Helix Midnight Luxe vs. Casper
Most sleepers are combination sleepers which means that they change their sleeping positions many times throughout the night.
If you are a combination sleeper as well, finding a mattress that can perfectly work for all your sleeping positions, especially if you share your bed with a partner can be a real challenge, but is not impossible with so many mattress choices available on today’s market.
In this Helix Midnight Luxe vs Casper review, we’ll be comparing two such mattress brands known for their ability to appeal to a wide range of sleepers with different sleeping styles.
Read our review and see which one may better suit your sleep preferences. Last updated
Helix Midnight Luxe
Construction and Materials
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is a 14″ hybrid mattress made up of gel memory foam, 1000 + pocketed coils, and foam. It consists of the following layers:
- 1″ Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of Gel memory foam that is extremely soft and designed to provide pressure relief and increase the overall comfort of this mattress.
- 2″ Support Layer – This layer is 2″ of Memory Plus Foam, designed to cushion and support your body.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of high-density High-Grade Polyfoam, designed to provide ergonomic support, contour to your body and serve as a transition layer between the top comfort foam layers and firmer coils bellow. It also allows a seamless progression of your body weight into the mattress.
- 8″ Zoned Body Shape Layer – This layer is 8″ of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping and limit excessive motion transfer. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.
- 1″ Base Layer – This layer is 1″ of DuraDense high density support foam that serves as the foundation and support for the mattress and increases its durability and stability.
The cover of the Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is extremely soft 1-inch quilted premium pillow top made up of high-density polyurethane foam.
It increases the overall comfort of this mattress and the Ultra Breathable technology that it incorporates helps increase the airflow through the mattress and keeps you cool all night long.
Firmness and Support
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is designed to appeal to a wide range of sleepers and we felt it to be a medium firm mattress, falling somewhere around a 6 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being the firmest).
The soft pillow top combined with the gel memory foam comfort layer below a soft feel and allowed me to sink into a mattress to a certain degree for a perfect pressure relief.
The slightly firmer support and transition layers beneath with the pocketed coil layer did an excellent job of providing extraordinary support to those areas of my body where I needed it most.
Zoning technology used in the coil layer offered a softer feel under shoulders and firmer under hips which made this mattress perfect for side sleeping. In addition these layers lifted my heavy weight and our weights combined as a couple with ease and helped distribute them evenly across the bed.
All in all, it did a great job of meeting our individual firmness and support needs and provided us with what each of us enjoy in the same bed.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is extremely comfortable in that its unique construction and quality materials provide a medium feel and a perfect balance of comfort and support.
The premium quilted pillow top increases the overall comfort of this mattress and gives the feeling of sleeping on clouds and eliminates any possibility of the appearance of pressure points.
It also has a nice degree of responsiveness that facilitates moving around in bed during the night and makes this mattress perfect for sex.
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress does an excellent job at sleeping cool due to its pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat and a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow, create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Helix Midnight Luxe does a great job of minimizing the amount of sinkage and motion transfer.
It is true that I compressed the pillow top and comfort layer beneath it quite a bit, but the firmer support and transition layers combined with the pocketed coils prevented me from sinking further into the mattress and feeling enveloped by it.
These layers lifted my heavy weight with ease and distributed it evenly across the bed while the zoned technology of the pocketed coil layer provided just the right amount of support to those areas of my body where I needed it most. Kaye felt, the mattress did the same for her.
Edge support is excellent with this mattress and better than with many other beds we have reviewed so far due to the quality pocketed coils used in its construction.
There wasn’t too much motion transfer with this mattress due to its unique construction that prevented any sleep disturbance.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Helix Midnight Luxe gets high marks in this category for not having much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box. Its hybrid design significantly reduced the amount of of-gassing and any smell that was present dissipated within a few hours.
Helix Sleep provides about the standard amount of customer service you can expect in a “Bed In A Box” online mattress retailer. This includes:
- 100 Night Sleep Trial
- 15 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- Free Shipping
- Money back guarantee
The Helix Midnight Luxe mattress is priced a bit higher and comes in at $1620 for a Queen.
However, for the level of customization you get and for a mattress of such a unique construction and highest-quality materials that are used in its construction, this is more than a reasonable price.
You can save $125 on a Helix Midnight Luxe! (Use Code: MFT125)
Construction and Materials
The Casper mattress is a 10″ all foam mattress made up of 4 layers:
- 1.5″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of open cell foam designed to provide cooling and comfort to the mattress.
- 1.5″ Response Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of responsive memory foam which provides bounce and responsiveness.
- 1.5″ Support Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of Zoned Support memory foam, which provides primary support and multi-regional zoned support to the areas of body where it is needed most including back, hips, and shoulders.
- 5.0″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 5″ of durable support foam that acts as the foundation and provides deep compression support.
The cover of the Casper mattress is made of a soft polyester blend. It is thick and snaps back into place quickly and won’t bunch up when you move around at night. It is removable as well so that it can be taken off and cleaned.
The exterior small dimples give the mattress a good feel and aid in breathability and increased airflow through its various layers.
Firmness and Support
The Casper comes in one universal firmness option designed to appeal to around 80% of sleepers, and we rate it at a 6.5 out of 10 (10 being the firmest).
Unlike the original Casper we reviewed that incorporated latex in its comfort layers, this one has a more supportive, faster response top comfort layer made of responsive foam.
The underlying comfort and support foam layers provide the body contouring and “sinking in” sensation that memory foam is normally known for, without being too soft and causing us to sink down too much and feel trapped in foam.
This mattress also provides enough support in the comfort layers without making Andrew sink all the way down through them and come to rest on the base and core support layers beneath as this updated version is also much denser and better made.
It does a great job of providing body hug and contour without causing you to feel trapped in foam, and it is supportive enough for all sleeping positions. It has enough give in the top comfort layer to support your shoulders and hips and enough firmness if you switch to your stomach and back.
As I have already mentioned, this mattress now includes Zoned Support which provides your body with optimal support in the areas where it is needed most such as your hips, back, and shoulders.
The new Casper mattress is much more comfortable than its predecessor which is largely due to the removal of the latex layer and including highest-quality foam layers.
The open cell foam used in the top comfort layer provides cooling and breathability and makes the mattress feel very comfortable for all types of sleepers.
The layer of responsive foam provides enough bounce and responsiveness needed when switching positions during the night and supporting your weight with ease, especially if you are a heavier sleeper like Andrew (230lbs) without causing too much motion transfer. All this makes this mattress excellent for sex as well.
The Casper has that classic memory foam body contouring and hug feel without causing the “sinking down into a hole” feel that traditional memory foam mattresses often tend to cause.
Although some review sites describe the Casper as being firm, we feel it is of perfect firmness with its responsive memory foam providing necessary bounce and responsiveness while cradling your body and creating that well-known feeling of hug typical for memory foam.
All in all, the new Casper is a comfortable, supportive and cool sleeping mattress that will provide you with a comfortable and sound sleep and the much-needed rest.
Being designed to sleep cool through advanced testing and molecular engineering, the Casper mattress, just like the Helix Midnight Luxe, does a great job at not sleeping hot. The open-cell foam used in the top comfort and cooling layer helps promote airflow throughout the night and prevent heat retention.
Casper even went so far as to have the thermal resistance tested by a third party lab, Element Materials Technology, and found it outperformed competitors.
As a couple living in Texas, we are very tough when it comes to beds that sleep hot and don’t do what they advertise, but the Casper does exactly what it says – it does not sleep hot at all.
The unique design and construction of this mattress prevents the buildup of heat and eliminates sweating during the night and the feeling of stickiness typical for most memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Although sinkage is largely weight dependent which means that heavier people will experience a larger degree of it than lighter people, the Casper does an excellent job at preventing excessive sinkage and preventing Andrew from bottoming out the mattress and rolling off its edges even though it is only 10″ thick.
Replacing the latex layer with foam did a great job at making the mattress responsive without causing excessive motion transfer, which makes it especially good for couples.
As mentioned, edge support is also great with this mattress, and better than in most all foam 10″ mattresses we have reviewed. The high-density foams used in its construction do a good job at providing even support throughout the mattress, including the edges and preventing us from rolling off them and Andrew from bottoming out the mattress.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Casper mattress gets high marks in this category for not having too much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box which most memory foam mattresses tend to have due to their construction and their plastic packages.
With this mattress, there was markedly less off-gassing and odor which was rather surprising to us given its all foam construction.
- Engineered in-house at Casper Labs
- Designed and assembled in the USA
- Compatible with Casper sheets, pillow, duvet, foundation, and adjustable bed frame.
- 100 night Trial period
- 10 Year warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- Certi-Pur certified
The Casper mattress is very reasonably priced, coming in at $995 for a Queen, which is an excellent price given the quality of the materials used in the construction of this bed.
Helix Midnight Luxe vs. Casper Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Helix Midnight Luxe vs. Casper mattress.
|Helix Midnight Luxe||Casper|
|Layers||1″ of Gel memory foam, 2″ of Memory Plus Foam, 1″ of high-density High-Grade Polyfoam, 8″ of individually wrapped coils, 1″ of DuraDense high density support foam||1.5″ of open cell foam, 1.5″ of responsive memory foam, 1.5″ of Zoned Support memory foam|
|Cover||An extremely soft 1-inch quilted premium pillow top made up of high-density polyurethane foam||Thick, dimpled and removable, made of a soft polyester blend|
|Firmness||Customized||6.5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||No motion transfer||Minimal|
|Warranty||15 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||100 days||100 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Helix Midnight Luxe mattress if you like:
- Sleeping on your side and back – This mattress provides the support necessary for side sleeping and back sleeping without causing any discomfort in hips and shoulders that some mattresses often cause. The plush top comfort layers provide perfect pressure relief for hips and shoulders while pocketed coil system lifts your body weight and provides excellent support.
- A mattress that sleeps cool – The Helix Midnight Luxe sleeps quite cool due to its unique pocketed coil layer that allows the air to circulate freely through the mattress and prevent the build up of heat and a special Ultra Breathable Cover designed to increase airflow through the top of the mattress in order to create a pleasant sleeping surface and keep you cool during the night.
- Beds with excellent support – This mattress features an 8″ thick Zoned Body Shape layer consisting of individually wrapped coils that serve to cradle and support your body while sleeping. They provide the right amount of support to those areas of your body where it is needed most. It offers a softer feel under your shoulders and firmer under hips to cradle your body, align your spine and provide advanced lumbar and edge support.
Choose Casper mattress if you like:
- A supportive mattress – This mattress provides enough support in the comfort layers without making you compress through them, and it is suitable for all sleeping styles. It also includes Zoned Support which provides your body with optimal support in the areas where it is needed most such as your hips, back, and shoulders.
- Memory foam feel – The top comfort layer of the Casper mattress made of responsive memory foam creates that classic memory foam body contouring and hug feel without causing the feeling of being trapped in foam that traditional memory foam mattresses often tend to cause.
- A mattress that sleeps cool – The Casper mattress sleeps incredibly cool throughout the entire night. The open-cell foam used in the top comfort and cooling layer works together with a dimpled cover to promote airflow through the mattress, prevent heat retention, and create a cool and comfortable sleep surface necessary for a quality and sound night’s sleep.