Helix Midnight Luxe vs. Tempur Pedic
Innovative, groundbreaking technologies in the mattress industry have had a great impact on the design and manufacturing of today’s sleep products. This has resulted in a large number of different types of mattresses that can be broadly categorized as innerspring, foam or latex, and hybrid mattresses that are combinations of various technologies and materials.
With so many different options available, it may be hard to pick the one that will be perfect for you. Each mattress type differs in size, firmness, and other features, and each has its unique characteristics which you should be aware of before you make your next big purchase.
Today we’ll be comparing two well-known mattress brands Helix and Tempur Pedic and present you with their basic features and unique characteristics that may help you make your final decision.
These are two different types of mattresses coming from different companies, and while the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze is an all foam mattress coming from Tempur Pedic’s full line of foam mattresses catered to different firmness levels and feels, the Helix Midnight Luxe is a hybrid mattress capable of meeting everyone’s needs and preferences. Last updated
Helix Midnight Luxe
Construction and Materials
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is a 14″ hybrid mattress made up of gel memory foam, 1000 + pocketed coils, and foam. It consists of the following layers:
- 1″ Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of Gel memory foam that is extremely soft and designed to provide pressure relief and increase the overall comfort of this mattress.
- 2″ Support Layer – This layer is 2″ of Memory Plus Foam, designed to cushion and support your body.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of high-density High-Grade Polyfoam, designed to provide ergonomic support, contour to your body and serve as a transition layer between the top comfort foam layers and firmer coils bellow. It also allows a seamless progression of your body weight into the mattress.
- 8″ Zoned Body Shape Layer – This layer is 8″ of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping and limit excessive motion transfer. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.
- 1″ Base Layer – This layer is 1″ of DuraDense high density support foam that serves as the foundation and support for the mattress and increases its durability and stability.
The cover of the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is extremely soft 1-inch quilted premium pillow top made up of high-density polyurethane foam.
It increases the overall comfort of this mattress and the Ultra Breathable technology that it incorporates helps increase the airflow through the mattress and keeps you cool all night long.
Firmness and Support
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers and we felt it to be a medium firm mattress, falling somewhere around a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being the firmest).
The soft pillow top combined with the gel memory foam comfort layer below a soft feel and allowed me to sink into a mattress to a certain degree for a perfect pressure relief.
The slightly firmer support and transition layers beneath with the pocketed coil layer did an excellent job of providing extraordinary support to those areas of my body where I needed it most.
Zoning technology used in the coil layer offered a softer feel under shoulders and firmer under hips which made this mattress perfect for side sleeping. In addition these layers lifted my heavy weight and our weights combined as a couple with ease and helped distribute them evenly across the bed.
All in all, it did a great job of meeting our individual firmness and support needs and provided us with what each of us enjoy in the same bed.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is extremely comfortable in that its unique construction and quality materials provide a medium feel and a perfect balance of comfort and support.
The premium quilted pillow top increases the overall comfort of this mattress and gives the feeling of sleeping on clouds and eliminates any possibility of the appearance of pressure points.
It also has a nice degree of responsiveness that facilitates moving around in bed during the night and makes this mattress perfect for sex.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress does an excellent job at sleeping cool due to its pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat and a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow, create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Helix Midnight Luxe does a great job of minimizing the amount of sinkage and motion transfer.
It is true that I compressed the pillow top and comfort layer beneath it quite a bit, but the firmer support and transition layers combined with the pocketed coils prevented me from sinking further into the mattress and feeling enveloped by it.
These layers lifted my heavy weight with ease and distributed it evenly across the bed while the zoned technology of the pocketed coil layer provided just the right amount of support to those areas of my body where I needed it most. Kaye felt, the mattress did the same for her.
Edge support is excellent with this mattress and better than with many other beds we have reviewed so far due to the quality pocketed coils used in its construction.
There wasn’t too much motion transfer with this mattress due to its unique construction that prevented any sleep disturbance.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Helix Midnight Luxe gets high marks in this category for not having much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box. Its hybrid design significantly reduced the amount of of-gassing and any smell that was present dissipated within a few hours.
Helix Sleep provides about the standard amount of customer service you can expect in a “Bed In A Box” online mattress retailer. This includes:
- 100 Night Sleep Trial
- 15 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- Free Shipping
- Money back guarantee
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is priced a bit higher and comes in at $1620 for a Queen.
However, for the level of customization you get and for a mattress of such a unique construction and highest-quality materials that are used in its construction, this is more than a reasonable price.
You can save $125 on a Helix Midnight Luxe! (Use Code: MFT125)
Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze
Construction and Materials
Tempur-Pedic, unlike other mattress companies, don’t share a lot of information about their technology. They consider it proprietary information, so there are not many details about the materials they use for the construction of their mattresses, density of the layers, etc.
Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze is an all-foam mattress by design and it is based on the following layers:
- PureCool+ Phase Change Top Layer: This is their new comfort layer that includes exclusive technology designed to wick heat away from the body and provide a cooling layer. All memory foam, no gel materials or anything, and not a lot of public information on exactly what the Breeze consists of.
- TEMPUR-CM+ Layer: This is their support layer, made of the advanced TEMPUR material which allows maximum airflow and works with the top layer to dissipate heat for all-night cooling comfort and provide overall sleep support.
- The Foundation Layer: This Layer is made of the Ventilated TEMPUR-APR material which is known to be one of the most pressure relieving materials ever and now it also comes with an ultra breathable design. It serves as the core foundation of this mattress and provides overall support and base for the mattress.
The cover of the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze comes with a SmartClimate Dual Cover System. It is an advanced zip-off cover with double the cool-to-touch power that cool and pleasant to the touch and that will also make you feel cooler when you lie down.
Firmness & Support
The new Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze soft model is quite soft when compared to other models. The PureCool+ Phase Change layer and TEMPUR-CM+ layer of this mattress place it around a 4-5 on a 10-point scale (10 being the firmest). So, when you lay on the mattress, you sink into it quite a bit, especially if you are a heavier sleeper like Andrew (230lbs).
The Tempur Pedic differs from many other memory foam mattresses in that it may initially seem to sleep hot or be too hard. However, the company recommends a 2-3 week “break-in” period for your body to acclimate to the mattress, and as the time passes your body totally adapts to it.
As it has been already mentioned, the new Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze soft is a very soft model and it gives you the feeling of sleeping on a could. It is extremely comfortable, it cushions your body and feels super luxurious.
Although it doesn’t have any special technology and materials included in its construction, its high-quality, heavy foam for which it is known perfectly conforms and adapts to your body.
Tempur Pedics used to be known for sleeping hot. The early models would be hot in the summer, and hard and cold in the winter. The ones we have used and slept on were no different.
The company has introduced their special cooling technology to address this, which is a key feature in the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze model which to a degree isn’t bad, but really is just more layers of memory foam designed to wick heat away.
These innovations are equally as effective as those of the mattresses including the newer heat regulating technology such as the use of copper, gel cooling layer or latex. Their new cooling technology does keep the mattress much cooler than previous generations of Tempur Pedic models for sure.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Tempur Pedics are known for having a very minimal motion transfer, due to the use of a high-quality dense foam in their construction.
However, sinkage with the new Cloud Luxe Breeze is a little pronounced because it is Tempur Pedic’s softest model, and when Andrew sat down on it, it compressed quite a bit but did not cause him to sink down to the foundation.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Although there was a significant chemical smell with the earlier Tempur Pedics, they seemed to have addressed this with the current models, and with their delivery of uncompressed mattresses. So, no noticeable smell comes from the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
Tempur Pedic used to sell their mattresses through major mattress retailers exclusively which helped them avoid dealing directly with the customers. Lately, however, they began selling their mattresses online as well.
Tempur Pedic customer service includes:
- 90 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- In-home delivery guaranteed by Tempur Pedic.
Although Tempur Pedics are generally expensive (a queen Cloud Luxe Breeze costs $4499), the company offers discounts which can help you save up to 30% on certain sizes of the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
Helix Midnight Luxe vs. Tempur Pedic Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Helix Midnight Luxe vs. Tempur Pedic mattress.
|Helix Midnight Luxe||Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze|
|Layers||1″ of Gel memory foam, 2″ of Memory Plus Foam, 1″ of high-density High-Grade Polyfoam, 8″ of individually wrapped coils, 1″ of DuraDense high density support foam||PureCool+ Phase Change Top Layer, TEMPUR-CM+ Layer, Ventilated TEMPUR-APR Foundation Layer|
|Cover||An extremely soft 1-inch quilted premium pillow top made up of high-density polyurethane foam||Thin, removable cotton cover|
|Firmness||Customized||4-5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||No motion transfer||Very minimal|
|Warranty||15 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||100 days||90 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||In-home delivery|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Helix Midnight Luxe mattress if you like:
- Sleeping on your side and back – This mattress provides the support necessary for side sleeping and back sleeping without causing any discomfort in hips and shoulders that some mattresses often cause. The plush top comfort layers provide perfect pressure relief for hips and shoulders while pocketed coil system lifts your body weight and provides excellent support.
- A mattress that sleeps cool – The Helix Midnight Luxe sleeps quite cool due to its unique pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat and a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow through the top of the mattress in order to create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
- Beds with excellent support – This mattress features an 8″ thick Zoned Body Shape layer consisting of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.
Choose Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze if you like:
- The feel of the memory foam – If you like the soft feel of full memory foam mattresses, then the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze may be the right choice for you. It is an all foam mattress, made of the high-quality dense foam layers that provide necessary comfort and hug typical for memory foam.
- Soft mattresses – Cloud Luxe Breeze a very soft all foam mattress. Its top comfort layers provide enough cushioning and they perfectly mold to your body.
- Sharing your bed – Memory foam is known for causing minimal or no motion transfer at all, and the Cloud Luxe Breeze does a good job at isolating excessive motion transfer as well due to its dense memory foam layers. Therefore, if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner, this mattress may be ideal for you. You can change your position or get in and out of bed during the night freely without disturbing your beloved one.