GhostBed vs. Tempur Pedic
The innerspring mattresses used to be the leading choice for bedding for many years in the past, but since the invention of the memory foam by NASA in the 1970s, which promised to relieve pain and provide quality sleep, this was no longer the case.
This discovery prompted people to seek the mattresses capable of providing the comfort they needed and meeting all their sleep needs and preferences. As the result, many types of memory foam mattresses emerged offering numerous benefits, and Tempur Pedic was one of the first mattress companies to launch an all memory foam mattress.
However, although Tempur Pedic were the pioneers in memory foam mattress industry, and although they may have the name recognition, it does not necessarily mean they are the best.
There are many other mattress companies offering memory foam mattresses of the same or even better quality, and today we’ll be comparing the Tempur Pedic’s vs GhostBed to illustrate the differences between different types of memory foam mattresses and help you choose the right one for your needs. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The GhostBed is a product of Nature’s Sleep, a veteran company in the mattress industry as well. It is an 11″ combination of latex and memory foam designed to appeal to a wide majority of sleepers and consists of the following layers:
- 1.5″ Top cooling & comfort layer – This layer is made of 1.5″ of aerated latex foam, designed to provide instant responsiveness and a nice degree of bounce, and create a cool and comfortable sleep surface.
- 2″ Middle support layer – This layer is made of 2″ of gel memory foam designed to provide support and pressure relief. It is less responsive than the top layer and acts as the core support layer. The gel also helps with heat dissipation and aids in cooling.
- 7.5″ Bottom foundation layer – This layer is made of 7.5″ of high-density support foam and acts as the foundation for the above foam layers.
The GhostBed mattress has a soft and thin 100% polyester cover with a unique stretchy and plush dimpled pattern. You can feel the top dimples through the sheets and they offer the massaging feel. The cover also improves airflow through the mattress and aids in cooling.
Firmness and Support
The GhostBed comes in universal firmness option and feels around a 7 out of 10 on the firmness scale (10 being firmest).
The combination of latex and memory foam in this mattress provides responsiveness and support ideal for all sleeping positions. The latex offers enough push-back and prevents you from sinking too much into the foam, while the foam beneath adapts to your weight and contours your body.
The unique construction of this bed felt more on the firmer side for my boyfriend Andrew. It perfectly supported his heavier weight (230lbs) and prevented him from sinking down to the foundation when sitting or lying on the mattress.
He did not feel pressure points when sleeping on his side though as this mattress offers enough give in the top layers for a comfortable sleep and yet has the firmness necessary if you switch to your back or stomach.
The GhostBed has a very soft and comfortable exterior and when you lie down on it, the latex and gel foam layers work together to provide a balanced feel in most sleeping positions. As the top layer is latex, it doesn’t hug or envelop your body like the memory foam.
The cover also provides a very enjoyable feel through the sheets, and as the time passes, the mattress totally adapts to your body.
The GhostBed does a pretty good job in this category as the thin breathable cover and the 1.5″ of aerated latex foam and 2″ of gel memory foam work together to prevent the build-up of heat and eliminate the sticky, sweaty feeling typical for most memory foam mattresses. So the mattress remains cool throughout the entire night and allows a sound and quality sleep.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
With the GhostBed, we experienced minimal sinkage due to the latex in its top comfort layers, its dense support layers and its 11″ thickness. It didn’t cause me to roll into Andrew which was our problem with many other memory foam mattresses.
There is also minimal motion transfer with this bed. It does a good job at isolating motion transfer when shifting positions or getting in and out of bed during the night and is, therefore, perfect for couples.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The GhostBed didn’t have any noticeable odor upon opening the box which is typical for most memory foam mattresses that are shipped compressed in a box. Any smell that was present dissipated within a few hours.
- 101 Night Sleep trial
- Free Shipping – ships fast usually within 24 hours
- 20 Year Warranty
- American Made
- No questions asked 100% return
The GhostBed is very reasonably priced for the quality it delivers, and it comes in at $750 for a Queen.
Follow this Memory Foam Talk Coupon link to receive $100 off the GhostBed as well as 2 pillows at $270. The company also offers a matching foundation to compliment the mattress at only $225.
Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze
Construction and Materials
Tempur-Pedic, unlike other mattress companies, don’t share a lot of information about their technology. They consider it proprietary information, so there are not many details about the materials they use for the construction of their mattresses, density of the layers, etc.
Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze is an all-foam mattress by design and it is based on the following layers:
- PureCool+ Phase Change Top Layer: This is their new comfort layer that includes exclusive technology designed to wick heat away from the body and provide a cooling layer. All memory foam, no gel materials or anything, and not a lot of public information on exactly what the Breeze consists of.
- TEMPUR-CM+ Layer: This is their support layer, made of the advanced TEMPUR material which allows maximum airflow and works with the top layer to dissipate heat for all-night cooling comfort and provide overall sleep support.
- The Foundation Layer: This Layer is made of the Ventilated TEMPUR-APR material which is known to be one of the most pressure relieving materials ever and now it also comes with an ultra breathable design. It serves as the core foundation of this mattress and provides overall support and base for the mattress.
The cover of the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze comes with a SmartClimate Dual Cover System. It is an advanced zip-off cover with double the cool-to-touch power that cool and pleasant to the touch and that will also make you feel cooler when you lie down.
Firmness & Support
The new Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze soft model is quite soft when compared to other models. The PureCool+ Phase Change layer and TEMPUR-CM+ layer of this mattress place it around a 4-5 on a 10-point scale (10 being the firmest). So, when you lay on the mattress, you sink into it quite a bit, especially if you are a heavier sleeper like Andrew (230lbs).
The Tempur Pedic differs from many other memory foam mattresses in that it may initially seem to sleep hot or be too hard. However, the company recommends a 2-3 week “break-in” period for your body to acclimate to the mattress, and as the time passes your body totally adapts to it.
As it has been already mentioned, the new Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze soft is a very soft model and it gives you the feeling of sleeping on a could. It is extremely comfortable, it cushions your body and feels super luxurious.
Although it doesn’t have any special technology and materials included in its construction, its high-quality, heavy foam for which it is known perfectly conforms and adapts to your body.
Tempur Pedics used to be known for sleeping hot. The early models would be hot in the summer, and hard and cold in the winter. The ones we have used and slept on were no different.
The company has introduced their special cooling technology to address this, which is a key feature in the Tempur Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze model which to a degree isn’t bad, but really is just more layers of memory foam designed to wick heat away.
These innovations are equally as effective as those of the mattresses including the newer heat regulating technology such as the use of copper, gel cooling layer or latex. Their new cooling technology does keep the mattress much cooler than previous generations of Tempur Pedic models for sure.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Tempur Pedics are known for having a very minimal motion transfer, due to the use of a high-quality dense foam in their construction.
However, sinkage with the new Cloud Luxe Breeze is a little pronounced because it is Tempur Pedic’s softest model, and when Andrew sat down on it, it compressed quite a bit but did not cause him to sink down to the foundation.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Although there was a significant chemical smell with the earlier Tempur Pedics, they seemed to have addressed this with the current models, and with their delivery of uncompressed mattresses. So, no noticeable smell comes from the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
Tempur Pedic used to sell their mattresses through major mattress retailers exclusively which helped them avoid dealing directly with the customers. Lately, however, they began selling their mattresses online as well.
Tempur Pedic customer service includes:
- 90 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- In-home delivery guaranteed by Tempur Pedic.
Although Tempur Pedics are generally expensive (a queen Cloud Luxe Breeze costs $4499), the company offers discounts which can help you save up to 30% on certain sizes of the Cloud Luxe Breeze.
GhostBed vs. Tempur Pedic Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the GhostBed vs. Tempur Pedic mattress.
|GhostBed||Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze|
|Layers||1.5″ of aerated latex foam, 2″ of gel memory foam, 7.5″ of high-density support foam||PureCool+ Phase Change Top Layer, TEMPUR-CM+ Layer, Ventilated TEMPUR-APR Foundation Layer|
|Cover||Soft and thin 100% polyester cover with a unique stretchy and plush dimpled pattern||Thin, removable cotton cover|
|Firmness||7 out of 10||4-5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Very minimal||Very minimal|
|Warranty||20 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||101 days||90 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||In-home delivery|
|Refunds & Returns||No questions asked 100% return||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You
Choose GhostBed if you like:
- A mattress that sleeps cool – The Ghostbed uses gel-infused memory foam in its construction and aerated latex foam to prevent the retention of heat and create a cool and comfortable sleep surface. It also has a soft and thin polyester cover that allows a good airflow through the mattress and aids in cooling.
- A mattress with universal feel – The GhostBed comes in a universal firmness option which means it is designed in such way to appeal to a wide array of sleeping preferences. It provides enough comfort and support suitable for multiple positions.
- Pressure relief with bounce – The combination of the soft latex comfort layer with the memory foam beneath it provides enough pressure relief while at the same time it offers a nice degree of bounce and responsiveness.
- Supportive mattress– The 11″ thickness of this mattress, the use of latex in its top comfort layers, and its support layers made of dense foam provide an excellent support for any sleeping position and sleepers of different weights, even heavier ones like my boyfriend.
Choose Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze if you like:
- The feel of the memory foam – If you like the soft feel of full memory foam mattresses, then the Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe Breeze may be the right choice for you. It is an all foam mattress, made of the high-quality dense foam layers that provide necessary comfort and hug typical for memory foam.
- Soft mattresses – Cloud Luxe Breeze a very soft all foam mattress. Its top comfort layers provide enough cushioning and they perfectly mold to your body.
- Sharing your bed – Memory foam is known for causing minimal or no motion transfer at all, and the Cloud Luxe Breeze does a good job at isolating excessive motion transfer as well due to its dense memory foam layers. Therefore, if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner, this mattress may be ideal for you. You can change your position or get in and out of bed during the night freely without disturbing your beloved one.