Helix Midnight Luxe vs. Leesa Hybrid
We are back with another battle. Today it will be between two highest-quality hybrid beds: Helix Midnight Luxe and Leesa Hybrid.
The Helix Midnight Luxe is the newest hybrid mattress by Helix Sleep that has recently hit the market with some great features and good price, while the Leesa Hybrid is a luxury combination of pocketed coils and layers of various foams. But, how to know which one will be better for you?
Keep reading to find out. Last updated
Helix Midnight Luxe
Construction and Materials
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is a 14″ hybrid mattress made up of gel memory foam, 1000 + pocketed coils, and foam. It consists of the following layers:
- 1″ Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of Gel memory foam that is extremely soft and designed to provide pressure relief and increase the overall comfort of this mattress.
- 2″ Support Layer – This layer is 2″ of Memory Plus Foam, designed to cushion and support your body.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of high-density High-Grade Polyfoam, designed to provide ergonomic support, contour to your body and serve as a transition layer between the top comfort foam layers and firmer coils bellow. It also allows a seamless progression of your body weight into the mattress.
- 8″ Zoned Body Shape Layer – This layer is 8″ of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping and limit excessive motion transfer. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.
- 1″ Base Layer – This layer is 1″ of DuraDense high density support foam that serves as the foundation and support for the mattress and increases its durability and stability.
The cover of the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is extremely soft 1-inch quilted premium pillow top made up of high-density polyurethane foam.
It increases the overall comfort of this mattress and the Ultra Breathable technology that it incorporates helps increase the airflow through the mattress and keeps you cool all night long.
Firmness and Support
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers and we felt it to be a medium firm mattress, falling somewhere around a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being the firmest).
The soft pillow top combined with the gel memory foam comfort layer below a soft feel and allowed me to sink into a mattress to a certain degree for a perfect pressure relief.
The slightly firmer support and transition layers beneath with the pocketed coil layer did an excellent job of providing extraordinary support to those areas of my body where I needed it most.
Zoning technology used in the coil layer offered a softer feel under shoulders and firmer under hips which made this mattress perfect for side sleeping. In addition these layers lifted my heavy weight and our weights combined as a couple with ease and helped distribute them evenly across the bed.
All in all, it did a great job of meeting our individual firmness and support needs and provided us with what each of us enjoy in the same bed.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is extremely comfortable in that its unique construction and quality materials provide a medium feel and a perfect balance of comfort and support.
The premium quilted pillow top increases the overall comfort of this mattress and gives the feeling of sleeping on clouds and eliminates any possibility of the appearance of pressure points.
It also has a nice degree of responsiveness that facilitates moving around in bed during the night and makes this mattress perfect for sex.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress does an excellent job at sleeping cool due to its pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat and a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow, create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Helix Midnight Luxe does a great job of minimizing the amount of sinkage and motion transfer.
It is true that I compressed the pillow top and comfort layer beneath it quite a bit, but the firmer support and transition layers combined with the pocketed coils prevented me from sinking further into the mattress and feeling enveloped by it.
These layers lifted my heavy weight with ease and distributed it evenly across the bed while the zoned technology of the pocketed coil layer provided just the right amount of support to those areas of my body where I needed it most. Kaye felt, the mattress did the same for her.
Edge support is excellent with this mattress and better than with many other beds we have reviewed so far due to the quality pocketed coils used in its construction.
There wasn’t too much motion transfer with this mattress due to its unique construction that prevented any sleep disturbance.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Helix Midnight Luxe gets high marks in this category for not having much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box. Its hybrid design significantly reduced the amount of of-gassing and any smell that was present dissipated within a few hours.
Helix Sleep provides about the standard amount of customer service you can expect in a “Bed In A Box” online mattress retailer. This includes:
- 100 Night Sleep Trial
- 15 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- Free Shipping
- Money back guarantee
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is priced a bit higher and comes in at $1620 for a Queen.
However, for the level of customization you get and for a mattress of such a unique construction and highest-quality materials that are used in its construction, this is more than a reasonable price.
You can save $125 on a Helix Midnight Luxe! (Use Code: MFT125)
Construction and Materials
The Leesa Hybrid mattress is a 11″ mattress made up of 5 layers of hybrid pocketed coils and foam.
- 1.5″ Cooling Premium Foam Top Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of hole-punched responsive foam, designed to improve airflow through the mattress and provide the initial response to the sleeper as well as enough bounce and hug.
- 1.5″ Contouring Memory Foam Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of memory foam that is directly beneath the responsive top foam layer. This layer helps provide enhanced body contouring and pressure relief during sleep.
- 1″ Core Support Foam Layer – This layer is 1″ of transitional core support foam which works to provide transitional support between the memory foam layer above and the layer of pocketed coils beneath.
- 6″ Support Layer – This layer is 6″ of active response pocketed coils (1,000+) which provide extraordinary support to the body, reduce motion transfer and increase the overall durability and stability of the mattress. This pocketed coil system also comes with special Perimeter Edge Support which provides exceptional edge support for all body types.
- 1″ Core Support Foam Base Layer – This layer is 1″ of core support base foam which provides support for the layers above.
The Leesa Hybrid mattress has a beautiful seamless, white and grey cover which is not only soft and comfortable but also assists with airflow and breathability.
The cover has a similar 4 bar pattern like the Leesa Original but with more of a sheen to it which is visually appealing and also quite soft.
Firmness and Support
The Leesa Hybrid mattress comes in only one firmness option and scores 6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
The combination of pocketed coil foundation and the top comfort layers provides excellent support to heavier sleepers without making them feel like they are sinking into the mattress. It provides enough give in the top comfort layer to support shoulders and hips and has the firmness necessary for back and stomach sleeping. Therefore, it is suitable for all sleeping positions.
The Leesa Hybrid mattress is quite comfortable with the expected degree of bounce needed to switch positions during the night and support body weight, and different foam layers in the top comfort layer that provide good body contour and hug.
The soft exterior cover combined with the multiple layers of foam does a good job at providing response and body contour without the feeling of being trapped in foam.
Just like the Helix Midnight Luxe, the Leesa Hybrid mattress does a good job at sleeping cool due to the combination of the innerspring pocketed coil construction with the multiple layers of cooling foams in the top comfort layer and breathable cover.
While using a variety of foams in the top construction often lends to heat buildup and retention, the Leesa Hybrid does a good job at minimizing this, especially because it features the hole-punched top foam layer that allows great airflow through the mattress and helps keep things cool and comfortable throughout the whole night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The pocketed coil construction of the Leesa Hybrid does an excellent job at supporting heavier sleepers like Andrew (230lbs) and causes a minimal degree of sinkage.
Edge support is also very good with this mattress as edges do not compress when sitting or lying near them.
As for the motion transfer, it is a little bit higher than in most memory foam mattresses we have reviewed, but it is to be expected with the hybrid construction of this mattress which naturally provides more bounce than the full foam or latex mattresses due to the innerspring coils in its construction.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Leesa Hybrid gets high marks in this category for not having a noticeable smell upon opening the box. Its hybrid construction minimizes the degree of off-gassing typical for memory foam mattresses.
- 100 night Trial period
- 10-year Warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- Save money on a Leesa Hybrid by clicking here
- American made
The Leesa Hybrid is reasonably priced, coming in at $1444 for a Queen. This is a good price given the quality materials and construction used in this mattress.
Helix Midnight Luxe vs. Leesa Hybrid Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Helix Midnight Luxe vs. Leesa Hybrid mattress.
|Helix Midnight Luxe||Leesa Hybrid|
|Layers||1″ of Gel memory foam, 2″ of Memory Plus Foam, 1″ of high-density High-Grade Polyfoam, 8″ of individually wrapped coils, 1″ of DuraDense high density support foam||1.5″ of hole-punched responsive foam, 1.5″ contouring memory foam, 1″ of transitional core support foam, 6″ of active response pocketed coils, 1″ of core support base foam|
|Cover||An extremely soft 1-inch quilted premium pillow top made up of high-density polyurethane foam||A beautiful seamless, white and grey cover which is assists with airflow and breathability|
|Firmness||Customized||6.5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||No motion transfer||Higher than in most memory foam mattresses|
|Warranty||15 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||100 days||100 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping, $99 white glove delivery and installation option|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||100% money back guarantee for Refunds & Returns|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Helix Midnight Luxe mattress if you like:
- Sleeping on your side and back – This mattress provides the support necessary for side sleeping and back sleeping without causing any discomfort in hips and shoulders that some mattresses often cause. The plush top comfort layers provide perfect pressure relief for hips and shoulders while pocketed coil system lifts your body weight and provides excellent support.
- A mattress that sleeps cool – The Helix Midnight Luxe sleeps quite cool due to its unique pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat and a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow through the top of the mattress in order to create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
- Beds with excellent support – This mattress features an 8″ thick Zoned Body Shape layer consisting of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.
Choose Leesa Hybrid mattress if you like:
- Mattress with a good support – The combination of the innerspring coil system and different foam layers in the top comfort layer provides an excellent degree of support suitable for sleepers of different weights and all sleeping positions.
- Sleeping on your back or stomach – The Leesa Hybrid mattress is more on the firmer side with 6.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being the firmest) which makes it ideal for back and stomach sleepers.
- The feeling of hug offered by memory foam – The soft exterior cover of this mattress combined with the multiple layers of foam does a good job at providing your body with a necessary hug, response, and contour without the feeling of being trapped in foam.