Helix Midnight Luxe vs. Leesa Hybrid (Sapira)
We are back with another battle. Today it will be between two highest-quality hybrid beds: Helix Midnight Luxe and Leesa Hybrid (Sapira).
The Helix Midnight Luxe is a customizable hybrid that allows you to create each side of the mattress according to your and your partner’s individual needs and preferences, while the Leesa Hybrid (Sapira) is a luxury combination of pocketed coils and layers of various foams. But, how to know which one will be better for you?
Keep reading to find out. Last updated
Helix Midnight Luxe
Construction and Materials
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is a 14″ hybrid mattress made up of gel memory foam, 1000 + pocketed coils, and foam. It consists of the following layers, which are custom configured via altering their densities and weights to achieve the proper degree of customization for your sleep preferences.
- 1″ Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of Gel memory foam that is extremely soft and designed to provide pressure relief and increase the overall comfort of this mattress.
- 2″ Support Layer – This layer is 2″ of Memory Plus Foam, designed to cushion and support your body.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of high-density High-Grade Polyfoam, designed to provide ergonomic support, contour to your body and serve as a transition layer between the top comfort foam layers and firmer coils bellow. It also allows a seamless progression of your body weight into the mattress.
- 8″ Zoned Body Shape Layer – This layer is 8″ of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping and limit excessive motion transfer. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.
- 1″ Base Layer – This layer is 1″ of DuraDense high density support foam that serves as the foundation and support for the mattress and increases its durability and stability.
The cover of the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is extremely soft 1-inch quilted premium pillow top made up of high-density polyurethane foam.
It increases the overall comfort of this mattress and the Ultra Breathable technology that it incorporates helps increase the airflow through the mattress and keeps you cool all night long.
Firmness and Support
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress like other Helix mattresses is unique in that there is no pre-set level of firmness that can be evaluated based on pre-set factory construction of the mattress.
The entire idea behind the Helix mattresses is to do exactly the opposite – provide customized firmness and support for each sleeper, not only in one bed – but in one bed with different values for each side.
This functions in such way where Helix takes the output from their questionnaire and either – builds two individual mattresses, then fuses them together to create one or takes the output from the questionnaire and designs a mattress blending both sleeper preferences.
In our case, my side (Andrew) required more support for my heavier weight, but a softer feel. This resulted in a mattress that felt around a 5.5 out of 10 on the firmness scale for me (10 being firmest).
The soft pillow top combined with the gel memory foam comfort layer below a soft feel and allowed me to sink into a mattress to a certain degree for a perfect pressure relief.
The slightly firmer support and transition layers beneath with the pocketed coil layer did an excellent job of providing extraordinary support to those areas of my body where I needed it most.
Zoning technology used in the coil layer offered a softer feel under shoulders and firmer under hips which made this mattress perfect for side sleeping. In addition these layers lifted my heavy weight and our weights combined as a couple with ease and helped distribute them evenly across the bed.
All in all, it did a great job of meeting our individual firmness and support needs and provided us with what each of us enjoy in the same bed.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is extremely comfortable in that its unique split construction and quality materials provide a medium feel and a perfect balance of comfort and support.
The premium quilted pillow top increases the overall comfort of this mattress and gives the feeling of sleeping on clouds and eliminates any possibility of the appearance of pressure points.
It also has a nice degree of responsiveness that facilitates moving around in bed during the night and makes this mattress perfect for sex.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress does an excellent job at sleeping cool due to its pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat and a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow, create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
Besides this, the split design of the bed ensured that our individual heat did not transfer over to each other.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Helix Midnight Luxe varies in terms of the amount of sinkage depending on each side of the mattress and our weights.
On my side, I compressed the pillow top and comfort layer beneath it quite a bit, but the firmer support and transition layers combined with the pocketed coils prevented me from sinking further into the mattress and feeling enveloped by it.
These layers lifted my heavy weight with ease and distributed it evenly across the bed while the zoned technology of the pocketed coil layer provided just the right amount of support to those areas of my body where I needed it most. Kaye’s side did the same for her.
Edge support is excellent with this mattress and better than with many other beds we have reviewed so far due to the quality pocketed coils used in its construction.
There was no motion transfer at all with this mattress due to its unique construction that prevented any sleep disturbance to the least bit.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Helix Midnight Luxe gets high marks in this category for not having much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box. Its hybrid design significantly reduced the amount of of-gassing and any smell that was present dissipated within a few hours.
Helix Sleep provides about the standard amount of customer service you can expect in a “Bed In A Box” online mattress retailer. This includes:
- 100 Night Sleep Trial
- 15 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- Free Shipping
- Money back guarantee
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is priced a bit higher and comes in at $1620 for a Queen.
However, for the level of customization you get and for a mattress of such a unique construction and highest-quality materials that are used in its construction, this is more than a reasonable price.
You can save $125 on a Helix Midnight Luxe! (Use Code: MFT125)
Leesa Hybrid (Sapira)
Construction and Materials
The Leesa Hybrid (Sapira) mattress is an 11″ pocketed coil and foam hybrid made up of 5 layers.
- 1.5″ Comfort & Cooling Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of high-density performance foam that serves to provide an initial response to the sleeper and improve airflow.
- 1.5″ Contour Layer – This is a 1.5″ memory foam layer beneath the top performance layer that provides body contouring and pressure relief during sleep.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of poly foam which provides support and serves as the transition between the memory foam layer and pocketed coils.
- 6″ Support Layer – This layer is 6″ of pocketed coils (1,041 in a Queen mattress) which provide the main support for the mattress. They feature pressure zones that provide support where it is needed most, while edge support coils provide exceptional edge support for the Leesa Hybrid.
- 1″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 1″ of poly base foam which serves as the support for the layers above it.
The cover of the Leesa Hybrid (Sapira) mattress is made up of a soft and comfortable blend of poly and lycra. It has a visually appealing and soft 4 bar pattern and assists with airflow and breathability.
Firmness and Support
The Leesa Hybrid (Sapira) mattress unlike customizable Helix Midnight comes in only one firmness option and scores 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
The combination of pocketed coil foundation and the top comfort layers provides excellent support to heavier sleepers without making them feel like they are sinking into the mattress.
It provides enough give in the top comfort layer to support shoulders and hips and has the firmness necessary for back and stomach sleeping. Therefore, it is suitable for all sleeping positions.
The Leesa Hybrid (Sapira) mattress is quite comfortable with the expected degree of bounce needed to switch positions during the night and support body weight, and different foam layers in the top comfort layer that provide good body contour and hug.
The soft exterior cover combined with the multiple layers of foam does a good job at providing response and body contour without the feeling of being trapped in foam.
Just like the Helix Midnight Luxe, the Leesa Hybrid (Sapira) mattress does a good job at sleeping cool due to the combination of the innerspring pocketed coils and multiple foam layers in the top comfort layer.
Memory foam often leads to the build-up of heat, but this is not the case with the Leesa Hybrid (Sapira). It helps you stay cool during the night without causing the sweaty and sticky feel typical for memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The pocketed coil construction of the Leesa Hybrid (Sapira) does an excellent job at supporting heavier sleepers like Andrew (230lbs) and causes a minimal degree of sinkage.
Edge support is also very good with this mattress as edges do not compress when sitting or lying near them.
As for the motion transfer, it is a little bit higher than in most memory foam mattresses we have reviewed, but it is to be expected with the hybrid construction of this mattress which naturally provides more bounce than the full foam or latex mattresses due to the innerspring coils in its construction.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Leesa Hybrid (Sapira) gets high marks in this category for not having a noticeable smell upon opening the box. Its hybrid construction minimizes the degree of off-gassing typical for memory foam mattresses.
- 100 night Trial period
- 10-year Warranty
- Free Shipping
- White glove delivery and installation option, for $99 a two-person team will set up your mattress in your house.
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- Save $200 on a Leesa Hybrid (Sapira) by clicking here
- American made
The Leesa Hybrid (Sapira) is reasonably priced, coming in at $1449 for a Queen. This is a good price given the quality materials and construction used in this mattress.
Helix Midnight Luxe vs. Leesa Hybrid (Sapira) Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Helix Midnight Luxe vs. Leesa Hybrid Sapira mattress.
|Helix Midnight Luxe||Leesa Hybrid (Sapira)|
|Layers||1″ of Gel memory foam, 2″ of Memory Plus Foam, 1″ of high-density High-Grade Polyfoam, 8″ of individually wrapped coils, 1″ of DuraDense high density support foam||1.5″ of high-density performance foam, 1.5″ memory foam, 1″ of poly foam, 6″ of pocketed coils, 1″ of poly base foam|
|Cover||An extremely soft 1-inch quilted premium pillow top made up of high-density polyurethane foam||Made up of a soft and comfortable blend of poly and lycra with visually appealing and soft 4 bar pattern|
|Firmness||Customized||7 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||No motion transfer||Higher than in most memory foam mattresses|
|Warranty||15 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||100 days||100 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping, $99 white glove delivery and installation option|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||100% money back guarantee for Refunds & Returns|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Helix Midnight Luxe mattress if you like:
- Sleeping on your side and back – This mattress provides the support necessary for side sleeping and back sleeping without causing any discomfort in hips and shoulders that some mattresses often cause. The plush top comfort layers provide perfect pressure relief for hips and shoulders while pocketed coil system lifts your body weight and provides excellent support.
- A mattress that sleeps cool – The Helix Midnight Luxe sleeps quite cool due to its unique pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat and a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow through the top of the mattress in order to create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
- Beds with excellent support – This mattress features an 8″ thick Zoned Body Shape layer consisting of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.
Choose Leesa Hybrid (Sapira) mattress if you like:
- Mattress with a good support – The combination of the innerspring coil system and different foam layers in the top comfort layer provides an excellent degree of support suitable for sleepers of different weights and all sleeping positions.
- Sleeping on your back or stomach – The Leesa Hybrid (Sapira) mattress is more on the firmer side with 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being the firmest) which makes it ideal for back and stomach sleepers.
- The feeling of hug offered by memory foam – The soft exterior cover of this mattress combined with the multiple layers of foam does a good job at providing your body with a necessary hug, response, and contour without the feeling of being trapped in foam.