Helix vs. Brentwood Home Oceano
Long are gone the days when you had to drive to the mattress store and lie around on different mattresses for hours only to discover that none suits your needs and leave the store empty-handed. Mattresses are now available online through a large number of online mattress retailers that offer innovative, user-friendly, and hassle-free online shopping experiences.
Mattresses that are sold in this way come with many conveniences, and they are generally cheaper and of higher quality like the Helix and Brentwood Home Oceano that we’ll be reviewing in this comparison.
Brentwood Home Oceano is the new memory foam and innerspring hybrid mattress in Brentwood Home’s premium mattress line, while the Helix mattress, coming from Helix Sleep, is personalized, custom made to order mattress, shipped to your doorstep at a fraction of the retail price. Last updated
Construction and Materials
Helix is a 10″ hybrid mattress made up of latex, micro-coils, and foam. It consists of custom configured layers to achieve the right degree of customization for your sleep preferences.
• 2″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 2″ of synthetic Dunlop latex designed to provide bounce, cooling, and responsiveness, and it can vary in firmness from ILD 15-32 (ILD being Indention Load Deflection, a measure of firmness) based on your answers from the questionnaire.
• 2″ Pressure Relief Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of micro coils that provide pressure, relief, bounce, and comfort, and create a similar feel to innerspring mattresses.
• 2″ Support Layer – This layer is 2″ of polyfoam that provides deep compression support and serves as the transitional support between the comfort and lower support layers. It also varies from ILD 20-26 based on the questionnaire answers.
• 4.5″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 4.5″ of high-density support foam that provides the overall foundation and support. It also ranges in ILD 26-33 based on the questionnaire.
The cover of the Helix mattress is made up of 100% polyester, with a soft white top and lower blue bottom. The cover is thin and designed to assist in airflow and improve cooling.
Firmness and Support
With the Helix mattress, there is no pre-set level of firmness that can be evaluated based on pre-set factory construction of the mattress.
Instead, Helix customizes firmness and support for each sleeper according to their questionnaire answers and designs a mattress with different values for each side. Once the mattress is designed, they manufacture it and send it to your doorstep.
In our case, Andrew’s side required more support for his heavier weight (230lbs) and a softer feel which resulted in a mattress that felt around a 5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
Mattresses that are around 10″ thick usually tend to not be thick and supportive enough to handle my partner’s weight, but the Helix does a great job here due to the varying ILD of each layer in his side of the mattress. As for myself, I generally prefer a firmer mattress, and my side ended up being firmer without additional support for weight, and felt more of a 7 out of 10, with 10 being the firmest.
The combination of latex, micro coils, and foam with the soft breathable cover provides a necessary level of comfort on each side of the Helix mattress, while the hybrid design of latex and micro coils provides a good degree of bounce and responsiveness.
As the Helix is essentially a latex and coil hybrid in the top layers, it provides more of a “sleeping on top of” feel vs. a “sleeping down in” feel typical for most full memory foam mattresses.
The Helix mattress does an excellent job at minimizing heat buildup during the night due to the combination of latex and micro coils in its construction. The split design of the bed prevents the transfer of heat and helps in temperature regulation.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Helix mattress varies in terms of the amount of sinkage and motion transfer, depending on the construction of each side and weight of the sleepers.
Andrew’s side of the mattress customized to suit his weigh provides more support and less sinkage, while my side does the same for me, and I also don’t feel any significant sinkage.
Edge support in this mattress is solid, but this again depends on the side of the mattress and gives varying results.
Motion transfer is good with the Helix as the blended mattress uses different material construction on each side depending on the individual preferences of the sleepers. Such construction of the mattress isolates the movement and prevents the shaking of the mattress when changing positions or getting in and out of bed during the night.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Helix mattress that we reviewed gets high marks in this category for not having a noticeable smell upon opening the box. The hybrid latex and micro coil design (with roughly half the bed being constructed of foam) had some off-gassing but it largely dissipated over the first few nights.
Helix Sleep provides about the standard amount of customer service you can expect in a “Bed In A Box” online mattress retailer that includes:
• 100 Night Sleep Trial
• 10 Year Warranty
• Made in America
• Free Shipping
• Money back guarantee
The Helix mattress is priced at $900 for a Queen, which is a good price for customization and the quality materials and construction used in this mattress.
The “Split Mattress” configuration adds $100 to the price.
You can Save $50 with code: MFT50
Brentwood Home Oceano
Construction and Materials
The Brentwood Home Oceano is not a customizable mattress like Helix. It is a 14″ thick premium hybrid mattress combining latex, foam and micro coils composed of the following layers:
- 2″ Comfort Layer – This layer is 2″ of special gel memory foam designed to provide contouring support and motion isolation, ensure pressure relief, and reduce heat retaining.
- 2″ Support Layer – This layer provides responsive comfort and support for the body during sleep, and it is made up of 2″ of 1353 (in a queen) individual micro coils.
- 2″ Cooling Layer – This layer is 2″ of Airlux ventilated foam that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and creates a cooler and more comfortable sleeping environment.
- 8″ Support Layer – This layer is 8″ of Quantum Edge Combi-Zone individually wrapped coils that provide support for the mattress and deep compression support for the body during sleep. The entire layer is zoned to provide support to those regions of the body that need it most, and reinforced coils around the edge provide appropriate edge support for the mattress.
The Oceano mattress has a beautifully designed cover that is stretch-knit and made of highly breathable, soft and smooth, plant-based Tencel. This 4-way stretch cover is skin-friendly and hygienic.
It keeps your carbon footprint minimal and allows you to experience the full benefits of the memory foam comfort layer. The soft Eurotop with tailored tweed sides, custom handles, and button-tufted upholstery adds to the luxurious feel and appearance of this mattress.
Firmness and Support
The Oceano scores 6 out of 10 for firmness on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest. Heavier sleepers may press through the top comfort layers and feel a little on the softer side to them and more of the bouncier micro springs in the mattress.
In terms of support, this mattress provides excellent support. It is suitable for all sleeping positions as it provides enough give in the top comfort layer to support shoulders and hips while having necessary firmness to support your back and stomach.
The micro coil construction and gel memory foam layers provide a pretty high degree of bounce and responsiveness with the Oceano, and 14″ thick design provides a good support to heavier sleepers.
The tufted soft Tencel cover of the Oceano makes a really comfortable sleeping surface, and the combination of the top comfort layer of gel memory foam and micro coil layer provides a very supple and comfortable top layer to the mattress.
The foam and micro coil spring design provides a high level of responsiveness and a degree of bounce to the mattress which is ideal for the late night couple’s amorous activities.
This mattress does not retain heat due to its multiple layers of gel memory foam, micro coils, ventilated Airlux foam and Tencel top cover, so you won’t get the sticky sweaty feeling that some foam mattresses cause. The hybrid design of this mattress allows the air to circulate freely through it and it will keep you cool and comfortable.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Brentwood Home Oceano mattress does a great job at minimizing sinkage. However, due to its hybrid design, there is a decent amount of it, although this largely depends on the weight of the sleepers.
The Oceano also has solid edge support due to its 8-inch Quantum Edge Combi-Zone individually wrapped coils, so you won’t feel like you’re going to roll off the mattress.
There is a small amount of motion transfer with this mattress when sleeping and changing positions during the night due to the foam and micro coil construction of the Oceano.
The Brentwood Home Oceano gets high marks in this category for not releasing any noticeable smell upon opening the box which many foam mattresses tend to have due to their plastic packages. Its hybrid nature also contributes to minimizing the amount of off-gassing.
- 120 Night Sleep Trial
- 25 Year Warranty
- Handmade in Los Angeles at their own facility
- No questions asked return policy
- Free Shipping
The Oceano is the premium hybrid mattress in Brentwood Home’s mattress lineup coming in at $1495 for a Queen. This is a reasonable price given the quality of materials used in its construction.
Helix vs. Brentwood Home Oceano Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Helix vs. Brentwood Home Oceano mattress.
|Helix||Brentwood Home Oceano|
|Layers||2″ of synthetic Dunlop latex, 1.5″ of micro coils, 2″ of polyfoam, 4.5″ of high density support foam||2″ of gel memory foam, 2″ of individual micro coils, 2″ of airlux ventilated foam, 8″ of Quantum Edge Combi-Zone individually wrapped coils|
|Cover||Thin cover made up of 100% polyester, with a soft white top and lower blue bottom||Stretch-knit exterior cover made of soft plant-based Tencel|
|Firmness||Customized; 5-7 out of 10||6 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Minimal|
|Warranty||10 years||25 years|
|Trial Period||100 days||120 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||No questions asked return policy|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Helix mattress if you like:
- A custom mattress – The Helix is made from foam / micro coil layers that can provide a wide range of feels and different levels of firmness. By adjusting the position of a certain foam, along with customization to density and ILD value, Helix is able to mix and match different types of mattresses within one design.
- A split mattress – With the Helix, you can have two split mattresses sewn into one mattress. This is especially good for couples with different needs and body characteristics.
- Sharing your bed – The Helix uses different material construction on each side depending on the individual preferences of the sleepers. Such construction of the mattress isolates the movement and prevents the shaking of the mattress when changing positions with your partner or getting in and out of bed during the night.
Choose Brentwood Home Oceano mattress if you like:
- Mattress with excellent support – The Brentwood Home Oceano provides enough give in the top comfort layer to support your shoulders and hips, while also having the firmness necessary for your back and stomach. This makes it ideal for all sleeping positions.
- Mattress with bounce – The micro coil construction and gel memory foam layers of this mattress provide a high degree of bounce and responsiveness.
- Cool sleeping mattress – The Brentwood Home Oceano sleeps quite cool due to the multiple layers of gel memory foam, micro coils, ventilated Airlux foam, and wool / Tencel top cover.
- Sharing your bed – The Oceano is a good choice if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner. The micro coil and foam construction of this mattress causes less motion transfer when sleeping and changing positions with your partner during the night.