How to Much Does It Cost to Ship a Mattress
Are you thinking about shipping a mattress? Although it may seem a bit complicated, shipping a mattress is easier than you think.
Mattresses are fragile items and usually quite expensive, which is why you need to make sure your mattress safely gets to your desired place and one of the best ways to ensure this is to ship it. But how much does it cost to ship a mattress?
Read our article to learn how to ship a mattress and find out how much this will cost you. Last updated
Prepare Your Mattress for Shipping
To ship your mattress, you need to prepare it first so it arrives safely to your desired destination.
Remove all bedding items from your mattress and wrap the mattress in plastic bag or a mattress case for protection. If you have a memory foam or latex mattress and a plastic bag with a seal you can use a vacuum cleaner to draw the air out of the bag and compress your mattress so you can fold it easier.
If you don’t have any of these, you can use an ordinary plastic wrap and a packing tape or ratchet straps to secure the mattress and make sure the wrapping nylon stays in its place. Once you do this you should store your mattress in a box of an appropriate size.
Shipping Your Mattress
But, before you can even think about preparing your mattress for shipping, you should know how much it will cost you and whether you can afford it. This means that you will need to measure your mattress.
To get an accurate shipping quote, you should know the dimensions of your mattress. Once you measure the mattress and know its approximate size and weight, you can call around for shipping quotes.
You should also include insurance in your quote as mattresses are fragile and you need to protect them from anything that might possibly happen during shipping. Also, paying for insurance is a lot cheaper than buying a new mattress.
Types of Shipping
You should also know about different types of shipping that different companies offer.
To determine what would be the best for you and your mattress you need to think about how you want to handle the pick-up and delivery of the mattress.
Think whether you want:
- White glove pick-up and delivery – This means that the movers will come into your house to package the mattress, ship it and deliver it and install it inside your new home.
- Curbside pickup – This means that you have to put your mattress outside packaged and ready to go.
- A designated drop off location – This means that you have to bring the mattress to a certain shipping company that you choose so they can deliver it to your new place.
How Much Does It Cost to Ship a Mattress
How much it will cost to ship a mattress to your new place will depend on the size of your mattress and how far is the place where you want it to be delivered.
Some of the factors that will affect the cost of shipping a mattress include:
- Mattress Size – The size of your mattress and how much space it will take up in the truck will also affect the cost of shipping.
- Weight – Pay attention to the weight of your mattress as heavier objects usually cost more because they limit how many other items the truck can transport. Trucks are required to stay under weight limits that are based on their size.
- Shipping method – How fast you want your mattress to arrive to your desired destination will also impact the cost. Urgent shipments usually cost more than those that can take the slower route.
- Fuel and tariffs – Although you can’t control the cost of tariffs and fuel, they also affect the total cost of shipping a mattress.
Shipping a mattress seems a bit complicated, but it is possible and you just need to pay attention to a few things before you actually proceed to do this.
In this article we explained what are these few things and how much it will cost you to ship a mattress. We hope our guide will be helpful to you and that your mattress will arrive safely to your desired destination.