Bear vs. Tempur Pedic
Are you looking for a comfortable and supportive mattress made of the highest-quality? Perhaps a memory foam mattress may be the right choice for you.
Memory foam mattresses such are Bear and Tempur Pedic that we’ll be comparing in today’s review can provide ultimate support for your whole body, mold and conform to it perfectly, and evenly distribute your weight across the bed. Their specialized technology and contouring abilities may be an ideal solution for your achy joints, morning pains, and restless sleep.
Keep reading to find out all the specific features and benefits of these mattresses and pick the right one for your needs. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Bear mattress is a 10″ thick memory foam mattress made up of 3 layers of graphite gel-infused memory foam, quick response foam, and core support foam wrapped in a Celliant cover.
- 1″ Top comfort layer – This layer is made of 1″ of graphite-infused memory foam designed to provide cooling and comfort. Graphite-infused memory foam has been shown to be 7 times cooler than traditional memory foam.
- 2.5″ Middle support layer – This layer is made of 2.5″ of quick response foam and provides responsive support and pressure relief. The special proprietary Bear Quick Response Foam used here provides faster responsiveness when changing positions during the night.
- 6.5″ Bottom foundation layer – This layer is made of 6.5″ of core support foam that provides deep compression support and serves as the foundation for the layers above.
The Bear has a cover made of polyester and Celliant. Celliant cooling technology within this cover converts body heat into infrared light, helps with muscle recovery, and ensures quality sleep, which makes this mattress ideal for athletes and those with an active lifestyle.
Firmness and Support
The Bear mattress is a universal comfort mattress coming in at a 7 on the firmness scale (10 being firmest). The combination of graphite gel-infused memory foam and quick response foam in the comfort and support layers provides a somewhat firmer feel, but with time the mattress perfectly adapts to your body.
Andrew as a heavier sleeper than me felt the Bear was on the firmer side, which is often the case for him with many universal comfort memory foam mattresses.
This is because he tends to compress through thinner top comfort layers and feel the underlying firmer foundation layers beneath, but I felt it was just right as I generally prefer mattresses with a firmer feel. With time, however, it totally adapted to our bodies and seemed less firm to Andrew.
The 10-inch design of this mattress and the combination of different foam layers in its construction provide a good support for various sleep positions. The 3.5″ comfort layer provides enough responsiveness and bounce and works together with the underlying core support layer to prevent you from sinking too much in the mattress, and it is especially good for heavier sleepers like my boyfriend.
The graphite gel-infused memory foam, a quick response foam, and overall construction of this mattress provide a comfortable sleep in all sleeping positions.
The mattress quickly responds to changes in position during the night, and it does not cause the feeling of being stuck in foam typical for most memory foam mattresses.
The Bear mattress also has a good degree of bounce coming from the responsive foam layer used in its construction, which is especially beneficial for late night’s amorous activities of couples.
The Bear mattress sleeps quite cool due to its use of the graphite gel-infused memory foam known to sleep 7x cooler than traditional foam. It not only stimulates faster muscle recovery but also prevents heat retention and creates a cool and comfortable sleep surface that allows continuous and restful sleep.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
There was an average amount of sinkage with the Bear mattress, but this was mostly due to Andrew’s heavier weight (230 lbs).
When sitting up or near the edge, he compressed the mattress to a certain degree. However, when lying prone on the bed during the night, the mattress did a good job at supporting his body, and it distributed his weight evenly. As a lighter sleeper, I did not sink into the mattress so much.
As for motion transfer, there is a moderate amount of it with the Bear due to the use of the responsive memory foam layer in its construction, but it is nothing too serious to disturb your sleep during the night.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Bear Mattress has a minimal amount of off-gassing upon opening the box, which is to be expected due to its all foam construction and the nature of its delivery. However, any smell that is present dissipates within a few hours.
- 100 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- No questions asked return policy
- Free Shipping
The Bear is reasonably priced coming in at $850 for a Queen, but you can get it for only $800 with $50 memoryfoamtalk.com coupon.
Tempur Luxe Breeze
Construction and Materials
Tempur-Pedic, unlike other mattress companies, don’t share a lot of information about their technology. They consider it proprietary information, so there are not many details about the materials they use for the construction of their mattresses, density of the layers, etc.
Tempur Luxe Breeze is an all-foam mattress by design and it is based on the following layers:
- PureCool+ Phase Change Top Layer: This is their new comfort layer that includes exclusive technology designed to wick heat away from the body and provide a cooling layer. All memory foam, no gel materials or anything, and not a lot of public information on exactly what the Breeze consists of.
- TEMPUR-CM+ Layer: This is their support layer, made of the advanced TEMPUR material which allows maximum airflow and works with the top layer to dissipate heat for all-night cooling comfort and provide overall sleep support.
- The Foundation Layer: This layer is made of the Ventilated TEMPUR-APR material which is known to be one of the most pressure-relieving materials ever and now it also comes with an ultra-breathable design. It serves as the core foundation of this mattress and provides overall support and base for the mattress.
The cover of the Tempu Luxe Breeze comes with a SmartClimate Dual Cover System. It is an advanced zip-off cover with double the cool-to-touch power that is cool and pleasant to the touch and that will also make you feel cooler when you lie down.
Firmness & Support
The new Tempur Luxe Breeze soft model is quite soft when compared to other models and the Bear mattress. The PureCool+ Phase Change layer and TEMPUR-CM+ layer of this mattress place it around a 4-5 on a 10-point scale (10 being the firmest). So, when you lay on the mattress, you sink into it quite a bit, especially if you are a heavier sleeper like Andrew (230lbs).
The Tempur Pedic differs from many other memory foam mattresses in that it may initially seem to sleep hot or be too hard. However, the company recommends a 2-3 week “break-in” period for your body to acclimate to the mattress, and as time passes your body totally adapts to it.
As it has been already mentioned, the new Tempur Luxe Breeze soft is a very soft model and it gives you the feeling of sleeping on a could. It is extremely comfortable, it cushions your body and feels super luxurious.
Although it doesn’t have any special technology and materials included in its construction, its high-quality, heavy foam for which it is known perfectly conforms and adapts to your body.
Tempur Pedics used to be known for sleeping hot. The early models would be hot in the summer, and hard and cold in the winter. The ones we have used and slept on were no different.
The company has introduced their special cooling technology to address this, which is a key feature in the Tempur Luxe Breeze model which to a degree isn’t bad, but really is just more layers of memory foam designed to wick heat away.
These innovations are equally as effective as those of the Bear mattress and other mattresses including the newer heat-regulating technology such as the use of copper, gel cooling layer, or latex. Their new cooling technology does keep the mattress much cooler than previous generations of Tempur Pedic models for sure.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Tempur Pedics are known for having a very minimal motion transfer, due to the use of high-quality dense foam in their construction.
However, sinkage with the new Luxe Breeze is a little pronounced, because it is Tempur Pedic’s softest model, and when Andrew sat down on it, it compressed quite a bit but did not cause him to sink down to the foundation.
Smell / Off-Gassing
Although there was a significant chemical smell with the earlier Tempur Pedics, they seemed to have addressed this with the current models, and with their delivery of uncompressed mattresses. So, no noticeable smell comes from the Luxe Breeze.
Tempur Pedic used to sell their mattresses through major mattress retailers exclusively which helped them avoid dealing directly with the customers. Lately, however, they began selling their mattresses online as well.
Tempur Pedic customer service includes:
- 90 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- In-home delivery guaranteed by Tempur Pedic.
Although Tempur Pedics are generally expensive (a queen Cloud Luxe Breeze costs $5399), the company offers discounts that can help you save up to 30% on certain sizes of the Luxe Breeze.
Bear vs. Tempur Pedic Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Bear vs. Tempur Luxe Breeze mattress.
|Bear||Tempur Luxe Breeze|
|Layers||1″ of graphite infused memory foam, 2.5″ of quick response foam, 6.5″ of core support foam||The TEMPUR-ES Breeze layer, the TEMPUR-Climate layer, the Foundation Layer|
|Cover||Made of polyester and Celliant||Thin, removable cotton cover|
|Firmness||7 out of 10||4-5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Moderate amount of motion transfer||Very minimal|
|Warranty||10 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||100 days||90 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||In-home delivery|
|Refunds & Returns||No questions asked return policy||Yes|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Bear mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel without the feeling of being trapped – The layer of responsive memory foam within this mattress allows you to change positions during the night, and it does not cause the feeling of being stuck in foam typical for most memory foam mattresses.
- A cool-sleeping mattress – The unique design of this mattress combining the graphite gel-infused memory foam and the Celliant does a good job at regulating temperature and keeping this mattress cool throughout the entire night.
- Leading an active lifestyle – Celliant cooling technology incorporated within the cover of the Bear mattress converts body heat into infrared light, helps with muscle recovery, and ensures a quality sleep, which makes this mattress ideal for athletes and those with an active lifestyle
Choose Tempur Luxe Breeze if you like:
- The feel of the memory foam – If you like the soft feel of full memory foam mattresses, then the Tempur Luxe Breeze may be the right choice for you. It is an all-foam mattress, made of high-quality dense foam layers that provide the necessary comfort and hug typical for memory foam.
- Soft mattresses – The Luxe Breeze is a very soft all-foam mattress. Its top comfort layers provide enough cushioning and they perfectly mold to your body.
- Sharing your bed – Memory foam is known for causing minimal or no motion transfer at all, and the Luxe Breeze does a good job at isolating excessive motion transfer as well due to its dense memory foam layers. Therefore, if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner, this mattress may be ideal for you. You can change your position or get in and out of bed during the night freely without disturbing your beloved one.