Avocado vs. Tomorrow Sleep
Mattresses provide the foundation for sleep and play an essential role in our spinal health. Choosing the right one can make all the difference when it comes to comfort and correct body support.
Hybrid mattresses have recently received a great deal of attention among customers. They are designed to offer sleepers the best features of other mattress types while minimizing the negatives.
Today we will be comparing two hybrid mattresses: Avocado (latex and coil hybrid) with Tomorrow Sleep (foam and coil hybrid) coming from the makers of Serta/Simmons.
Avocado is an eco-friendly combination of latex and coil offering a good degree of bounce and responsiveness while Tomorrow Sleep, introduced in June of 2017 by the industry heavyweight Serta/Simmons, was released to attempt to use all the years of expertise and innovations from the company to enter the new online direct-to-consumer mattress market.
Read our comparison below of these two popular mattresses and hopefully it will help you make a decision if you are trying to decide between these two hybrid mattresses!
Construction and Materials
The Avocado mattress is an 11″ hybrid mattress combining natural latex and pocketed coils. It consists of 3 layers and is available either with or without an additional pillow-top option.
- 2″ Comfort Layer – This layer is made of 2″ soft natural Dunlop latex designed to increase airflow and provide comfort and responsiveness to the mattress.
- 1″ Transition Layer – This layer is 1″ of the high-density Dunlop latex, which makes it slightly firmer and provides a transition between the upper comfort layer and the coil support layer.
- 8″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 8″ of individually pocketed innerspring coils (up to 1303 in the largest mattress) that provide the underlying support to the mattress. The coils are arranged in zones for greater comfort with 3 distinct areas to provide support where it is needed most.
The cover of the Avocado mattress is button-tufted and made up of 100% organic cotton and Joma New Zealand antimicrobial wool. It is soft to the touch, breathable, it provides a luxurious feel and helps with temperature control. Besides this, the Avocado mattress has hand-sewn upholstered handles on its sides for easier moving or rotating.
Firmness and Support
The Avocado mattress comes in only one firmness option which we rate as a 6 out of 10, (with 10 being the firmest.)
Its pocketed coil foundation layer provides good support, whereas the top latex layer provides more of a sensation of floating that is a specific characteristic of latex compared to the feel of memory foam.
There is also a large degree of bounce to the mattress coming from the latex foam and innerspring layers. The Avocado uses two different latex layers, a soft in the comfort layer and firmer in the transition layer that adds to the comfort when combined with the luxurious organic cotton and wool.
The latex will not provide you with a feeling of deep hug felt with layers of traditional memory foam, but it offers a good contouring and the mattress is suitable for all sleeping positions.
As for comfort, the Avocado mattress is a rather comfortable one. The coil base foundation provides your body with a good support while the top comfort layers provide you with a good contour.
It offers nice bounce and a high degree of pushback and response. Although latex may not provide you with a feeling of deep hug offered by memory foam, with time it will adapt to your body and become a lot more comfortable.
Apart from the organic cotton and wool cover, latex layers, and air circulation that innerspring coils offer, the Avocado mattress doesn’t have a large degree of cooling technology, but this is enough to keep your sleeping surface cool and comfortable and provide you with a quality night’s sleep.
Latex is known for its cooling properties, while wool acts as a natural temperature regulator. All this combined with a good airflow coming from the innerspring coils will prevent the build-up of heat and keep you cool throughout the entire night.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Avocado mattress has a minimal sinkage with the latex and coil construction doing an excellent job in providing the support and pushback. It offers solid edge support and eliminates the feeling of “rolling off“ of the mattress.
As for the motion transfer, it is a little bit higher than in most mattresses we have reviewed as the coils and latex provide a large degree of bounce and responsiveness. The heavier weight of my partner (230lbs) also caused the mattress to move more than usual.
The Avocado mattress doesn’t have any noticeable smell upon opening the box which is the result of the organic design and build of the mattress and the absence of foam in the construction. Therefore, it gets high marks in this category.
- 100 night Trial period
- 10-year Warranty
- Free Shipping, $99 white glove delivery option
- 100% money back guarantee for Returns / Refunds
- American made
- All organic, natural materials and construction.
The Avocado mattress is priced higher than many of the mattresses we have tested. It comes in at $1399 for a Queen which makes it a little pricier than foam mattresses, but less than all latex mattresses in general. However, this is a great price for a high-quality organic mattress, and it is surprisingly low given the luxurious materials included.
The Tomorrow Sleep mattress is a 10″ hybrid pocketed coil and foam mattress made up of 4 layers. It comes in 2 firmness options Medium Soft and Medium Firm, and the one we tested is Medium Soft.
- 1″ Comfort Layer – This layer is 1″ of 4.8lb Visco Elastic memory foam designed to distribute your body weight and provide pressure relief. It is coated with phase-change temperature regulating material that pulls the heat away or keeps it close to your body.
- 2″ Support / Cooling Layer – This layer is 2″ of 2.5lb gel infused memory foam that provides additional support and reduces heat retention.
- 6″ Support Layer – This layer is made up of 6″ of pocketed innerspring coils and a 3″ thick ventilated side rail system around the coils that promotes airflow through the sides of the mattress for additional cooling.
- 1″ Foundation Layer – This layer is 1″ of high-density base foam that serves as the foundation for the coil system.
The cover is made from phase-change regulating material with breathable open weave, and a smooth and soft finish that adds to the comfort and airflow.
Firmness and support
Tomorrow Sleep comes in two firmness options and the Medium Soft model we tested scores 5-6 out of 10, with 10 being the firmest. Its top comfort layer provides a soft luxurious feel, and the underlying coils and foam provide good support underneath which makes this mattress ideal for heavier sleepers.
The Tomorrow Sleep mattress offers good support in all sleeping positions. It provides you with enough give in the top comfort layer to support your hips and shoulders and with enough firmness when you switch to your back or stomach.
The Tomorrow Sleep offers a lot of comfort as well. Coils combined with the gel memory foam top layer offer a good push-back and bounce, and provide your body with a nice contour and hug. This mattress is supportive and allows you to sleep soundly in all sleeping positions, while the soft cover keeps you cool and adds to the comfort.
The Tomorrow Sleep, unlike Avocado mattress, does a good job in reducing heat due to the gel foam layer in the top comfort layer combined with the phase-change material in the covers. The nature of its innerspring coils allows good airflow, and the perforated edge panels around the coils contribute to this.
Sinkage and Motion Transfer
The Tomorrow Sleep does a good job with minimizing sinkage although it is only 10″ in height. Although my partner Andrew did compress the mattress when sitting up, he did not come to rest on our foundation below the mattress.
The support coils kept this from happening and prevented me from rolling into him which often happens with less supportive 10″ mattresses due to our weight disparity.
The edge support layer incorporated within this mattress provides good edge support. As it is a hybrid coil mattress, it has a certain degree of motion transfer, but nothing too extreme like it is the case with some competing beds.
The Tomorrow Sleep gets high marks for not having any noticeable smell upon opening the box. Hybrid coil/foam construction of this mattress minimizes the degree of off-gassing that all foam mattresses usually have.
- 365 night Trial period
- 10-year Warranty
- Free Shipping
- American made at the Serta manufacturing facility.
The Tomorrow Sleep is very reasonably priced, and you can get a Queen size for $865 after clicking here and using our $125 off code: MFT125. This is an excellent price given the quality of materials used in this mattress.
Avocado vs. Tomorrow Sleep Mattress Comparison
Below is our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of the Avocado vs. Tomorrow Sleep mattress.
|Layers||2″ of softer natural Dunlop latex, 1″ of firmer Dunlop latex, 8″ of pocketed innerspring coils||1″ of 4.8lb Visco Elastic memory foam infused with phase-change temperature regulating material, 2″ of 2.5lb gel infused memory foam, 6″ of pocketed innerspring coils, 1″ of high density base foam|
|Coil Count||1303 in the largest mattress||800 in a Queen|
|Cover||Organic cotton and New Zealand wool cover, hand tufted rosettes, hand-sewn upholstered handles on the sides||Stretchy mix of polyester and nylon|
|Firmness||6 out of 10||5-6 out of 10|
|Motion Transfer||Higher than in most other mattresses||Higher than in most memory foam mattresses|
|Warranty||10 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||100 days||100 days|
|Shipping||Free shipping, $99 white glove delivery option||Free shipping|
|Refunds & Returns||Yes||No|
Which Mattress Is Right for You?
Choose Avocado mattress if you like:
- Eco-friendly materials – The Avocado mattress is made of eco-friendly materials without petroleum-based polyurethane foam, toxic flame retardants, dangerous pesticides, and without risk from volatile chemicals and gasses.
- Supportive and comfortable mattress – The mattress provides a good support from the pocketed coil foundation layer, while the latex top layer provides more of a comfort and sensation of floating.
- Mattress with bounce – The combination of latex and innerspring coils used in the mattress construction creates a pretty large degree of bounce.
Choose Tomorrow Sleep mattress if you like:
- Memory foam feel – Memory foam top layer of this mattress provides a good contour to your body and gives you a feeling of body hug which is typical for memory foam.
- Breathable mattress – The innerspring coil layer and aerated side support layer allow excellent airflow through the mattress while the gel foam layer in the top comfort layer and the phase-change material in the covers reduce heat retention.
- Mattress with bounce – The support layer made of a pocketed coil system provides a good degree of bounce and prevents sinking too far through memory foam layers.
- Sharing your bed – The Tomorrow Sleep mattress performed well on the motion transfer test, and it is a good choice if you plan on sharing your bed with a partner as your sleep will not be disturbed by shaking of the mattress when changing positions with your partner or getting in and out of bed during the night.