses: IDLE Sleep Gel Foam and Layla. Both are amazing new mattresses and both come with some special cooling features and advanced mattress technologies.
The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam is a 12″ mattress that comes with 5 levels of contoured support and various adaptive gel fused layers, while the Layla is an innovative mattress that features copper in its construction and a unique two-sided design that allows choosing the level of firmness.
Read our review to see what we think about these mattresses and what are our experiences sleeping on them and choose the one that will best suit you. Last updated
IDLE Sleep Gel Foam
Construction and Materials
The Idle Gel Foam mattress is a 12″ all foam mattress made up of the following layers:
- 3″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 3″ of the Idle Cooling Buoyancy foam. It is a special blended foam with gel infusion that reacts faster than memory foam and provides better support, pressure relief and cooling.
- 2″ Transition Layer – This layer is 2″ of supportive transition foam that features perforated holes that increase breathability and provide extra responsiveness which makes changing positions and getting in and out of bed during the night much easier. It also serves as a transition layer between the softer top comfort layer and firmer base below.
- 7″ Base Layer – This layer is 7″ of durable high-density foam that provides deep compression support, minimizes motion transfer, serves as the foundation for the layers above and provides greater durability and stability to the mattress.
The cover of the IDLE Gel Foam mattress is a high quality 450GSM washable quilted cover which wraps around the 100% natural cotton barrier.
The cover is extremely soft and breathable and is designed to work with the body’s natural thermal capabilities. It will keep you warm when you are cold and cool you down when you feel hot.
Firmness and Support
The IDLE Gel Foam mattress is a universal comfort model designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers with different needs and sleep preferences.
We felt it to be a medium firm mattress and would rate it around a 6.5 out of 10 (10 being the firmest).
In terms of support, the Idle Gel Foam mattress does a really good job of providing excellent support in all sleeping positions with the top comfort layer of soft Idle blended foam with gel infusion providing body hug and contour and enough response, the special hole punched transition layer and firmer high-density support layer providing the deep compression support for the body.
The IDLE Gel Foam mattress combines the luxurious Idle Buoyancy Foam with the special transition foam that features perforated holes to provide an ideal balance of cushioning comfort and support necessary for all sleeping positions.
There is also a good degree of bounce and responsiveness with this mattress too coming from the Idle Cooling Buoyancy Foam and from the layer of foam with perforated holes that provides extra responsiveness which makes changing positions and getting in and out of bed during the night much easier and makes this mattress ideal for sex.
The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress sleeps pretty cool due to the special cooling buoyant foam that prevents the retention of heat and the unique hole punched transition layer which allows greater airflow through the mattress and aids in cooling.
In addition the cover of this mattress is highly breathable and is designed to work with the body’s natural thermal capabilities.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress does a good job of minimizing the amount of sinkage and motion transfer, especially compared to most mattresses we have reviewed.
The special buoyancy foam it its top comfort layer and hole punched foam used in its transition layer and the high-density support layer worked perfectly well together to prevent excessive sinkage and eliminate the feeling of being stuck in foam.
Edge support is also good with this mattress and Andrew didn’t compress the edges too much at all when sitting or lying near them.
As for motion transfer, it is minimal with this mattress. There is some amount of bounce and responsiveness coming from the Cooling Buoyancy Foam and the hole punched layer, but the base foam layer of dense foam prevents excessive motion transfer.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress get high marks in this category for not having too much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box.
The company uses only Natural, CentiPUR-US certified foams which significantly minimizes the degree of off-gassing that all foam mattresses usually have.
- 18 Full Month Home Trial
- Lifetime Warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- American made
The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress is more than reasonably priced and comes in at only $600 for a Queen. This is a great price given the quality materials and construction used in this mattress.
Construction and Materials
The Layla is an all-foam 10-inch mattress with 4 layers of copper-infused memory foam and base support foam. There is a core inner support foam layer and a comfort layer on each side of the mattress, which provide the different firmness settings when the mattress is flipped over.
- 3″ Comfort Layer (Soft setting) – 3″ of high-density copper infused memory foam that provides cooling and improves blood circulation
- 2″ Support Layer – 2″ of convoluted foam that provides airflow and support for the comfort layers on each side
- 4″ Base Support Foam – 4″ of 2.o ILD Poly Base foam that provides overall support for the mattress in both comfort configurations.
- 1″ Comfort Layer (Firm setting) – 1″ of the same high-density copper infused memory foam as 3″ layer.
The cover is soft and comfortable, lined with THERMOgel technology that causes the bed to react to your body’s sweat in order to keep you cool at night as well. Besides this the cover is colored differently on each firmness side of the mattress, and both soft and firm side are clearly marked.
Firmness and Support
Unlike the IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress, the Layla is unique in that you can go from a soft feel to a firm feel in the same bed simply by turning the mattress over.
We felt the soft side to be around a 5-6 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest. When we flipped it over to the firmer side the feel was around 8 out of 10, with 10 being the firmest.
The mattress does a great job at supporting both my lighter weight and the heavier weight of my partner without the feeling of being trapped in foam. It is a universal model that will satisfy just about all firmness preferences of the sleepers, from those that like the softer/medium feel to those wanting the firmer one.
Just like the IDLE Sleep Gel Foam, the Layla mattress is a rather comfortable as it can satisfy both softer and firmer preferences of the sleepers and provide them with a luxurious feel.
Its soft cover and the all foam construction on the soft firmness allow you to sink in the mattress to a certain degree but not feel trapped. Similarly, if you prefer a firmer mattress, you just have to flip it over and you will be provided with a firmer comfort level.
The Layla does a great job at sleeping cool, just like the IDLE Sleep Gel Foam, and it is far above almost every other mattress on the market in this category.
All foam beds usually lead to the build-up of heat and the feeling of stickiness, but with the Layla, there is no such problem due to the use of copper-infused foam in its construction. The THERMOgel infused cover contributes to not sweating when sleeping as well.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Sinkage and motion transfer depend on which firmness level you prefer. As sinkage is largely weight dependant, Andrew sunk down more on the softer side than I did, but this is something he enjoys as he prefers the feeling of his body being contoured in foam which helps support his back and shoulders as well.
A firm side of the mattress causes less sinkage and the edge support is also better on the firm side than on the soft for the same reason. The Layla has a good edge support and Andrew did not compress or sink down to the foundation as it often happens with other memory foam mattresses.
When it comes to motion transfer, it is almost non-existent with Layla both on its soft side as well as on the firm side, which is a great benefit for couples.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Layla releases a minimal amount of smell upon opening of the box, which is quite surprising given the fact that it is an all-foam mattress. All the smell that is present dissipates within a few hours.
Layla Sleep Customer Service:
- 120-night sleep trial
- Made in the USA
- Free shipping and free returns
- Ships in 7 days
The Layla is very competitively priced at $849 for a Queen. This is an excellent price given the quality materials used in the construction of this mattress and its special cooling features.
IDLE Sleep Gel Foam vs. Layla Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the IDLE Sleep Gel Foam vs. Layla mattress.
|IDLE Sleep Gel Foam||Layla|
|Layers||3″ of the Idle Cooling Buoyancy foam, 2″ of supportive transition foam, 7″ of durable high-density foam||3″ of high density copper infused memory foam, 2″ of convoluted foam, 4″ of 2.o ILD Poly Base foam, 1″ of the same high density copper infused memory|
|Cover||A high quality 450GSM washable quilted cover which wraps around the 100% natural cotton barrier||Soft and comfortable cover, lined with THERMOgel technology|
|Firmness||6.5 out of 10||5-8 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Minimal||Very minimal|
|Trial Period||18 Full Month Home Trial||120 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Free returns|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose the IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress if you like:
- Classic memory foam feel – The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress features various layers of special foams that will provide the softness and that classic memory foam feel that will make you get the impression of sleeping on clouds.
- Pressure relieving mattresses – This mattress will cushion and cradle your body to relieve your pressure points and provide you with a relaxed and painless sleeping experience.
- All foam mattresses that sleep cool – The IDLE Sleep Gel Foam mattress features unique breathable cover and special cooling technologies that will keep you cool and comfortable all night long.
Choose Layla mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel – Both the firm and the soft sides of the Layla contain copper infused memory foam that provides pressure relief. Its soft cover and the all foam construction allow you to sink in the mattress to a certain degree and provide you with the classic memory foam feel of contouring without the feeling of being trapped.
- Sleeping cool – The THERMOgel infused cover of this mattress and the use of cooper-infused foam in its construction prevent heat build-up, regulate the temperature and eliminate the sticky feeling that most all-foam mattresses cause.
- Adjustable mattress – The Layla could be an excellent choice for you if you are not sure which firmness level is right for you as it gives you the possibility to go from a soft to a firm feel in the same bed simply by turning the mattress over.
- Sharing your bed – The Layla mattress due to its all-foam construction causes very minimal motion transfer when changing positions or getting in and our of bed during the night, and it can be a great choice if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner.