Helix vs. Sapira
We are back with another battle. Today it will be between two highest-quality hybrid beds: Helix and Sapira.
The Helix is a customizable hybrid that allows you to create each side of the mattress according to your and your partner’s individual needs and preferences, while the Sapira is a luxury combination of pocketed coils and layers of various foams. But, how to know which one will be better for you?
Keep reading to find out. Last updated
Construction and Materials
Helix is a 10″ hybrid mattress made up of latex, micro-coils, and foam. It consists of the custom configured layers to achieve the right degree of customization for your sleep preferences.
• 2″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 2″ of synthetic Dunlop latex designed to provide bounce, cooling, and responsiveness, and it can vary in firmness from ILD 15-32 (ILD being Indention Load Deflection, a measure of firmness) based on your answers from the questionnaire.
• 2″ Pressure Relief Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of micro coils that provide pressure, relief, bounce, and comfort, and create a similar feel to innerspring mattresses.
• 2″ Support Layer – This layer is 2″ of polyfoam that provides deep compression support and serves as the transitional support between the comfort and lower support layers. It also varies from ILD 20-26 based on the questionnaire answers.
• 4.5″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 4.5″ of high-density support foam that provides the overall foundation and support. It also ranges in ILD 26-33 based on the questionnaire.
The cover of the Helix mattress is made up of 100% polyester, with a soft white top and lower blue bottom. The cover is thin and designed to assist in airflow and improve cooling.
Firmness and Support
With the Helix mattress, there is no pre-set level of firmness that can be evaluated based on pre-set factory construction of the mattress.
Instead, Helix customizes firmness and support for each sleeper according to their questionnaire answers and designs a mattress with different values for each side. Once the mattress is designed, they manufacture it and send it to your doorstep.
In our case, Andrew’s side required more support for his heavier weight (230lbs) and a softer feel which resulted in a mattress that felt around a 5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest. Mattresses that are around 10″ thick usually tend to not be thick and supportive enough to handle my partner’s weight, but the Helix does a great job here due to the varying ILD of each layer in his side of the mattress. As for myself, I generally prefer a firmer mattress, and my side ended up being firmer without additional support for weight, and felt more of a 7 out of 10, with 10 being the firmest.
The combination of latex, micro coils, and foam with the soft breathable cover provides a necessary level of comfort on each side of the Helix mattress, while the hybrid design of latex and micro coils provides a good degree of bounce and responsiveness. As the Helix is essentially a latex and coil hybrid in the top layers, it provides more of a “sleeping on top of” feel vs. a “sleeping down in” feel typical for most full memory foam mattresses.
The Helix mattress does an excellent job at minimizing heat buildup during the night due to the combination of latex and micro coils in its construction. The split design of the bed prevents the transfer of heat and helps in temperature regulation.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Helix mattress varies in terms of the amount of sinkage and motion transfer, depending on the construction of each side and weight of the sleepers.
Andrew’s side of the mattress customized to suit his weigh provides more support and less sinkage, while my side does the same for me, and I also don’t feel any significant sinkage.
Edge support in this mattress is solid, but this again depends on the side of the mattress and gives varying results.
Motion transfer is good with the Helix as the blended mattress uses different material construction on each side depending on the individual preferences of the sleepers. Such construction of the mattress isolates the movement and prevents the shaking of the mattress when changing positions or getting in and out of bed during the night.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Helix mattress that we reviewed gets high marks in this category for not having a noticeable smell upon opening the box. The hybrid latex and micro coil design (with roughly half the bed being constructed of foam) had some off-gassing but it largely dissipated over the first few nights.
Helix Sleep provides about the standard amount of customer service you can expect in a “Bed In A Box” online mattress retailer that includes:
• 100 Night Sleep Trial
• 10 Year Warranty
• Made in America
• Free Shipping
• Money back guarantee
The Helix mattress is priced at $900 for a Queen. This is a good price for customization and the quality materials and construction used in this mattress.
The “Split Mattress” configuration adds $100 to the price.
You can Save $50 with code: MFT50
Construction and Materials
The Sapira mattress is an 11″ pocketed coil and foam hybrid made up of 5 layers.
- 1.5″ Comfort & Cooling Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of high-density performance foam that serves to provide an initial response to the sleeper and improve airflow.
- 1.5″ Contour Layer – This is a 1.5″ memory foam layer beneath the top performance layer that provides body contouring and pressure relief during sleep.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of poly foam which provides support and serves as the transition between the memory foam layer and pocketed coils.
- 6″ Support Layer – This layer is 6″ of pocketed coils (1,041 in a Queen mattress) which provide the main support for the mattress. They feature pressure zones that provide support where it is needed most, while edge support coils provide exceptional edge support for the Sapira.
- 1″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 1″ of poly base foam which serves as the support for the layers above it.
The cover of the Sapira mattress is made up of a soft and comfortable blend of poly and lycra. It has a visually appealing and soft 4 bar pattern and assists with airflow and breathability.
Firmness and Support
The Sapira mattress unlike customizable Helix comes in only one firmness option and scores 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
The combination of pocketed coil foundation and the top comfort layers provides excellent support to heavier sleepers without making them feel like they are sinking into the mattress. It provides enough give in the top comfort layer to support shoulders and hips and has the firmness necessary for back and stomach sleeping. Therefore, it is suitable for all sleeping positions.
The Sapira mattress is quite comfortable with the expected degree of bounce needed to switch positions during the night and support body weight, and different foam layers in the top comfort layer that provide good body contour and hug.
The soft exterior cover combined with the multiple layers of foam does a good job at providing response and body contour without the feeling of being trapped in foam.
Just like the Helix, the Sapira mattress does a good job at sleeping cool due to the combination of the innerspring pocketed coils and multiple foam layers in the top comfort layer.
Memory foam often leads to the build-up of heat, but this is not the case with the Sapira. It helps you stay cool during the night without causing the sweaty and sticky feel typical for memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The pocketed coil construction of the Sapira does an excellent job at supporting heavier sleepers like Andrew (230lbs) and causes a minimal degree of sinkage.
Edge support is also very good with this mattress as edges do not compress when sitting or lying near them.
As for the motion transfer, it is a little bit higher than in most memory foam mattresses we have reviewed, but it is to be expected with the hybrid construction of this mattress which naturally provides more bounce than the full foam or latex mattresses due to the innerspring coils in its construction.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Sapira gets high marks in this category for not having a noticeable smell upon opening the box. Its hybrid construction minimizes the degree of off-gassing typical for memory foam mattresses.
- 100 night Trial period
- 10-year Warranty
- Free Shipping
- White glove delivery and installation option, for $99 a two-person team will set up your mattress in your house.
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- Save $200 on a Sapira by clicking here
- American made
The Sapira is reasonably priced, coming in at $1475 for a Queen. This is a good price given the quality materials and construction used in this mattress.
Helix vs. Sapira Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Helix vs. Sapira mattress.
|Layers||2″ of synthetic Dunlop latex, 1.5″ of micro coils, 2″ of polyfoam, 4.5″ of high density support foam||1.5″ of high-density performance foam, 1.5″ memory foam, 1″ of poly foam, 6″ of pocketed coils, 1″ of poly base foam|
|Cover||Thin cover made up of 100% polyester, with a soft white top and lower blue bottom||Made up of a soft and comfortable blend of poly and lycra with visually appealing and soft 4 bar pattern|
|Firmness||Customized; 5-7 out of 10||7 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Higher than in most memory foam mattresses|
|Warranty||10 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||100 days||100 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping, $99 white glove delivery and installation option|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||100% money back guarantee for Refunds & Returns|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Helix mattress if you like:
- A custom mattress – The Helix is made from foam / micro coil layers that can provide a wide range of feels and different levels of firmness. By adjusting the position of a certain foam, along with customization to density and ILD value, Helix is able to mix and match different types of mattresses within one design.
- A split mattress – With the Helix, you can have two split mattresses sewn into one mattress. This is especially good for couples with different needs and body characteristics.
- Sharing your bed – The Helix uses different material construction on each side depending on the individual preferences of the sleepers. Such construction of the mattress isolates the movement and prevents the shaking of the mattress when changing positions with your partner or getting in and out of bed during the night.
Choose Sapira mattress if you like:
- Mattress with a good support – The combination of the innerspring coil system and different foam layers in the top comfort layer provides an excellent degree of support suitable for sleepers of different weights and all sleeping positions.
- Sleeping on your back or stomach – The Sapira mattress is more on the firmer side with 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being the firmest) which makes it ideal for back and stomach sleepers.
- The feeling of hug offered by memory foam – The soft exterior cover of this mattress combined with the multiple layers of foam does a good job at providing your body with a necessary hug, response, and contour without the feeling of being trapped in foam.