Bear vs. Casper
We are back with another comparison. This time we take a look at two unique all foam mattresses coming from two leaders of the online mattress industry: Bear vs Casper.
One has won acclaim for its unique construction incorporating Celliant technology designed to stimulate faster muscle recovery and address all sleep needs of those with an active lifestyle, while the other is an updated one-size-fits-all version of one of the 2014 bestselling mattresses.
Keep reading and learn which one may be an ideal match for your specific needs and preferences. Last updated
Construction and Materials
The Bear mattress is a 10″ thick memory foam mattress made up of 3 layers of graphite gel-infused memory foam, quick response foam, and core support foam wrapped in a Celliant cover.
- 1″ Top comfort layer – This layer is made of 1″ of graphite-infused memory foam designed to provide cooling and comfort. Graphite-infused memory foam has been shown to be 7 times cooler than traditional memory foam.
- 2.5″ Middle support layer – This layer is made of 2.5″ of quick response foam and provides responsive support and pressure relief. The special proprietary Bear Quick Response Foam used here provides faster responsiveness when changing positions during the night.
- 6.5″ Bottom foundation layer – This layer is made of 6.5″ of core support foam that provides deep compression support and serves as the foundation for the layers above.
The Bear has a cover made of polyester and Celliant. Celliant cooling technology within this cover converts body heat into infrared light, helps with muscle recovery, and ensures a quality sleep, which makes this mattress ideal for athletes and those with an active lifestyle.
Firmness and Support
The Bear mattress is a universal comfort mattress coming in at a 7 on the firmness scale (10 being firmest). The combination of graphite gel-infused memory foam and quick response foam in the comfort and support layers provides a somewhat firmer feel, but with time the mattress perfectly adapts to your body.
Andrew as a heavier sleeper than me felt the Bear was on the firmer side, which is often the case for him with many universal comfort memory foam mattresses.
This is because he tends to compress through thinner top comfort layers and feel the underlying firmer foundation layers beneath, but I felt it was just right as I generally prefer mattresses with a firmer feel. With the time, however, it totally adapted to our bodies and seemed less firm to Andrew.
The 10-inch design of this mattress and the combination of different foam layers in its construction provide a good support for various sleep positions. The 3.5″ comfort layer provides enough responsiveness and bounce and works together with the underlying core support layer to prevent you from sinking too much in the mattress, and it is especially good for heavier sleepers like my boyfriend.
The graphite gel-infused memory foam, a quick response foam, and overall construction of this mattress provide a comfortable sleep in all sleeping positions.
The mattress quickly responds to changes in position during the night, and it does not cause the feeling of being stuck in foam typical for most memory foam mattresses.
The Bear mattress also has a good degree of bounce coming from the responsive foam layer used in its construction, which is especially beneficial for late night’s amorous activities of couples.
The Bear mattress sleeps quite cool due to its use of the graphite gel-infused memory foam known to sleep 7x cooler than a traditional foam. It not only stimulates faster muscle recovery, but also prevents heat retention and creates a cool and comfortable sleep surface that allows continuous and restful sleep.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
There was an average amount of sinkage with the Bear mattress, but this was mostly due to Andrew’s heavier weight (230 lbs).
When sitting up or near the edge, he compressed the mattress to a certain degree. However, when lying prone on the bed during the night, the mattress did a good job at supporting his body, and it distributed his weight evenly. As a lighter sleeper, I did not sink into the mattress so much.
As for motion transfer, there is a moderate amount of it with the Bear due to the use of the responsive memory foam layer in its construction, but it is nothing too serious to disturb your sleep during the night.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Bear Mattress has a minimal amount of off-gassing upon opening the box, which is to be expected due to its all foam construction and the nature of its delivery. However, any smell that is present dissipates within a few hours.
- 100 Night Sleep Trial
- 10 Year Warranty
- Made in America
- No questions asked return policy
- Free Shipping
The Bear is reasonably priced coming in at $850 for a Queen, but you can get it for only $800 with $50 memoryfoamtalk.com coupon.
Construction and Materials
The Casper mattress is a 10″ all foam mattress made up of 4 layers:
- 1.5″ Top Comfort Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of open cell foam designed to provide cooling and comfort to the mattress.
- 1.5″ Response Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of responsive memory foam which provides bounce and responsiveness.
- 1.5″ Support Layer – This layer is 1.5″ of Zoned Support memory foam, which provides primary support and multi-regional zoned support to the areas of body where it is needed most including back, hips, and shoulders.
- 5.0″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 5″ of durable support foam that acts as the foundation and provides deep compression support.
The cover of the Casper mattress is made of a soft polyester blend. It is thick and snaps back into place quickly and won’t bunch up when you move around at night. It is removable as well so that it can be taken off and cleaned.
The exterior small dimples give the mattress a good feel and aid in breathability and increased airflow through its various layers.
Firmness and Support
Just like the Bear mattress, the Casper comes in one universal firmness option designed to appeal to around 80% of sleepers, and we rate it at a 6.5 out of 10 (10 being the firmest).
Unlike the original Casper we reviewed that incorporated latex in its comfort layers, this one has a more supportive, faster response top comfort layer made of responsive foam.
The underlying comfort and support foam layers provide the body contouring and “sinking in” sensation that memory foam is normally known for, without being too soft and causing us to sink down too much and feel trapped in foam.
This mattress also provides enough support in the comfort layers without making Andrew sink all the way down through them and come to rest on the base and core support layers beneath as this updated version is also much denser and better made.
It does a great job of providing body hug and contour without causing you to feel trapped in foam, and it is supportive enough for all sleeping positions. It has enough give in the top comfort layer to support your shoulders and hips and enough firmness if you switch to your stomach and back.
As I have already mentioned, this mattress now includes Zoned Support which provides your body with optimal support in the areas where it is needed most such as your hips, back, and shoulders.
The new Casper mattress is much more comfortable than its predecessor which is largely due to the removal of the latex layer and including highest-quality foam layers.
The open cell foam used in the top comfort layer provides cooling and breathability and makes the mattress feel very comfortable for all types of sleepers.
The layer of responsive foam provides enough bounce and responsiveness needed when switching positions during the night and supporting your weight with ease, especially if you are a heavier sleeper like Andrew (230lbs) without causing too much motion transfer. All this makes this mattress excellent for sex as well.
The Casper, like the Bear, has that classic memory foam body contouring and hug feel without causing the “sinking down into a hole” feel that traditional memory foam mattresses often tend to cause. Although some review sites describe the Casper as being firm, we feel it is of perfect firmness with its responsive memory foam providing necessary bounce and responsiveness while cradling your body and creating that well-known feeling of hug typical for memory foam.
All in all, the new Casper is a comfortable, supportive and cool sleeping mattress that will provide you with a comfortable and sound sleep and the much-needed rest.
Being designed to sleep cool through advanced testing and molecular engineering, the Casper mattress does a great job at not sleeping hot. The open-cell foam used in the top comfort and cooling layer helps promote airflow throughout the night and prevent heat retention.
Casper even went so far as to have the thermal resistance tested by a third party lab, Element Materials Technology, and found it outperformed competitors.
As a couple living in Texas, we are very tough when it comes to beds that sleep hot and don’t do what they advertise, but the Casper does exactly what it says – it does not sleep hot at all. Just like it is the case with the Bear, the unique design and construction of this mattress prevents the buildup of heat and eliminates sweating during the night and the feeling of stickiness typical for most memory foam mattresses.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
Although sinkage is largely weight dependent which means that heavier people will experience a larger degree of it than lighter people, the Casper does an excellent job at preventing excessive sinkage and preventing Andrew from bottoming out the mattress and rolling off its edges even though it is only 10″ thick.
Replacing the latex layer with foam did a great job at making the mattress responsive without causing excessive motion transfer, which makes it especially good for couples.
As mentioned, edge support is also great with this mattress, and better than in most all foam 10″ mattresses we have reviewed. The high-density foams used in its construction do a good job at providing even support throughout the mattress, including the edges and preventing us from rolling off them and Andrew from bottoming out the mattress.
Smell / Off-Gassing
The Casper mattress gets high marks in this category for not having too much of a noticeable smell upon opening the box which most memory foam mattresses tend to have due to their construction and their plastic packages. With this mattress, there was markedly less off-gassing and odor which was rather surprising to us given its all foam construction.
- Engineered in-house at Casper Labs
- Designed and assembled in the USA
- Compatible with Casper sheets, pillow, duvet, foundation, and adjustable bed frame.
- 100 night Trial period
- 10 Year warranty
- Free Shipping
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- Certi-Pur certified
The Casper mattress is very reasonably priced, coming in at $995 for a Queen, which is an excellent price given the quality of the materials used in the construction of this bed.
Bear vs. Casper Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Bear vs. Casper mattress.
|Layers||1″ of graphite infused memory foam, 2.5″ of quick response foam, 6.5″ of core support foam||1.5″ of open cell foam, 1.5″ of responsive memory foam, 1.5″ of Zoned Support memory foam|
|Cover||Made of polyester and Celliant||Thick, dimpled and removable, made of a soft polyester blend|
|Firmness||7 out of 10||6.5 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Moderate amount of motion transfer||Minimal|
|Warranty||10 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||100 days||100 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||No questions asked return policy||100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Bear mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel without the feeling of being trapped – The layer of responsive memory foam within this mattress allows you to change positions during the night, and it does not cause the feeling of being stuck in foam typical for most memory foam mattresses.
- A cool-sleeping mattress – The unique design of this mattress combining the graphite gel-infused memory foam and the Celliant does a good job at regulating temperature and keeping this mattress cool throughout the entire night.
- Leading an active lifestyle – Celliant cooling technology incorporated within the cover of the Bear mattress converts body heat into infrared light, helps with muscle recovery, and ensures a quality sleep, which makes this mattress ideal for athletes and those with an active lifestyle
Choose Casper mattress if you like:
- A supportive mattress – This mattress provides enough support in the comfort layers without making you compress through them, and it is suitable for all sleeping styles. It also includes Zoned Support which provides your body with optimal support in the areas where it is needed most such as your hips, back, and shoulders.
- Memory foam feel – The top comfort layer of the Casper mattress made of responsive memory foam creates that classic memory foam body contouring and hug feel without causing the feeling of being trapped in foam that traditional memory foam mattresses often tend to cause.
- A mattress that sleeps cool – The Casper mattress sleeps incredibly cool throughout the entire night. The open-cell foam used in the top comfort and cooling layer works together with a dimpled cover to promote airflow through the mattress, prevent heat retention, and create a cool and comfortable sleep surface necessary for a quality and sound night’s sleep.