Brentwood Home Cedar vs. Zenhaven
Are you in the market for the new mattress? Are you looking for the well-known brands of mattresses made up of the highest-quality materials? If so, then the Brentwood Home Cedar and the Zenhaven mattress from the makers of the Saatva and Loom and Leaf mattresses should definitely be considered.
The Brentwood Home Cedar is a new natural latex and micro-coil hybrid mattress that Brentwood Home recently released while the Zenhaven is an all natural latex mattress. Both are made of all natural, eco-friendly materials, and both possess the qualities that make them capable of providing you with sound and luxurious sleep.
This review will present you with the basic characteristics and benefits of both, and help you find out which one would better suit your needs.
Brentwood Home Cedar
Construction and Materials
The Brentwood Home Cedar is a 13″ latex and pocketed coil hybrid. It is a “green” mattress made up of all natural materials including natural latex, GOTS certified organic cotton fiber, organic coconut husks, New Zealand wool, and natural flax seed.
- 2″ Latex Layer – This layer is 2″ of natural Dunlop latex that provides pressure relief, comfort and responsiveness to the mattress, and combines with the grooved latex layer beneath for support and cooling.
- 2″ Latex Comfort Layer – This layer is 2″ of grooved Dunlop latex cut into 3 separate zones to provide comfort and support for the body and aid in ventilation and airflow for a cooler sleeping environment.
- 8″ Support Layer – This layer is 8″ of individually wrapped coils which provide the core mattress support and deep compression support for the body during sleep. Reinforced coils in the lumbar region provide support for the lower back, while edge retention coils provide appropriate edge support.
- 1″ Base Support Layer – This layer is 1″ of organic coconut husks which help with circulation and have anti-microbial properties.
The Cedar mattress has an organic hand–tufted cotton cover that is naturally pesticide free, eco-friendly, and quilted with natural fire-retardant silica sand.
It covers a layer of New Zealand wool that wicks away moisture, allows the circulation of air, and provides temperature regulation naturally via wool’s natural temperate regulating properties. In addition to this, the mattress has organic cotton tailored tweed sides, and custom handles.
Firmness and Support
The Cedar mattress comes in only one firmness option, which is medium firm and it scores 6-7 out of 10, with 10 being the firmest.
The micro coil construction and the latex in the top layers of this mattress provide more response and push-back than foam mattresses and give you the feeling of “floating on top of” the mattress, combined with the bouncier feeling of the supportive pocketed coil springs.
With its 13″ design, the Cedar mattress provides an excellent support for sleepers of different weights in all sleeping positions. It has the firmness necessary for back and stomach sleeping and offers enough give in the top comfort layers to support shoulders and hips. It is a really supportive mattress and yet soft enough to be comfortable.
The premium materials used in the construction of the Cedar mattress make it quite comfortable. The soft cover with the quilted layer of organic cotton and the latex and coil layers combine to provide a very comfortable sleeping surface and a nice degree of responsiveness and bounce.
The Cedar mattress does a good job at sleeping cool due to its specific construction. You will not get the sticky sweaty feeling that some mattresses cause as the natural materials and micro coil system used in the construction of this mattress allow excellent airflow and prevent the build-up of heat.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
There is a minimal degree of sinkage with this mattress and a decent amount of motion transfer due to its coil and latex design, but this again largely depends on the weight of the sleepers.
Edge support in this mattress is good, as the edges do not compress when sitting or lying near them and there is no feeling of “rolling off” the edge. Its 13″ thick construction prevents the heavier sleepers like Andrew to sink to the foundation when sitting on the edge.
As for the motion transfer, the bouncy latex and coil construction of the Cedar causes some motion transfer when sleeping and changing positions during the night.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Cedar mattress gets high marks in this category for not releasing any noticeable smell upon opening the box. This has to do with the natural materials included in its construction which do not contain chemicals or petroleum by-products that usually produce the smell.
- 120 Night Sleep Trial
- 25 Year Warranty
- Handmade in Los Angeles at their own facility
- No questions asked return policy
- Free Shipping
The Cedar mattress is a little bit pricey coming in at $1795 for a Queen (save 15% by clicking here and entering code MFT15). But, this is a good value given the quality materials used in the construction of this bed.
Construction and Materials
The Zenhaven mattress is a 10″ all natural Talalay latex mattress made up of 4 layers of 100% latex, with a unique flippable design which provides two different firmness options in the same mattress.
- 2 ” Comfort Layer – This layer is made up of 2″ of 100% Talalay latex with a unique 5-zone comfort layer that provides support for different areas of the body and a cool, responsive sleep surface.
- 3″ Support Layer – This layer is 3″ of denser Talalay latex, with an ILD (indention load deflection – a measure of firmness) of 25-29 when Luxury Plush is selected. This thicker layer under the top layer provides support and pressure relief.
- 3″ Support Layer – This layer is 3″ of firmer Talalay latex, with an ILD of 30-34 which, when the mattress is in the Firm setting, provides the firmer response from the latex with more push-back and a firmer overall feel. When in the Luxury Plush setting, this layer provides more support beneath the softer upper layers.
- 2 ” Comfort Layer – This layer is the same 2″ of 100% Talalay latex on the top layer of the mattress that when flipped over becomes the comfort layer.
The Talalay latex that this mattress uses is the American sourced latex, and it is hypoallergenic and resistant to mold, microbes, and dust mites. It does not contain harmful volatile organic compounds (VOCs) or other chemicals as well.
The cover of the Zenhaven mattress is made up of 100% organic New Zealand wool which is a natural temperature regulator. It is wrapped in a very soft and luxurious organic cotton and adds to the overall high quality and luxury feel of the Zenhaven mattress.
Firmness and Support
The Zenhaven mattress, unlike the Brentwood Home Cedar, comes with two firmness options on the same mattress that can be adjusted simply by flipping the mattress over. Both sides have the same cover and comfort layer, but with different firmnesses: Gentle Firm and Luxury Plush.
The Luxury plush side provides more of a sleeping on top” of the mattress feel vs. a “sleeping down in” feel typical for memory foam mattresses due to its latex construction, and it scores 5-6 out of 10 on the firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest.
The Gentle Firm side of the Zenhaven mattress is markedly firmer than the Luxury Plush setting and it feels around a 7-8 out of 10, with 10 being firmest.
Both sides of this mattress provide enough give in the top comfort layers to support shoulders and hips and have the firmness necessary for back and stomach sleeping which makes it ideal for all sleeping positions. The unique 5-zone support system provides support in the areas where it is needed most, while the buoyant Talalay latex provides good contouring to your body and a nice degree of push-back.
This mattress provides a perfect balance of comfort and support in all sleeping positions which is why it is so much loved by customers. The soft and supple Talalay latex used in the construction of the Zenhaven provides great body contouring, responsiveness, and comfort, while the soft organic cotton and wool cover contribute to its overall luxuriousness.
The latex construction of the Zenhaven combined with the wool layer and organic cotton prevents the build-up of heat, keeps the mattress cool, and eliminates the feeling of stickiness usually present in full memory foam mattresses. It keeps you cool during the whole night and allows undisturbed and quality sleep.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
With the Zenhaven mattress, sinkage is reduced to the minimum, even on the softer Luxury Plush side, due to its 100% latex construction. It provides excellent support to heavier sleepers like my partner Andrew (230lbs) and prevents them from compressing the mattress and sinking into it when sitting or lying.
Edge support is also good with this mattress as the edges do not compress when sitting or lying near them, and there is no feeling of “rolling off” the edges.
As for motion transfer, there is some motion transfer present due to the all latex nature of this mattress, but it is significantly lower than in most other mattresses we have tested.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Zenhaven gets high marks in this category for not having any smell upon the delivery as the mattress does not arrive compressed in a box like other “Bed In A Box” mattresses. The all natural Talalay latex design of this mattress contributes to this.
- 75 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- $99 White Glove shipping and setup of the mattress within your home.
The Zenhaven mattress, like the Brentwood Home Cedar, is priced higher than most other mattresses we have reviewed. It comes in at $1899 for a Queen, but this is quite a reasonable price for a mattress of such a high quality.
Brentwood Home Cedar vs. Zenhaven Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Brentwood Home Cedar vs. Zenhaven mattress.
|Brentwood Home Cedar||Zenhaven|
|Layers||2″ of natural Dunlop latex, 2″ of grooved Dunlop latex, 8″ of individually wrapped coils, 1″ of organic coconut husks||2″ of 100% Talalay latex with a unique 5-zone comfort layer, 3″ of denser Talalay latex, 3″ of firmer Talalay latex, 2″ of 100% Talalay latex|
|Cover||Organic hand–tufred cotton cover that is naturally pesticide free, eco-friendly, and quilted with natural fire-retardant silica sand||Made up of 100% organic New Zealand wool wrapped in a very soft and luxurious organic cotton|
|Firmness||6-7 out of 10||Luxury plush side: 5-6 out of 10
Gentle Firm side: 7-8 out of 10
|Warranty||25 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||120 days||75 nights|
|Shipping||Free shipping||$99 White Glove shipping and setup of the mattress within your home|
|Refunds & Returns||No questions asked return policy||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Brentwood Home Cedar mattress if you like:
- Eco-friendly materials – The Cedar mattress is a green mattress incorporating natural materials such as natural latex, coconut husks, natural flaxseed, organic cotton, and New Zealand Wool. It is one of the most natural mattresses you’ll find online, made without pesticides, toxins and harmful chemicals.
- Pressure relief – This mattress offers excellent pressure relief due to the zoned support in the 2″ latex comfort layer.
- Comfort and bounce – The soft cover with the quilted layer of organic cotton and the latex and coil layers combine to provide a very comfortable sleeping surface and a nice degree of responsiveness and bounce.
Choose Zenhaven mattress if you like:
- Flippable mattress – The Zenhaven comes with two firmness options, Gentle Firm and Luxury Plush, within the same mattress. They can be easily adjusted simply by flipping the mattress over.
- An all-natural mattress – The Zenhaven is made up of 100% organic cotton, wool, and natural latex. Therefore, it is an all-natural, eco-friendly mattress.
- Cool-sleeping mattress – The latex construction of the Zenhaven combined with the wool layer and organic cotton prevents the build-up of heat, keeps the mattress cool, and eliminates the feeling of stickiness usually present in full memory foam mattresses.